The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Eric Staal Poll

The Eric Staal Poll  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK will end up happenign with Eric Staal?

• Re-signs with Canes before the deadline.
    • Traded before the deadline, not to return
    • Plays out the year, goes Free Agent, not to return
    • Plays out the year but still re-signs here after deadline/offseason
    • Rented and returns: traded, goes UFA, re-signs back here.
  2. 2. What do you WANT to see happen with Eric Staal?

• Re-signs before the deadline, stays with team
    • Traded before the deadline, not to return
    • Traded as rental, returns offseason to new deal
    • Plays out the year, does not return (added after 17 votes)
    • Plays out the year, no trade, signs back later (added after 17 votes)

Great time for us to visit Canada, though!

Road Trip!!! Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal: Feb 3,5,7! Now just have to get the cash, get it off work, get plane tickets and tickets to sold out games.

OK...never mind....

Edited by remkin

There's also the issue of currency value. Nobody wants to go to a Canadian team right now because Canadian dollars are worth 71 cents on the US dollar. Great time for us to visit Canada, though!

Oh and don't forget all of the fish Canada commercials. The problem now is that you need to drill to fish.

Road Trip!!! Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal: Feb 3,5,7! Now just have to get the cash, get it off work, get plane tickets and tickets to sold out games.

OK...never mind....

Hey, your U.S. dollar will go further on Canadian StubHub, too!

Oh and don't forget all of the fish Canada commercials. The problem now is that you need to drill to fish.

Hah! If I'm headed to Canada in winter, it ain't for the fishin'!

So, checking in on this poll, at the 33 Vote Mark.

First, 33 votes is actually pretty good for a poll these days, so thanks to all who voted.

Polls are tough because there are so many variables. For instance, those who want to see Eric back next year would likely change their vote if they knew it would take $8 million/year and a full NTC.

Anyways, the actual specific responses are above. I only offer three summary observations:

1. The plurality THINK traded and gone, but WANT traded and return. 

2. 42% THINK Eric is back here next year: 55% WANT Eric back here next year.

3. 85% WANT to see Eric Traded (most want him back, but still the vast majority want a trade before the deadline).

So, even of us hardened board fans, the heart still wants Eric Staal as a Cane next year, but the brain doesn't predict it. And even most of those who want him back, want that only AFTER a pre-deadline trade and sign back off season.

I am reading into this (that's my thing) that most board members realize that playoffs are a long shot, and that it's all about the future. The number one goal is return and picks and long term contender building. I'm guessing that some are thinking Eric back after the season also allows a more realistic, less pressured negotiation.

Oddly, I agree with all of that.

Edited by remkin

Another thought. Eric is on a 47 point, 14 goal pace. This will mark the third year in the 50 point neighborhood, and each declining.

While it is easy to think GM's want big established Centers, and that Eric Staal is still a marque name, GM's can read stat lines too. There is a little part of me that thinks Eric wants to stay here w/ hopes that this same organization will overpay him again so he doesn't have to chance the possibility that his size and name value might not overpower his last 3 years (and especially last 2 year's) stat line.

From our end, we have to take very special care NOT to do that. More reason to set our offer very low, and otherwise let the market determine his price. We have a bad track record on determining the value of Staal's.

I think that Eric is still a valuable player that would be good to have on a team. But as a second line, non captain, payed commensurate with around 50 points expected production. Is that how the market would pay him? Would he take that from us?

I just cannot imagine the latter. The former? Who knows?

While it is easy to think GM's want big established Centers, and that Eric Staal is still a marque name, GM's can read stat lines too. There is a little part of me that thinks Eric wants to stay here w/ hopes that this same organization will overpay him again so he doesn't have to chance the possibility that his size and name value might not overpower his last 3 years (and especially last 2 year's) stat line.

All it takes is one arrogant GM/Organization convinced that the reason E is underachieving is poor handling on the part of the Canes.  And that they do it better.  They will be convinced we surrounded him with the wrong talent, or coaching system.

At least that is what I think some other staffs will think.  Who knows for sure.

I am going to unpin this poll. Thanks to all who voted.

My bottom line:

43% think Eric is traded pre-deadline

86% want Eric traded pre-deadline

(57% of the want to trade Eric people want him back off season)

47% of voters want Eric gone for good

53% of voters want him here, either staying or rented and returned

While the (slim) majority want him to be here next year, it is worth noting that this is a much smaller number than at a similar time last year. Last year only 2 voters wanted to trade Eric, even for a proposed "haul" in return. 

Given that most fans want to keep their star player, I actually view this as a pretty big sign that a big segment of the fan base will be ok with it if Eric moves on. I would be willing to bet that a good portion of the voters for Eric stays here are assuming he stays with a big pay cut, and if it were known that he refused that, the stay votes would switch to move on.

Edited by remkin