The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Karmonos Major Announcement: CANES ARE MOVING

From The Hockey News:

April 1, 2016

by Hank Schrader

(link below):

The speculation has finally ended. Peter Karmonos has just announced that the Carolina Hurricanes Hockey NHL team is indeed moving.

"Despite prolonged and repeated attempts to find a buyer for the Carolina Hurricanes, no qualified buyer has been found", Karmonos told the Hockey News, just hours ago. "It was always my intention to keep the team in Raleigh, but it was just not to be".

Karmonos mentioned his advanced age, and desire to pursue other interests, as well as, "a deal, that just frankly was too good to pass up."

Initially Karmonos did not mention the location receiving the Hurricanes. Speculation was high that it would be Quebec City. However, Karmonos denied that rumor, citing the weak Canadian dollar, but also saying that he did not want to be "the guy responsible for another french-speaking team", adding, "Did you know that they eat horse up there? Horse. That's just nasty. I can't abide it. Really pretty city though. Just don't eat Mr. Ed."

Karmonos mentioned his love of the City of Raleigh and the many great fans. "Mostly I love the people of Raleigh. Not so much love as to not move the team mind you, but there is love there. Again, the love is mostly in the parts of me that are not moving the team. But it is love still."

The location of the move was finally announced at the end of the interview. The team will apparently move to the Ice House in Garner, NC.

"I'm paying basically no rent, and I get all of the pizza and free skating I want. Sure the crowds will be smaller as the seating is basically just standing around the glass, but I'm going for a new model: price over volume. Tickets will be $5000 per. BUT they're all on the glass. NO bad seats.The money ends up the same. Sure no one can go that can't afford $10K for two tickets, but you know some schmuck from Buffalo will pay it to chant "Lets go Buffalo" for 2 hours. And if not, you KNOW that some bean-head from Boston will pony up to yell "TUUUUUUUK" every time Rask makes a routine save. Plus the games will still be on TV."

Karmonos said that he was "Sorry to have to move the team". But it could not be helped. "It could not be helped," he said.

"Sometimes you just get a feeling that it is time for a change. I just had one of those feelings, and no it was not just gas," he insisted. "OK, it might have been gas, but the decision stands."

This move will require league approval, but according to Karmonos, "Gary is fine with it. Well, I'm sure he will be fine with it."

Parking will be an issue as there are currently about 100 parking spaces around the Ice House. But Karmonos, has a plan for that saying, "We'll figure it out." And he added, "We really aren't selling many tickets anyways. Remember they are $5K a piece."

More news to follow as we attempt to make sure this is not some kind of joke.

Edited by remkin

From The Hockey News:

by Hank Schrader

. . .

Sure the crowds will be smaller as the seating is basically just standing around the glass, but I'm going for a new model: price over volume.

. . .

PK is clearly following Waddell's suggested strategy.

how long can the Canes be at the bottom rungs of attendance in the NHL before serious.attention is made to this topic?

colliefan, although difficult for the majority of us "common folk", including yours truly, to understand, ticket sales and attendance are very small determiners of profitability in this or any of the other 29 owners portfolio. While I don't pretend or even desire to comprehend "big business" to these billionaires, TV deals, business sponsorships, concession and parking proceeds, personnel salaries and even the end of year division of league profits intended to create parity all as I understand directly contribute to their "bottom line". Rest assured, that given the cadre of legal expertise they all employ, even what we see as a "loss", likely can be advantageous to their net worth.

rem, I agree that agonizing over the fate of our team is utter futility, even if we are a pathologist or a pizza restaurant owner. That's why I personally choose to stay out of a subject which I or we fans collectively cannot control. I mean, even all the vitriol that apparently was expended by Whalers' fans did little to dissuade Karmanos from his decision to transfer the angst from that community to this in '97, did it.

So best for our collective health to just appreciate and enjoy what we have today, and let the hockey gods take care of the rest.

Sorry Kjun, I kind of deleted my post ahead of yours.

Basically I do think we have discussed this seriously, but since we can't control it at all why not inject an attempt at humor?

rem, I agree that agonizing over the fate of our team is utter futility, even if we are a pathologist or a pizza restaurant owner. That's why I personally choose to stay out of a subject which I or we fans collectively cannot control. I mean, even all the vitriol that apparently was expended by Whalers' fans did little to dissuade Karmanos from his decision to transfer the angst from that community to this in '97, did it.

So best for our collective health to just appreciate and enjoy what we have today, and let the hockey gods take care of the rest.

agree

With LV having a $500M expansion fees check stroked and waiting to be cashed as well as QC having the same, I honestly don't know where all these Canes to QC rumors get any traction.  It seems to me that expansion will happen before any team is allowed to move.

OK top wants a thread for this, so I'm popping my April Fool's thread up. Lets put all talk of this never ending chatter on potential team moving in here because I think this particular flare up is a complete hoax. We play MTL 2X in one week. Quebec City is just down the French Speaking road from MTL.

This latest flare up is either a deliberate attempt to put the Canes off their game, or just click bait given that we are playing them and we're in their heads.