The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I don't care if they are Finnish or Kryptonian.  As long as they're not NO finish, can put the biscuit in the basket, I love them.

Fixed it for ya.

In case you didn't check, I did: Despite missing almost half the season, McDavid, who played 45 games, earned these schedule A bonuses:

- exceeded .73 PPG

- top 6 forward (team) in ATOI (he was #3)

- top 3 forward (team) in +/- (also #3)

If he makes the NHL All-Rookie team, which will be announced later this month - and isn't he a shoo-in? - he'll have attained the max Sch A bonus available, $212,500 for meeting/exceeding the standard in each four categories ($850k total).

On Schedule B, McD was 4th in the league in PPG, just above Crosby (the sweetness, in itself, of which is difficult to overstate). So he earned his $2 million Sch B bonus, too.

Not bad for half a season's work--and no "everyday achiever," for sure! 

Thanks top.  When you said that Aho was near the max ELC I knew something else had to be up for players like McDavid.  His performance bonus sure makes a big difference.  I wonder if there's a general range of draft positions who get performance bonuses? Like maybe top 10 or 1st round picks? Most new signees wouldn't threaten the McDavid criteria their 1st year but by year 3 some very well could. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I wonder if there's a general range of draft positions who get performance bonuses?

Yes. The official NHL range is "Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel."  :lol:

Out of curiosity I took a look at performance bonuses in a couple of Canes ELCs. 

Hanifin: $850k / yr

Murphy: $450 / yr

McGinn: $132.5k / 82.5k / 32.5k (interesting structure: the $ goes down as he becomes more likely to earn one)

Boychuk: $350k / yr

Roy: $145k / $70k / $70k (but Roy got only an $80k signing bonus, not the max $92.5k)

Aho: $0

Sounds to me like Aho's agent fell down on the job a little bit.

edit: I just read that the Canes didn't initially report Hanifin's performance bonus, so maybe Aho did get one but it's just not public yet.

Edited by LakeLivin

Sounds to me like Aho's agent fell down on the job a little bit.

Probably (as you note) just not reported yet. It's also important to note that the schedule A and B performance amounts listed for McDavid are also the max amounts for perf bonuses permitted for ELCs under the current CBA. Hanifin got the same deal according to spotrac.

Huh. I hadn't noticed.

I hadn't noticed either, but since I ignore the posts until somebody quotes them, it would explain that.

Edited by super_dave_1

I'm surprised nobody has even mentioned the signing of Aleksi Saarela.  From the research I've done, he's a first-round talent that fell back due to injuries.  He likely needs another season in Liiga, but most see him making the NHL in 2017.

Thank you Eric.

Yeah I prorated his goals over 82 games: 31 goals.

I had discussed him a bit when we first got him, but yeah, he was very very highly touted when he was much younger, and has had issues that have pushed him back. But this is a guy that early on was viewed as an elite talent.

I'm surprised nobody has even mentioned the signing of Aleksi Saarela.  From the research I've done, he's a first-round talent that fell back due to injuries.  He likely needs another season in Liiga, but most see him making the NHL in 2017.

Thank you Eric.

I guess probably because he hasn't been on the radar to make it to the team this season. Good signing, and I agree, probably a 1st round talent.

Wowwweeee! So pumped to see Saarela center a line with Aho in for the Canes in a year or two. They've played together now for quite a bit. And not only on Karpat, but in a couple Worlds too.

But mostly pumped to see Aho. He may skyrocket in recognition this coming season. Truly impressive so far and looks like he'll definitely be on the starting roster. He's playing for Finland at the World Cup of Hockey. Regarding the World Cup, it runs September 17th to October 1st. Is the NHL season starting later because of this? Wouldn't players participating miss on training camps/preseason?

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Thank you Eric.

A significant number of Rags fans lost their minds over that trade, and when they made their early exit in the playoffs, lost their minds again.  I did enjoy reading about that on some of their forums.

Some of the more sane ones have stated he is not a can't miss guy, but a lot of them thought he was their most promising prospect.  I'm happy for another lottery ticket.

Yeah yeah yeah... but he's under 6 feet and 200 lbs., so that probably explains it  :lol:

Probably (as you note) just not reported yet. It's also important to note that the schedule A and B performance amounts listed for McDavid are also the max amounts for perf bonuses permitted for ELCs under the current CBA. Hanifin got the same deal according to spotrac.

I did some digging and the 2 cap sites I trust the most (GeneralFanager and CapFriendly) list Hanifin's potential performance bonuses at $850k.  Seems like I've seen errors on Spotrac in the past.  For one example, here's what their text about Hanifin's contract says:  "$11,325,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $3,775,000".  That's not even possible under the CBA.

Oh, and the ELC max of $925k includes the $92.5k signing bonus.  I wasn't aware of that until I started digging around.

I did some digging and the 2 cap sites I trust the most (GeneralFanager and CapFriendly) list Hanifin's potential performance bonuses at $850k.  Seems like I've seen errors on Spotrac in the past.  For one example, here's what their text about Hanifin's contract says:  "$11,325,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $3,775,000".  That's not even possible under the CBA.

Oh, and the ELC max of $925k includes the $92.5k signing bonus.  I wasn't aware of that until I started digging around.

At least in regard to the total "guaranteed" amount, it's possible under the CBA, if Hanifin's deal does include the max possible performance bonuses: $850k schedule A and $2M schedule B. 

Add those to the $925K salary, and you get $3,775,000. Multiplied by three years you get that 11 million figure, and while that is called the "guaranteed" amount, it is "guaranteed" in that the player gets it only if he hits all the performance metrics laid out, in each of the three years of his ELC.

I'm inclined to believe Hanifin was offered the max on both performance bonus schedules. Though we don't know what hoops the club has required him to jump thru, it costs the club nothing if he doesn't hit them. The club probably figured he's unlikely to challenge for all of them, whatever they may be, until his third season--if then.

Paid-out bonuses count toward the cap in the season following the one for which they are paid, i.e., McD's bonuses for this year's work count toward the Oil's cap next season. 

More, from Wikipedia:

Performance bonuses count towards the cap, although there is a percentage that a team is allowed to go over the cap in order to pay bonuses. A team must still factor in possible bonus payments, however, which could go over that percentage.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Dreger says the Avs are willing to trade "big names" and states Mackinnon is the only safe player.

If this is the case, should we (or will we) be calling? Duchene would be a nice (and costly) addition. I know we already have some depth at center but Duchene would be the 1C we need. Landeskog is obviously another name people will mention but I think he'd cost even more than Duchene and be out of Francis' comfort zone.

What would Duchene cost us (13 and a prospect?), and would he be worth it?

Edited by TheFaulker

Dreger says the Avs are willing to trade "big names" and states Mackinnon is the only safe player.

If this is the case, should we (or will we) be calling? Duchene would be a nice (and costly) addition. I know we already have some depth at center but Duchene would be the 1C we need. Landeskog is obviously another name people will mention but I think he'd cost even more than Duchene and be out of Francis' comfort zone.

What would Duchene cost us (13 and a prospect?), and would he be worth it?

I'd take Landeskog over Duchene and pay him. Landeskog played (and roomed) with Skinner in Kitchener, he has that Swedish connection with Rask and Lindholm and Eddie. And he's 23.

But I don't think he's going anywhere, no matter what Dreger thinks.

It sounds to me like they aren't looking to rebuild so I don't know if they are likely looking at getting back picks an prospects - sounds more like they just want to shake things up.

They are desperate for goal scorers like we are, and I don't think we have any of those to spare and send back.  So, I'm not sure what his value is from the Canes?  Their defense is not good at all so that's probably where that would have to go in a trade for Duchene.

Edited by coastal_caniac

It sounds to me like they aren't looking to rebuild so I don't know if they are likely looking at getting back picks an prospects - sounds more like they just want to shake things up.

They are desperate for goal scorers like we are, and I don't think we have any of those to spare and send back.  So, I'm not sure what his value is from the Canes?  Their defense is not good at all so that's probably where that would have to go in a trade for Duchene.

Do you think Hadyn Fleury is a guy we'd consider moving in a trade this summer?

It might surprise, but I would be very hesitant to trade Fleury. This guy was the second defenseman taken in his draft, has developed well, skates very well is just about the perfect physical prototype of an eventual top pairing type.

My concern would be return. Would I trade him for Drouin? Mitch Marner? Probably, but we wouldn't get that for him at this point, and that is the level of return we would need, but probably not get.

That is why all trade roads seemed to lead to the conversation of Faulk. Would like to trade defense for offense, but need serious offense, and not sure anyone else brings that back. At least straight up.

Anyway, I think we will develop Fleury and get him NHL games, and I think he's going to end up being good.

With the expansion to Vegas now a certainty, I had a thought this am I'd like a comment or 2 about.  Sorry I've been away for a bit, but wife underwent bilateral mastectomies for breast cancer(she's doing well BTW), so have been taking a little respite.

At any rate, thinking on players we would make available for expansion draft, what is everyone's thought about how that decision would affect those players? If me, I'd be pretty bummed. Further along those lines though, could another team study those players being exposed (don't know if that is made public or not), and possibly find a few attractive, then attempt a negotiation to acquire these marginalized players. Of course, players being exposed are not "stars", but there might be 1 or 2 who could be useful in another system? Comments, or am I overthinking? Years of playoff hockey withdrawal makes one's mind do funny tricks!!!