The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The coaching Ax falls in Pitt

Pens make coaching change

Mike Sullivan has been named head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins, it was announced today by General Manager Jim Rutherford.

Sullivan replaces Mike Johnston, who was relieved of his duties earlier today.

Assistant coach Gary Agnew also was relieved of his duties.

It's interesting JR went with his AHL coach but Jacques Martin moves down to the bench as an assistant and Rick Tocchet stays as an assistant so they have some experience on the bench.

I guess the rumors of an unhappy locker room had some merit. If you can't change the players you change the coach. In Pens land its win now that counts.

So Rutherford fires his second coach in less than two years. Who hired Johnston anyway? Who built the team? Once again Rutherford takes no real responsibility. And he tries to tell the coach which players should dress. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

He'll leave the Penguins as screwed up as the Hurricanes by the time he clears out his office.

So Rutherford fires his second coach in less than two years. Who hired Johnston anyway? Who built the team? Once again Rutherford takes no real responsibility. And he tries to tell the coach which players should dress. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

He'll leave the Penguins as screwed up as the Hurricanes by the time he clears out his office.

Well . . .technically that's true.  But given that the first thing JR did after he was hired was to fire Bylsma, you've got to believe the decision was actually made by Pens ownership before JR even got there.  And Johnston was hired so shortly after JR came on board I wouldn't be surprised if that decision was 80% made before JR got there, as well. 

Sorry, I know it makes people feel better to blast JR.  But we Canes fans are still suffering enough from JR moves that I think we've got enough legitimate Carolina complaints to sustain us for a while without picking up potentially questionable Pittsburgh ones.  :D

Edited by LakeLivin

I was mostly just making a general comment on the OP.  ;)

As far as facts, the only thing I've read is JR going public about not being on the same page as the coach over a prospect he wanted to evaluate by seeing him in the lineup. 

I don't have any idea about anything else other than some of the moves he's made in the win-now montra that haven't worked, the lost 1st round picks, and a farm system that's looking increasingly barren.

Good for the Pens.   :applaud:

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't have any idea about anything else other than some of the moves he's made in the win-now montra that haven't worked, the lost 1st round picks, and a farm system that's looking increasingly barren.

Why does this song seem familiar?

I think having him out of Carolina makes it easier to see the issues with his moves. Frankly I'm not sure many would disagree that he squandered the good will from 2006 and failed miserably. There's a reason he was "retired".

The man hired Johnston. He mortgaged the future of the Penguins to try and ensure a "win now" situation. But the team is still flawed (but still five games above 500--I'd take that!). How much of this was Johnston not playing Daniel Sprong?

I don't care what happens in Pitt. But I just think this smacks of Rutherford's prior history in Carolina. And I'm glad he's not calling the shots in Carolina any longer.

It took him many years to decimate the Hurricanes system to the point he did.  I don't think the Penguins will give him enough time to do that much damage,  If they don't win quickly, he'll be moved along.  I just hope when that happens, the Hurricanes don't go bringing him in as some senior advisor or something.