The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Yea my concern is that like NFL games they don't air until 5 hours after the event. That's been my experience with sling TV so far. Past that though it's a great service! I think the Monopoly known as Time Warner Cable has something to do with the NFL games though.

Yea my concern is that like NFL games they don't air until 5 hours after the event. That's been my experience with sling TV so far. Past that though it's a great service! I think the Monopoly known as Time Warner Cable has something to do with the NFL games though.

I've seen "how to stream" stuff online that specifically calls out the Canes as a franchise whose fans can watch games live. Here's an excerpt from this site:

Sling TV has recently added regional FOX Sports networks to one of its new packages. Why does this matter for hockey fans? Because these regional networks carry the games of many NHL teams, including the Ducks, Kings Panthers, Blues, Red Wings, Wild, Predators, Stars, Lightning, Hurricanes, and Coyotes. 

My guess is the NFL delay is due to the NFL wanting to protect the value of its NFL Game Pass and NFL Sunday Ticket subscription services. If Sling offered whatever channel carries the NFL game(s) you want to watch live, you'd get them live. But since that specific channel is not on Sling, you're only going to get the delayed version, on whatever Sling channel is airing it.  

Since the NHL licenses FOX's regional networks to carry live hockey, and since Sling offers the FOX regional package, you should get same (live) FOX Sports Carolinas feed over Sling that you would over your cable network. Somebody here said last season that they use Sling and it works fine. That's what I'm counting on--I bought Sling for this season, too.  

So in other places we have waxed excited about this team's depth up front just now, and we've been smiling about our D for around a year now. So outside of the million dollar question in goal, the thing that remains uncertain is the top end scoring. Do we have guys that can and will put up elite numbers?

It depends on how you define elite, but I say, actually, yes, yes we do.

Last year only 4 forwards broke 80 or more points. 4.

Only 15 forwards hit 70 points.

And finally only 37 forwards hit 60 points.

Thus just a touch over one per team on average hit 60. So I would say 60 points is elite in today's NHL. If you're talking one guy per team on average that's pretty elite.

So who on our team could hit 60 points this year?

1. Jeff Skinner. He had a really slow start and still hit 51 last year. He broke 60 points already, as an 18 year old. He is (knock wood) well past his concussions. And he is really showing some passing chops (you generally have to put up assists to get there).

2. Victor Rask. He has improved every single year since we drafted him. He put up 48 last year, much of it with a bum shoulder. He improved 15 points and 45% last year. That would be 63 points (using absolute points) or 70 points (using %) if he does that again. Of course that doesn't mean he will, but given the injury and his natural tendency to improve? Not a bad bet he gets close.

3. Jordan Staal. What? Yes. Historically, he basically did it his last year in Pittsburgh putting up 59 points in 68 games including playoffs. OK so that was a different time and team. But last year J. had a run of 2 months where he was basically a ppg (Jan/Feb)24 points in 26 games. Now I'm not suggesting he'd keep that pace up all year, but we're talking .73 ppg, not 1 ppg. Unfortunately he had 2 points in his first 11 games (2 assists), If you take his "2 for October" out, and average the rest of the year and project he hits 55 points. That's pretty close.

Also, Nesty and Nordstrom got better as the year went on too.

I think if two hit or break 60 and the other gets close, that is enough high end scoring.

There are two longer shot guys for 60:

These guys are long shots because they have not really gotten close before. These guys would have to have true breakout years. But both guys have the skills based on the eyeball test, and Lindy was drafted to be that good.

1. T. Teravainen: first real year NHL was 2013-14. 34 regular season games and .27 ppg. But hit the playoffs and went on a .55 ppg run with 10 points in 18 games. In the playoffs. That's a 46 point season if spread out. Age 20 all year. It is not that hard to project 2 years later that he might up that. Of course there is the small matter of his actual year last year. A bit of a sophomore slump compared to that magical playoff run, but still 35 points as a 21 year old.

Probably more fair to hope for him to push 50 points this year, but he is a power play wizard and could compile points there. So it's not out of the question.

2. E. Lindholm. Certainly drafted to be that kind of player. JR and company had him ranked #4 overall in that draft. He probably should have taken one more year to round out his game back in Sweden, and international competitions a la Aho. He still put up .362 ppg as an 18 year old and progressed ok to .48 ppg as a 19 year old. But last year failed to progress stuck at .48 ppg. This is still a decent forward, but not what he projected to be.

Word is that strength and conditioning, especially lower body, and maybe some other confidence and effort issues have held him back from hitting his full potential. He is reportedly training harder this offseason, and playing with Aho and TT might really spark him.

If he had continued on the pace from 18 to 19, forward, he'd hit 68 points this year. That's not really very useful, I know. The fact is though that he put up 19 goals as a 19 year old, and 25 this year would not be crazy. He is also a very good passer, especially on the PP, and could put up points there as well.

Frankly I'd bet on Lindy to beat Teravainen.

Then I suppose Aho is a distant dark horse to just blow it away, but 60 is asking a bit much from a 19 year old.

Edited by remkin

Thanks Top!

Friend of mine has Sling and he said he has not had a problem connecting through Fox Sports Go.  I doubt you will have any issues.   For what its worth, he reiterated what Top said, and he indicated there would be no delay on NHL games.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Went to event at PNC this morning (Canes 5K run, as spectator).  Good to see almost all players there.  Ward got loudest ovation.  I see Eric Tulsky finished pretty high up in the results.

I did take a close look at the players for fitness since they mostly had shorts and tee shirts on.  Particularly checked on Lindholm and Faulk.  Both looked great, unlike last year when I thought they both looked heavy in the bread basket.  Thought Skinner looked to fill out with more muscle.

I really hope Bickell has a resurgence because he's a big man!  Welcomed him to Raleigh and shook his hand to wish him well.  His hand is a solid meat clever.

Anyone else?

Went to event at PNC this morning (Canes 5K run, as spectator).  Good to see almost all players there.  Ward got loudest ovation.  I see Eric Tulsky finished pretty high up in the results.

I did take a close look at the players for fitness since they mostly had shorts and tee shirts on.  Particularly checked on Lindholm and Faulk.  Both looked great, unlike last year when I thought they both looked heavy in the bread basket.  Thought Skinner looked to fill out with more muscle.

I really hope Bickell has a resurgence because he's a big man!  Welcomed him to Raleigh and shook his hand to wish him well.  His hand is a solid meat clever.

Anyone else?

Thanks for the reconnaissance, Manwolf! 

Anyone else?

I made them all until this year when I had a conflict due to be out of town.  I also didn't like the fact they made you buy provided a ticket along with the fee.  But I'll still probably go next year.

The event has changed.  The first years the runners really mixed it up with the players and coaches.  I'm slow, so the players blew away from me, but me and Tom Rowe raced until he pulled away the last 1/2 mile.  The first year, a very sweaty Coach Lavi came right up to me unprompted and wanted to know how I did, and how was my time in my personal goals.  A lot of fun.  

A few years ago, it appeared nobody ran, or was allowed to run.  So you say some ran?  Do you know how many?  If so, that's great.  Just don't let guys (like Brindy did) run after surgery.

Edited by wxray1

A few years ago, it appeared nobody ran, or was allowed to run.  So you say some ran?  Do you know how many?  If so, that's great.  Just don't let guys (like Brindy did) run after surgery.

Did not say some ran, but see that Eric Tulsky is listed in the results.  I did not see any players run, but they were announced by Forslund and walked through corridor of fans to Starting Line area.  They all flipped pucks or handed them out.  Not sure if pucks were real or soft rubber.

Did not say some ran, but see that Eric Tulsky is listed in the results.  I did not see any players run, but they were announced by Forslund and walked through corridor of fans to Starting Line area.  They all flipped pucks or handed them out.  Not sure if pucks were real or soft rubber.

Ah, thanks Manwolf.  Forgot who Tulsky was, I thought he was a depth guy.  He's our brain guy.  :)  Doesn't matter if his knee blows out, brain still works.

Yeah, that's what they've done the last few years.  The guys run through a line of fans, turn around and go home while we run.

Just noted over on hockeybuzz (I know, I know), that James Tanner is giving the Canes a shout out, as being a "surprise team" this year. Nice to at least be in the conversation!

Kjun,

We have been getting a fair amount of love out there this year as a favorite dark horse.

I keep thinking about a team playing Peter's system together with speed and more skill than people think. I watch Team North American in the World Cup......of Hockey, and no, obviously we don't have basically every #1 and #2 (and some #3's) pick for the past 5 years on our team, but the idea of a young team playing fast comes to mind.

Whether a slow Eric Staal and Chris Versteeg, replaced with fast TT and Aho makes the difference, or improvements from Rask and Lindholm and PDG, or a 4th line that can hit and score, whatever happens, this year will be different.  Could be the fears of not enough grit or guys not hitting their potential will play out, but could be that a team of young skill and speed playing the system is far more effective than most think.

There are definitely quite a few media types suggesting that the latter could be what happens.

The Island builder in me thinks this could be one of those teams that people refer to as "ahead of schedule".

One of the best ways to get ahead is a good start. That's my main hope at the moment.

Edited by remkin

I had posted earlier about getting a feeling that some had unrealistic expectations for TT and Aho this season.  I saw the following post over on Canes Country and it kind of illustrates where that feeling came from. 

TT and Aho

I have to say I’ve watched all of the Fins games. It’s a good thing I did because it helped temper my expectations of our new guys. Aho is good and TT is as well but I’ve been building them up in my head to be way more than they are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that I don't see this as a negative post.  Tempering expectations short term isn't the same as a negative outlook, and both are still kids with a lot of time for continued growth.  I'm thinking that around the time both TT will be coming into his prime the Canes will becoming legitimate long term contenders.

I'm not sure who the people are who have unrealistic expectations of those two guys, because I don't think they live here.  :)  Just my personal perspective, but all I am feeling and reading from hanging around here is mostly excitement that the whole organization is moving forward and that with the recent additions we can at least improve on our point totals from last year, and not digress.  Mostly a team concept, and less attention on individuals to carry the team.

On Aho, that guy on Canes Country might want to watch the replay of him without the puck.  Most impressive, and IMO where most of the hype comes from. Fans have different evaluations of players. Aho's recent rise to attention didn't start with the World Cup of Hockey.  Just sayin.

As I've posted before, I haven't seen enough of TT to have an opinion, but from limited viewing, he can help, particularly on the PP, 3 on 3, and shootouts, same as Aho.

And we know they will likely form a third line with Lindholm so even the coaching staff has tempered expectations.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I watched all of the Finn games too, and it did nothing to diminish my expectations for Aho or TT whatsoever. To be clear, I'm not projecting either guy to hit 65 points, and both guys have to learn the system, which could be an issue, but so long as we don't have crazy expectations, we are going to like both of these guys a lot.

I posted this elsewhere, but the WC is best on best, and multiple vet NHL players have commented on the speed, and world class defense and goaltending. Despite this, 19 yo Aho, looked good almost all the time and very good in spots, and so did TT. TT looks and skates like a high skilled guy. Neither guy scored, but then the entire Finnish team scored one goal, so really can't hold that against them. Aho quickly ascended to the top line, and TT got PP time in the last game. Both guys made plays.

I won't predict points for them, but I will predict many smiles watching them play.

These guys are huge upgrades over the guys we've typically rolled out there as our mid range top 9 guys.

And to think, one was a small second rounder and the other gotten for a couple of non first round picks.

I won't predict points for them, but I will predict many smiles watching them play.

And therein lies the rub. 99 percent of us are thankful that the ship has been brought about, that the compete level, possession stats, talent level and general outlook is 180 degrees improved from where it was just a year ago.

That accountability is finally a real thing, not some promise a coach makes and a GM prevents.

And that instead of trying to buy a decent season or two only to return to mediocrity, we're finally building the right way.

Bottom line, as ever: Haters gonna hate. 

I think you guys are missing the point I was trying to make.  It's not that anyone thinks that Aho and TT will disappoint, that we're not much better off with them, that there's not reason to be optimistic about the upcoming season for either of them, or even more so, for the team in general.  It's about expectations creeping to the point that they may not be entirely realistic that some may have experienced, myself included.  When I say "some", that doesn't mean I implied "you".  If you aren't experiencing "expectation creep", more power to you. :cheers:  

The guy from the other forum was an example.  His comment was about his own expanded expectations, not anything negative about TT or Aho this upcoming season (he said they're going to be good).  It wouldn't surprise me if he had started to subconsciously think that Aho might actually come close to approaching some of his Junior results in the World Cup. 

Here's a couple more examples to illustrate the point I was trying to make:

Our acquisition of TT has (legitimately) been covered very positively in the press, especially given how we got him basically for free.  In my mind I found that I was starting to subconsciously think that he might become a legitimate "top line" forward this upcoming season [using "top line" as the stereotypical indicator of skill level].  I was tending to forget that he put up Chris Versteeg numbers last year.  While I expect TT's numbers to steadily improve, I need to remind myself not to expect Skinner type numbers or better this season.

Press about Aho has really blown up.  He's being regularly mentioned in the same breath as Laine (who could have easily been a #1 overall pick in many years), as well as a strong Calder candidate.  After hearing stuff like that, I found my expectations rising. And while I'm not at all discounting that Aho could challenge for the Calder, I don't think it's fair of me to expect him to.  I need to remind myself that he's 19yo, not yet fully physically developed, and will be playing regularly on small ice for the first time.  Which is NOT to say that I don't expect good things from Aho, both now and in the future.  I think we're a lot better off with him than without him.  I just need to remind myself that in his first year he's not likely to have the same impact on the Canes as he did the Finish Junior team.

I got your point fine - you said you had a feeling that some people had unrealistic expectations of those two players this season. I assume that was directed towards "some" on our board.  I'd say that seems pretty normal for people to do if they aren't that familiar with the players, and its happened here before.  But this time, and only based on what I've read here, I don't think that is happening.  It's more tempered excitement (well for most people, anyway).  

Thanks for the warning on expectation creep.   :D