The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
BBC-line

The Great Captain Debate

Resurrecting this thread now that the season is over and we have been through the draft. Free Agency is coming up soon and wanted to get ahead of the crowd to see what people are thinking.

Who do you think will be our next Captain?  I am hoping for Faulk.

Resurrecting this thread now that the season is over and we have been through the draft. Free Agency is coming up soon and wanted to get ahead of the crowd to see what people are thinking.

Who do you think will be our next Captain?  I am hoping for Faulk.

Whoever the players vote.  Like S_D said, JR anointed captains for marketing reasons - i hope RF does it differently.

As far as Faulk goes, i do hope he has some leadership qualities so he can contribute more than those 15 PPGs he contributed through the first half of last season.  He certainly doesn't get it done defensively.  #heresadeadhorseletsgiverealmastick

Unless a clear leader emerges from the locker room (and as far as I'm aware there's no evidence to date that this is likely to happen), 3 A's to start next season.

Edited by LakeLivin

I really don't know who gets it, but I really bet it's Jordan Staal. Based entirely on outside observation, I'd say he's the best pick too. But that is with a giant caveat that I don't know who is best in the room and in the leadership roles.

Last year he picked the team up and put it on his back from about December on. He's been wearing the A. I know, I know, it was decreed to him by JR, but still, he's been in that role. And he draws the tough defensive assignments and plays with good, not great wingers, and never seems to complain about it. Jordan is not Eric. Plus, Francis traded his brother away, and probably wants to make good with him.

And mainly, who else?

Really, the other candidates would be Justin Faulk, and Ron Hainsey. Skinner?

Jordan is 3.5 years older than Faulk. Has 23 playoff games to Faulk's none, and Hainsey's...none. One Stanely Cup ring to Faulk and Hainsey's none.

Faulk did not put this team on his back after December either. Faulk's defensive play was actually a bit soft at times. Cannot say that about Jordan.

Maybe if we pick up an Andrew Ladd?

I would take Jordan vs. the field at this point, and that includes the notion of three "A"s, which I really doubt even more.

If I had to bet on one guy besides Jordan? Probably Hainsey in a "holding pattern" move.

I have no inside info on this, but I put a good sized wager on J.

Edited by remkin

I want someone who has been with the team for awhile, even though personally love Laddie as a  hockey player. Jordan Staal would be my choice..

I hope it is based on the true leader in the room.  

It may be Wiz, don't forget about him.

I think Hainsey is a leader, but that's only a guess. 

I'm not sure the market is ready for another Staal as captain of the team. I know I'm not.  Jordan seems like he's an introvert anyway. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

If you want informative interviews with clear information without ums and ahhhs , then Hainsey is the leader.

Edited by winger52

. . .

I would take Jordan vs. the field at this point, and that includes the notion of three "A"s, which I really doubt even more.

. . .

I forget if it was Peters or RF, but towards the end of last season one of them mentioned the possibility of going with 3 As this season. I'm unaware of anything that's happened so far that would have changed that. 

I agree with coastal, Jordan seems very much like an introvert to me.  Plus, seems like there's the possibility that he'd have very little experience leading to this point given his history of playing alongside big brother E (and Crosby before that).  

I would be comfortable with J as captain but only if he was committed to see this rebuild through. I thought he showed at the very least dedication to the game after the trade deadline.

Faulk was anointed by most (except those that count) as the next leader. I would feel more comfortable with a few more seasons behind him but if that is how it shakes out it would be ok.

I don't see anyone else that would be the captain at this point or who could be but won't be around with the team much longer.

Francis was the one who said we could head into next season with no captain but three A's. Sounds like the plan.

Maybe we should have a contest...

Then again, maybe just list your prediction:

Hainsey, Staal, Faulk, Skinner, 3 A's, other.

You know my prediction.

BTW does anyone know which teams, if any have a player vote?

Even if there are reasons not to do that, it would seem this might be the year for it.

Edited by remkin

Its a silly notion that a team MUST have a Captain.  The Canes should play without one this season and let the cream rise to the top. I also don't like management (Peters) picking a Captain, that should be done by the team - they know who they respect the most and are willing to respond to.  Hand out 3 A's (2 forwards, 1 D) so that anyone one of them can talk to Ref. Case closed.

Please don't pick Staal he can't even look into a camera for more than one second at a time before he starts drilling more eye holes in the floor. Introverts cannot be Captains.  Period.

I hope it is based on the true leader in the room.  

It may be Wiz, don't forget about him.

Can't be him! The have bought his contract out.