The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

What has Don Waddell done for this franchise?

It is so interesting that this topic came up because I have noticed the stub hub trend starting about 2 weeks ago.  I have a full season, and I don't attend all of the games.  I have some regular buyers plus I will post on stub hub occasionally.  At the beginning of the year, it was no problem.  However, I have noticed recently the amount of tickets has increased and the prices have dropped.  Some of the tickets are surely from STH's like myself as well as brokers, but lots of the tickets are in huge blocks (as much as 14 seats in a row) for several rows and sections at super low prices.  STH's cannot sell at some of the prices these tickets are posted at.  I don't even think brokers will take some of these hits.  I understand as a STH you are going to lose money on most games.  However, what they are doing is just wrong.  I truly believe it is the organization trying to make at least some money.  I have been a season ticket holder for over 15 years and this practice (if it is true) is maddening.   If you were going to do this, why did you not just drop season ticket holder prices for renewals and new customers instead of raising them to ridiculous prices.  You would have helped out your new and renewing STH's.  I think they just realized (a little late) that they really messed up with the new prices, and are trying to get anything they can.

Edited by cathyl111

been monitoring Stub Hub for el chepo tickets.not there

By the way, I've purchased tickets on the secondary market a few times over the past several years and there are brokers that are cheaper than Stub Hub (and it seems like a lot of times different brokers have the same seats for sale).  I doubt I can post them here, but if you're interested let me know and I'll message you the two I found to be the cheapest.  

.....  I understand as a STH you are going to lose money on most games.  However, what they are doing is just wrong.  I truly believe it is the organization trying to make at least some money.  I have been a season ticket holder for over 15 years and this practice (if it is true) is maddening.   If you were going to do this, why did you not just drop season ticket holder prices for renewals and new customers instead of raising them to ridiculous prices.  You would have helped out your new and renewing STH's.  I think they just realized (a little late) that they really messed up with the new prices, and are trying to get anything they can.

Ah, a reasonable voice.  IMO you deserve better as a 15 year STH, and so do the players who now perform in a half full barn.

Even if some of the tickets on stubhub are brokers, one of the main points is still valid.   The Canes rightly should offer a discount to brokers who are buying in bulk, but why did they insist on increasing prices for their valued (ha!ha!) season ticket holder base.  They could have passed along some savings to us also.   I know the product is bad, but they could have possibly created some buzz if they restructured the pricing in a positive way for the consumer. 

I also feel bad as Manwolf mentioned for the players.  Has to be a real downer to be playing in front of so few fans.  Also does not create a fun atmosphere for fans.

Many people say they don't like paying these prices for such a bad product.  However, I think the prices have become so inflated even if the product on the ice was better, we would still be overpaying.  The prices are just not in line with the market.

Edited by cathyl111

It does seem like the Canes are selling tickets on stubhub at extreme discounts.  It makes me wonder why anyone would buy season tickets when you can get seats to every game on stubhub WAY cheaper.  I have been to several games this year and the crowds are even smaller than last year.  The boxscore has the attendance around 9 to 10K most nights.  I was there on Sunday, and it looked more like 6K.  That should be a sign to the team that the prices are way to high for this market.  I think that the gate prices are way to high. $90 is the cheapest lower level seat which is crazy when I can get a similar seat for under $40 most nights on Stubhub.  I did a little comparison to seats in Nashville (similar southern hockey market)  center ice there is $104 on weeknights and the similar seat here is $140! 

Of course it will be hard to get people in the seats with the loosing product we have become accustomed to the past few seasons.  However, lowering prices for season ticket holders and the gate prices next year will be a nice start to help loyal fans rather than raising prices every year.  I believe they were on to something when they started the fan zone in the upper level a few season ago.  $15 for a full season is a great value and in line with most stubhub prices up there.  They should implement a fan zone in the lower level where you can get a season ticket in the $35-$40 range which is in line with most cheap stub hub lower level prices.  This new fan zone would need to be in the side the canes shoot twice because what canes fan wants to sit on the side with all the opposing fans.  They also need to give better discounts to the mini plans.  The current mini plans barely get any discount over our inflated gate prices.  Most people could just make their own mini plan on stubhub.  They really need to do some price cutting to give fans incentive to buy from them rathan than the much cheaper secondary market. 

Edited by teamjelly

How can you feel better about it with quotes like
"“Our lease is a public document that everyone has access to,” he said. “Try to find a way out of it and when you do, call Pete and tell him how.”"

So if he could get out of it, he would?

Somehow I'm not comforted by this but Waddell adds his voice to the we aren't moving  crew

Hurricanes president denies team could move to Quebec

My opinion on the attendance is that cheap seats are available through known methods (they always will be) and people still would rather stay home. The fans are finally not accepting a mediocre product and forcing the Hurricanes to get it together.

Yes - poor attendance is related to poor performance.  However, the situation is made worse because of the low season ticket holder base - which is definitely affected by price.

By the way, I've purchased tickets on the secondary market a few times over the past several years and there are brokers that are cheaper than Stub Hub (and it seems like a lot of times different brokers have the same seats for sale).  I doubt I can post them here, but if you're interested let me know and I'll message you the two I found to be the cheapest.  

Message me

Yes - poor attendance is related to poor performance.  However, the situation is made worse because of the low season ticket holder base - which is definitely affected by price.

right now, it seems as if STH are not showing up

a related question is if the ratings for the Canes games has also declined.  hope it is not at the point where an infomercial has better ratings than the game

If hockey fans were as dedicated as all of us on this site the Canes would be selling a constant 15,000 tix for each game.  Waddell said he was the one who dropped the discounting when he came aboard and wanted the real value of the ticket to be the norm.  Unfortunately the product on the ice did nothing to help this strategy so now the discounting tactic has crept back into play 'unofficially' sanctioned by the 'suits' like Wadell i'm sure. 

Like '06, I believe that if the Canes were a top 10 team all season long they would be getting 15,000+ a game. 

Its way more depressing for us fans who show up to a game with 6,000 fans then it is for players who show up to play in the same barn who are millionaires, or on their way to becoming one whether they play in front of 6,000 or 16,000.  Example: Erics salary this year is 9,250,000.00.  Divided by 82 games thats $112,804.87 per game.  What does he care if there are 18 fans or 18,000 fans watching?  His heavy lifting begins after the game when he picks up that check.