The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Hi all. That's pretty tough to be back on the board already in the off-season. I know almost everyone is still excited 'bout the playoffs (with John 'Thatshockeybaby'working on some games especially) but is anyone interested in the upcoming Russian Worlds? I'm not going to Moscow 'cause all the tickets to see Kovalchuk & CO are long gone but still thinking to go up to St. Pete. I would rush up there if some kind of a meet'n'greet or an improvised autograph session was promised. Does any of you have the experience of visiting Worlds? Is there a chance to meet players and, most importantly, coaches?..

Welcome back aRyazan. 

Having Kinetico Spokesman Bill Peters head coaching the Canadian team may not pay off immediately with signings but all those players on the roster will take back to their own teams some stories about what kind of coach he is like to play for and that may help possibly this summer but also next year and thereafter.  If he can kick every teams behind like the Canadian squad did last year he will prove he is 100% legit top end coach even though he is coaching a team (us) that still has a ways to go.

One thing I think we sometimes forget: When HHOFer Ronnie Franchise comes calling and tells you this year's coach of Team Canada and his assistant Rod Brind A'mour are really hoping you'll come play in Raleigh and we have the money you want to play here, that's a heluva lot more powerful than Jim Rutherford begging a guy to come play for Kirk Muller at a cut rate - and be the next winger Eric can't play with.

I didn't think of it exactly in this way, you make a compelling case that we at least have something to sell.  Good points.

So J "not really Happy" without big bro E. Francis giving him time before they talk.   It doesn't sound adversarial but something to keep an eye on I would think.

So J "not really Happy" without big bro E. Francis giving him time before they talk.   It doesn't sound adversarial but something to keep an eye on I would think.

RF: "Oh, for crying out loud. You want dad to coach you, too? This isn't bantams, Jordan. Grow up or waive your NTC. We're trying to build something here, and if you're not 100 percent in, tell me now."

At least I hope that's what he said.

I would hate to lose Jordan now. He has finally become the player we traded for and have been paying, and that Nesty-J-Nordy line is key to us getting good really fast. If we have to rebuild that, not ideal.

However, if he wants out, his trade value has to have shot up.

That said, listening to the interview, he really sounded like a guy who expects to be here, and see's a positive direction. He also mentioned that when the team falls short he understands changes have to be made.

I don't think it's an issue. I think this ends up being Jordan's team for awhile, and I think that is a very good thing to be honest. He picked this team up and put it on his back last year. People talk about making players around you better? Well who would say Nesty and Nordstrom are first liners? There is a nice chemistry there, and Nesty and Nordy also contribute to it, but Jordan drives that line.

We would have been a bottom dweller w/out Jordan last year.

He'll get over Eric's departure, and settle into a new role (as Captain IMHO) and with some exciting new talent up front before the offseason is over. And winning will solve the rest.

Edited by remkin

Yeah, I brought this up a couple times when E. left and most people disagreed that J. would question moving forward here without E.   I think he showed in this interview he's pretty unhappy without E. here and this wasn't the long term plan but he kept it professional with all the compliments about the team and the area.  I think he and RF have some serious talking to do.

what I think is most likely to happen is:  he tells RF he wants E. brought back or he would like to waive his NTC and move on(he said in his interview:( We'll see what happens with Eric this summer).  However, he's a good enough guy that if RF says no way,your staying here and E. is not coming back and we're making you captain, than I think he'd be ok and play for us and get over it.   

At least he's some serious trade bait if he really wants to go.  That's a hell of a trade package but a big whole to fill. This is really going to get interesting, what a summer we have ahead of us.

He'll get over Eric's departure, and settle into a new role (as Captain IMHO) 

I don't dispute anything you say, except maybe that N-J-N is a first line. It's not their game. I hope BP leaves 'em right where they were and RF brings in a top-three RW to play with Skinner and Rask. It's time to put pressure on our wunderkinds to do what they're here to do: Score goals. Assuming they have an elite RW, nothing should stop them--and no excuses should be accepted.

That said, you are right, J was a stud this year. He was just great, and right or wrong, he's always struck me as taking a more mature approach than E., and to be more of a lunch-bucket type player. Which is why RF's characterization surprised me. But I haven't listened in context yet.

Regarding the Captaincy, I hope the players decide, and that, if they choose J, he thinks very hard about whether he wants it. If management decides, I hope they too consider the baggage it brings, not only on-ice in terms of opposing teams' attention to him, but as related his bro's legacy and the pressure J will be under as "Staal 2.0." And to a lesser extent there's the fact that if another Staal wears the C right after Eric, is this really RF's team--or is it still JR's, since "Staals On Ice" was his brainchild/wet dream?

I don't know who gets it if not J, we've been saying not Faulk yet, but (WARNING: lots of IFs to follow) IF you make Faulk Captain, and IF he is at least as good as he was this season, and IF the D yutes continue to step up, you increase Faulk's value, perhaps bringing another top forward for '17-'18 - and then, with J fully transitioned to E's absence and if you're sure he is comfortable with it, he becomes Captain in '17-'18. 

Or, as other discussions on these boards have suggested, it may be best to have a transitional/itinerant Captain, a vet who can have it a year or two, like a Wiz.

Something else to think about if you make J the Captain now is that he's got an NTC until - what is it, 2525?  :lol: . IF things go south... well, didn't we just go down that road? And is there any risk that someone he trusts more than the organization - say, a brother who shall remain nameless - might feed any discontent J happens to express during the off-season?

Like I said, lots of IFs.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I listened to JStaal's interview, and I just think you guys may be reading too much into it.  He wasn't going to say he was glad Eric was gone.  He said "I'd rather have him here, but it's a business".

Nothing to see here.  Move along.  Move along.

Edited by super_dave_1

I listened to both the J and the Francis interview. J came across as a pro and if he stays he will play like a pro. But when Francis was directly asked about J replying to the E question saying he wasn't really happy also adding we will see what happens referring to E I think their is more to it than "nothing to see here". Francis in a separate question about naming a captain said they (management) would discuss and indicated next season could be A's again without a C.

In the end this may much ado about nothing but I would say at the moment there is uncertainty over J and will be until J and RF have their chat.

I'll listen to the Francis/Peters interview tonight.  I need to sit down for a while for that.  I listened to the JS interview at lunch because of the comments here. 

I'll listen to the Francis/Peters interview tonight.  I need to sit down for a while for that.  I listened to the JS interview at lunch because of the comments here. 

I also came away with the feeling J wanted to stay and mentioned the young team moving in the right direction. After you listen to RF I will be interested to see if you think the J situation could get interesting.

Francis in a separate question about naming a captain said they (management) would discuss and indicated next season could be A's again without a C.

I think this is the best of all possible solutions. 

We made a statement this year. Let's see this group, with the added talent we must get this off-season, put an exclamation point on it, and continue to play for each other. If they do that, they'll know better than any of us who is most deserving of the C.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Talk is just that; talk.  We all tune in hoping something will be said that is definitive and yet that never happens.  All you get are words like 'we anticipate', 'we think', 'its likely', 'its possible' 'well find out more' etc.  He could have said Cam will not be resigned or Cam will be resigned. He already knows what he's going to do with Cameron. Or, 'Mr. Karmanos has given me marching orders to get two top six forwards this off season.  RF speaks like a politician now leaving us to parse what we think he meant.

We are so below the cap that if management committed themselves to being a winner they could drop $30 million on 4 top end players within a minute of UFA starting; a starting goalie (like Reimer) and two stud forwards who have a track record of 20+ goals season in, season out and a third line forward who is willing to fight when necessary and will still contribute 12-15 goals a year.  We brutally lack team toughness. This is virtually a non-checking team allergic to the corners and blue paint play as a team. Without a new breed of tough guy who can fight and contribute offensively players like Lindholm and Skinner will play a perimeter game and the other kids under 22 will still get shoved around and intimidated by the men in the league.  Lindholm was so hyped yet he had a brutal season, a third line player at best irrespective of his assists.

The real and only question to be asked and answered is how much is that odd ball PK willing to spend? If all he wants to do is spend up to the league mandated minimum then maybe we get one decent top six forward and the rest will be journeymen happy for yet another paycheck.  Has PK even told RF how much he is giving him to spend? 

Agree with the 'scrap the Captain' letter next year.  Play with A's until somebody emerges as the grit and soul of the team which is not Jordan.  Everyone forgets how crappy his play was through early December.  He was terrible.

Edited by raleighcaniac

RF: "Oh, for crying out loud. You want dad to coach you, too? This isn't bantams, Jordan. Grow up or waive your NTC. We're trying to build something here, and if you're not 100 percent in, tell me now."

At least I hope that's what he said.

I haven't watched Francis yet, but this.  I mean there are 20-something other players on this team who aren't playing with their brothers, and i don't hear any discussion of them leaving because of it.  Jordan sounded professional, and if all's well, jolly good.  If that's not the case, then 'get off your pity pot, Nancy'.

Just watched BP and RF's presser. Great stuff. Even gave the skinny (well, body parts, at least) on injuries. Two already committed to surgery, Lindy (foot) and Hanifin (wrist). Rask is deciding on his shoulder, which suggests rotator cuff.

If that's right, it's no wonder he was a little less effective than we'd have liked (21 goals and all!). I've had that injury; it takes forever to heal without surgery, makes the motion of drawing back to that side on face-offs difficult, and if you happen to roll onto and sleep on the injured shoulder it hurts worse when you wake up than it does by the end of a long day--let alone the end of an NHL hockey game.

If it is his cuff, it's probably a smallish tear, because beyond a certain acuteness the pain is just unbearable and surgery is the only solution. The fact that he played some quantity of 81 games with it says a lot about the kid's character.

If he goes for surgery recovery goes anywhere from two to six weeks and you have to ease back into activity. But the biggest downside to surgery is that the shoulder is more susceptible to re-injury for up to a year.

Tough call, but on the bright side, it sounds like neither of our Swedes will be playing for their country in the off-season. Sounds good to me, let them heal and be 100 percent ready for camp.

Edited by top-shelf-1

He already knows what he's going to do with Cameron.

I think it depends on how much he's willing to spend. Ward said they're not that far off, and RF positively glowed over his second-half performance. Trouble is, we need first-half performance, too, and Cam has seldom seemed in a hurry to bring his A game. If I'm Ronnie, that constrains what I'm willing to give.

My guess: If Cam will take $3 million or less for three years (or less) Eddie gets moved for whatever we can get in return, and we're driving hard for a true #1 tender when the FA sweepstakes begin.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I too still need to listen to the Francis interview, but reading my previous post will reveal that I was pretty clear that the J interview did not sound bad, and I thought he was staying.

In order for J to play with E, A: we would have to sign E back or B. J would have to wait for E to sign somewhere, then we try to trade J there. This is so far fetched as to be nearly laughable. First, said team would have to have cap space for both of them. Want not only each separately but both together. Ideally need two centers. Take on J's NTC. And basically not have access to a DVR or any way of finding out how that whole thing worked out here, and lastly we would again (see E) be dealing with only one team and getting fair value would be near impossible.

I have to run, so can't listen to Francis right now, but I'm still fully on the Jordan Stays line unless I hear more. He has become a huge piece. Captaincy, maybe, maybe not, but on the team.

Edited by remkin

I listened to JStaal's interview, and I just think you guys may be reading too much into it.  He wasn't going to say he was glad Eric was gone.  He said "I'd rather have him here, but it's a business".

Nothing to see here.  Move along.  Move along.

This.  It's not like J even brought up the issue, a reporter directly asked him the question. How could he have answered the question in a way that was less concerning (for lack of a better term)?  Sure he said "obviously I'd rather have him here . . .", but that IS obvious and even then he discounted it with a "but . . ."  He said way more positive things about the team and where it's headed than things pointing to dissatisfaction with what happened with Eric. 

My take is that any story here is more likely one that we're creating through speculation than anything actually there.

Edited by LakeLivin

I didn't hear anything that concerns me, it's a reporter backing him into a corner with a direct question.  It's nothing unless somebody wants to make it something.

Edited by coastal_caniac