The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

More on Roy:

At 19 years of age, Roy is not old enough to begin next season in the AHL – he must return to junior hockey or make the NHL squad – but he is eligible to play for the Checkers for the remainder of the regular season and, potentially, the playoffs.

Roy finished the 2015-16 season with 48 goals and 42 assists (90 points) in 63 games with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL). His 48 regular-season goals led all QMJHL skaters, and his 90 points ranked seventh in the league. The Amos, Que., native was a finalist for QMJHL defensive forward of the year, and, following the season, was named Chicoutimi’s 2015-16 most valuable player and the team’s captain. Roy (6’4”, 202 lbs.) scored three goals and earned four assists (7 points) in six playoff games as the Sagueneens fell 4-2 in their first-round series against Cape Breton.

Lake's editorial comment: the CHL Age Rule really needs to go. Or at least undergo some type of modification.  Similar to Fleury this year, you've got to think that Roy's development might really benefit from some AHL time next season.

Lake's editorial comment: the CHL Age Rule really needs to go. Or at least undergo some type of modification.  Similar to Fleury this year, you've got to think that Roy's development might really benefit from some AHL time next season.

Thanks for the extra information! I am looking forward to seeing if he can contribute to the Checkers for the remainder of their season.

I am going to disagree with you on your editorial, however. I think the age rule can greatly benefit a lot of guys, even guys like Fleury and Roy who seem to be very successful already at that level. It allows these prospects that are being successful, but are clearly not ready for the NHL, to work on one or two flaws or weaknesses in their play specifically without being put into the pressure of playing for a call up to the big club. Look at Roy and Rask, both had skating weaknesses that they were able to work on at the lower levels. McKeown was asked to focus on his defensive play and became one of the best "defensive defensemen" in his league. Would he have had the opportunity to focus on those skills while playing in a more results oriented AHL? If anything needs to change, it is the age at which these kids are selected in the draft. They probably should be taken at 19 or 20 instead of 18.

Edited by MinJaBen

I'd like to see the AHL age rules allow for 1st rounders to be exempt. This wouldn't matter on Roy, but there are often players that could benefit by moving to the AHL.

Yeah I like the idea of a team getting some kind of exemption. Even if it it a compromise. Team gets to pick one guy who can be moved to the AHL at 19 if they have played at least 20 games of the Junior season, or something. Maybe we're just too eager to get guys here, but a guy like Aho, if he were in Juniors, would have to go back again this upcoming season or make the NHL. Because he is playing in Europe we can start him out in Charlotte. Not an option if he were in Juniors, where he would have to go back and compete with much younger players.

At least the Finns and Swedes go back and compete with men at 19.

I know a lot of players have done just fine with that extra year of Juniors, so it's not the end of the World, but clearly, if there are teenagers good enough for the NHL, and some back to Juniors, there must also be a subset in between who could benefit from better competition, but not quite NHL speed or pressure.

That said, it seems pretty clear that very few 19 year olds actually want to play in the AHL. I'm guessing life is better in Juniors, and there aren't 27 yo goons taking runs at you.

Edited by remkin

In other news, the Canes sign Nicolas Roy, the big center from the QMJHL, to and entry level contract.  Knock on him is his skating, but it appears he's worked on that ala Rask.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=877935&navid=DL|CAR|home

Now let's get Aho under contract.

Improved in all areas this year and has size to boot.  Yes, we need veteran leadership, nor do we want to rush anyone when they're not fully ready, but with all the talk of 'developing from within', Roy and Aho are reasons for incredible optimism on the front end as well.  No, those two aren't enough, and no, they might not be ready for the NHL next year - but in 2-3 years they might be the forward equivalents of Hanifin and Slavin.  Find the forward equivalent of Pesce and i'm smiling and profiling...

One of the best signs of things to come is the fact that all of the sudden we seem to be able to draft in later rounds. We've got a few other interesting low round picks percolating out there too.

One thing that has stayed with me on the evaluation of the scouting staff is how Aho was looked at by many of the commenters as a reach that high in the 2nd round. He certainly seems to be living up to that draft position.

Thanks for the extra information! I am looking forward to seeing if he can contribute to the Checkers for the remainder of their season.

I am going to disagree with you on your editorial, however. I think the age rule can greatly benefit a lot of guys, even guys like Fleury and Roy who seem to be very successful already at that level. It allows these prospects that are being successful, but are clearly not ready for the NHL, to work on one or two flaws or weaknesses in their play specifically without being put into the pressure of playing for a call up to the big club. Look at Roy and Rask, both had skating weaknesses that they were able to work on at the lower levels. McKeown was asked to focus on his defensive play and became one of the best "defensive defensemen" in his league. Would he have had the opportunity to focus on those skills while playing in a more results oriented AHL? If anything needs to change, it is the age at which these kids are selected in the draft. They probably should be taken at 19 or 20 instead of 18.

On the other hand, you're forcing a 19yo 6'4" 205 lb kid (who will undoubtedly be even bigger next season) to play against teams that include 16 and 17 year olds.  Many here have touted the benefits of Aho competing against men instead of juniors when it comes to his development. Why might not the same be beneficial for North American kids in certain instances? 

Sure, it might be beneficial for some yutes to spend more time in Juniors than others.  But I think the onus should be on NHL teams to optimize the development of each prospect.  In my opinion a universal age rule doesn't allow that to happen.

Edited by LakeLivin

I like the James Reimer talk.  He would flourish in Carolina without the fishbowl media in YYZ.  When I listen to Manescalco after the game on the (Afterbirth for losses) Aftermath and he breaks away to Kinetico Spokesman Bill Peters for his thoughts on the game the pathetic softball questions Peters gets asked make me want to barf. There is never a hint of controversy in Carolina, its always a media love fest. Its easy to live and play in Carolina, reporters are scared to ask real questions of players or coaches. Anyway, give Reimer 60 starts and Eddie gets the remainder.  Let Cam walk - it's time. Only question is what would you have to pay Reimer to get him and would we?  If he plays lights out for SJ in the playoffs his fee will go up exponentially probably to the 6+ mil level.   

Whats the deal with Hayden Fleury? Is he AHL bound next year or the NHL? Its time for him to step up. I wouldn't trade any of these young D guys for anything.  Bring them along, bring them along.  Find two wingers via a trade or via UFA.  Two forwards who could each be counted on for 20 goals apiece and we would have been in the playoffs with the additional 40 goals.

The only way E ever comes back should be a one day contract to retire a Cane.

I wouldn't trade any of these young D guys for anything.  Bring them along, bring them along.  Find two wingers via a trade or via UFA.  Two forwards who could each be counted on for 20 goals apiece...

Honest question here - if you don't trade any of the young D guys for anything, who do you trade to get two 20-goal forwards?

Honest question here - if you don't trade any of the young D guys for anything, who do you trade to get two 20-goal forwards?

I'd go after them via UFA.  This is a relatively deep offseason for high-end forwards.  Seeing as though we're going to have in the 16-20 million dollar range to hit the cap floor, I'd rather go that route than give away a prospect.

I'd go after them via UFA.  This is a relatively deep offseason for high-end forwards.  Seeing as though we're going to have in the 16-20 million dollar range to hit the cap floor, I'd rather go that route than give away a prospect.

I'm not sure it's that deep.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/forward/ufa/

There are 11 forwards on the list currently making $4M or more.

You say relatively deep, but there are 29 other teams fighting for the scraps.

I know, some of the guys not in the 11 are due for their payday so they aren't in the 11, but some of those guys should be removed too, Doan, Vrbata, and (gulp) EStaal.

It's my take when I really try to figure it out that it's a lot more scarce to get elite forwards than it is in concept, and we also need to not only compete with $, but convince them we are turning it around after missing the playoffs for 9 out of the last 10 seasons.  FAs like to go to teams that not only pay, but will give them a cup shot.

Come on Ronnie, we have faith...

I heard the RF interview on The Fan, and his comments about Cam sounded like a replay of what he said all year about Eric. Basically, I have been in touch w/Cam's agent and we will take a few weeks after the season to see where both sides are at. I think the handwriting is on the wall. RF wants to cut ties w/the remnants of 2006.

I agree Blue. I think Cam or Eric would have had to really really step up and force him to want to keep them, because he's been waiting his entire tenure to get away from those contracts, and in some ways those players. Neither stepped up to anywhere near the level needed.

I'm not sure it's that deep.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/forward/ufa/

There are 11 forwards on the list currently making $4M or more.

You say relatively deep, but there are 29 other teams fighting for the scraps.

I know, some of the guys not in the 11 are due for their payday so they aren't in the 11, but some of those guys should be removed too, Doan, Vrbata, and (gulp) EStaal.

It's my take when I really try to figure it out that it's a lot more scarce to get elite forwards than it is in concept, and we also need to not only compete with $, but convince them we are turning it around after missing the playoffs for 9 out of the last 10 seasons.  FAs like to go to teams that not only pay, but will give them a cup shot.

Come on Ronnie, we have faith...

You make valid points, but if this season has proved anything is that we are turning it around, and we have money to convince players to come here.  Thing is, the top cup contenders (New York, Chicago, Washington, LA) are extremely cash-strapped.  A lot of big market teams aren't going to have the money to throw at UFA's like years past.  We have a good mix of young players and veteran leadership.

I think there are just as many if not more UFA's available than going the trade route.  There have only been a couple of top-end forwards mentioned as even possibly available through trade.  Also, with the salary cap not moving, trades are going to be the only route for some teams to improve their rosters.  There were 20 teams vying for Jonathan Drouin, but there can't be 20 team vying for Stamkos/Eriksson(examples).

The Canes will have plenty of money when the season is officially over and Staal and Ward and J Harrison and Semin are off the books.  We will be under league minimum so we have to spend.  Keep all the young D except Murphy - he's a bust now playing forward - and get the goal scoring forwards via UFA.

I think there are just as many if not more UFA's available than going the trade route.  There have only been a couple of top-end forwards mentioned as even possibly available through trade.  Also, with the salary cap not moving, trades are going to be the only route for some teams to improve their rosters.  There were 20 teams vying for Jonathan Drouin, but there can't be 20 team vying for Stamkos/Eriksson(examples).

I'm kicking the can down the same path on trades vs. UFA.

I really hope GMRF can improve the net, number one.

Then work on skill up front.

I see UFA's in two groups. The "it" list of top flight guys who will be overpaid, but are at least really good. They are the stuff of bidding wars and multiple offers, and something we have not gotten since I've been following this team, unless you want to count Semin, which I don't.

Then there are the guys still there a couple of days or more (sometimes way more) after the frenzy. Here are the value guys. They are low risk, possibly high rewards. This is most likely where we could pick up that complementary guy with upside. and is the most likely bet for us.

That said, there are guys in UFA as it stands now that would make a big difference, but they are mostly also guys unsigned because they're asking a lot. Also some of them have indicated a non Canes team they want to play for: ie Lucic is begging to stay in LA, Stamkos to Toronto, if not staying in Tampa, etc.

But Ladd, Louie Erikkson, Lucic, of course Stamkos, Backes or Okposo would all help. It is just hard to see them here.

I think the unfortunate reality is that we have serious needs for at least  2 top 6 forwards, preferably 1st liners and a top goalie, and to believe that RF can get all 3 of those done in one off season is unrealistic.  It's not that we don't have chits to trade or cap space.  It is availability of such players and competition with the other 29 franchises. 

That does not in any way mean I won't hope for it though.  Realistically though, getting halfway there would be great.  Solving one of 2 of these, i.e. goalie or 1C would be great, hope for one of the prospects to fill one of the top forward positions (or fill in lower and one of the existing guys elevate their game) and just keep stocking the shelves.  Having the shelves stocked is something new for us, and I like it.

This is pretty much where I've arrived too, that it's gonna be tough for RF to get everything we want. But I also believe that making the dance next year has to be a priority. We need to take that step at minimum, even if we go out in the first round.

If we have to sacrifice something, I too favor letting go of the second top-liner, not only because of the dearth of guys in that category, but because Bill is an obvious master at getting guys to raise their levels of play through competing for slots. I think the first line next year is Skinner-Rask-HopefullyOkposo, and that Skins and Rask will respond, especially if a true top-three guy arrives. If we can also secure goaltending that's able to steal a few games and Kyle or a similar talent, I believe Bill takes care of the rest.

THAT SAID...

I'm totally with you, if RF can pull off a three-fer, by all means, do so.

The Canes will have plenty of money when the season is officially over and Staal and Ward and J Harrison and Semin are off the books.  We will be under league minimum so we have to spend.  Keep all the young D except Murphy - he's a bust now playing forward - and get the goal scoring forwards via UFA.

Semin isn't off the books.  4 more seasons of paying him after this one.  I guess the fans will be paying for his buyout with reduced perks.

It is just hard to see them here.

One thing I think we sometimes forget: When HHOFer Ronnie Franchise comes calling and tells you this year's coach of Team Canada and his assistant Rod Brind A'mour are really hoping you'll come play in Raleigh and we have the money you want to play here, that's a heluva lot more powerful than Jim Rutherford begging a guy to come play for Kirk Muller at a cut rate - and be the next winger Eric can't play with.

Edited by top-shelf-1

One thing I think we sometimes forget: When HHOFer Ronnie Franchise comes calling and tells you this year's coach of Team Canada and his assistant Rod Brind A'mour are really hoping you'll come play in Raleigh and we have the money you want to play here, that's a heluva lot more powerful than Jim Rutherford begging a guy to come play for Kirk Muller at a cut rate - and be the next winger Eric can't play with.

Those a great points. I look for Carolina/Raleigh to regain some steam as a desirable destination given the youth movement and positive upward trend of the team. I think we're in a better position than other teams going through similar growth or rebuilds. I get good vibes from Ronnie F., so I hope it's not all smoke and this offseason is productive. Him and a reputable skipper like Peters provide sustenance to the equation. Now, if we can get our old jerseys back since the current ones resemble the Red Wings too closely, that would be great!! I also look to see home attendance to go up next year (hope so!)

Hi all. That's pretty tough to be back on the board already in the off-season. I know almost everyone is still excited 'bout the playoffs (with John 'Thatshockeybaby' working on some games especially) but is anyone interested in the upcoming Russian Worlds? I'm not going to Moscow 'cause all the tickets to see Kovalchuk & CO are long gone but still thinking to go up to St. Pete. I would rush up there if some kind of a meet'n'greet or an improvised autograph session was promised. Does any of you have the experience of visiting Worlds? Is there a chance to meet players and, most importantly, coaches?..

Edited by aRyazanCaniac