The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

The Trickle Before the Flood?

Heard it too.  They were saying that the centers they have are physically worn out after 82 games and can't perform to their skill set when the playoffs come around. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

I've also read speculation today that Habs could go after Stamkos.  I don't know about the logistics of such a deal, but if TB isn't sure they're going to be able to re-sign Stamkos they should be able to get a sizeable return in a trade.

There is a strong argument in favor of not waiting 'til the TD, especially for teams with cap issues. Saving the odd million here or there now is going to be a lot easier than when under deadline pressure.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a big transaction for at least one major pending UFA sometime between now and mid-January. 

The other advantage for a team near the cut line is more time w/ their shiny new player to play their way into the playoffs. Also, you're not up against the cutoff time for a last minute deal.

The NHL's longest season-starting trade drought in a long time is finally over: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=792704&navid=nhl:topheads

Still trickling as of yet. I did see this evening that the Flyers traded Lecavalier and Luke Schenn to the Kings for forward Jordan Weal and a 2016 third-rounder - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=796383&navid=nhl:topheads

Oh, and the Caps signed Mike Richards to a pro-rated one-year, $1 million contract - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=796385&navid=nhl:topheads

Edit: the flood may have started - Ryan Johansen traded by the Blue Jackets to Nashville for Seth Jones! http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=796417&navid=DL|NHL|home

Edited by JonKerfoot

Edit: the flood may have started - Ryan Johansen traded by the Blue Jackets to Nashville for Seth Jones! http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=796417&navid=DL|NHL|home

So that's what it took pretty big price. Well we probably couldn't have gotten in on that. Really intrigued by the idea of us getting him though. I knew we probably wouldn't but still.

And yes, they won't come a knockin' for Eric now, at least probably not. That would have been a good spot too...

Edited by remkin

So that's what it took pretty big price. Well we probably couldn't have gotten in on that. Really intrigued by the idea of us getting him though. I knew we probably wouldn't but still.

And yes, they won't come a knockin' for Eric now, at least probably not. That would have been a good spot too...

I don't think E goes anywhere other than a contender. If he's going to wind up in someplace like Columbus, it'll be on his next deal.

I don't think E goes anywhere other than a contender. If he's going to wind up in someplace like Columbus, it'll be on his next deal.

Nashville. It would have been Eric to Nashville. They are a contender and really needed help at center. Now, w/ Johansen, they won't make a play for Eric, most likely, though at the deadline maybe still...

Also, Columbus may be better off long term w/ Jones, but they are also closer to tanking this year for a top forward in the draft. They got a really nice return for a guy they first devalued.

Edited by remkin

Nashville. It would have been Eric to Nashville. They are a contender and really needed help at center. Now, w/ Johansen, they won't make a play for Eric, most likely, though at the deadline maybe still...

Also, Columbus may be better off long term w/ Jones, but they are also closer to tanking this year for a top forward in the draft. They got a really nice return for a guy they first devalued.

I really don't think tanking is as much on teams' radars this year. There's no Eichels or McDavids. Good players yeah, but not crazy good.

You may recall I proposed E and J to CBJ for Johansen, someone you also said intrigued you. My prior post was just referencing that E Staal alone isn't going to bring back anybody like a Johansen - or a Jones. He's a rental for the coming playoff run, and where he lands next is anybody's guess, as you've often noted.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Not a bad deal for either team, but as of today it definitely benefits Nashville more, but i still don't think that makes them better than any of the 5 teams ahead of them in the standings.

Good point on Columbus.  This move will solidify the worst record for them, which could net them Matthews.

I think our trade partners will be Pacific Division teams...since that division is a real pillow fight and just about ALL those teams are in playoff contention because they all (except LA) suck right now.

Yeah, long term this could be a good deal for Columbus, but I'll bet you that behind closed doors part of the plan is to make up for the loss of Johansen by picking one of the top forwards in this year's draft.

Nashville was a more likely landing spot for Eric because they badly needed a center for a playoff run. Also as a bubble team they would have been a good one to get a first round pick from since they could still miss the playoffs.

Yeah, long term this could be a good deal for Columbus, but I'll bet you that behind closed doors part of the plan is to make up for the loss of Johansen by picking one of the top forwards in this year's draft.

Nashville was a more likely landing spot for Eric because they badly needed a center for a playoff run. Also as a bubble team they would have been a good one to get a first round pick from since they could still miss the playoffs.

Basically, the only East teams that might become trade partners for us are Ottawa and New Jersey.  Like I said above, just about all the Pacific Division teams sans LA are potentials (and we have LA's 1st rounder this year anyways) and MAYBE St. Louis in the Central.  The other teams are solidly in or solidly out.

Basically, the only East teams that might become trade partners for us are Ottawa and New Jersey.  Like I said above, just about all the Pacific Division teams sans LA are potentials (and we have LA's 1st rounder this year anyways) and MAYBE St. Louis in the Central.  The other teams are solidly in or solidly out.

Shero for NJ's already said he's not going to sacrifice their youth for short-term success.  The only thing i'd want from them is either Zacha or their 1st, neither of which will probably happen.  I want to say Ottawa's GM said something along those lines as well.

Imo opinion, Nashville shouldn't be done dealing.  I still don't think they have the scoring depth to go on a long run.  It wouldn't surprise me if they made another rental deal.

In general, I could see any of the top 10 Western teams, excluding Dallas/LA/Arizona, going after Staal at the deadline.  Chicago likes to keep an edge on the competition (they went after Vermette last year when they really didn't need to).  There's a lot at stake in St. Louis, they have to decide on what to do with Backes, and if they're out in the first again Ken Hitchcock is a goner.  Minnesota's trying to get over the hump, having a player like Staal would go a long way towards being formidable against Chicago (their Kryptonite).  Doubtful Colorado gives up a 1st for a rental, but i think there's a pressure there to make the playoffs with the amount of talent on that team.

Minnesota's trying to get over the hump, having a player like Staal would go a long way towards being formidable against Chicago (their Kryptonite).  Doubtful Colorado gives up a 1st for a rental, but i think there's a pressure there to make the playoffs with the amount of talent on that team.

Colorado's going to be dealing...they're so far at the bottom of a stacked Central Division, Sakic is no dummy...and I doubt Minnesota will deal for a Staal or Ward.  A mid-level, maybe.  But they've got Parise, Suter, Koivu, and two decent goalies to boot.