The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

Canes replace Fireman's helmet with an Ax. "Championship Belt" still in play.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=794730

beltzoom.jpg

"The Carolina Hurricanes have a new piece of celebratory postgame hardware getting passed around the locker room after wins: a championship belt, similar to one you see in boxing or wrestling.

The front of the belt is adorned with the Hurricanes logo in the center with the words “Carolina Hurricanes” above it and “Est. 1997” below it. Among other elements, the secondary logo can be found on one side above “P2W” – more on that below – and “Team First” on the side opposite.

The belt was first doled out by head coach Bill Peters following the Canes’ win over New Jersey on Saturday. He awarded it to Andrej Nestrasil, who packed it up for the trek to Chicago and then passed it on to John-Michael Liles following the team’s 2-1 win on Sunday. Liles was spotted strutting around with the belt in the locker room. He even carried it on and off the plane and to practice today."

Seems like there's still some confusion as to what the belt stands for and it's significance alongside the Fireman's Helmet:

Michael Smith:  "Peters was coy when I asked him about it . . ."

Nestrasil:  “The fireman’s helmet for me means work ethic. That should be a work ethic award,” he said. “The belt, I don’t know, someone who gets a hat-trick or wins the game. We’ll see.”

Liles:  "Right now it’s a combination of, I believe, hardest working or laying it on the line or something. There’s a lot of speculation going around.”

Liles: "Honestly, I don’t think we’ve really narrowed down what the belt stands for. Given that I won it last night, the rumor is that it’s for the best 35-year-old in the game."

It will be interesting to see what the belt really means, or comes to mean. :letssee:

Edited by LakeLivin
changed title to reflect new Ax award

Liles line was pretty funny. Didn't see the part about P2W. What that stands for. Hey if it keeps this winning going, I'm all for it.

I like the belt! P2W? Play to Win?

That's what Michael Smith hypothesized, but Liles said no.

“That one’s going to remain a secret. It’s going to remain in the room. It’s like Vegas. What happens here, stays here.”

Hm. P-squared W.

Perfect Practice Wins? (I recall hearing long ago that John Wooden was quoted as saying "practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect" or something of the sort).

Persistence Produces Wins? This is a possibility....

To quote the old Tootsie-Pop commercials, "The world will never know...."

Edited by JonKerfoot

Welcome surfzone.

Has anyone further clarified the difference between the helmet and the belt awards?

I need to know.

Well can't help ya'll but I figured I'd finally throw my opinion in the ring on these things.

Considering wrestling is a essentially a bunch of actors putting on a show I don't personally care for the belt. Seems like too much, anything more it'll be little league and everyone get's an after game trinket.

I like the fireman's helmet and maybe it's a used helmet that got cleaned up but I hate that it's clean and pristine. I think a helmet that look's like it's been in the real deal and had to come out strong through it all would be far more fitting.

Well can't help ya'll but I figured I'd finally throw my opinion in the ring on these things.

Considering wrestling is a essentially a bunch of actors putting on a show I don't personally care for the belt. Seems like too much, anything more it'll be little league and everyone get's an after game trinket.

I like the fireman's helmet and maybe it's a used helmet that got cleaned up but I hate that it's clean and pristine. I think a helmet that look's like it's been in the real deal and had to come out strong through it all would be far more fitting.

True, but I believe the championship belt originated in boxing, and that's as real as it gets.  I'll have to reserve judgement on "over awarding" until I learn what the intended difference between the two awards actually is.  I'm sure Peters had a reason for introducing a 2nd one beyond just fluffing up another Cane.  

I don't know, silly hats, gaudy belts, maybe we can add ruby slippers and wish ourselves into the playoffs.

There was a time a pat on the back (side) and the words nice game from the coach was all you needed or expected for motivation.

I just keep thinking what would of happened to the poor soul who tried to hang that hat on Stan Mikita.

I guess whatever works .

I don't know, silly hats, gaudy belts, maybe we can add ruby slippers and wish ourselves into the playoffs.

There was a time a pat on the back (side) and the words nice game from the coach was all you needed or expected for motivation.

I just keep thinking what would of happened to the poor soul who tried to hang that hat on Stan Mikita.

I guess whatever works .

They are just trying to have a little fun.

I guess whatever works . "Whatever It Takes."

Fixed it for ya :)

And you're right, Makita would have dropped this stuff like a bad habit, my fellow member of the GET OFF MY LAWN society.

I'm a member of that society as well, but the fireman's hat and the championship belt totally harken back to my 3rd grade soccer team where at the end of the season the coach gave every one of us our own individual 'award'... there were a couple on the team who got, i don't know, 'best benchwarmer' and 'best shoe-tier' i guess - i don't remember much more than my getting 'best defensive player' which probably just meant i scored less than anyone else or something... i mean it was 3rd grade soccer...

OBX is right, the ruby slippers would be the perfect follow-up.  Then maybe he can give out unicorn stickers for good deeds such as opening doors for ladies and stuff.  They could even put them on their skates.

There are 19-20 guys out there every night. 2 awards is 10%. I would especially like it if one were an elite performance big goal type thing and the other was a blood and guts kind of thing. The guys seem to wear them with pride, and lots of teams have these things, so I'm squarely in the "whatever works" category. A little deserved positive re-enforcement is not a bad thing, and far from a participation award.

Am I the biggest "kid" here at 52 years old?

I will say this though. If they start giving out too many of these things, then they might as well go the participation ribbon route.

Edited by super_dave_1