The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

Canes replace Fireman's helmet with an Ax. "Championship Belt" still in play.

Am I the biggest "kid" here at 52 years old?

I will say this though. If they start giving out too many of these things, then they might as well go the participation ribbon route.

You've got me by a few.  Not as many as i'd like, but a few.

You've got me by a few.  Not as many as i'd like, but a few.

I was just kind of wondering about the age of the "I'm too old for this crap" folks around here with the opinions on the silly hats/belt/ruby slippers bunch.

It's just a little fun for the boys in the room. If it works for them, then whatever.

I'm 50 and I like this kind of stuff. It helps keep the room loose and the guys seem to enjoy it. Keep in mind that it is for the players, not the fans, and if the players are down then so am I.

How can you be against the belt if you don't actually know what it's for? :huh:

I also believe that too many awards would dilute the meaning. But presubably the belt and helmet aren't like 1st and 2nd stars, rather they're awarded for different sets of criteria. My guess is that one award relates more to the "star" of the game and the other relates more to work ethic/ effort displayed throughout the game.  I don't have any problem with 2 distinct awards for 20 players. And the fact that they don't publicize who gets it leaves me to believe that it's more an internal motivational tool than a public "award". 

Sounds like I may be older than most here, but as long as they don't bring the whole neighborhood in, I"ll let a couple of kids play on my lawn.  :D 

I'm 56.

I've been too ornery for my own good for most of my life, and I'm getting more ornery by the minute.

If making ridiculous money to play the greatest game in the world with the best in the business isn't enough to motivate somebody - but adding a fire helmet does the trick - well, maybe the key to winning a Cup is a pedal-powered red plastic firetruck and a stuffed dalmatian to go along with it. 

Like I said. More ornery by the minute.  :lol:

Edited by top-shelf-1

If making ridiculous money to play the greatest game in the world with the best in the business isn't enough to motivate somebody - but adding a fire helmet does the trick - well, maybe the key to winning a Cup is a pedal-powered red plastic firetruck and a stuffed dalmatian to go along with it.

Anxiously awaiting the day EStaal rides out of the locker room in the firetruck with the helmet on his head for the post-game interview.

That would be funny as hell and he has to do a mouth siren as he rolls out for good measure.

Edited by legend-1

A shiny black traditional Darth Vader helmet with the alternate logo on it, to be in line with the black alternate unis, would be cool.  Perhaps some may see that as too original, or even over-the-top, but cool in my book!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

You try to tell the kids today, and they don't believe you.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---grumpy-old-man/n9887

In my day, we didn't have hockey pucks and goalie masks.  We took the connecting rod off an old car engine piston and used the piston for a puck, and when we hit the goalie in the face with it we scraped him off the ice and put his kid brother in goal.  AND WE LIKED IT!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---grumpy-old-man/n9887

In my day, we didn't have hockey pucks and goalie masks.  We took the connecting rod off an old car engine piston and used the piston for a puck, and when we hit the goalie in the face with it we scraped him off the ice and put his kid brother in goal.  AND WE LIKED IT!

Nice to know I have one more fellow sophisticate on the board. I love Grumpy Old Man.

P-squared W = Prove People Wrong!

Prove People Wrong is a movement that serves as inspiration and a constant reminder that success is a choice; that hard work and determination can overcome even the most daunting obstacles. It represents an individual’s commitment to pushing themselves and cultivating the champion spirit within.PPW embodies an attitude that can unify all driven by a common aspiration, to defy the odds and to “Prove People Wrong.” Let them keep doubting, keep writing you off, keep thinking you can’t. Doubt never fills you. It fuels you.

Edited by CincoNuwaywaay

Fireman's helmet is gone, replaced by an ax.  The ax is part of the new theme adopted by the Canes: "Chop Wood, Carry Water".

Bill Burniston, the Canes assistant strength and conditioning coach, was last year introduced to the phrase, which has its roots in Zen philosophy.  "It's about falling in love with the process, that we have to surrender the outcome and appreciate the process," Burniston explained.  Burniston introduced the ax and bucket to the team prior to the start of the season.  The ax travels with the Hurricanes from city to city [I guess the Canes aren't flying commercial :lol:], being handed around, player to player, with each victory. The bucket, meanwhile, remains in the Hurricanes' weight room. Each player who is awarded the ax will have his jersey number stickered onto the bucket, which will serve as an ever-present reminder of the motto.

"It's the symbol that we're working at all the little things that are going to make us successful," Burniston said. Full article: "Guys have bought in because they're doing the little things that make a big difference," he said. "On a daily basis, our guys are taking care of our bodies, getting our rest in, getting our recovery in, getting our workouts done, doing all the things that we can control. That's the most important thing: controlling what you can control."

Full article:  https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/chop-wood-carry-water-hurricanes-postgame-award/c-283834008

Even though they don't mention it, the belt is apparently still being passed out as you can see it draped over Aho's shoulder in the picture. Given the new award, I wonder if the P squared (at least that's how I interpret it) refers to process?

cut.png

Edited by LakeLivin

I really like the idea of that.

How do you get a team to focus on the little things that add up to winning? That's gotta be tough. Film is one way, pointing things out in the group review, but this is another way of honoring the things that don't show up on the score sheet, but are fundamental to winning.

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

cut.png

It's a good picture and all, but it just doesn't compare to the visual of Eric Staal with that fire helmet sitting on top of his head.  I still think it would have been even funnier had Eric come riding out in a firetruck go-cart.

On 11/18/2016 at 10:53 AM, LakeLivin said:

I wonder if the P squared (at least that's how I interpret it) refers to process?

I think the P2W is not P squared but refers to "play to win". I have no confirmation of that, however.

1 hour ago, MinJaBen said:

I think the P2W is not P squared but refers to "play to win". I have no confirmation of that, however.

The reason I suspect that it's P squared is that the "2" is superscript size and aligned at the top of the other letters instead of in the middle or at the bottom, which is where I'd think it would go if it were just another word. But I'm definitely speculating here as well.