The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
BBC-line

The Great Captain Debate

Two Questions:

One- I don't think we choose a new C this season but who do you think should get it for 2016-2017? Jordan? Faulk?

Two- We will be fielding 3 A's the rest of the year, who will be the 3rd until Faulk gets back?

Edited by BBC-line

1. Jordan has already been leading this team since December. He is finally out of the shadow of Crosby, Malkin and now Eric and has a chance to show he can be a leader of the team. Jordan is the more experienced, more mature player and I believe can handle the responsibility better than Faulk can at this point in Faulk's career.

2. Until Faulk gets back, I'd say Lindholm.

1. Peters has already said he won't name another C this season.

2. I'm guessing the extra A goes to Skinner. I would have said maybe McClement but he's out and I don't see them naming someone else and then pulling it when McClement comes back.

Edited by LakeLivin

1. Jordan has already been leading this team since December. He is finally out of the shadow of Crosby, Malkin and now Eric and has a chance to show he can be a leader of the team. Jordan is the more experienced, more mature player and I believe can handle the responsibility better than Faulk can at this point in Faulk's career.

2. Until Faulk gets back, I'd say Lindholm.

I think I agree with you on Jordan, heard Adam and Joe today suggesting Faulk should get the C. I disagree with that.

As for the 3rd A, I really don't know who to give it to, whoever gets it becomes the odds on favorite to be one of our "A's" of the future whenever Hainsey leaves.

One question back your way:

Are you seriously going forward sporting that avatar? :D

As to your questions -

If I were to pick one today, I'd say Hainsey or Jordan Staal.  I don't think the A's will change since we aren't picking a C this season.  Next season, I wouldn't rule Hainsey or Staal or Faulk out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

One question back your way:

Are you seriously going forward sporting that avatar? :D

As to your questions -

If I were to pick one today, I'd say Hainsey or Jordan Staal.  I don't think the A's will change since we aren't picking a C this season.  Next season, I wouldn't rule Hainsey or Staal or Faulk out.

Do you see a problem with this avatar? I feel as though it brings a begrudging smirk to board members even on the gloomiest of days. It's my passive way of trolling everyone on on the board. haha

I think Jordan is the favorite but not sure if the fact his brother was captain plays for or against him at all, I would assume not but maybe.

I agree the rest of the years our A's will be Jordan, Faulk, and Hainsey but my question is who you think will fill the 3rd A until Faulk is back. The reason I think that is important is because I think whoever it ends up being becomes the likely choice as fulltime Alternate in the post Hainsey era.

If it were up to me (which it isn't), i'd send all coaches and management out to lunch and tell the players to choose their captains while they're away.

This is how it should be, NHL captains seem to just default to a teams best player these days and that's not how it should be. If Jordan or Faulk are the true leaders I am fine with them but would be just as fine with anyone else aslong as they have the leadership our young guys need.

I see no topic we should be less involved in regarding this team than who the captain should be.

We don't see the locker room interaction, we don't hang out with the team, we don't know who the true leaders are, we don't know what the coach really thinks about the subject (what he says publicly is PR), and we have an opinion on who we like.

The least important on that list to having the correct captain is the last item on it.

If I had to guess, I don't think it really even matters.  I think Brindy would have eaten your lunch if you stood between him and his cup, whether he had the C or not.

I will tip toe into this with the disclaimer up front that I agree with Hag's sentiment that we just don't know what goes on in the room.

With that out there, I will put out that, Tripp Tracey, talking with our fill in play by play guy after the Blues game made a pretty passionate pitch for Jordan. That he picked this team up on his back and carried them (rem op: while his brother didn't) to a pretty amazing place for the last three months. (The team let up some in Feb, but not due to Jordan letting up).

I look at Jordan, who came here to win with his brother, has now had an Eric-ectomy. Where is his head at? Does he want out? Is he unhappy? Should he be traded? i go hard the other way.

Before December of this past year, I'd have said get what you can for him. But he is just emerging as the kind of guy you CANT TRADE FOR OR SIGN FROM UFA if you are us. Losing him now would be a disaster. That line of his is the one thing we can put down in ink that we can build around. That one line, decent goaltending, and our vastly improved defense is almost enough by itself. On top of being a ppg player when they are increasingly rare, he does it while shutting down the top centers in the league and despite that, and starting life in the defensive zone far more than any other center, he leads the team in plus minus,

I know that this does not mean he needs to be the Captain. I don't even know if he wants it. But Trip seems to think he has the chops in the room for whatever that's worth. If he keeps this pace up, he should get attention for the Selke. I would argue that is the trophy you'd most like your Captain to win in some ways. Rod got it a couple of times.

Jordan is 27, Faulk is 23.

If he's up to the task, and if it makes sense in the room, I'd make this Jordan's team.

Edited by remkin

I too have pretty much remained quiet on the "who wears the letters" discussions over the years. Seems like a lot of wasted angst has been had over "Staal needs to be stripped of the C" and like arguments. Well, he's gone and so is his C. Will it make a difference?

I just don't think the average fan knows enough about what goes on to have a meaningful opinion. Of course, this is an internet message board, and meaningful opinion is Job #1.

I see no topic we should be less involved in regarding this team than who the captain should be.

We don't see the locker room interaction, we don't hang out with the team, we don't know who the true leaders are, we don't know what the coach really thinks about the subject (what he says publicly is PR), and we have an opinion on who we like.

The least important on that list to having the correct captain is the last item on it.

If I had to guess, I don't think it really even matters.  I think Brindy would have eaten your lunch if you stood between him and his cup, whether he had the C or not.

You're right this question is out of bounds but, us speculating about trades and moves for weeks without knowing much of what is going on behind closed doors makes sense...Got it :D

Yeah, I don't care if we talk about it, this is a fan forum, we can talk about anything we want.  I just think of all the topics, what we think on this one is truly meaningless.

So I didn't mean we can't talk about it.  have at it.   :)    It's a long time til the post season is over and draft time.

Edited by hag65

Yeah, I don't care if we talk about it, this is a fan forum, we can talk about anything we want.  I just think of all the topics, what we think on this one is truly meaningless.

So I didn't mean we can't talk about it.  have at it.   :)    It's a long time til the post season is over and draft time.

I guess my point is we literally sit on here and speculate about everything, plenty I'm sure is "truly meaningless" in the grand scheme of things. We've heard strip Eric of his "C" for so long from some many people when people had 0 clue about what went on in the locker room (not saying you did), seems hypocritical now to sit here now and act as though it's a topic we shouldn't speculate on.  

For what it's worth (probably not much) I think it was Maniscalco on the post game Sunday who said something like, "Even if Jordan were offered it this season, he's not gonna take with his brother having just left."

If we can assume that Jordan is all-in on this team, and I think we can, I think they probably give it to him. But more important, and echoing something Realm, S-D and I have been saying for a long time, it should definitely be the room's decision, with no coach/GM influence. And I've got a feeling that BP and RF are just ol' school enough to let that happen. Now...

GET OFF MY LAWN!!

Edited by top-shelf-1

Well Hag did say he didn't mean don't speculate.

I will add that while we are not in the room, there are nuggets that leak out from people covering the team, and even occasionally players and coaches about things that are going on in the room. So while we are flying blindfolded, we do have a tiny bit of awareness.

Also, my case for Jordan is for next year, not the remainder of this one, and comes with the standard disclaimer that it is just my opinion, I could be wrong....

Edited by remkin

I think I will wait until I see what shakes out this summer before speculating. I don't think there are any guarantees who will be left standing once the dust settles.

I've been pretty vocal in thinking it would be a mistake to give Faulk the C, in large part because I think it might actually hurt his play.  A few weeks back someone asked Peters about Hainsey this year.  His response actually reflected on Faulk as well as Hainsey.  I'm paraphrasing, but this is pretty close:

"He's been a nice calming influence on Justin when his game has gotten a little erratic. Ron has helped us settle him down when needed."

I want our C to be a rock out there and I don't see Faulk as filling that role at this point in his career. Acknowledging that l don't know what's happening in the dressing room, probably Jordan at this point.

Edited by LakeLivin

, seems hypocritical now to sit here now and act as though it's a topic we shouldn't speculate on.  

I didn't say that, I said the opposite.  Glad I clarified.

My point was that we have none of the information that I think is the most important in selecting a captain.

Who we want to be a captain is absolutely a harmless topic to talk about.  I'm no discussion cop, do what you want.

FWIW (nothing), I would wipe the slate clean each season, have the players vote for the captain after the roster is finalized, and have the alternates named by the coach.  I figure most coaches have their own way of doing it though.

Edited by hag65

. . .

FWIW (nothing), I would wipe the slate clean each season, have the players vote for the captain after the roster is finalized, and have the alternates named by the coach.  I figure most coaches have their own way of doing it though.

My first thought was complete agreement.  But then I started thinking that it's also important to have a good relationship and a lot of trust between between the coach and the captain since there may be times when it would be more effective for the coach to initiate influence through the captain rather than directly.  And if there was any tension between a coach and the team, seems like you'd want a captain who could bridge the gap between the two. 

So I'm thinking maybe still having the players vote, with the coach picking specific letters from among the leading vote getters.

My first thought was complete agreement.  But then I started thinking that it's also important to have a good relationship and a lot of trust between between the coach and the captain since there may be times when it would be more effective for the coach to initiate influence through the captain rather than directly.  And if there was any tension between a coach and the team, seems like you'd want a captain who could bridge the gap between the two. 

So I'm thinking maybe still having the players vote, with the coach picking specific letters from among the leading vote getters.

So you are right of course, except when you aren't right :)

Example:  NYG when Tom Coughlin got signed, was primarily signed to take a group of players out of control and restore discipline to the org.  Naturally, the players are revolting.

He brings a vocal opponent, Michael Strahan in, and Strahan whines and complains about everything.  Coughlin makes him the "player rep" who has to meet Coughlin once a week, and bring issues to him, decide with Coughlin how to handle them, and bring the resultant agreements back to the team as his own.

In the end, they "fix" the culture, they win a superbowl, and Strahan becomes one of the biggest proponents of Coughlin.

Perfect example of what you are talking about.  But it happened based on Coughlin seeing the situation and coming up with the best solution based on the situation.

A great coach can look at the situation and adapt to whatever the team needs.  If he feels he needs to empower them to decide and that is what they need, fine.  Maybe you have to give it to the spoiled star to keep him from leaving.  Maybe you give it to the grizzled 4th line vet (like a Craig Adams) cause he has the most respect.  Who knows.

So you are right of course, except when you aren't right :)

. . .

A great coach can look at the situation and adapt to whatever the team needs.  If he feels he needs to empower them to decide and that is what they need, fine.  Maybe you have to give it to the spoiled star to keep him from leaving.  Maybe you give it to the grizzled 4th line vet (like a Craig Adams) cause he has the most respect.  Who knows.

And, there it is. I think you nailed it in your last paragraph.  :thumbsup:

Why is Tripp stroking J staal to be the next Captain?  He's had a good second half is all. Enough already. With Jordans goofy JR contract that doesn't even necessarily fit into Peters or Francis long range goals he could be gone in another year or two.  One Staal captain was enough.  Play a full season next year with no captain and all A's.  Its been done before and will work here as well until someone rises above the rest and becomes a natural selection.  The idea that it has to be a top point getter etc is way off.

Here are a few Leadership traits from my Marine Corps days.  Who best exemplifies them on the Canes?

• Be technically and tactically proficient
  • Know yourself and seek self-improvement
  • Set the example
  • Make sound and timely decisions
  • Develop a sense of responsibility in your subordinates
  • Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions

Why is Tripp stroking J staal to be the next Captain?  He's had a good second half is all. Enough already. With Jordans goofy JR contract that doesn't even necessarily fit into Peters or Francis long range goals he could be gone in another year or two.  One Staal captain was enough.  Play a full season next year with no captain and all A's.  Its been done before and will work here as well until someone rises above the rest and becomes a natural selection.  The idea that it has to be a top point getter etc is way off.

Here are a few Leadership traits from my Marine Corps days.  Who best exemplifies them on the Canes?

• Be technically and tactically proficient
  • Know yourself and seek self-improvement
  • Set the example
  • Make sound and timely decisions
  • Develop a sense of responsibility in your subordinates
  • Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions

Chad LaRose.