The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I hope we start sending the guys that have no shot home quickly and get to a dadgum starting lineup and let them play.  Screw evaluation.  We can't afford to mess around and not be ready this year.

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I hope we start sending the guys that have no shot home quickly and get to a dadgum starting lineup and let them play.  Screw evaluation.  We can't afford to mess around and not be ready this year.

Whatever needs to be done to prevent tripping over the starting line (again) has to happen.

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

A bomb from the point top-shelf.  Not all our right handed D can do that,

Imagine having Trouba as well.

The key to that goal was the great puck movement. Winnik took the bait and dropped too far in coverage. By the time Faulk unloaded he was closer to the high slot than the blue line. And what a perfect shot. 

First, love to hear any thoughts from those who watched, so looking forward to that aRayazan,

Canes Country did a write up and the lines that caught me attention are below.

Eddie Lack played a total of 40:00 and let in no goals on 16 total shots. Over this time he made a set of crucial saves including a two-on-one and a couple of mini breakaways by forward Tom Wilson. Lack was able to weather the storm and stay perfect despite four separate power play attempts.

He didn’t do it by himself. Defenseman Justin Faulk was a huge reason that Lack was able to leave the ice without surrendering a goal. Faulk played tough defense and was able to help break up multiple scoring chances while covering the back post.

I realize that this is a super early, split squad, pre-season game, but despite all of the talk about the forwards, two things we need almost as bad, are goaltending, and a complete season by J. Faulk. That and an early start. Way to early to jump up and down, but allow me a smile.

Edited by remkin

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

Way to early to jump up and down, but allow me a smile.

Lack appeared (in replays, I could not access the game) to have better balance. His upper body was forward, knees bent, and his lateral movement looked better. But you're right, it is early! 

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Lack appeared (in replays, I could not access the game) to have better balance. His upper body was forward, knees bent, and his lateral movement looked better. But you're right, it is early! 

Given how slow our goalies have started recently. I'll take any sign of a better start. Any sign at all.

Edited by remkin

2 hours ago, remkin said:

First, love to hear any thoughts from those who watched, so looking forward to that aRayazan,

Canes Country did a write up and the lines that caught me attention are below.

I realize that this is a super early, split squad, pre-season game, but despite all of the talk about the forwards, two things we need almost as bad, are goaltending, and a complete season by J. Faulk. That and an early start. Way to early to jump up and down, but allow me a smile.

Yeah, well....he did the exact same thing in his first preseason game against the Caps last year, a two period shutout. Only difference was that Ovechkin was playing in that game. So.....

1 hour ago, MinJaBen said:

Only difference was that Ovechkin was playing in that game. So.....

...so here's hoping Lack realizes he'll lose his job if it happens again. How 'bout them apples! 

5 hours ago, remkin said:

Yeah, glad you said that.

Well I tried to enjoy the game (the World Cup did not work for me) so I might not be too analytical. And it was early morning...
First if all, it was very sore. As it should probably be for a preseason game. Except for some, of course.
1) I will certainly start with Tolchi. If not me then who can be a fan of him here? Many positives about him in this game. He has that first step to separate himself from the defense. He is very quick (both hands and feet), much like Skinner sometimes as it seemed to me. Can be quicker, I believe. Made some nice passes, too unexpected for recipients. He was good on the PP. Definitely making some noise now. The Caps broadcasters said that all heard about his fantastic play at the tournament, he is on a short list to enter the team being the best player on the roster so far.
2) Lack is not sore. He made some really nice saves. That win is thanks to him. Alex Ned. was good, too. The defense seemed to crack open  at times, specifically closer to the end of the game, they were solid. Too many penalties let them have their game. I liked Nedy in OT: a couple of stopped breakaways and 2-on-1s.
3) Faulk and Slavin – young veterans. Both solid on the PK and stable on the PP. Blocking shots. Faulk did not shoot the puck up to the OT.  I was yelling "C'mon, shoot!". That final shot was impressive. Slavin drew the penalty in OT carrying the puck in the offensive zone all alone. That was unexpected! 
4) J. seemed ready and physical. Did some nice puck-handling and skating. Gauthier is huge! But that reduces his speed. Always tried to finish his checks. Poturalski looked fresh and eager. Remembered him for successfully doing some stick checks in the offensive zone. Brown placed a perfect shot on the first goal, yeah. But disappeared for me after... McKeown, Chelios, Robertson, Roy and Zykov were ghosts for me. 

All in all, it was destined to be a game with a poor OT loss for us. Too many penalties. The Caps just got adjusted. Looked like a usual one-goal-last-season game which ended luckily for us this time.

P.S. they are so excited about having Brad Malone!

What do you think?

My observations:

Defense played well overall. Faulk, Slavin, and Chelios looked pretty good.

Dennis Robertson was "meh."

Keegan Lowe was probably the worst player on the team/in the game.

McKeowan started off looking solid and poised but his game broke down a bit as the game went on.

Unfortunatley Gauthier wins the "Casper" award as he was pretty much invisible.

Tolchinsky didn't do much and was man-handled/pushed around at times. 

Roy played well positionally but fumbled the puck a lot and took a bad penalty. He also looked a step slow. Hopefully he just had an off game.

Brown played well.

I thought Poturalski played well.

Staal looked like Staal with a little rust. 

Bickell actually looked strong, like he could be a force but for a guy who is looking for a "fresh start" he did an awful lot of gliding out there. If he would keep his feet moving he could have had more of an impact.

McLement played well defensively and looked a little quicker.

Stalberg was "meh."

Norstrom looked a little rusty.

Zykov made some decent plays, and he made some bad plays/turnovers. Looked sturdy but a tad slow.

Bishop had a couple decent hits but otherwise wasn't noticeable.

Lack looked good but wasn't tested too much. He made a couple of nice saves though. He played deeper in the net. He was much more calm and efficient with his movement and tracked the puck well. He took everything away down low. He looked like he did in Vancouver but it was only two periods of a preseason game.

Ned looked ok, he didn't really have a chance on the goal he allowed and it was on the PP. He had some trouble smothering rebounds but overall he looked fine considering his stage of development.

Overall it was a bit of a sloppy game offensively for both teams with not much chemistry evident.

The PP looked poor.

The PK looked good except for when Lowe was out there.

I think we played our style of game but we just weren't crisp/executing offensively or transitioning smoothly.

Washington tried to play their dump and cycle game but our defense stuck to their man/assignments and didn't give up much. Our forwards also did a pretty good job coming back defensively.

That's my take anyway.

17 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

A bomb from the point top-shelf.  Not all our right handed D can do that,

And a 1 timer to boot.  One of the biggest issues with the lack of PP success has been that things have happened too slow.  Quick, crisp passing and an effective 1 timer helps with that.

Thanks to Krule and Rayazan for the analysis.

I guess tonight's game not to be found? (other than Chuck I mean).

Edited by remkin

NHL.com has this tracker that shows lines and stuff. Looking at that and listening to Chuck. Not as good as video, but still...

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/car-vs-tbl/2016/09/27/2016010025#game=2016010025,game_state=live

OK that tracker is not ready for prime time, not current. Still shows line ups.

Lindholm centering Skinner and Stemp. Looks like Lindholm is really getting a shot at center, which implies the Linds and Finns line will be a thing.

Edited by remkin

On 9/27/2016 at 10:35 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

So maybe he's tuned out Marcoux completely?

;)

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Just out of curiosity, anyone get a feel as to how Wiz played?

6 time more than he did for us.

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Just out of curiosity, anyone get a feel as to how Wiz played?

Based on Chuck's play-by-play, Wiz committed the giveaway in his own end that resulted in our second goal. He was also out when they pulled their keeper late and (sounded like) he got a clean shot on goal. He had just over 21 minutes TOI.

All players' stats are here.

Edited by top-shelf-1

For anyone who's wondering about the above reference to the couple of guys needing to practice shots on the empty net, BOTH Skins and PDG missed TWO shots (each!) on TBL's twine late in the game. Long flight home - with plenty of references from teammates to barns, and their broad sides - for both of them, I'm sure!

Edited by top-shelf-1