The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
wesley-number-1-fan

Commentators...

They always cheer for the Canes, but they do give credit where credit is due, even if it's to the opposing team. I think that just makes them better commentators. I can't stand biased commentators.

Covering and cheering for are two different things. Forslund calls games for VS sometimes when he isn't calling Canes games, so he has the ability to be unbiased.

As far as an announcers loyalty to a team I really think it depends on how long they have called the games and where they played, if at all, as a player. In general the longer a guy has been with a team the more of a fan he will be, which I think is why you get so many teams where the same guy calls the game for so many years, because they get attached.

Clearly, Tripp and John do the broadcast for Cane's fans and take that perspective. However, they do point out great plays, great players, and great strategy by the other team when they see it. They also point out when we're not playing well either and can be critical of the Cane's when called for (John can be counted on this more than Tripp). Having had Center Ice for many seasons, I think for the most part we're truly fortunate to have this tandem on our broadcasts.

i agree with those of you that have said that john and tripp seem to direct their commentary toward fans of the canes. however, they also provide lots of good info on the opponents, and point out good hockey plays. while watching center-ice, i have noticed that not all announcers are like that. some announcers show little to no emotion when the opposing team scores a goal. john and tripp at least announce the goal with some enthusiasm.

Our trio of broadcasters tend to be some of the most unbiased in the league. We're lucky to have that...you learn more about the game listening to John and Chuck (Tripp, a bit less so :lol:) than some of the hockey broadcasters that have team-colored glasses on all the time (see the ATL radio guys and the FLA TV guys for examples of such idiot broadcasters).

I wouldn't say they're unbiased, they are just more willing to criticize the team when it is not playing well, as opposed to the annoucers for other teams who seek to blame someone else for poor play.

I wouldn't say they're unbiased, they are just more willing to criticize the team when it is not playing well, as opposed to the annoucers for other teams who seek to blame someone else for poor play.

*cough-dennispotvin-rickjenerette-cough*

That's a good point with both those guys. Potvin first stirred the pot with his hype about the Canes' diving and it quickly became a rallying cry - though an uninformed one - for the fans and their media. He continued to fan the flames but finally had enough sense and professionalism to acknowledge the absurdity of the diving calls on Halloween.

Jeanerette and company went over-the-top last year when Cole come up high on a hit along the boards and nailed Campbell in the head. They stirred emotions by wrongly comparing it to the Orpik hit and calling Cole dirty and hypocritical. Again the fans jumped on this theme too.

When Tallinder made a similar, although worse, hit on Bayda in the Buffalo game this year, Forslund quickly pointed out it was a dirty play but very uncharacteristic of Tallinder and must have been done out of frustration. That was a very fair assessment and as such there was no outcry from Canes fans. Big difference vs. other markets and goes to show how the media can in fact color a fan base's perceptions.

That's a good point with both those guys. Potvin first stirred the pot with his hype about the Canes' diving and it quickly became a rallying cry - though an uninformed one - for the fans and their media. He continued to fan the flames but finally had enough sense and professionalism to acknowledge the absurdity of the diving calls on Halloween.

Jeanerette and company went over-the-top last year when Cole come up high on a hit along the boards and nailed Campbell in the head. They stirred emotions by wrongly comparing it to the Orpik hit and calling Cole dirty and hypocritical. Again the fans jumped on this theme too.

When Tallinder made a similar, although worse, hit on Bayda in the Buffalo game this year, Forslund quickly pointed out it was a dirty play but very uncharacteristic of Tallinder and must have been done out of frustration. That was a very fair assessment and as such there was no outcry from Canes fans. Big difference vs. other markets and goes to show how the media can in fact color a fan base's perceptions.

Those were exactly the examples I was thinking of when I typed that ;)

Those were exactly the examples I was thinking of when I typed that ;)

1. It is "Jeanneret"

2. Outcry in Buffalo would have happened regardless of what the announcers said, mainly due to how the hit looked (any time a guy's helmet flies off it doesn't help) or how Cole behaved when he was given the penalty.

2. Jim Lorrentz is gone and Harry Neale has taken his place, and as we all know from his work on Hockey Night in Canada, he offers a much less biased perspective, so you probable won't be hearing much "homer" talk anymore from the Sabres crew.

1. It is "Jeanneret"

2. Outcry in Buffalo would have happened regardless of what the announcers said, mainly due to how the hit looked (any time a guy's helmet flies off it doesn't help) or how Cole behaved when he was given the penalty.

2. Jim Lorrentz is gone and Harry Neale has taken his place, and as we all know from his work on Hockey Night in Canada, he offers a much less biased perspective, so you probable won't be hearing much "homer" talk anymore from the Sabres crew.

The one thing Jeanneret does that I love is his calling of fights. Pure entertainment :lol:

1. It is "Jeanneret"

The one thing Jeanneret does that I love is his calling of fights. Pure entertainment :lol:

lol I think the best example of that is to listen to the two different versions of the Ottawa/Buffalo brawl game last year. The Sens announcers sound like they are bored to tears...while RJ is once again sounding like he is about to have a heart attack.

lol I think the best example of that is to listen to the two different versions of the Ottawa/Buffalo brawl game last year. The Sens announcers sound like they are bored to tears...while RJ is once again sounding like he is about to have a heart attack.

He sounds that way just calling a breakaway, LOL. I can't remember what game it was but Peters was fighting someone and they were basically skating in circles and not doing anything. Jeanerrete was half laughing saying, "there's a whole lot of nothing going on out there". You had to hear it for yourself, LOL.

He sounds that way just calling a breakaway, LOL. I can't remember what game it was but Peters was fighting someone and they were basically skating in circles and not doing anything. Jeanerrete was half laughing saying, "there's a whole lot of nothing going on out there". You had to hear it for yourself, LOL.

haha, I think I know what you're talking about with the fight. And yes, the random raising of his voice when the puck is anywhere near the net can be a little jarring at times - like when I'm driving for example. lol I love what he does, but when I can't see it, and I'm trying to drive home from work as quickly as possible (but within the speed limit of course haha) to watch the remaining minutes of the third period, it's quite unsettling to be stuck behind a slow person and hear Rick's random bursts of excitment. haha

oh but chuck does the same thing with his voice. sometimes it's cause the puck is near the net, guys are trying to stuff it in, etc. But wow, sometimes he just kinda randomly raises his voice. it can get a bit hair raising, like you said, if you are driving. since radio is all (for only about 15 more days) that I have for the canes games, he gets me a little on the edge of my seat. but thats ok, at least it is something. he is VERY knowledgeable though, which is GREAT, and seems to be quite the middle-of-the-road commentator as far as being a homer or not is concerned. we are lucky to have guys who are like that.

1. It is "Jeanneret"

1. Two point mandatory deduction for the misspelling. <_<

2. Cole's response was due to the fact that it was a retaliatory hit on Campbell and though it doesn't make it right it gets lost in the Buffalo account. Sorry but when I heard many times from the Buffalo fans that live here that Cole was dirty and a hypocrite for that hit after Orpik had drilled him, it's pretty clear the argument was framed by call of the game or from the sports talk radio bashing after they picked up the torch. That's media frenzy and willing fans buying in.

I remember watching a Sabres game last year against Montreal and with an empty net Vanek blows by Souray who slashes him as a last resort and the announcers immediately start lobbying for a suspension. Totally over the top and I remember reading posts the next day calling for Souray's suspension, an absurd argument.

That's the point here and it is further illustrated by Tallinder's hit. The Canes' announcers could have fanned the flames and pointed to Tallinder getting boarded by Alfredsson and labeled him a hypocrite but they said he was not a dirty player and was probably just frustrated. No frenzy and no lynch mobs in the fan base.

3. Your point 2 is actually point 3 and that's also a mandatory deduction. :lol: Actually the homer talk is baked into every telecast and it's just a matter of how much.