The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Looks like good work from RF.  The Kid(Teravainen) had 13g and 22a on entry level contract so no cap money really spent there and  definitely 20 goal potential with other young guns we got coming in.  Bickell is huge at 6"4 224 and could bang away on the 4th line or be used in Charlotte I guess.  I'll take it. Hopefully the small start of some major things to come.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=886117&navid=DL|CAR|home

And just like that Teravainen and Bickell are Canes.

Wow! I knew the Blackhawks were trying to divest themselves of Bickell anyway, but I didn't think that Teravainen would be the cost for that. Had a decent year for a 21-year-old in his first NHL season; let's hope he still has some upside.

With the talent "drop-off" around #40 in this year's draft (that was mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but I'm not finding for some reason...), it's not surprising to me that RF decided to make the trade; the fact that he used picks acquired in trades is even better - the Hurricanes still have their own picks in the second round this year and third round next year.

The fact that the third-round pick is one that the Hurricanes got from Chicago in the Versteeg deal is even better - "yeah, we'll take Bickell and Teravainen, give you back that third-rounder you sent us AND give you a lower-end second this year...."

Edited by JonKerfoot

Great job RF. And another Finn? Isn't that Teravainen's nationality? Wasn't he a 1st rounder?

Yes. He's Finnish, played for Jokerit in SM-Liiga. The Blackhawks took him #18 in 2012.

Edited by JonKerfoot

Might could call this a little RF "magic". We got a first rounder who put up 35points in his rookie year for a 2nd and 3rd round pick that we got in other trades. And we still have a 2nd and 3rd round pick of our own. Sweet. And maybe Bickell surprises and brings physical and veteran leadership somewhere on the 3rd or 4th line. The more picks he gives away the less likely he's going to "trade up" in the draft.

Dang. Ron is killing it. Love this trade. Changes our whole approach to the draft and FA.

Ideal scenario for me after this trade is to make a package out of the two firsts and move up to snag Puljujarvi or Nylander. Then go out and make a nice offer to Okposo. He would be such a great fit here and we have the flexibility to take on a big contract.

Edited by TheFaulker

Looks like good work from RF.  The Kid(Teravainen) had 13g and 22a on entry level contract so no cap money really spent there and  definitely 20 goal potential with other young guns we got coming in.  Bickell is huge at 6"4 224 and could bang away on the 4th line or be used in Charlotte I guess.  I'll take it. Hopefully the small start of some major things to come.

I'm sorta marveling at RF's abilities here. Not only does he get two forwards for two lower-value draft picks (and ones that the Hurricanes acquired in trades), but he minimized the complications as best he could.

Bickell's on the last year of a four-year deal in 2016-17 with a $4 million cap hit, so if things don't work out he can be set free or the team can try to work out a more affordable deal for a 30-year-old grinder. I'm not sure where Teravainen is on his ELC, but if he performs as the team hopes, I'm sure they'll put some effort into retaining him when the time comes.

In case the Continental didn't make it clear, I love this move.

Bickel needed a change of scenery, Chicago needed the cap space, and we needed a new and more experienced Malone. 

But the Teravainen pickup is huge. What a great welcome for Aho and Saarela. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Wow is right. This is another masterful move. This is the cap-strap move we've been predicting. And to think the worst pic we gave up was not ours but the Rangers second round pick. Bicknell parlayed a wonderful playoff run a few years ago into a big overpayment contract. So we are picking up his contract is a big part of this deal. Clearly Teravainen is the prize.

A bit small for super Dave, still this kid has serious upside talent. His upside is far more than 35 points. But for a late second and third round pick? 35 point is still not too bad.

I was just listening to XM and the Islanders beat writer talking about Okposo, I'm not saying he would not be good for a's, but I still have Hopes for a Lladd or an Erickson , Though that is splitting hairs at this point.

While I am still a big fan of trying to move up in the draft even just a little, my guess now is that we step up and pick Bellows which I am fine with.

The reason I say that is because that second second round pick is what we might've used to move up a notch or two. Still, we do have multiple third round picks and picking at number 21, so we could still use our second rounder to move up a bit.

Edited by remkin

It is a good point by top that Bicknell may have more left in him him then we've seen. The guy was a beast in the playoffs a few years ago. Plus he is a physical guy and as pointed out above would be at the least a wonderful fourth liner

Edited by remkin

Dang. Ron is killing it. Love this trade. Changes our whole approach to the draft and FA.

Ideal scenario for me after this trade is to make a package out of the two firsts and move up to snag Puljujarvi or Nylander. Then go out and make a nice offer to Okposo. He would be such a great fit here and we have the flexibility to take on a big contract.

That would be ideal but why would someone want the 13th and 21st over a top 4 pick if we don't? It's possible but I think you have to throw in something else someone really needs, An NHL proven player or a top prospect plus those two picks. Not sure if that would be worth it or not, I guess if we got a guaranteed NHL ready guy it might be worth it.

It is a good point by top that Bicknell may have more left in him him then we've seen. The guy was a beast in the playoffs a few years ago. Plus he is a physical guy and as pointed out above would be at the least a wonderful fourth liner

4th line of Bickell-McClement-Nash? I like it.

TheHockeyNews had an article just yesterday about the top 10 players most likely to be bought out this summer. Here's what they said about Bickell:

Bryan Bickell, Chicago Blackhawks

Of all the excellent moves Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman has made, Bickell’s contract is his one, glaring misstep. Bickell’s contract has been an anchor for a cap-strapped Blackhawks team, and the only move Bowman could make to get Chicago some relief this past season was demoting Bickell to the AHL and taking the costly hit on the buried deal.

In the past two seasons, Bickell has played 105 games in the NHL scoring 14 goals and 30 points, but his average ice time has been at or below 12 minutes per game. That’s one expensive fourth-liner.

Bickell would probably still be an all right fit in Chicago were it not for his $4 million cap hit, but that’s something the Blackhawks can’t change at this point. Trading Bickell would be the favorable option, but, like Nystrom, Bickell’s cap hit is going to scare off most, if not all, suitors.

Buyout Details: The Blackhawks would save $3 million in 2016-17, but leave Chicago on the hook for $1.5 million in 2017-18.

---------------------------------------------------------

Great move by RF and raises this question in my mind:  if Chicago is willing to give up Teravainen to get rid of Biskell's $4m cap hit, what is Detroit willing to give up to get of of Datsuk's $7.5m cap hit? One big issue there is that we're in the same conference as the Wings.  I'd think that Detroit would be much more interested in working something out with Arizona than sending assets to the Canes.

Edited by LakeLivin

Another forward on that list of players most likely to be bought out is Thomas Vanek.  He doesn't seem the best fit for BPs style of play, and he's clearly not what he was a couple of years ago, but he did put up 18g and 41 pts last year and has just one year left on his contract.  I wonder if RF is talking to Minnesota to see what they might be willing to give up if we take Vanek for next season?

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm sorta marveling at RF's abilities here. Not only does he get two forwards for two lower-value draft picks (and ones that the Hurricanes acquired in trades), but he minimized the complications as best he could.

Bickell's on the last year of a four-year deal in 2016-17 with a $4 million cap hit, so if things don't work out he can be set free or the team can try to work out a more affordable deal for a 30-year-old grinder. I'm not sure where Teravainen is on his ELC, but if he performs as the team hopes, I'm sure they'll put some effort into retaining him when the time comes.

Any chance Bickell has a bounce back year and GMRF trades him at the deadline with some retained salary for a 2nd or 3rd? That would just be the cake topper on this deal!

Any chance Bickell has a bounce back year and GMRF trades him at the deadline with some retained salary for a 2nd or 3rd? That would just be the cake topper on this deal!

BBC, you have to change that avatar.

On your point, no. Canes won't be selling off this season. I smell playoffs.

This sure looks like a masterful move. You add two players with SC experience. I'm sure Teravainen is the prize. He is the right age and has promise. Bickell brings experience and could help on the bottom lines. He was the price to pay to get Teravainen and giving up those draft picks doesn't bother me a bit. Good use of assets. Bickell might work out for awhile.

Another forward on that list of players most likely to be bought out is Thomas Vanek.  He doesn't seem the best fit for BPs style of play, and he's clearly not what he was a couple of years ago, but he did put up 18g and 41 pts last year and has just one year left on his contract.  I wonder if RF is talking to Minnesota to see what they might be willing to give up if we take Vanek for next season?

I'm pretty sure everybody's talking to Minnesota about Vanek. Somebody speculated that they might part with Granlund but I just don't see it. They need to dump serious salary and somebody will take Vanek off their hands.

This is huge!

Potential lines for next season!

1-A Line
Staal / Nestrasil / Nordstrom
1-B Line
Lindholm / Rask / Teravainen
2nd Line
Skinner / Aho / Di Giuseppe
3rd Line
McClement / Bickel / Nash

Healthy Extras:

Terry / McGinn / Saarela

A lot of room for players who can move onto any line!

Now lets see if we can swindle the #1 pick away from Toronto!

They're always making some stupid move. :rolleyes:

Edited by hopper915