The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Our season has come to an end.  Team improvement was noticeable and gives up hope that next season will end the playoff drought. Yet there is a lot to do this off-season. Free agents to sign, exit interviews, deals to be made and the draft. Plenty of "stuff" to keep us interested until ice returns to the arena.

To sign or not to sign

Cam Ward             G     32     $6,300,000     UFA
Nathan Gerbe     LW     28     $1,750,000     UFA
Riley Nash             C     26     $1,150,000     UFA
Chris Terry         RW     27         $875,000     UFA
Brad Malone       LW     26         $650,000     UFA
Derek Ryan          C     29         $600,000     UFA

To sign or not to sign

keep the young ones

jettison the old guy

keep the young ones

jettison the old guy

By keeping 'old guy' in the singular, i guess you're talking keeping all 5 of the forwards?  I'd have to disagree with you there.  Not even getting into prioritizing which forwards to keep or get rid of,  i think the Hurricanes simply need to make some space to either bring in some veterans or give some kids some spots to fight for.  We keep all 5 of those forwards, we're keeping the status quo, and i think we all know we need an improvement over the status quo.  Someone has to go, an these 5 are the obvious ones to look at first.

To sign or not to sign

No

No

Yes - I think he played really well down the stretch and is a good all around player for the fourth line and PK, PP.

No

No

Yes - I like him as an emergency 3rd line center if we can't get a #1C and need to push Rask up. Ideally another 2-way contract or a cheap one-way as our 13th forward.

Edited by MinJaBen

Curious from you other Caniacs what free agents you would like brought into the fold this offseason?  Fantasy GM opportunities here..lol

Thoughts on David Backes or Kyle Okposo?

Have to agree w/ Min on OBXer's list. I think Nash is better than McClemment overall for 4th line duty, and can slide up to third line if injuries hit. Derek Ryan will not get a chance elsewhere, and is a cheap option, though I could take or leave.

The rest? Move on.

The big one is Cam. I let him go as I've written elsewhere. The exception would be if he would sign in the neighborhood of $2 million/year for 2 years, no NTC, and we trade Eddie and find another #1. I don't see that happening though, so, like Eric, it is time to move on.

I wonder if anyone here wants E Staal back, say $5 million/year, no NTC, 4 years.

I think you know my answer, but to be clear I think it is time to move on from the E/Ward era.

Edited by remkin

I think the first decision RF needs to make is what to do about goal-tending. 

I think Ward has played well enough to earn a new contract but I'm not sure well enough to earn the contract I expect his agent will want. Lack has been a work in progress and since he has a contract I expect he will stay but a starter role may be a bit ambitious next season.

Another option is the FA market. Spector's Hockey this morning mentioned us as a possible landing place for James Reimer

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Reimer has proven capable of putting up decent stats on a bad Leafs team, but going to a good club like the Sharks has certainly improved his free-agent value. I can see the Flames or Hurricanes pursuing him this summer.

I'm not advocating signing or letting Ward-0 walk only saying a decision needs to be made and in the not to distant future.

I think the plan with Eddie is he is/was suppose to be the bridge until Altshuller/Nedelkovic develops and one of them takes over the reigns, which was why Eddie was only signed for 3 seasons at a reasonable contract. Eddie is a low risk/high reward.

Maybe we will get some clues on what Francis and Peters are thinking when they hold a news conference

Media will have a chance to talk with players Tuesday at 10am with the news conference to follow

I wonder if anyone here wants E Staal back, say $5 million/year, no NTC, 4 years.

(add concussion issues to the list)

Edited by hag65

Channeling my inner Yogi Berra: if there's debate about whether we should re-sign Ward as the #1 Canes netminder going forward, there's really no debate, is there?

Edited by LakeLivin

Curious from you other Caniacs what free agents you would like brought into the fold this offseason?  Fantasy GM opportunities here..lol

Thoughts on David Backes or Kyle Okposo?

I don't think Backes is the answer for several reasons. He is older than Eric and plays a game more similar to Jordan...though with a bit more scoring. Thus, I think we can expect that he will probably want one of two things that we are not going to want to offer: either a chance at a cup (which really, if he is willing to take a discount he can get right where he is), or a last big payday. Given he turned down a reported offer from the Blues for $5.5M per season (don't know the term) he likely wants something similar to what Eric was denied here. I don't see that as happening, we'd probably just sign Eric if we wanted an aging possession #1C on the downside of his career.

As for Okposo, I think the options slide to the other side of the spectrum. He is younger. He scores more. If he was looking to go to an immediate cup contender at a discount, he probably would just stay with the Islanders. Thus, I think he is looking for a payday. We can certainly give him that with a generous term and feature him on the first line as a scoring/power right winger. Something we desperately need. He is my first choice for a UFA splash. 

I'd also look to trade for and sign Andersen to be our goalie of the future. I think his contract would be something in the $5.5M to $6M for five years range. We could do that and it would lock up our goalie position and we would still be good with cap numbers another UFA or trade if we wanted without pushing the cap and probably without pushing the internal budget.

Those two would be my first two (in the opposite order) moves in my fictitious GM position. The only other position of glaring need that probably could not be filled by prospects/players already under our control would be the #1C position. We might be able to slide Rask to that spot, but I am not convinced he brings quite enough scoring there. As my major move of the offseason, I'd look to see if I could leverage Faulk or Fleury to get a young #1C player/prospect. I'd love for it to be Fleury that gets that done, but I don't think it would in reality. My first choice would be to target Draisaitl from the Oilers. He might be more available if the Oilers luck into the #1OA this year and take Matthews. It would probably take Faulk to get him, but if they did get Matthews, Faulk might get us Draisaitl and another player or pick.

I think the unfortunate reality is that we have serious needs for at least  2 top 6 forwards, preferably 1st liners and a top goalie, and to believe that RF can get all 3 of those done in one off season is unrealistic.  It's not that we don't have chits to trade or cap space.  It is availability of such players and competition with the other 29 franchises. 

That does not in any way mean I won't hope for it though.  Realistically though, getting halfway there would be great.  Solving one of 2 of these, i.e. goalie or 1C would be great, hope for one of the prospects to fill one of the top forward positions (or fill in lower and one of the existing guys elevate their game) and just keep stocking the shelves.  Having the shelves stocked is something new for us, and I like it.

Edited by hag65

Listened the other day to an interview with GMRF on 99.9. He's got that GM-speak down pat.

Couldn't gleam anything concerning the question concerning Cam or where they may go as far as free agency this summer.

Listened the other day to an interview with GMRF on 99.9. He's got that GM-speak down pat.

Couldn't gleam anything concerning the question concerning Cam or where they may go as far as free agency this summer.

And I've said it before.  This is a good thing.  RF does not tip his hand, which in the "Game of GM" is important.

He seems to do things we don't expect.  We'll conjecture here, and that's fine, but I bet he'll do something we don't see coming.

I like the idea from MinjaBen's idea of Draisaitl. I'm not a fan of trading Faulk. He is locked up for a while at a great price. I would prefer to go with Wiz or one of the young guys that did well. We should be able to swing a Drai for Pesce or Slavin and maybe a future 2nd rounder from NYR.

Pesce or Slavin and Draisaitl are young unproven players. It would be risk on both parties.

I think Versteeg would be good to bring back.

Skinner-Draisaitl-Versteeg

Lindholm-Rask-Okposo

Nestrasil-Staal-Nordstrom

I would tell Murphy this D thing isn't working out. I'll give you a 2 way contract to work on becoming a winger. If not he can go elsewhere. Overall the D will be solid with Wiz, Faulk, Hanafin, Pesce/Slavin, Fleury, and Hainsey with Jordan as the #7.

I would re-sign Ward to a low dollar contract for 2 years. I have serious doubts we could get Anderson.

I really don't thing there's much chance of getting Draisaitl for Pesce or Slavin and a late second rounder. 

I have been floating the Draisaitl idea for awhile, and I think he is the best player the Oilers might give up, (but my sense is that they will not give him up). RNH? Yes. He's on the market. They want to go McDavid - Draisaitl 1-2 down the middle and in a couple of years that could be as good or better than Crosby - Malkin. Not saying will be, but could be.

But Draisailt is the guy I most want in the world of maybes that we know of. Personally, I'd trade Faulk for him. Not because we don't nee Faulk, and somewhat ignoring the R/L thing, just straight up, we would be better with that trade. But that's because I believe Draisaitl is the real deal. That is a legit IC for years to come. Faulk may become a legit franchise Dman, but he may not. He has had some real Murphy-like moments back there at the end of this year, and he won't go on a tear were every point shot on the PP goes in again.

That said, I don't think the Oil will trade Draisaitl. The are looking to mover RNH and or Eberle. I'm far less interested in either of them and certainly not for Faulk or even Pesce.

If Francis could pry Draistail from Edmonton for a deal involving any dman not named Hanifin? Pull. (Though I really think Slavin is pretty close to untouchable).

Edited by remkin

So it's official we are picking #13.

OK, we have a 90% chance of picking in the lucky #13 slot.

A roughly 2% chance of picking each of 1, 2 or 3 (about 7% combined) and a 3% chance of dropping to 14.

We probably could have failed up to at most #9, but there was little taste for that this year. Of course in the end the only team higher on the pain index, was Boston (missing playoffs but picking low), but hey, whatever.

So outside of our roughly one in 14 chance of winning a lottery pick, and a 1/33 chance of dropping back, #13 will be it.

Full odds of all teams in lottery here:

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/4/10/11396278/2016-nhl-draft-lottery-final-rules-and-odds-table

Currently the #13 ranked draft-eligable player is Max Jones. I had been focusing my attention at the top of the draft where the flashy superstars live, so unless we trade up, we will have to move on from the names like Matthews, Puljujarvi, Laine, Nylander and Tkachuk, but this is a deep draft, and Jones does sound pretty dang good.

Here's an article on him;

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects/max-jones-forgotten-knight/

Personally, I'd like to trade up. Well first I'd like to win the lottery. THEN I'd like the Canes to win the lottery.

Edited by remkin