The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

You guys are comparing a goalie who has played his career in Pitt to a goalie who has played his career in Car and they almost have identical stats.  Meanwhile Pitt has been a winning team since 07-08.  I think I know which goalie is better.

I also know which of the 2 is a certified headcase who can't stop a beach ball in the playoffs.

I've long stated my opinion on Cam, so I'll just say I strongly disagree with the signing.  What I do like however is that GMRF seems to be getting all of his affairs in order for July 1st.  The only thing he has left to do at this point is to extend Rask.  I think both sides can live with a 3x4 or 4x4 deal.  Once Rask is done, we'll know our cap space and how much we'll have to spend on UFA's.

A nice read on Teravainen

Teravainen Eager to Grow with Canes By Michael Smith

Where he fits in with the Hurricanes will be explored in training camp. Francis said he doesn’t yet have a preference whether Teravainen plays wing or center, and neither does Teravainen; it’s still simply hockey to him.

Can't find Shootout stats for Goalies, but I would expect MAF to be 4-8 points better for the Canes than either Lack/Ward.  That's huge.

IMO Fleury is one of the best shootout goalies around.

Can't find Shootout stats for Goalies, but I would expect MAF to be 4-8 points better for the Canes than either Lack/Ward.  That's huge.

In this I agree.  Biggest Cam issue for me is the one on one performance.  

Which is why I still say TRADE for one of the premier backups in tandems in the league.  Sorry Mr. Taco, it looks like you are now the odd man out.

If I had to keep either Cam or Lacko for my backup though, I still would go with Cam.

Finally, on the subject of loyalty, this at least is one tick in that column for any future free agents to consider.

Yeah, well I'm a scratch golfer if you don't count all the holes. But when you do, I suck. Cherry picking statistics is for the dishonest.

Did you cherry pick a stat in post 819?

Just asking

I guess RF felt the price and/or term and the cost in assets for an upgrade wasn't worth it.   We'll see if he's finished in goal, and if he is - oh well, it is what it is.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I am OK with this deal. With it both Lack and Cam are here for two more seasons, max.

I think Cam, unlike Eric, has been pretty humble and after getting his huge contract from JR, was just looking for a number both sides could agree on.

Nedelkovic will get a taste in Charlotte fairly soon, I expect and will be a decent 1-2 punch there with Altschuller.

For me, a some of Cam's issues in the past had to do with the lack of support he (and any other Canes netminder) from the 5 guys in front. Bad positioning/decision making on the part of our defensemen and forwards. Breakdowns, bad exit passes were more common back in the day than now.

These past two seasons can be attributed to a more discipline structure when in our own zone. There weren't too many times where the front 5 were out of position, not taking the body or not contesting shots. It made both Cam and Eddie's jobs not necessarily easier, but simpler.

NHL.com has shootout stats available, if you want to check it out. But to summarize:

Last season, Fleury had a .765 save percentage in shootouts (on 17 shots against). Ward had a save percentage of .714 (28 shots against). If Ward had made saves at the same rate as Fleury, it would have resulted in 1 less shootout goal allowed over the season. (Or 1.42 goals, if such a thing could happen.)

Last season, the Hurricanes were tied for 9th in shootout save percentage, and were 29th in shooting percentage. The problem in shootouts wasn't the goalie.

And to put the same kind of number on the shooting side of the equation, Pittsburgh shot 36% in shootouts, versus the Hurricane's 17%. Over the 28 shots the Hurricanes had, if they shot at the same rate as the Pittsburgh shooters, it would have resulted in 5 (or 5.08) more shootout goals scored.

Oh, i go incommunicado in the mountains for a few days and all this stuff goes on.

Agreed, the Force is strong with RF.  I'm not exactly bouncing off the walls over the Ward signing, but despite my hopes otherwise he did prove to be a better option than Lack.  Now if Francis can just find an upgrade over Lack (which wouldn't exactly be tough...

The future's looking very bright up front these days as well, but still need to find a top-6er for this year.  But, i mean, it's only the 16th of June.  Plenty of time...

So, I think TT is good to basically replace Versteeg's points, with even bigger upside as a possibility, especially in years to come, but this year too.

I have a lot of hope for Aho, but to expect major point production year one is still asking a lot. Unless Lindholm and Rask simply break out, we still could use one more scoring forward for this year.

But with the TT and Aho additions, and our strong defense, it would seem we are closer to at least making the playoffs than some might think. Of course we'll have to see if Cam can start strong for once, but if he's solid, we're close.

I want us to try to trade up in the draft, but unless Francis can somehow get up to #3, I don't think we get help this year there.

So I'm still holding out for one more move. Get us one more scoring forward. This TT move was so slick, we gave up so little, that there has to be one more move out there.

If Francis finds us one more scoring winger, and Cam can put a year together, this is a playoff team. Not in 2 years. Now. With so much powder still dry, I'm hoping...nay predicting he is not done yet.

Edited by remkin

I like the Ward signing and since ward wanted to stay here tells me he wants to win. I thing we need one or two more big guys. RF, go after Lucic, or Matt Martin, or Tom Wilson, or Branden Scheen. We need some more toughness.

I also know which of the 2 is a certified headcase who can't stop a beach ball in the playoffs.

x2

MAF is NOT a keeper I want anywhere this team.

I guess RF felt the price and/or term and the cost in assets for an upgrade wasn't worth it.   We'll see if he's finished in goal, and if he is - oh well, it is what it is.

I'm just not sure. Lack's total absence of rebound control had to be driving Ronnie crazy. You just can't give up rebounds like that in this league, and RF knows it.

Once the whole lineup shakes out may be the better time to revisit this.  Sure sounds like GMRF is done in net though.

Interested to see what kink of deal Rask signs.  He's the last guy going into the draft. 

For reference, Lindholm got 2.7 for two years.

I would guess Rask gets 3 years at around 4-mil AAV.

Edited by coastal_caniac

NHL.com has shootout stats available, if you want to check it out. But to summarize:

Last season, Fleury had a .765 save percentage in shootouts (on 17 shots against). Ward had a save percentage of .714 (28 shots against). If Ward had made saves at the same rate as Fleury, it would have resulted in 1 less shootout goal allowed over the season. (Or 1.42 goals, if such a thing could happen.)

Last season, the Hurricanes were tied for 9th in shootout save percentage, and were 29th in shooting percentage. The problem in shootouts wasn't the goalie.

And to put the same kind of number on the shooting side of the equation, Pittsburgh shot 36% in shootouts, versus the Hurricane's 17%. Over the 28 shots the Hurricanes had, if they shot at the same rate as the Pittsburgh shooters, it would have resulted in 5 (or 5.08) more shootout goals scored.

Our problem, particularly given the lower incidence of shootouts, is not shootouts. Our problem is that too many games go to OT, and that we don't win the extra point often enough during the OT period. 

In all of last season, we lost 5 games in shootouts, 11 in OT.  We won 2 games in shootouts, 8 in OT. So we picked up 10 points in shootouts and OT combined, but gave up 11 in OTs alone. Put another way, of the seven points available to us ALL YEAR in shootouts, we missed 5. Sure, a couple more would have been nice. But of the 19 points available in OT, we missed 11

The word "shootouts" suggests what they really are: a crap shoot. Worrying about them, particularly with the advent of 3 v 3 and how few games even get to the shootout, is pointless. Going to and losing during the OT period too often is the real problem. By adding scoring forwards, we're taking steps to address both issues.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'm just not sure. Lack's total absence of rebound control had to be driving Ronnie crazy. You just can't give up rebounds like that in this league, and RF knows it.

I'd move Lack just to not hear him in a post game interview. 

If we could get Okposo I would be totally satisfied with the off season acquisitions. I think Ronnie has the ability to make it happen. We still need more scoring, KO fits the bill with the youth movement and could emerge as a leader for this team.

:applause: Never been a fan of the beak (Marcoux).

I honestly believe if Lack is ever going to rebound and be an NHL-caliber goaltender, the only way he's going to do it is to get as far away from Beak as possible.  Dude spent half the season trying to mold Lack into the exact kind of goaltender he wasn't, and the results were stunning.  And by stunning, i mean awful.  It wasn't until Beak had supposedly backed off on that that Lack got any kind of rhythm whatsoever, but alas the damage had been done by then.  With the right guidance it's possible he can put last year behind him and grow, but i don't think the current goaltending coach knows how to do that with him.

I'd move Lack just to not hear him in a post game interview. 

His post-game interviews are bad enough after a rare win - after a loss, they're downright brutal.

My vote is still for Ladd due to his extensive playoff and captain experience.

I've gone on record more than once (though possibly not on this forum) that trading Ladd in the first place was one of JR's biggest snafus.  Sure, Ruutu endeared himself to many fans by suffering a black eye in his first game as a Hurricane, but all else he really brought to the table that Ladd didn't was stupid penalty after stupid penalty.  Not saying the guy sucked or anything, but he never replaced what we lost with Ladd.  And then of course Ladd went on to win another cup and then become a team captain while Ruutu had one great season (2008-09) and a bunch of meh.

Ladd may or may not be the answer, but i wouldn't shed a single tear if RF thought he was the guy and brought him back in.