The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Well we do have too many LHD for the long run: Bean, Fleury, Slavin, and Hanifin.

I'm trying to figure out what the trade would be though. We don't want to give up any serious forwards, so it would have to be a LHD for RHD type thing. I would never trade Hanifin, but the Jets probably wouldn't take Bean, Fleury or Slavin for Trouba.

What did you have in mind, top? Or was it just more of a general interest thing?

I don't have anything in mind, for the very reasons you cite; we're pretty rich with upcoming RHD.

If I did have something in mind, however, it'd be Hainsey (for now) and Bean (for later) to the Peg for Trouba, straight up. The Peg gets two lefties for their 5-6 pairing for the foreseeable future, and we'd ice...

Slavin-Faulk

Hanifin-Trouba

Fleury-Pesce

Wow.

Not saying I'd do it; I think we need one more year of Hainsey's veteran presence on the blue line, and I'd hate to give up Bean. But if we've been seriously trying to re-sign Jordan, getting Trouba instead and exposing Murphy for expansion (who we renewed for two years, apparently for just that reason) is tempting.

You're not going to shake Trouba loose for anything less than a first-rounder with similar long-term potential. That said, I don't think Trouba's desire to play the right side equates to Drouin's hissy fit over ice time. The Peg is stacked with D so Trouba's right, he has nowhere to go, and as long as he's playing the left side his production is limited. Valid concerns for any player, particularly in a league where talented RHD are in demand. It's intriguing to think what he might achieve playing on his natural side here, and for how long.

But given expansion and our circumstances (Murphy would have to play in 35 games this year), maybe the timing isn't right.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Bean and Hainsey for Trouba is a deal I'd gladly do. Murphy takes care of the expansion thing, or if he got hurt, GMRF could make a later trade to address that issue. Trouba would fix the righty/lefty imbalance and our young defense takes an even bigger jump forward. The Jets probably want more than Hainsey for now though.

Bean and Hainsey for Trouba is a deal I'd gladly do. Murphy takes care of the expansion thing, or if he got hurt, GMRF could make a later trade to address that issue. Trouba would fix the righty/lefty imbalance and our young defense takes an even bigger jump forward. The Jets probably want more than Hainsey for now though.

Probably so. The Peg has signed a bunch of guys to long-term deals and are making some top-ten most improved lists, but without Trouba I don't know if that remains the case.

I'm not sure Trouba is in the cards.  I don't ever rule anything out but I would not bet the farm on it. I n fact I won't bet a cup of coffee on it. From what I'm reading Trouba doesn't want to be traded because of any trouble with the team,coaches or fans. Apparently he wants to skate right D, Top pair and according to Spectors Hockey  it was reported the Trouba camp sought an eight-year deal worth $7 million per season. 

That's a lot on his wish list for a team like us to meet

I'm not sure Trouba is in the cards.  I don't ever rule anything out but I would not bet the farm on it. I n fact I won't bet a cup of coffee on it. From what I'm reading Trouba doesn't want to be traded because of any trouble with the team,coaches or fans. Apparently he wants to skate right D, Top pair and according to Spectors Hockey  it was reported the Trouba camp sought an eight-year deal worth $7 million per season. 

That's a lot on his wish list for a team like us to meet

I think that's is a good point.

We are stacked on defense, but in the cap era, you really can't pay more than 3 defensemen, especially if you be a non cap team. Of course this is why eventually we're going to have to trade a D or two even if we don't get Trouba.

But I see no way Francis or PK are going anywhere near an 8 year deal, nor should they. Of course, that is just an opening offer too, he probably signs for less. But it could be that money is playing into this as much as Lefty Righty.

We do have the cap space though....if Trouba would agree to a lesser deal.

Still, too many things make trades not happen to ever bet on one. Fun to kick the tires though.

Edited by remkin

Interesting scheduling thing. A positive.

By my counts we have 7 back to backs ending in home games on the back end. Some say these are bad if the other team is rested because you in effect lose the advantage of and possibly the game of a home game. But in our case the other team is also back to back in all 7.   I can't remember this ever happening before. Basically these become a non factor.

We only have 5 back to backs ending on the road, and the first one isn't until December.

This is the best year for back to backs that I can remember.

Edited by remkin

He'll land somewhere but if he's asking for that much money and term he might be at home for a while - he probably should take up a hobby.

Yeah, those demands are big, but like Rem says, they're a starting point. From 800k to $7 million for eight years? Good luck, kid.

OBX, I don't know what Spectors heard, but Trouba is quoted directly on SportsNet saying he wants to skate top four.

Edited by top-shelf-1

well hockey is almost upon us. This has been a long off season. I don't think we are going to execute on a move. Here is to hoping that we have an injury free opening night and injury free pre season. 3rd time is a charm right?

Yeah, those demands are big, but like Rem says, they're a starting point. From 800k to $7 million for eight years? Good luck, kid.

OBX, I don't know what Spectors heard, but Trouba is quoted directly on SportsNet saying he wants to skate top four.

A little odd because the source is the same on Spectors Hockey, SportsNets Elliotte Friedman.  When these rumors start to circulate there is always some gray areas but since much of the info is coming from Trouba or his agent I think it is safe to say he has a few demands.

Hi all.

Does anyone know if tonight's match up against the Caps will be televised?

NHL.tv promised to broadcast the preseason.B)

Edited by aRyazanCaniac

Tonights lineup:

Nordstrom-J.Staal-Tolchinsky
Bickell-McClement-Stalberg
Bishop-Roy-Gauthier
Zykov-Poturalski-Brown

Slavin-Faulk
Lowe-Robertson
Chelios-McKeown

Lack (1st 2 periods)
Nedeljkovic (3rd period)

Watch: CSN Mid-Atlantic (DC market only)

ARyazan, looks like they're specifically taking a close look at your boy Tolchinsky. Steve Smith: "I think it's a real good opportunity for Sergey. He certainly has deserved it. He's come into camp in very, very good shape. He's worked hard every single day, and he's competed hard," Smith said. "He's been given an opportunity with two pretty good players. I don't think there's anyone in the league that wouldn't feel blessed to have an opportunity to play with Jordan Staal. That will do nothing but elevate Sergey's game."

Edited by LakeLivin
added

28 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

ARyazan, looks like they're specifically taking a close look at your boy Tolchinsky.

Yeah, he has been good. Always believed in him. Ever since he started to show impressive numbers in juniours. Now is really the right time for him to step up. With a whole bunch of promising prospects we have, this might be now or never for him. I would be just happy to see him in the line up against the Jets! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, aRyazanCaniac said:

Hi all.

Does anyone know if tonight's match up against the Caps will be televised?

NHL.tv promised to broadcast the preseason.B)

It looks like only in Washington

CSN Mid-Atlantic (DC market only)

2 hours ago, aRyazanCaniac said:

Yeah, he has been good.

He has been very good. The more I saw of him in the Prospects Tournament the more impressed I was, especially with his playmaking. He still overplays situations and winds up off his feet on occasion, but that's not a terrible approach for a guy his size. His stickhandling and shooting have always been impressive, but he's stopped trying to do everything himself. He's seeing the rink and opportunities to change the field of attack much better, and he can put the puck on teammates' sticks at speed.

Edited by top-shelf-1