The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

At risk of being called for piling on....

Sweet move RF.  I can't believe he was able to get Teravainen for those picks, even with taking on Bickell's contract.  Very nice job!

If JR were still at the helm, this trade would've cost us our top 1st rounder this year and Justin Faulk...

Love the move...Hawks got rid of Bickell's albatross contract, we get to the cap floor, and we steal TT from them too...and we didn't dump any of our own picks.  Maybe Franchise can ring up JR and ask him if he can part with a mid-level in exchange for the bag of pucks he got from Shero over his numerous boneheaded trades?

Now lets see if we can swindle the #1 pick away from Toronto!

They're always making some stupid move. :rolleyes:

If they give up their first rounder this year I think the league moves THEM to QC--and the HHOF to Montreal.

This is huge!

Potential lines for next season!

1-A Line

Staal / Nestrasil / Nordstrom

1-B Line

Lindholm / Rask / Teravainen

2nd Line

Skinner / Aho / Di Giuseppe

3rd Line

McClement / Bickel / Nash

I don't know. I think the org wants Lindholm to get his shot at C and less ice time, so Aho and DiG might be centered by Lindholm, with Aho the option for when Lindy gets tossed. I think Rask centers Skinner and Teravainen, who can play wing or center, so that line has a second option for face-offs also--although Teravainen's percentage has really tanked the last two years. Hopefully Roddy can straighten him out. 

All of this only if we're done, though, and I'm not sure we are. We just made a serious upgrade for peanuts. July 1 is two weeks off and we still have money to spend.

Regardless who winds up where, I agree: The options this one move have already provided are freakin' awesome.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

Wow, nice surprise after gettin home from the boondox today.

If the coaching staff can have similar success with TT as they have had with Skinner this could be a great long-term move.

Good hockey trade.

I assume this pretty much seals the deal for Malone, and unless Nash is the 13th forward I don't see a home for him here either.  Nothing against Nash, he would be picked up by somebody I'm sure.  But we need space for PDG, assuming we fill that big hole on wing on the first line.  I'd love Francis to get KO to round things out with more money than term - he's right in that wheelhouse RF mentioned relative to age.

Great to be a Canes fan, these are the times we've been hoping for.

This was a sweet move that could benefit the team long term. On XM a guy from the Chicago media said that TT is absolutely a top 6 guy who "looks a little like Patrick Kane on the PP." I think this is going to be a steal. For a late second and third round pick no less. I think he puts up 45-50 points this year. He also said that TT's  upside is All Star potential.

I doubt we're done though. I still think we need one more guy up front, and to figure out goal, and maybe to move up in the draft?

More to come.

This one still has me smiling though... :) .

Edited by remkin

Surprised TT had such good possession numbers for a guy who started in the defensive zone 60% of the time.  I know a few of you follow the Hawks, who did he play with for most of last year and which line did he benefit the most?

w7MV85.jpg

Edited by coastal_caniac

RF adds TT on top of Aho, Saarela, and Zykov this last year. That on top of PDG and Roy gives some much needed hope in the forward ranks. He has played his crappy hand that JR dealt about as well as could be expected.

And Anthony Camara in the Liles trade.  It's hard to remember all of them.

I'm hoping there's more magic to come.  That first line right wing and a significant upgrade in goal. Butts in seats.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't know. I think the org wants Lindholm to get his shot at C and less ice time, so Aho and DiG might be centered by Lindholm, with Aho the option for when Lindy gets tossed. I think Rask centers Skinner and Teravainen, who can play wing or center, so that line has a second option for face-offs also--although Teravainen's percentage has really tanked the last two years. Hopefully Roddy can straighten him out. 

All of this only if we're done, though, and I'm not sure we are. We just made a serious upgrade for peanuts. July 1 is two weeks off and we still have money to spend.

Regardless who winds up where, I agree: The options this one move have already provided are freakin' awesome.  

Roddy will get him up in percentage.

And Anthony Camara in the Liles trade.  It's hard to remember all of them.

I'm hoping there's more magic to come.  That first line right wing and a significant upgrade in goal. Butts in seats.

From what I saw on the score sheets, Camara was 1000% better playing for the Checkers than for the P-Bruins.

That first line right wing and a significant upgrade in goal. Butts in seats.

I have to think if we get that RW, Nesty drops down to the fourth. Tough, given how he earned his spot and the chemistry that line developed, but maybe not so bad in terms of TOI coming off a back injury.

This is an unbelievably good move.  We took on Bickell's contract, but unlike Chicago we actually have a spot to utilize him.  The bad part of the contract was the term, and that is no longer a factor as he only has one year remaining.

And we picked up TT.  We gave up two draft picks that the percentages say have a 50% chance of producing only 1 NHL regular.  100% win for the Hurricanes!

Francis is pretty good at this GMing thing, huh?

Surprised TT had such good possession numbers for a guy who started in the defensive zone 60% of the time.  I know a few of you follow the Hawks, who did he play with for most of last year and which line did he benefit the most?

w7MV85.jpg

And he was used vs. strong competition. Despite his offensive prowess, the coach seemed to have no qualms about rolling him out there in the dzone and vs. strong players.

I didn't watch a ton of Blackhawk games, but the ones I watched TT was notable for his skill.

Given that we gave up two picks who historically have about a  1/4 chance of amounting to anything in the NHL combined, it hard to look at this having any downside, and a huge potential upside.

Edited by remkin

Right, ironman.

RF gave up two picks that had a 30ish and a 20ish percent chance of being an NHL player (probably 3 to 5 years down the road) for TT who is immediate skilled help for the team and is still on an ELC. The price for this was taking Bickell, who as you say, has a much more defined role on the Canes than he did as a pariah in Chicago. I don't have lofty hopes for his performance, but he can fill a role for one year. Maybe a fresh start on a contract year will be a motivator.

GMs take notice, there's a new sheriff in town, and his name's Ronnie Francis.

Edited by super_dave_1

On the Bickell part...

While he is overpaid, there is definite upside on him too. The main page has an article on him, but this was an excerpt:

“I’m a big power forward who likes to go in the corners and in front of the net and get in the dirty places where you need to create havoc to score goals and open up ice for your linemates,” Bickell said, adding that his size and experience in certain game situations are among his notable attributes. “That’s what kind of recipe I bring to the table.”

Sounds like the kind of guy we could use.

We just re-signed Ryan on a 2-way deal.

Bickell could surprise us. The bad contract aside if he can find his game again he will add some much needed experience and grit.

Are we planning to use TT as a wing or center? I guess training camp will tell but RF said he expects him to be a top 6 forward.

super_dave, While I heartily agree with your sentiments of "new sheriff in town", I somewhat shutter at use of these accolades, vivdly recalling the last time our group, me included, swooned over JR, and we see what was "behind the 3rd door". Not that I think RF is masterful at charades, but I am cautious.

On Bickell, I am very hopeful that a new start, particularly in a contract year, will invigorate, and the genius of this "trade" will be two fold!!

Needless to say, I am pumped, bring on 16-17!!!!!!!

Edited by KJUNKANE

Ok, that figures. Ron appears to be signaling that we will try to "outscore" our opponents, unless he unloads Lack and goes for another goalie(I'm hoping Anderson, the lost sheep, will be tempted back).

On the Bickell part...

While he is overpaid, there is definite upside on him too. The main page has an article on him, but this was an excerpt:

“I’m a big power forward who likes to go in the corners and in front of the net and get in the dirty places where you need to create havoc to score goals and open up ice for your linemates,” Bickell said, adding that his size and experience in certain game situations are among his notable attributes. “That’s what kind of recipe I bring to the table.”

Sounds like the kind of guy we could use.

I just loved reading the comments on Facebook about the Bickell/Teravainen trade. :lol:

Hurricanes fans are all "I like the direction this is headed. Let's go, RF!"; the Blackhawks fans are all "Teuvo's small and weak and gets tossed around like a rag doll and has the shot of a high school player. So glad we got rid of him and that deadweight Bickell who converted one good playoff into an oversize contract."

Interesting that Bickell mentioned an injury that he/the team didn't know about 'til late in training camp. Not that I expected the Blackhawks to say "hey, he was hurt but we didn't know that, so to save the team money we stashed him in Rockford" or anything....

Ok, that figures. Ron appears to be signaling that we will try to "outscore" our opponents, unless he unloads Lack and goes for another goalie(I'm hoping Anderson, the lost sheep, will be tempted back).

Well it hasn't happened yet. RF seems to have a great deal of confidence in Ward-0. He has pointed to his 2nd half of the season performance. Two years also bridges the gap until prospects might be ready.  If this happens I am gonna guess that our net is set until at least next trade deadline. Lack has a reasonable contract .

having said this I realize RF has a way of doing things on his terms so anything can still happen.

super_dave, While I heartily agree with your sentiments of "new sheriff in town", I somewhat shutter at use of these accolades, vivdly recalling the last time our group, me included, swooned over JR, and we see what was "behind the 3rd door". Not that I think RF is masterful at charades, but I am cautious.

I'll take any good feelings I can find after 7 years of crap. JR made a ton of moves that I disliked at the time he made them. A lot of them were very expensive in dollars and in personnel. JR was never willing to make the hard decisions (sell, rebuild, etc) where RF seems to be able to read the tea leaves. On the surface, his worst move to date seems to be an extension on Lack, but I question our goalie coach too. RF is taking the long term approach to franchise building where JR never seemed to be able to look past the current month.

You're a wet blanket. You are banned...1 year. I am the thread Nazi.