The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Ok, that figures. Ron appears to be signaling that we will try to "outscore" our opponents, unless he unloads Lack and goes for another goalie(I'm hoping Anderson, the lost sheep, will be tempted back).

Sign-and-trade?

It could also be a setup to a trade of Lack. Last year at the draft we had two goalies, and then still traded for Lack and moved Doby. I could see Ward signed to two years as a backup/insurance and then if a good deal for one of the tradable goalies comes along, we can make a move and possibly send back Lack to that team as a backup. If the Pens wanted to move Fleury, they will need a backup back that has played the 30/70 games to expose in the expansion draft. Lack would fit that bill perfectly at a much reduced cost from Fleury. Ward would fit that here as well.

Sign-and-trade?

Can't see that unless Wardo okayed it in advance, which I doubt. I think he loves it here and wants to stay, and RF's comments about him being "one of the top five goalies in the league in the second half" felt like Ronnie foreshadowing that Cam will be back.

I would love an upgrade in net, but I think if it happens, it happens by moving Lack--and I just don't know if Ronnie is going to quit on him a year in. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/hurricanes-sign-goalie-cam-ward-to-two-year-6-6-million-extension/

2 years $6.6 million as Super Dave said.

I assume no NTC, but not sure.

Quote from that article:

Carolina is unlikely to be a playoff team next year, but head coach Bill Peters and their stable of younger players are helping to turn things around.

I think some people will be surprised about that.

Edited by remkin

Just saw 2 years at $3.3m per

Yep. Two years, $6.6 million. $3.5 million in 2016-17, $3.1 mill in 2017-18. Modified NTC.

Reasonable contract, IMO. Good for both Ward and the team.

Edited by JonKerfoot

It could also be a setup to a trade of Lack. Last year at the draft we had two goalies, and then still traded for Lack and moved Doby. I could see Ward signed to two years as a backup/insurance and then if a good deal for one of the tradable goalies comes along, we can make a move and possibly send back Lack to that team as a backup. If the Pens wanted to move Fleury, they will need a backup back that has played the 30/70 games to expose in the expansion draft. Lack would fit that bill perfectly at a much reduced cost from Fleury. Ward would fit that here as well.

Hm. Lack and the second-rounder for Fleury, then trade down from #21 to replenish this season's second-round picks?

I know that's not a lot to offer for Fleury. What/who else could the Hurricanes add?

Hm. Lack and the second-rounder for Fleury, then trade down from #21 to replenish this season's second-round picks?

I know that's not a lot to offer for Fleury. What/who else could the Hurricanes add?

At this point, with Ward's AAV being $3.3M, I would guess that MAF would not be the target due to his $5.75M AAV. That would be $9M per year in goalies, a bit high. No, if we do trade a goalie for a better goalie, my guess is it would be a cheaper goalie that is brought in...maybe Andersen. He probably doesn't cost quite as much (cap, not futures) as MAF would cost (my guess is $4.5M AAV). 

McKenzie reported a "modified NTC" with the Ward deal. Anyone with some insight knows what that means exactly?

Probably means he can be traded, but can give a list of teams (usually about a dozen) that he can be traded to or refuse to go to...heard of both types. Definitely means he can be exposed for the expansion draft next year if we want to expose him.

At this point, with Ward's AAV being $3.3M, I would guess that MAF would not be the target due to his $5.75M AAV. That would be $9M per year in goalies, a bit high. No, if we do trade a goalie for a better goalie, my guess is it would be a cheaper goalie that is brought in...maybe Andersen. He probably doesn't cost quite as much (cap, not futures) as MAF would cost (my guess is $4.5M AAV). 

I understand that, but I wonder - F. Andersen rejected the Hurricanes before, right? Why would he have any motivation to change his mind now? I realize that he's not got much choice if he's traded to the Hurricanes, barring a no-trade that allows him to specify teams he won't play for, but still - I've heard weirder things than guys saying "nope, not gonna go play for them. Do to me what you will, it's not happening."

Maybe Thomas Greiss?

Lots of questions, but if we upgrade scoring, our current tandem can get us there. My guess is that Lacko is on special assignment with Marcoux this summer, and that RF will get a report between now and July 1. 

Peters coached Niemi in Rockford...

Is MAF really that much of an upgrade over Ward? I'm not about to sing Ward's praises, but look at their career stats. Regular season MAF is 2.56 GAA and .912 and Ward is 2.70 and .910. Yes, MAFs numbers are better, but at more money and the assets it would take to make a trade.

I see this as a bridge deal to get the team to one of Ned or Alt. It's about 800k more than I was thinking, but not horrible. I had my hopes set higher, but such is life.

I understand that, but I wonder - F. Andersen rejected the Hurricanes before, right? Why would he have any motivation to change his mind now? I realize that he's not got much choice if he's traded to the Hurricanes, barring a no-trade that allows him to specify teams he won't play for, but still - I've heard weirder things than guys saying "nope, not gonna go play for them. Do to me what you will, it's not happening."

Maybe Thomas Greiss?

I dont think the isles let Greiss go... I hope we can unload Lack,  very  happy with the Wardo  signing,,

Is MAF really that much of an upgrade over Ward? I'm not about to sing Ward's praises, but look at their career stats. Regular season MAF is 2.56 GAA and .912 and Ward is 2.70 and .910. Yes, MAFs numbers are better, but at more money and the assets it would take to make a trade.

I see this as a bridge deal to get the team to one of Ned or Alt. It's about 800k more than I was thinking, but not horrible. I had my hopes set higher, but such is life.

Well, everybody has their own opinions, but I think MAF is much better. To back that point up, I use the GSAA (goals saved above average) stat for goalies. It is a normalized statistic that takes into account the differences in shots each goalie faces and compares them to the average. When you look at that stat for last year, MAF was top-10 in the league while Ward-o was 52 and Lack was 66 out of 92 goalies with enough shots faced to be statistically significant. And in case you don't believe in a "new" stat, take a look at how it ranks the other goalies in the league. I think it does a great job of passing the eye test for me.

27420840400_eea26d7bf1_c.jpg

You guys are comparing a goalie who has played his career in Pitt to a goalie who has played his career in Car and they almost have identical stats.  Meanwhile Pitt has been a winning team since 07-08.  I think I know which goalie is better.

JonKerfoot, I for 1 would love to get Andersen back here for our Primary goalie. You ask the question, which I think is valid, of "why would he come here since he rejected us once"? I will posit that he didn't reject the Canes, perse, but actually rejected a goalie situation, At The Time, that he had no chance to be the #1, for a more favorable atmosphere. Those circumstances have changed, so a younger goalie, who we might bring in now, could have the chance to be our #1.

Now, I don't know these things for sure, but there was talk at the time that this might have been the situation which caused him not to sign with us and go back in another draft?

Francis is looking at the two stretches Cam had the last two consecutive years, after throwing out his roughly one month starts.

The first bad start Francis attributes to the new system and lack of player buy in. Not sure about the second bad start except that both goalies were bad.

The last 4 plus months of both years Cam had pretty solid numbers and some amazing games.

My only thing is this. The last thing this franchise needs is another bad start.

Edited by remkin

Francis is looking at the two stretches Cam had the last two consecutive years, after throwing out his roughly one month starts.

Yeah, well I'm a scratch golfer if you don't count all the holes. But when you do, I suck. Cherry picking statistics is for the dishonest.

Yeah, well I'm a scratch golfer if you don't count all the holes. But when you do, I suck. Cherry picking statistics is for the dishonest.

I think that is a valid point, but if you're facing the decision and having to try to predict what you might get out of Cam for the next 2 years, the fact that over the last, most recent 4 month stretch of hockey, Cam was, according to Francis, in the top 5 goalies, is a factor, and it should be.

I would not use those two injury prone years in my assessment, is that cherry picking? It may be, but it still more accurate.

Edited by remkin