The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I'm not gonna harp, but what the Captain says and how he says it - home or away - matters. His words, attitude and persona set the tone for the team. J's introverted style comes off as less enthusiastic than Eric, which is saying something. The A seems the right letter for him unless his presentation and media savvy really change.

*If* Rask hadn't been playing hurt most of last year, he *might* already be the clear choice. Assuming his injury was the rotator cuff, what he was able to achieve is pretty amazing. No complaints. No excuses. He apparently just taped his arm to his side every night, sucked it up--and tied the healthy Jordan for second-most points on the team, while constantly playing with different line-mates. Wow. 

His recovery is equally impressive. Assuming it was a torn cuff (and there isn't much else that requires shoulder surgery) there's a very specific schedule and regimen that must be followed to regain use as quickly as he has, and the off-season (without playoffs) is *just* enough time to accommodate it:

- 4-6 weeks with the arm in a sling (zero movement, and in this case, probably elevated at night to prevent rolling onto the shoulder during sleep, which would set the whole process back)

- 4-6 weeks of "passive" exercise: you pretty much sit there while a PT holds the arm and gently manipulates the shoulder for you, increasing the amount of movement incrementally each week

- 3-6 weeks of "active" exercise, with no weights

- Only after all the above steps are completed are free weights and resistance bands allowed, with their use closely monitored and the amount of weight/resistance gradually increased. 

(More than you ever wanted to know, here.)

No doubt the long-term deal wasn't happening until they were sure Rask followed the process to the letter, and had come through successfully.

I think the C remains up for grabs until Christmas at least, and that Rask or Skinner gets the third A. It's the right move. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Skinner doesn't seem like the right guy to me. Questions about his D-zone commitment and consistency make me believe others who have been discussed here are better choices. Plus, he still looks like an 18 year old rookie.

I'm not an advocate of Skinner for Captain, however i do think his D-zone commitment has improved consistently since Peters got here, and i also think that as long as he hasn't been gun-shy about concussions, his effort has been quite consistent.  His scoring is streaky, yes - but as long as he's doing the right things otherwise, which i think he largely has for the past couple seasons, i have very little to complain about with his performance.  That said, i do think the A would be a logical choice for him.

As far as trying to explain losses, i don't really care who the media talks to as long as it isn't Lack.  Listening to him 'ihhhhhhh' for a minute and a half is even more painful than watching him give up easy goals during the game.

How about we let Rask naturally grow into his role rather than staple a "C" to his chest right now, and hope for the best.

That goes against everything we stand for Dave.  You know rushing prospects and throwing them into the fire.  Kids playing with men.  ETC.... It's just how we roll.

How about we let Rask naturally grow into his role rather than staple a "C" to his chest right now, and hope for the best.

Yeah--because "we" were totally about to do that.

Just going by your post, it seemed you were suggesting something like that, with some *ifs* of course.

Not at all. I don't think he's ready, and I don't think having three A's is a bad thing.

I've made my feelings clear many times (in fact, I think we've agreed on this, s_d): The players should pick their Captain, and not one moment before they're ready to.

Edited by top-shelf-1

In choosing whoever eventually gets the C, I hope one of the following happens:

• someone stands out as a natural leader, inside the locker room as well as on the ice, making the choice obvious
  • if not the above, and the brass decides to appoint the "best available" choice, I hope they recognize the difference between someone who wants it because they want it vs. someone who wants it because they think they should want it.  There's a difference, and I'm leaning towards thinking that both Jordan and Faulk may be more of the latter.
Edited by LakeLivin

Skinner at RCI, which prompted an interesting comment from someone over on Canes Country:

It is a totally different vibe at RCI when Skinner shows up, it’s like a switch gets flipped. Everyone was skating today with more energy and looked like they were actually having fun. I don’t mean to sound as though they were goofing off, not at all just the opposite, they were more aggressive and more competitive than they’ve been thus far in the informal practices.

Slavin wasn’t there today and neither was Stempniak, but after they finished their drills they played a pretty up-tempo five-on-five scrimmage with Rask/Skins/Lindy/Faulk/Hainsey facing off for the white team against Jordan/Nordy/Nesty/Noah/Pesce in red. That’s not a bad line-up even with a couple of top players missing.

That was a pretty good update there by Kellner.  Thanks for posting.

I can somehow see Skinner having that effect.

Well Skinner is one of the ole guys in the locker room now. They see him as a veteran leader now.

Dont know if i can make it to the regular season without ending up on an episode of "Snapped" Specially if I keep reading this thread.

Whoever ends up with the "C" will not step into a situation where the GM/Coach tore the letter off the jersey of the most popular captain the team has had since it has been in Raleigh. I think that may have really been a curse for Eric. Couldn't they just have waited until Brindy retired at the end of the year? RF seems to do everything in a very deliberate way, and of course he and BP know a lot more than they will ever let on about who the other players respect and will follow into battle. In Ron we trust.

I'm ready for tailgate opening night 2016 style.

Amen, brother.

I'm sure our new Director of Beverage Safety will be busy.

Edited by super_dave_1

Whoever ends up with the "C" will not step into a situation where the GM/Coach tore the letter off the jersey of the most popular captain the team has had since it has been in Raleigh. I think that may have really been a curse for Eric. Couldn't they just have waited until Brindy retired at the end of the year? RF seems to do everything in a very deliberate way, and of course he and BP know a lot more than they will ever let on about who the other players respect and will follow into battle. In Ron we trust.

Really, it's all speculation anyway. Since we fans aren't privy to (much of) what goes on in the locker room or the boardroom, it's hard to speak to the process that the Hurricanes went through in transitioning from Brind'Amour's captaincy to E's. It's hard for me to believe that Brindy wasn't consulted about his feelings as to who was going to be the next captain, and I doubt that management would ignore anyone's opinions about that topic.

That said, I wonder about that, too, BDC.

E. Staal getting the C mid-season had to be a rational decision, in the sense that Rod B. told management that he was gonna retire at the end of the season, the GM and others thought that E. was the person for the job (based on player input, their own read of the locker room, whatever) and that having E. learning-by-doing with the previous captain there to help and to teach him how to fill the role made more sense than just giving E. the C in the following off-season.

That said, I don't know if there's all that much of an advantage doing it that way as opposed to Eric having an A for the whole season and him learning how to fulfill the role of captain by observing the long-time captain and how he handled the role. I suppose it would depend on the players involved, since people do learn differently. Some people learn better by doing than by hearing or by reading.

A paragraph from an article at TheHockeyNews previewing WCOH team Finland:

"And it would be foolish to overlook their young studs. Sebastian Aho and Patrik Laine may be imminent NHL rookies, but both are expected to challenge for the Calder Trophy in 2016-17. They’ll have experienced pivots to feed, nurture and help them grow as the tournament progresses. Don’t be surprised if they make some of the world’s top goaltenders and defenders ill-at-ease."

Talk about a rapid ascent as far as Aho getting noticed!

Hey all. I'm slammed on the work front after some self-imposed away time from these haunts, so here's my lightning round:

- Staal will be fine on the ice. He's probably a leader in the room. But he shouldn't be Captain. His flat affect and lack of eye contact in media appearances are hallmarks of an introvert who just wants to do his job. So let him--he does it well. Like it or not, the Captain is the de-facto team spokesman. Rask isn't ready, but watch his interview: Direct, self-assured, solid eye-contact, and no-nonsense answers. Jeff Skinner is ready. He has great command of the language and PR sense. Making him captain would also immediately make him the most-protected guy on the ice. I'm not saying we should do it. I'm saying we could. Faulk? Maybe. It would certainly increase his value if we ever deal him. But in terms of verbal smoothness, he's no Crosby (or even Rask, for whom English is a second language). 

- As for Staal's comments, they were totally in the context of the realities of the salary-cap era, they are spot-on, and they are as close as we are likely to get to him acknowledging that you can't be paying a guy $9 million - let alone half that - when he's not performing at a level justifying either number and hasn't for some time. Is he disappointed? Sure. Is he still miffed? I don't think so. It's a new season, he looks ready to go, and says he's excited about the team's prospects. That's all you can ask in September.

- Lack o' Lack, and o' Skinner, has me wondering...

I'm still hoping that we start off with "A"'s and that someone jumps up as the main leader in the early part of the season. I am anxious to see one guy in particular. If you are looking for a veteran...someone who looks you in the eye....and someone who will give you an honest assessment of where the team is in regards to their performance....someone who is able to teach the young corps, there is one guy who can serve in that role. If he gets off to a good start,he could be our guy.... Oh and he is not afraid to go to the front of the net. http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8470740

Edited by slapshot02

So I ditched cable. I have sling TV and several apple TVs. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to purchase in order to watch NHL games when they are being played and not 5 hours later? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still hoping that we start off with "A"'s and that someone jumps up as the main leader in the early part of the season. I am anxious to see one guy in particular. If you are looking for a veteran...someone who looks you in the eye....and someone who will give you an honest assessment of where the team is in regards to their performance....someone who is able to teach the young corps, there is one guy who can serve in that role. If he gets off to a good start,he could be our guy.... Oh and he is not afraid to go to the front of the net. http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8470740

Yeah, I'd be fine with Stemp. He'd be a good interim guy choice. But like you say, he has to earn it first, same as anyone.

So I ditched cable. I have sling TV and several apple TVs. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to purchase in order to watch NHL games when they are being played and not 5 hours later? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Aren't they aired live on FS South, via Sling? I think so...

Edited by top-shelf-1