The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

According to Chip's tweets today, the Centennial Authority was considering an $80K feasibility study to which will examine the cost and logistics of building a practice facility adjacent to PNC.

Verification those funds were approved here:  http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article81410562.html

Keep moving forward.

Edited by coastal_caniac

According to Chip's tweets today, the Centennial Authority was considering an $80K feasibility study to build a practice facility adjacent to PNC.

Verification those funds were approved here:  http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article81410562.html

Keep moving forward.

They've talked about this forever.  DO IT!

BTW, the 80k is for a feasibility study, not the actual build.  I'm sure the actual build will be multi-millions.

BTW, the 80k is for a feasibility study, not the actual build.  I'm sure the actual build will be multi-millions.

That's what I meant, a feasibility study examining the cost and logistics of building a practice facility adjacent to the PNC.  Obviously this will cost more than the $80K study itself.  I guess the wording is poor, I reworded in original post, thanks.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Thoughts on Kirk Muller's jump to Montreal?

Muller is not here.  That is good.

Seriously, it brings back horrible memories.  Remember the days when clearing the zone meant rimming it around and up the boards or off the glass hoping one of your forwards could get to it?  How about spending entire shifts hemmed in your own zone only to get possession, dump it in, and go for a line change?  The endless stick checks?  And to further handicap the handicapped, the lineup he was given had over-slotted stamped on most of the player photos.  And then there is that elephant that's named out of it by Thanksgiving.

All the while we had a gufus handling both the business and hockey operations signing big contracts, trading away assets for quick fixes or to get rid of signings and trades gone bad. Those were the formative years that began the exodus of STH's.

Did I mention I'm glad he's not here.  And JR had no business being let loose to be king because he made a country club instead of a viable, consistently competitive hockey operation.

Finally, I'm wishing the day will come when the team is sold to majority owners who live and have investment in the local community. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

That's what I meant, a feasibility study examining the cost and logistics of building a practice facility adjacent to the PNC.  Obviously this will cost more than the $80K study itself.  I guess the wording is poor, I reworded in original post, thanks.

any thing is feasible when it is on someone else's tab

Oiler's radio announcer:

“So do I think Taylor Hall could be traded? I don’t want to see Taylor Hall traded but he gets you the most. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins gets you the second most. To me, right now, Jordan Eberle, I would say it’s better than 50 per cent chance one of Hall or Nugent-Hopkins goes. I would suggest to you it’s less than a 15 per cent chance at this stage that Jordan Eberle goes. It’s incumbent on the Edmonton to use one of the $6 million guys upfront and use that as asset to acquire the defence…If it’s me, I don’t even trade down at this draft. I take Tkachuk…. It’s quite apparent Matthew Tkachuk has closed the gap on Jesse Puljujarvi something fierce here over the last few weeks.”

I keep an eye out on what the Oilers are doing. Just seems like a lot of possibilities.

Last line still makes me want to trade up in the draft to #4.

Edited by remkin

The chairman of the group behind the Quebec City expansion bid doesn't think Quebec will receive expansion approval this year.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/quebec-city-not-hopeful-for-expansion-but-team-is-coming-eventually-says-quebecor-chair/

"said he doesn’t believe an expansion team in the Quebec capital is “for tomorrow.” Mulroney added that his opinion on the matter hasn’t changed much — if at all — since he commented earlier this year on the unlikelihood of Quebec City landing a team. One of the major factors is undoubtedly the plummeting Canadian dollar and the uncertainty surrounding its stability. Even if all else is in order, the low Canadian dollar likely put the biggest wrench in Quebec City’s chances of landing an expansion team.  “I have no comment on the Canadian dollar,” Mulroney said, via CBC. “But (commissioner Gary) Bettman has recognized that regarding Canadian teams, [the dollar] was an important element in the evaluation of a series of possibilities. We have to deal with reality.”

I mention this not as related to moving rumors (although Mulroney did say that he believed “eventually” a team would be heading to Quebec City, even if not by means of expansion), rather the situation around goaltenders.  There are a number of teams (Isles, Blues, Bolts, Pens, Ducks) that have more than 1 desirable goaltender they couldn't protect in an expansion draft.  I've got to believe that if the teams at risk knew that 4 goalies would likely be snapped up through expansion it would make them much more eager to avoid losing 1 with no return by making a trade before the expansion draft.  Which might open up the market and reduce the price it would take to acquire one.   

I moved the discussion over PK's family money fight here. 

It doesn't appear the discussion surrounding the family feud and ramifications will die down soon and even if it does will resurface. This way we have a thread for those who want to talk about it and those who don't.

If we could snag Taylor Hall from Edmonton for Justin Faulk then Ronnie is a genius. We'd be getting more than we'd be giving up.  Hall is the real deal, he was killer good in the Worlds.  Nugent-Hopkins would also be a good trade but not as good as getting Hall.

Ha, Luke finally moves off the ledge on trading Skinner, although it's well known from his previous articles he's been beating the trade Skinner drum for several years. He would fit in nicely here.

Keep it going Luke, at least somebody in the Raleigh media will take some liberties and offer an opinion, regardless of whether I agree with everything or not.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The problem with Luke is I question how much he actually follows the team, rather than piece together information he picks up along the way and just goes with it.  As someone who attends offseason scrimmages, training camps, and in-season practices, I never see him at any of those events.  Chip, who's too far in the forest to see the trees, is always at every event the team hosts.  Luke just seems like a well-written version of one of us board members.

Luke's piece was an interesting read. I just have to take some of it with a grain of salt since most of his writings on the team seem to have an agenda.

Interesting that the spokeperson for a Quebec franchise is the former Canadian PM Brian Mulroney a professed hockey nut. Whether its the Canes or a brand new team that is some serious lobbying power for a Quebec entry with mogul $$ backing to make it happen.  Be happy (for now) that the US buck is 29% stronger than the Loonie.

Edited by raleighcaniac

Interesting that the spokeperson for a Quebec franchise is the former Canadian PM Brian Mulroney a professed hockey nut. Whether its the Canes or a brand new team that is some serious lobbying power for a Quebec entry with mogul $$ backing to make it happen.  Be happy (for now) that the US buck is 29% stronger than the Loonie.

aHt1aW.gif

The problem with Luke is I question how much he actually follows the team, rather than piece together information he picks up along the way and just goes with it.  As someone who attends offseason scrimmages, training camps, and in-season practices, I never see him at any of those events.  Chip, who's too far in the forest to see the trees, is always at every event the team hosts.  Luke just seems like a well-written version of one of us board members.

This.

Luke (Chip too, for that matter) lost all cred with me when he and Chip did a video "preseason preview" which proved the bolded point above. It was obvious neither had been paying any attention all summer (and why would they, with NASCAR going on?!), and then they show up together rinkside in September, ad lib for three minutes each on video, post it to N&O.com and call it a "report." New media at its (De)Cockiest.

Edit: Just read it, and maybe I've got a little respect back for Luke. Yeah, he totally interviewed himself. And wow, since when did the N&O start paying by the word?? But seriously, he makes good points, particularly about the deleterious effects of PK's failure to really grow hockey locally, and JR's inability to engineer/disinterest in doing a rebuild. And for all our JR hate, his decisions in the Cup year, just like those he made this year in Pitt, were masterful.

The info about the nine minority partners deciding this fall whether they're all in or not is valuable, and I have to think somebody - probably Waddell, despite how we love to hate him - is pushing them hard and looking for buyers.

Worst of all, of course, although it's been known to all of us for some time, is PK's half-hearted "search" to divest himself. How deluded must one be to think that someone is gonna back up a dump truck of money, drop it at center ice, and let the recipient oversee its disbursement? Or as Luke put it: 

If anyone wants to buy and maintain my car, but let me drive it, let me know.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Edit: Just read it, and maybe I've got a little respect back for Luke. Yeah, he totally interviewed himself. And wow, since when did the N&O start paying by the word?? But seriously, he makes good points, particularly about the deleterious effects of PK's failure to really grow hockey locally, and JR's inability to engineer/disinterest in doing a rebuild. And for all our JR hate, his decisions in the Cup year, just like those he made this year in Pitt, were masterful.

The info about the nine minority partners deciding this fall whether they're all in or not is valuable, and I have to think somebody - probably Waddell, despite how we love to hate him - is pushing them hard and looking for buyers.

Worst of all, of course, although it's been known to all of us for some time, is PK's half-hearted "search" to divest himself. How deluded must one be to think that someone is gonna back up a dump truck of money, drop it at center ice, and let the recipient oversee its disbursement? Or as Luke put it: 

I agree that Luke makes some good points about JR's skill set - it's obvious from the Pens this season that he knows how to take a team with a good core and take it to the next level. I think, though, that old saying about everything looking like a nail when all you have is a hammer is accurate in this regard. It always seemed to me that JR wasn't able or willing to learn the skills needed to build from the ground up. My question would be "why did Karmanos keep JR as GM?" Was it because he was good at it, or because he was part of the the ownership group (PK, Thomas Thewes, and JR) that bought the Whalers in 1994?

The issue of the minority owners is also of concern. They have the right to cash out $22 million, or they can convert to "full ownership" status and assume a percentage of the responsibility for team debts. $22 million would be about, what, 5% of the $400mill that Karmanos wants for the team (or at least a majority of the team), so I don't know how much being responsible for 5% of the Hurricanes' debt will influence these investors. Me, I'd probably take my money and run, but I'm also not a guy with large discretionary income that I'd be tempted to invest in a professional sports team.

Insofar as the "deleterious" effect of not developing hockey in the Triangle, I think that's a red herring that Luke's throwing out. For one thing, it's a nebulous concept - what does "REALLY (my emphasis) growing hockey locally" really mean? - and for another thing, it's possible to argue that Karmanos looked at the Triangle and said "it would cost too much to build a Detroit-style hockey infrastructure in the Triangle to have it make sense." Really, it would have meant upgrading the existing ice facilities or building new, and that's an expensive proposition; in addition, it would be something that would have minimal PR upside for the team, which wouldn't motivate the team to make that part of their investment.

Luke is pretty dumb, IMO, if he actually believes that last analogy about the car. Heck, even *I* can Google (or whatever Internet search engine you prefer) the term "silent partner."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_partner

You might argue that nobody's gonna invest $400 million dollars in anything if they don't have a say in how the money's spent, but not everyone thinks alike, you know. Granted, most rich people didn't get rich by throwing their money away, but to claim there's nobody deluded enough to "back up a dump truck of money, drop it at center ice, and let the recipient oversee its disbursement" is like claiming there's nobody stupid enough to vote for Bill & Opus in 2016. ;)

Seriously?

Does this really make sense?

Couldn't PK pay some bills with his expansion share?

Exactly why I don't think there is a relocation issue for any team until they get through the expansion. Hard to believe the other owners would approve it even if PK was willing. I wonder sometimes if the people writing this stuff understand money.

Edited by super_dave_1