The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

You never know what goes through the minds of GMs.  JR traded Jamie McBain and a second for Sekera.  Think RF wouldn't also give up a 2nd-rounder for a similar upgrade?

You have a point there!

In an earlier post I mention making Nash a sign and trade.

EDM has issues with its forward payroll and needs D. Pay Nash $2 million, send him to Edmonton. Other Oilers move up the depth chart, and it gets one of their big-number guys off the books, which they have too many of already. Meanwhile Murphy and McKeown provide organizational D depth and a solid prospect respectively.

Yeah, it's a question of how badly EDM wants to get one or more of those guys off the books. But three players for one to a building team is nothing to sneeze at.

Edmonton wants to move a top forward but what GM moves a 64 or 47 point scorer and the 4th for 2 players that will make no worthwhile impact to their roster, a decent D prospect, and the 13th pick? A soon to be fired one, that's who. Edmonton's only gain from a move is freeing up a top spot. They don't need to give away talent for cap space. Edited by gocanes0506

I don't think many hardcore fans have much faith in Marcoux.  Lack did state he wasn't comfortable being so far from the net, so that's not a good sign the coach and player were on the same page.  With these wacky goalies I often wonder if they are better off with just a strength and conditioning coach and that's it.

Still not comfortable with the same tandem going forward.  But if that's the hand we are dealt, I hope it works out.

Well a good goalie coach might say "This ain't working, let's go back to what you were doing, and I'll see if I can build off that."

And if we could get NHL average goaltending ,combined with a little extra goal scoring(Bickell scored 14 in 14-15, Gerbe, Malone, Terry and McClement scored 16 combined last year) ,we might be OK

Why do I have this feeling that our line up is set with the recent acquisitions? I hope not. The more I am reading about TT the less and less I likr him. Lack of work ethic, weak on the puck. Yes, he is still young but hearing what Hawk fans have to say about him does not leave a good taste in my mouth...

I guess it's better than having Terry man the 3rd line. From what I am reading TT is basically like Lindy but faster and not as strong on the puck. He is also not physical. He's versatile though but has not met expectations. A lot see him eventually being like Versteeg albeit with "less grit", This guy will not be our savior. Furthermore, he had more hype coming in than Aho from a scoring perspective. He does have upside though.

The way I see it one of Aho, Saraala, or TT will pan out and be a top 6 forward for us long-term. I like our prospects and depth now. It's time to unload a first or firsts for a true top line forward who is a leader and can bring a winning culture to this team. That would make us a playoff team assuming Ward and Lack don't go into vacation mode at the start of the season as we are all accustomed to seeing.

I'm not sure who we will sign or acquire but he better be fast. Get ready for a lot of Finnish fans coming our way. We're basically team Finland now. Get them to visit here and take a 2.5 hour trip to our coastline and/or mountains and they will immediately want to move here. From my phone this looks like a long post. TLDR? Just call me remkin 2.0.

Edited by bluedevil58

TLDR?

Nope, read every word of it.  Lineup is far from set i would think, if for no other reason than because we still have the Nashes and Gerbes and Malones to deal with, not to mention the draft where anything can happen.  That said, as always RF hasn't given us any hints.  We could sail through to the end walking up and drafting 'best player available' at each of our draft positions and then signing no further FAs (including our own) - or over the next couple weeks we may see RF trade every pick away for immediate difference makers and then sign a couple big-ticket UFAs to boot.  I expect it'll be somewhere in-between, but that's one of my favorite things about RF - you never know what he's going to do, and the majority of the moves he's made since taking over are things none of us ever saw coming, despite all of our speculation otherwise.

Either way i have a lot of faith in him.  I like some moves more than others (like i said, i'm still not bouncing off the walls over re-signing Ward), but all in all the future continues to look better and better.  And if he manages to jettison Lack and bring in a solid #1 Ward can back up, then perhaps i will bouncing.  And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that's what's on RF's mind and he manages to do it.

Drouin formally rescinds his trade request.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/drouin-rescinds-trade-request-wants-to-remain-with-lightning/

op·por·tu·ni·ty cost
noun
Economics
noun: opportunity cost; plural noun: opportunity costs
  1. the loss of potential gain from other alternatives when one alternative is chosen.
    "idle cash balances represent an opportunity cost in terms of lost interest"

Can you imagine the Canes offense going forward if we had managed to pick up Drouin when his value was at it's lowest?
Edited by LakeLivin

We were in on him. A lot of teams made a play at him. The price must have been very high. I know I wanted him here. Not everyone agreed. It was controversial what he did. My guess is that Yzerman had no intention of trading him unless the offer was too good to refuse. He actually handled it well, and now they still have their guy.

Why do I have this feeling that our line up is set with the recent acquisitions? I hope not. The more I am reading about TT the less and less I likr him. Lack of work ethic, weak on the puck. Yes, he is still young but hearing what Hawk fans have to say about him does not leave a good taste in my mouth...

BD, you have to take the comments of other teams' fans with a large grain of salt. When he's "their guy", he can do no wrong; trade him or let him go in free agency, and all of a sudden he's a weak, skinny, injury-prone locker-room-cancer waste of oxygen. It's human nature.

The Blackhawks weren't ever going to give Teravainen much of an opportunity - they already signed Toews and Kane to matching $10.5 million/year contracts, so you can imagine how much focus was going to be on those two. He was shifted line-to-line and position-to-position so much he never got to establish a chemistry with anyone, yet when he played top line, the combination was much more effective than it was with either Andrew Shaw or Andrew Ladd.

No, Teravainen isn't ever going to be a Bickell-style grinder. He's never going to be 6' 4" and 223 pounds. At 5' 11" or so and 180 or so and 21 years old, he's gonna have to learn to compete better. Who better than BP to teach him that? After last season, BP sure seems to know how to handle young players, how to get them to buy into a system and how to develop their skills to make them succeed in the NHL.

Edited by JonKerfoot

Thanks JonKerfoot, your thoughts are exactly mine. BD58, I 2nd those thoughts of not judging a player's worth by the fans he leaves behind. 1st and foremost, it's what has always been referred to as "sour grapes".

2nd, just because a player is not effective in 1 system, doesn't necessarily mean that he cannot prosper in another.

Finally, I've read that TT was playing hurt(shoulder), which my describe his timidity to play in gritty situations, you think? If for no other reason, Skinner may prove to be a good mentor to TT, teaching him the ropes to intelligently engage.

Keep the faith BD58, I too think that RF is just getting started.

Unless you have some inside knowledge, we have no clue as to what RF offered Versteeg as far as a contract extension.  That could just as well have been the reason he didn't sign an extension here as feeling he'd have a better chance at the cup with another team. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was RF who made the trade, not Versteeg.  RF could have kept Versteeg for the duration of the season and kept negotiations open.  But let me guess: Versteeg should have taken whatever RF offered at the time and by not doing so he displayed a lack of loyalty to the Canes that should make him dead to the organization forever more?  Or perhaps, at the deadline, Versteeg demanded a trade to a Cup contender?

My apologies if you've got some insider info, but seems to me you're making a lot of assumptions about Versteeg's motivations and using those to come to some pretty harsh conclusions.

That wisdom cuts both ways, Lake, and (dispensing with the snark), you don't have inside info either. Versteeg could have said, "I don't care what you're offering, I want to go to a contender." That's every bit as likely as the scenario you paint.

Getting back to the topic, RF has made it clear: He doesn't want aging FAs looking for term. Regardless the conditions under which Versteeg left, I don't think he's back on the basis of that alone. But I do also think that more generally, the Canes' days of recycling players are over.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

They don't need to give away talent for cap space.

This would be true were it not for the fact that the most efficient way of creating cap space is dumping big contracts--and talented players are the ones who get big contracts.

A Detroit fan on another board I visit just said Detroit sports radio guy is reporting "Carolina likely picking up Datsyuk's contract, along with Jurco/Pulkkinen."

Edited by TheFaulker

A Detroit fan on another board I visit just said Detroit sports radio guy is reporting "Carolina likely picking up Datsyuk's contract, along with Jurco/Pulkkinen."

Is that slash an "and" or an "or"? Gotta be "or" I would think.  Pulkkinen is an RFA, Jurco has one year left at $950k after which he'll also be an RFA. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Is that slash an "and" or an "or"? Gotta be "or".  Pulkkinen is an RFA, jurco has one year left at $950k after which he'll also be an RFA.

I think it's "or"

But those guys aren't that impressive to me. I'd want a bigger return.

This would be true were it not for the fact that the most efficient way of creating cap space is dumping big contracts--and talented players are the ones who get big contracts.

What is their need to create more than the 10 mil in cap space they have now?

Edited by gocanes0506

I think it's "or"

But those guys aren't that impressive to me. I'd want a bigger return.

Sure but I'm not sure any team would get a bigger return. Giving up a 3rd line prosoect so some team can take on cap status. The difference is no money is owed to the player, and less burden to the gaining team.

Given our prospect depth, not sure why we want to take their late round picks that aren't putting up any points. Unless Francis and the scouts think either of those guy has more upside than they've shown.

I would think we would add more to a trade to at least try to get a Nyquist or Tatar out of them, or why bother?

The season before last Pulkkinen put up 1.33 ppg and .74 gpg over 46g in the AHL.  That's a pretty good indication of scoring potential. He's a RW and just turned 24 in Jan. 

TheHockeyNews scouting report:

Assets: Has an excellent and slick shot, and is especially adept with the puck on his stick. He's a great dangler with great moves and plenty of scoring ability. Can play either wing position and is decent in his own end, too.

Flaws: Lacks ideal size for the wing position at the National Hockey League level, so he must continue to gain more strength and avoid injury. Also, he must become more consistent in terms of his overall work ethic.

Career Potential: Supremely skilled winger with some upside.

Edited by LakeLivin

A bit ambivalent to say "supremely skilled" and have the next words be "some" upside.

He did put put up some serious pointage in the AHL. 4th round pick, 5'11" 183. Another lefty.

NHL so far 20 points in 70 games over two years.

Is he on a two way?

I don't know the guy so maybe take a flyer on another small skilled guy with upside, but if so, I still say we need another move. But that's just me.

Edited by remkin

What is their need to create more than the 10 mil in cap space they have now?

Because...

- They have 2 mid-20s RFA wingers right now and 4 RFA forwards next summer -- two of whom are Yakupov and Draisaitl. 

- The cap is in American dollars, which is how all NHL players are paid. But Canadian teams' revenue comes in Canadian dollars, which at present are worth .78 cents on the American sawbuck. Imagine you've got $1000 in your checking account, but when you sit down to pay your bills, it only covers $780 worth. Now think of that in millions of dollars. I'll help: To meet their current payroll of $60,732,500 (per General Fanager) Edmonton must bring in 28.5% more than that figure in CND: $78,041,262. 

- They are topheavy with forward talent but their back end is atrocious, and they literally must do something about it, because of the 11 guys on their active D roster, 3 are UFAs and 2 are RFAs this year, while the 37-year-old Ference - who, rumor has it, cuts down and flips his sticks to use as canes so he can get to his rocking chair - has one year left. They need to add defense in a major way, and they're going to have to give up some of their forward talent to get it.

So why McKeown and Murphy?

The quick ascension of Darnell Nurse - a 21-year-old who averaged 20 minutes a night in his first full season - suggests McKeown **could** make the team out of camp. And Ryan Murphy - believe it or not - would actually be a serious upgrade. It's easy for us to beat on him, but how soon we forget: If it weren't for the combination of the concussion he suffered just as he appeared to have turned a corner - something most on this board agreed on at the time - and the unanticipated gifts that were Pesce and Slavin, odds are very good he would have been on the NHL roster all of last year.

Is this trade a sales job? Absolutely. But nothing aids sales like desperate buyers, and when it comes to D, desperate is not an overstatement for where EDM stands. Heck, you might get Eberle just for those two, but if you want to go after the fourth-round pick too, offer Nash or McClement and your 13th. You never know what they'll bite on if you don't throw it out there.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I think this rumor is BS.  Seriously, just look at what's rumored to come back.  Give me a break.  Don't waste your time on this one.

Edited by coastal_caniac

A bit ambivalent to say "supremely skilled" and have the next words be "some" upside.

He did put put up some serious pointage in the AHL. 4th round pick, 5'11" 183. Another lefty.

NHL so far 20 points in 70 games over two years.

Is he on a two way?

I don't know the guy so maybe take a flyer on another small skilled guy with upside, but if so, I still say we need another move. But that's just me.

I just took a closer look at Pulkkinen.  He's a righty.  Scouting report says he can play both wings and I'm guessing the Wings just needed him on the left side more (he was listed as a RW in the AHL).  He's an RFA so he still needs to be signed.  

20 pts in 70 games isn't too impressive.  Wonder if playing his off side might have contributed to that? He played 24 games to start last  season: 6g, 5a, 11p.  After that his playing time was sporadic.

I really don't know anything about the guy except that he did some serious scoring in the AHL.  If the rumor happens to be true I'm sure that Peters is pretty familiar with him and knows if he's a worthwhile risk.  Sounds to me like his upside is at least better than a Chris Terry, though.

But I'm in agreement that we'd still need another top 6 (preferably top 3) forward.

The radio guy  in Detroit who started the rumor has changed his "opinion" and Ken Holland was just on saying he's willing to eat the remaining year (=posturing).

Holland's a smart GM, and from his tone it sounded like teams aren't willing to help save the Wing's *edit* by taking on waiver fodder and bottom sixers for 10% of their cap space, whether they are going to need it or not.  The Wings will pay a premium.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If Detroit does sell Datsyuk's contract seems like the odds are that it will be to a team in the West.  Why give anything to a team with whom you might be competing for a playoff spot? I suspect that's a big part of how we were able to benefit from Chicago's cap woes; we're in the opposite conference.