The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

The Canes Goal Song

I haven't been to a Canes game live yet this year but in the background on tv "The Nights" doesn't sound all that great to me. The song has grown on me a bit, just not as a "goal song".

Thoughts, and suggestions for a replacement if you're not overly fond of it?

Here's an idea: Instead of going with something new, what if we went way back? Say, start out with Chuck Berry's 17 second guitar riff intro to Johnny B Goode 

But then blend in the initial vocals from a live version of Good Golly MIss Molly (begins around 1:07 of this video:

That would blend together seamlessly and it seems a lot more upbeat to me than The Nights.  It would definitely get me rocking a lot more. Or maybe I'm just showing my age? :wheelchair:

I'd be curious to hear what some of you younger caniacs think. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I don't like the new song that much, it is OK.  Some folk don't care about this stuff but I think it is very important.

Places that I think do it right:  Columbus, Montreal, Chicago, NYR  to name a few off the top of my head...

We used to rank #1.  So of course we changed it,  If you look at more recent rankings we are near the bottom of the league.  This is where we were:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/NHL-2010-11-Goal-Celebration-Ranking-Eastern-Co?urn=nhl-281859

Nice creativity Lake, I like your mix/mashup of those 2 classics together.

I actually like having a suite of several goal songs that alternate.  I'll cogitate on this a while and come up with my suggestion(s).

Avicii is OK for today.  I still think Tag Team "Woomp There It Is" would be awesome.  But they want to appeal to the kids.  I guess Tag Team is really old, but to me, it is new stuff.

Oh man, I'm old.  I'm all for Chuck Berry, but forget about Little Richard.  Not a fan.

Edited by wxray1

Nothing would be more boring to me as a goal song than 50's oldies, or worn-out football cheers.  But I'm not old and maybe I'm more open, I don't know. 

I'd rather hear Chevelle and Godsmack for warmups like they used to do 3 seasons ago but now we get some guy with dreadlocks spinning a fake turntable throwing out techno.

I like the new goal song, and there's folks in the arena that are figuring out when to do some chants with it.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The new goal song is just too soft. I do think it's important and this new one reminds me of family sitcom or kids show opening. Almost anything would be better i have an app that has all of them and I think ours is def one of the worst. That being said it was nice to hear it 5 times he other night! Hopin to be forced to have hear it again tomorrow !

Canes have downgraded the entire game "experience" IMO. The goal song, the new in game host is annoying, definitely a significant downgrade from Amber Jaye. The new announcer is annoying as well. The only in-game contests are people in a phone booth trying to catch $1 bills. It seems to me they just changed everything for the sake of change. Then again, most nights there are so few people there to see it all ...

The game is what matters, but it is nice to feel entertained when the puck is not in play.

I'm still partial to Blur's "Song 2" (the Woo-Hoo song).

The Offspring's "Nitro (Youth Energy)" would be an awesome goal song, and it perfectly describes how we should play every night: Like there's no tomorrow. 

Ramones "Hey Ho, Let's Go," and songs that get folks dancing are always good, like C+C Music Factory's "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)," and the Beatles' version of "Twist and Shout."

I'd prefer a rotation of goal songs that come in hard, are very fast, and very LOUD!!  :) Led Zeppelin's "Rock 'N Roll," Plastic Bertrand's "C'est Plane Pour Moi," etc. But you have to be careful. "Helter Skelter" would be great, but the Manson Family connection probably nixes it.

I'd also love to see a little creativity. Drop in a situation-specific song now and then, for example, "Panic in Detroit" when we score on the Red Wings.

And I totally think they should play Beck's "Loser" every time the opposition scores.  :lol:

Edited by top-shelf-1

Canes have downgraded the entire game "experience" IMO. The goal song, the new in game host is annoying, definitely a significant downgrade from Amber Jaye. The new announcer is annoying as well. The only in-game contests are people in a phone booth trying to catch $1 bills. It seems to me they just changed everything for the sake of change. Then again, most nights there are so few people there to see it all ...

The game is what matters, but it is nice to feel entertained when the puck is not in play.

They got rid of all the former personnel in the wake of "going in a new direction". No new direction, just the same old stuff with different flavors. I am tired of all the dubstep crap from the new DJ, all the annoying promotions, parachute drops, t-shirt tosses, on-ice bowling, crazy dancing caniac contests, and all the extra crap that is geared to the in-game experience of a teenager or a person in their 20's. But we did change out watching people running from house to house to a new game of moving vans flopping places. If they were going to move the in-game experience to a new direction, Doug Warf and his crew failed once again. At least Mike is there with his horn to keep the fans chanting on occasion. What do the rest of you think about the "new" in-game experience this year, now that we've had 3/4 season of it?

Edited by BillSmythe

I would bet in more traditional hockey markets you don't see so many in-game contests and the like. But they are playing to far more sophisticated hockey fans. Score more goals and win more games and people will forget about the in-game "entertainment" when the puck is not in play.

Some of the goal songs may be out of date (i.e. the Canes), but this gives you an idea of what everyone else does.

http://wejustscored.com

Dude that's awesome! Thanks for posting!

Gotta say - much as I hate to, just before we play them - the Devs is the best. None of the other's music comes in loud or hard enough after the horn sounds for my liking. 

Some of the goal songs may be out of date (i.e. the Canes), but this gives you an idea of what everyone else does.

http://wejustscored.com

Whenever I hear other teams goal horns it reminds me how great ours is, I don't feel as though most horns have enough bass, while some are too low. I have a biased ear but really think our is the best.  As for songs, as much as I hate to say it, the Caps is pretty nice with the sirens.

Bring back brass bonanza! :P

But seriously it seems like they just go with what's most generic and has the broadest appeal. That's no way to build tradition or an identity! I'd just like a more unique song that we can call our own. Just seems no creativity, passion, or imagination with what they're doing. Same thing that happened with the new jerseys..

Bonus: http://wejustscored.com/teams/hfd.html