The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Detroit is picking 16th. :grin:

Wings send the Datsyuk contract and the 16th to us for.....

I'd bet that's what teams are asking for and Det is not wanting to give up that pick. We'll see how it shakes out at the draft though.

Edited by TheFaulker

Because...

- They have 2 mid-20s RFA wingers right now and 4 RFA forwards next summer -- two of whom are Yakupov and Draisaitl.

- The cap is in American dollars, which is how all NHL players are paid. But Canadian teams' revenue comes in Canadian dollars, which at present are worth .78 cents on the American sawbuck. Imagine you've got $1000 in your checking account, but when you sit down to pay your bills, it only covers $780 worth. Now think of that in millions of dollars. I'll help: To meet their current payroll of $60,732,500 (per General Fanager) Edmonton must bring in 28.5% more than that figure in CND: $78,041,262.

- They are topheavy with forward talent but their back end is atrocious, and they literally must do something about it, because of the 11 guys on their active D roster, 3 are UFAs and 2 are RFAs this year, while the 37-year-old Ference - who, rumor has it, cuts down and flips his sticks to use as canes so he can get to his rocking chair - has one year left. They need to add defense in a major way, and they're going to have to give up some of their forward talent to get it.

So why McKeown and Murphy?

The quick ascension of Darnell Nurse - a 21-year-old who averaged 20 minutes a night in his first full season - suggests McKeown **could** make the team out of camp. And Ryan Murphy - believe it or not - would actually be a serious upgrade. It's easy for us to beat on him, but how soon we forget: If it weren't for the combination of the concussion he suffered just as he appeared to have turned a corner - something most on this board agreed on at the time - and the unanticipated gifts that were Pesce and Slavin, odds are very good he would have been on the NHL roster all of last year.

Is this trade a sales job? Absolutely. But nothing aids sales like desperate buyers, and when it comes to D, desperate is not an overstatement for where EDM stands. Heck, you might get Eberle just for those two, but if you want to go after the fourth-round pick too, offer Nash or McClement and your 13th. You never know what they'll bite on if you don't throw it out there.

Murphy isn't going to cut it. He gets whopped behind the net and front in the net. He limited mistakes during his "getting it time" but he's still too small.

Again, EDM wants to move but isn't desperate to move. They have plenty of time to jump on a deal that limited on potential.

Now with Cam Fowler looking like he is available a big trade could be had with us and EDM.

To EDM

Fowler

McKeown

Rights to Murphy (just for you)

To ANA

Kassian/Letestu

CAR 1st rounder (preferably 21st)

Lack

To Car

Rights to Anderson

Eberle/Hall

EDM 32nd pick

I believe this all mutually beneficial.

ANA: Moves D payroll, gets a 3rd liner they need, got a short term backup G, and a pick to give them some depth (traded a bunch of others)

EDM: woooo got a bunch of D real quick (need to move a roster D player) and moved 2 roster forwards.

CAR: got a top line forward, chance to have a top goal tender, and a good pick to compensate the loss of the 1st.

Sorry, but if we're going to help out Detroit in clearing some cap space so they can sign a Stamkos or Okposo and compete with us for a playoff spot they better be making it more worthwhile than another Boychuk, Dalpe, or drayson bowman. You either get the 16th or Anthony mantha and only negotiate on what goes back to Detroit. if Arizona or New Jersey will take on the contract for less, so be it.

Murphy isn't going to cut it. He gets whopped behind the net and front in the net. He limited mistakes during his "getting it time" but he's still too small.

Again, EDM wants to move but isn't desperate to move. 

And (again) that's how you see him. You don't know how they do, nor desperate they may be.

I do like your proposed deal, though!

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'm going to co-opt this thread briefly to wish my fellow Canes fans a Happy 10th anniversary of the Stanley Cup win! That was such a memorable night and experience. Mrs. Storm asked me this morning what I wanted to do for Father's Day, I said, "Go tailgate at the arena..." lol

Edited by Red_Storm

Sorry, but if we're going to help out Detroit in clearing some cap space so they can sign a Stamkos or Okposo and compete with us for a playoff spot they better be making it more worthwhile than another Boychuk, Dalpe, or drayson bowman. You either get the 16th or Anthony mantha and only negotiate on what goes back to Detroit. if Arizona or New Jersey will take on the contract for less, so be it.

I just hope we avoid the whole Datsyuk mess entirely, not only b/c I'm (frankly) tired of this org's seeming bottomless thrall of all things Red Wings (seriously, PK, get over it), but I'd much rather "get to the cap floor" with an actual player who is earning the money out on the ice. 

I'm going to co-opt this thread briefly to wish my fellow Canes fans a Happy 10th anniversary of the Stanley Cup win! That was such a memorable night and experience. Mrs. Storm asked me this morning what I wanted to do for Father's Day, I said, "Go tailgate at the arena..." lol

Back atcha Red. (Today's homepage is off the hook!)

Thanks Red. Simply amazing time. Locked me into this team.

Let's get back there!

Edited by remkin

Perfect

The 10 year stanley cup curse comes to an end!  Its gonna be a great year!  i swear JR made a deal with the hockey gods, give us the cup in exchange for  10 yrs of sucking.

Amazing time it was though, I was speeding back into town listening to the first period on the radio(my band was on tour and were heading back from pittsburgh, I made everyone get up super early and leave so I wouldn't miss game 7).  Got back into town middle of second period, sped up to the bar and watched it happen.  Hurt my hand in the ceiling fan when I jumped up screaming and broke the fan.  headed to glenwood south after.  One of the happiest nights of my life! unforgettable team, everyone of them.

The 10 year stanley cup curse comes to an end!  Its gonna be a great year!  i swear JR made a deal with the hockey gods, give us the cup in exchange for  10 yrs of sucking.

Amazing time it was though, I was speeding back into town listening to the first period on the radio(my band was on tour and were heading back from pittsburgh, I made everyone get up super early and leave so I wouldn't miss game 7).  Got back into town middle of second period, sped up to the bar and watched it happen.  Hurt my hand in the ceiling fan when I jumped up screaming and broke the fan.  headed to glenwood south after.  One of the happiest nights of my life! unforgettable team, everyone of them.

A fellow Caniac snapped me and Mrs. Shelf on the third-level balcony with "GAME SEVEN" on the RBC scoreboard in the background. Framed, that pic graced the Canes shrine in the man cave for years, and will again when the new man cave is done.

In the, "Is this news?", oh and what's your source...

Ottawa Sun: reporting it is unlikely that Eric Staal is back in Carolina.

If anybody thought centre Eric Staal, who was dealt to the Rangers at the deadline last season, is headed back to the Carolina Hurricanes as a UFA on July 1, it sure sounds doubtful that will happen.

It was amazing!! I recall getting a new credit card just for the playoffs and Stanley Cup. I went to every home game and had seats in the lower bowl. It is amazing how much you can spend on Hockey tkts during the playoff and Stanley Cup run. It did sting quite a bit when I saw the final bill,but worth every penny. I'd love to do it again SOON!!

Just still smiling about the trade for TT and Bickell.

Realizing the potential for both to be upgrades for us for opposite reasons. 

TT because he will probably play better and put up more points than he has to date. And Bickell because expectations are very low, but as a 4th liner he has a good chance of being a major upgrade there. 

TT: This guy is only 21 years old, and has only had one full season in the NHL (half a season and a full season). Yet he's already seen more playoff games than most of our team, and has a ring. But more than that, this is a guy who was mis-slotted due to the talent that Chicago has, and his not breaking out yet. Still, he did put up 35 points in his first full NHL season, and mostly playing with role players.

Also of note, he put up 10 points in 18 playoff games during their last cup run.in his first year. 

He is not gritty and a bit weak on the boards, but he can improve on that. But he oozes skill, and should feel less pressure here, allowing him to blossom. Many players break out in year 3 also. He should be able to put up 45 -50 points and could even beat that.

Bickell? Well if last year is an indication, he will be able to bang bodies on the 4th line. But he claimed an injury and apparently vertigo, and he has had a 17 goal 37 point year. But if we just look at the year before last, and his career average, projected over 82 games, he put up 28 points.

By way of 4th line comparison, projected to the same games here's what this year's 4th line types did prorated for 82 games:

McClement: 12 points

Terry: 14 points

Gerbe: 12 points 

Malone: 10 points

If Bickell bangs and hits and provides leadership and puts up say 20 points? Fine. Upgrade. To be honest we probably don't have room in our top 9 anyway.

Of course vastly overpaid for that, but we know that going in, that's why we got TT for a late second and third rounder.

Funny all the Chicago fans supposedly saying they won't miss TT now that he's gone. I came across a poll that PROPOSED trading Bickell and TT before it happened. Question:

Should the Blackhawks trade Teuvo Teravainen?

Yes, we need to get rid of Bickell: 37.7%

Heck no, what are you thinking? 62.3%

Seems they changed their tune after the fact...

http://isportsweb.com/2016/06/12/chicago-blackhawks-is-teuvo-teravainen-a-trade-possibility/

Edited by remkin

Also, on taking on Detroit's cap hit. I came across an article that made me think we might be able to get their first rounder.

Just a few days ago the Florida Panthers moved Marc Savard’s contract, 1 year at a cap hit of $4,027,143, and a 2018 second round pick to the New Jersey Devils for two AHL forwards. 

Datsuk's hit is considerably higher. Now that is a 2018 second rounder, but what if we threw in our second rounder, or something, say Murphy (can I get Murphy traded?).  

If we had Detroit's first we could package something to move up for sure, maybe way up. Or a little up and still have two picks. If we kept our second and used it to move up to say #9, we could pick: #9, #16 and #21. 

Just spit ballin'

Also from that same article made me smile:

Earlier today the Chicago Blackhawks moved Bryan Bickell and his $4,000,000 cap hit along with Teuvo Teravainen to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for the 50th overall pick in this year’s draft and Chicago’s third round pick next year. That asking price should terrify every Red Wings fan. Teravainen is a 21 year old forward who just scored 35 points in 78 games and posted a better 5v5 CF% than Jonathan Toews - and the Hawks had to give him up just to get two draft picks back for one year of cap relief.

Was an interesting take on the whole issue:

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/6/15/11946808/the-chicago-blackhawks-trade-teraivainen-bickell-red-wings-datsyuk

Edited by remkin

No, you're not. Even the org's write-up of the extension could only pump Cam up to 7th:

"Ward returned to the net on Dec. 18, and, from then until the end of the season, posted an NHL seventh-best 2.19 goals-against average.."

OK, a bit of a delayed reaction, but I just realized what they did. So we were very good at limiting shot attempts. So they used goals-against. But I think save percentage is a better metric anyways, especially if you play on a team that limits shots. 

Looking at save percentage, even Cam's good part of the year looks much more average.

It was amazing!! I recall getting a new credit card just for the playoffs and Stanley Cup. I went to every home game and had seats in the lower bowl. It is amazing how much you can spend on Hockey tkts during the playoff and Stanley Cup run. It did sting quite a bit when I saw the final bill,but worth every penny. I'd love to do it again SOON!!

Heard that. I had games 5 and 7 and a killer job so it didn't sting too badly. But what still amazes me is how easy it was to get tix. Soon as we got in I went online figuring "no way." Boom, lower bowl.

And for Game 7? Guy next to me got FREE tix from work, and it was HIS FIRST HOCKEY GAME EVER. To those who have read this story one of the other million times I've posted it, sorry--but it's still dumbfounding: I spent all night explaining the rules, and the history of the most storied trophy in sports to him and his buddy. Williams nets the clincher, he turns to his buddy and says, "That seals it. The traffic's gonna be nuts, let's get out of here."

Suddenly I realized why it was so easy to get tickets. The challenges of non-traditional markets, Eh?

5660958d53df6ad007002522b01158ec.jpg

Edited by top-shelf-1

Got seats half way up center ice 103. Game 5 Chris Berman of ESPN sat right behind us and we had a few nice conversations and a picture with him. Just one of many great memories.

10 years huh? Still remember that sickly feeling every time Fernando Pisani had the puck on his stick. 

What a run, what a ride. Pretty incredible too that ten years later to the day the city of Cleveland wins it's first title in 52 years. Once had a Cleveland fan tell me how jealous he was when he saw me wearing my Cup Championship shirt shortly after LeBron left for Miami. Hope he is celebrating tonight.