The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

The CanesVision  Staal interview ends at 4 min the interview on periscope goes longer. Q about Eric at approx 4:04

What he says isn't devastating. He admit says likes playing for the group but there is room for interpretation on E situation and what it means.

J Staal periscope

Haha..that did make me smile. I never said J would ask for a trade and he sure didn't sulk its only his reply led me to believe it is a situation worth noting and watching.

and this... Francis giving him time before they talk. Ask yourself what do they have to wait to talk about. Why does J need some time. He has a contract going into next decade. Why do they need a cooling off period. I understand with Ward they are in a negotiation but why with J?

Only other thing is the question about Canes on Team Canada and the statement, someone isn't playing to be with family.  You can speculate who that would be, and also speculate further on why he wouldn't play, but it is merely speculation.  But if you want to make those couple of leaps, you can.  

Also, I believe they had absolutely nothing to say in this presser that was definitive either way about the moon landing, so I am still not too sure if it was faked.

One other thing, I found Cam's the most interesting, and I feel pretty certain from it that Cam will take almost anything to stay here.  3M X 3 is what I would think (agree with Top) and go get another guy for #1 if we can.

If we don't sign Cam it is just a moving on statement, not a $ statement.

The CanesVision  Staal interview ends at 4 min the interview on periscope goes longer. Q about Eric at approx 4:04

What he says isn't devastating. He admit says likes playing for the group but there is room for interpretation on E situation and what it means.

J Staal periscope

I have to admit that the sentences after the 4 minute mark do suggest there is a sore spot from the Eric trade still there at an emotional level.

I would just note that Jordan is also aware that Eric will hear his comments, and hardly wants to say, "Hey, no problem, honestly never even missed the guy." Also, there is the issue of Eric coming back and Jordan not wanting to project that he has no feelings about wanting to play with Eric. Plus, Eric might really want to come back and Jordan would know this and could project that too.

But I cannot believe that Francis wants to move Jordan, and I believe it would be very hard to recover from that on the ice if we did. Big, effective power centers are very hard to come by. Jordan was effective before he found his offense, but now? I know it is hard to project him as a #1 center, but 2/3 of the year, the last 2/3, that's what he was. Despite not playing with elite wingers, he was at a ppg pace for a long stretch while also checking other team's top lines, and starting in the D zone.

If he stays at that level, and there are at least 2 Pittsburgh years to support that he could, then we have a legit #1 Center. Sure, not a Crosby or McDavid type, but good enough. We cannot let that go.

I still predict that time will heal, and he will want to keep playing with the crew and for Peters when the dust settles.

Edited by remkin

If he stays at that level, and there are at least 2 Pittsburgh years to support that he could, then we have a legit #1 Center. Sure, not a Crosby or McDavid type, but good enough. We cannot let that go.

I just don't see him as a #1 in terms of the traditional roles of hockey lines. He epitomizes the solid, defense-first second line center whose line's responsibility is to shut down the opposition's first line, and as you observe, his line did that to a T. But it wasn't a scoring line in any kind of a first-line sense.

Now if you're suggesting moving him to the #1 slot and seeing if he, Skinner and another winger (or even Nordy?) can put up first-line scoring, I guess that's an option. But from where I sit, in terms of offensive potential, scoring touch, playmaking ability, and elite skill, Rask is already head and shoulders above J. I therefore believe the risks in breaking up a known solid shut-down line in hopes of creating something that a guy has never projected to far outweigh the positives in letting that line continue shutting down the other sides' powerhouse lines. At least that way we preserve our chances to win games, should first-line production not click right out of the gate.

Just my $.02.

Thanks for the reminder, coastal. I almost forgot.  I usually start out on the "All Hockey All the Time" page so I didn't even see the thread for the contest.  

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/23513-2015-16-pick-the-stanley-cup-winner-contest/#entry431432

Time to do some figuring.

Edited by LakeLivin

One other thing, I found Cam's the most interesting, and I feel pretty certain from it that Cam will take almost anything to stay here.  3M X 3 is what I would think (agree with Top) and go get another guy for #1 if we can.

If we don't sign Cam it is just a moving on statement, not a $ statement.

Agreed.  Seeing Cam's interview on WRAL this evening makes me think the same to stay here. As he said, money is not a priority, it's being happy and feeling at home. Sounds like he'd like to finish his career here and possibly help this young team make another run.

As far as Jordan. He has proven in his times in Pittsburgh, when Crosby and Malkin went down, that he could step it up and be a leader. This is a prime opportunity for him. He would no longer be under someone else's shadow. No Eric, no Sidney, or Geno.

Edited by hopper915

I just don't see him as a #1 in terms of the traditional roles of hockey lines. He epitomizes the solid, defense-first second line center whose line's responsibility is to shut down the opposition's first line, and as you observe, his line did that to a T. But it wasn't a scoring line in any kind of a first-line sense.

Now if you're suggesting moving him to the #1 slot and seeing if he, Skinner and another winger (or even Nordy?) can put up first-line scoring, I guess that's an option. But from where I sit, in terms of offensive potential, scoring touch, playmaking ability, and elite skill, Rask is already head and shoulders above J. I therefore believe the risks in breaking up a known solid shut-down line in hopes of creating something that a guy has never projected to far outweigh the positives in letting that line continue shutting down the other sides' powerhouse lines. At least that way we preserve our chances to win games, should first-line production not click right out of the gate.

Just my $.02.

I guess I'm just saying that from about Dec-March, Jordan put up close to a ppg despite checking the top lines, starting in the D zone, and playing with good, not great wingers. His numbers for the year are obscured by the slow start he had offensively. If he'd have had an offensive October-December to match the rest of the year, he'd be a 65 point guy. That is first line.

And to offset the idea that Dec-March was just a fluke, his last two years in Pittsburgh Jordan put up 80 points in 104 games, and kept it up in the playoffs both years. That is .77 ppg, (63 point projected seasons). This just suggests that J is capable of putting up points more than people think. He could put up 70 points and it would not be a crazy idea.

I agree that he is a power center. He is not going to dazzle like a Crosby, but he can put up first line numbers. I agree that Peters may not use him that way because he is so good defensively, and can elevate Nesty/Nordstrom allowing others to fill in on other lines, but he could be used that way.

Rask vs Jordan is an interesting comparison. Both ended up with about the same # of points. Jordan started super slow, but Rask was apparently playing hurt a lot. Rask does seem to have more flash. Can Rask up his game one more notch to be the more prototypical first line center? I think he can, but at 50 points, he has not yet proven it.

I agree that Nesty and Nordstrom are not first line wingers, and as such, Jordan will probably remain as the "second line" center. I hope Rask can up his game one more level. Then we can find wingers.

But Rask-J. Staal, or J Staal-Rask. Either way, the quesiton will likely be who centers that third line.

Edited by remkin

Rem said: "But Rask-J. Staal, or J Staal-Rask. Either way, the quesiton will likely be who centers that third line."

I agree that at this point it's a little crazy to assign a given number to a given line. I think BP's end game is to roll four lines that are strong in all three zones, and the only distinction will be the amount of ice time each line gets. So in that regard, it doesn't matter who's the 1C and who's the 2.

The third is going to be very interesting indeed. It could depend whether we can pick up a top-three RW, but the org seems dedicated to having Lindholm at C, so you have to think he gets the third. The question is, if we can't make a deal for a top RW does he get put back on the wing, on that "other" top two line :) with Skinner and Rask--or do we want Lindy at C badly enough that PDG gets top-six minutes? I really hope the answer is yes. That line was really clicking before PDG went down, and if Lindy centering the third is the plan, now's the time.

I admit my view is colored by the positivity of yesterday's presser, particularly BP's comment about how competitive camp will be. Wallmark, Aho, Tolchinsky, Brown, Saarela, Woods, and McGinn will be all pushing for forward slots, so I'm increasingly convinced that with a couple of key re-signings (Nash and Ryan) goaltending and the acquisition of just one top-three winger should be RF's off-season focus. I'm also feeling more and more that even if we don't get the winger, we'll still be okay. Goaltending, to my mind at least, is now The Big Question Mark.

Since McClement's deal runs through next year, it could be a mistake to deal him now, even though he didn't have a great year. We know what he brings to the PK and the fourth. Keeping him, and re-signing Nash and Ryan would let us slot them on either side of Lindy, or on the fourth line with McC. ("Go ahead, throw our guy out of the circle! Fine, toss that one too!" Heh.) Move McC at the deadline for whatever you can get, and let one of them center the fourth. Or keep McC and let him walk - or retire a Cane - at season's end.

Would an Okposo be a great pick-up? Absolutely. But I can also see the internal competition that BP has made the new normal fueling a playoff berth--provided we solve the goaltending puzzle. That is now the top issue as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by top-shelf-1

It is an interesting thought that maybe there is already enough talent here or in the pipeline, but I think we'll be closer after this year's draft. Until then, we need to infuse some veteran "proven" NHL point generators. Even with Eric and Versteeg in our lineup we were close but no cigar. Yes, Eric seems to be a shaddow of his best days, but he's still a 45-50 point guy as is Versteeg.

If Rask and especially Lindholm make solid moves up (60 point range), and if Skinner keeps rolling, and if Jordan stays at the pace of his second 2/3 and if PDG takes a step, and if Aho is all that and ready for NHL point making, and if Nesty/Nord/Jordan stay healthy and effective, etc, we could slip into a lower playoff slot with better goaltending.

But we have moved forward with a lot of "if's" for 5-6 years now, and the ifs have not panned out.

We need to add a couple more pieces. Then, if all the if's bear out, we'll have depth, or could make a trade.

Until now Francis has not had the cap space or budget to make any splashes. And even then came up with Versteeg, Wiz, Lack, Nordstrom, and Nestrasil for almost nothing. Now, for the first time, Francis has some powder dry. I expect at least one good sized move to bring in a real nice forward.

Edited by remkin

I still think he'll bring in a solid forward from a team in cap hell for next to nothing. He may be on the hook for tough contract for a couple of years, but he can absorb it as long as it isn't long term. That, a quality free agent and a goalie to be named later could make this interesting.

It is an interesting thought that maybe there is already enough talent here or in the pipeline, but I think we'll be closer after this year's draft. Until then, we need to infuse some veteran "proven" NHL point generators. Even with Eric and Versteeg in our lineup we were close but no cigar.. . .

I don't believe that. More hope than likelihood on that front, imo.

So I'll piece together ideas others have already mentioned as my preferred path to the playoffs, both next year and well beyond.

Trade Lack for whatever you can get, sign Ward for relatively cheap, and pick up a young(ish) #1 goalie (Anderson? Reimer?). I love the idea of Ward as the Canes #2 goalie.

Pick up a good RW from a cap strapped team or the UFA pile. 

Faulk for Duchene (Oil aren't going to part with Draisaitl).  I know, I know.  But here's TheHockeyNews scouting report on Duchene: "Is extremely fast and industrious. Plays with fire and passion. Is a capable playmaker with plenty of goal-scoring prowess. Can play wing, where he uses his speed even more to his advantage, or at center."  And then they use the term "speed demon". Isn't that exactly what BP keeps saying he wants up front?

On our D without Faulk: RF thought Wiz was good enough to bring in for $8m for 2 years; that's a huge endorsement from a team like the Canes.  I'm comfortable with Wiz and Pesce as the top 2 on the right side, Hanifin, Slavin, and Hainsey on the left side. Filling in the 3rd pair right side spot shouldn't be all that difficult (especially compared with acquiring a legitimate 1st line forward).  And can anyone honestly say the D suffered greatly over the 18 games Faulk was out?  Put Wiz back into the mix, add in a summer of growth for the 3 wonder yutes, and target another right handed d-man. I think that lineup is even better defensively than we were this year.  As far as losing Faulk's offense, Wiz should pick up a bit of that and I expect our 3 wonder yutes to be much better offensively next season than they were this one. Plus we've got another legitimate top line forward. 

The numbers line up well. Faulk: 24yo, 4 yrs left on contract at $5.75m AAV. Duchene 25yo, 3 years left on contract at $6.17m AAV.   Reportedly, Roy isn't going anywhere and he's said more than once that he's going to shake things up, including looking at their core.  And they need defense. 

We talk about wanting a scoring 4th line. How does Lindholm centering it sound for a start?

Pull off the above and I think we're more than challenging for a playoff spot next year. I think we become dangerous once in. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Good thoughts Lake. For the record, I was replying to Top, and went on to say I don't agree, and we need to add.

Duchene for Faulk? Kind of like it. Duchene is not huge at 5'11", but the guy is elite in point production. He would be that prototypical 1st line center, giving us Duchene, Staal, Rask down the middle, which would be instantly formidable.

Add an elite winger somehow, some way, and out of nowhere we are a scoring machine.

Could work....

Good thoughts Lake. For the record, I was replying to Top, and went on to say I don't agree, and we need to add.

Duchene for Faulk? Kind of like it. Duchene is not huge at 5'11", but the guy is elite in point production. He would be that prototypical 1st line center, giving us Duchene, Staal, Rask down the middle, which would be instantly formidable.

Add an elite winger somehow, some way, and out of nowhere we are a scoring machine.

Could work....

Sorry, cut out a bit too much of your post. Edited it back in to clarify your intent.

Peters repeatedly talks about wanting us to play with more speed. With Duchene, in addition to added scoring you're also talking about shaping the team a bit more to BPs desired system. I mean, how much faster would a 1st line centered by Duchene be than the one centered by Eric?

Edited by LakeLivin

Duchene is a possibility.  The fans over there seem to think their core needs to be blown up, although a sizeable number of them think Duchene is the heart and soul of their locker room and should be untouchable.

Others say he is a head case, puts too much pressure on himself. If they gave him the C he would end up in the hospital from the pressure.  He is a hot head, mouths off to the refs.  

Also, the main knock on him is he is a notorious slow starter.  What was the mantra that everyone said in our exit interviews... "we need to have a better start to the season".

On the other hand, he is nearly a PPG player when he heats up.  And one of their primary needs is a #1 pairing DMan.  In 2 seasons, Faulk won't be a #1 pairing DMan on this team, but now he is.

Intriguing idea...

It is an interesting thought that maybe there is already enough talent here or in the pipeline, but I think we'll be closer after this year's draft. Until then, we need to infuse some veteran "proven" NHL point generators. Even with Eric and Versteeg in our lineup we were close but no cigar. Yes, Eric seems to be a shaddow of his best days, but he's still a 45-50 point guy as is Versteeg.

Okay, I just ignored this the first time you said it, but that's all I can stands and I can't stands no more!  :lol:

What counts is not whether somebody once was or could, maybe, still be a 50-point guy, but whether they actually are. Clearly - and despite playing on the same line - neither Eric nor Versteeg, two NHL veterans who should have been able to figure it out, were 50- or even 45- point guys this year. Based on the 33 points both amassed with the Canes in 63 games played, they'd have both ended with 43 points. So I think saying the Canes didn't get over the hump despite having these two guys is a stretch. I'd say the team almost did get over the hump despite having them!

You'll recall that no one was more excited than I was when we got Versteeg, but he was a disappointment. Another top winger Eric couldn't make it work with. Yeah, he picked up his game for maybe three weeks after sitting one out, but then it was back to "meh." I'd love to know how many wide-open nets both of them missed just before the deadline. But the larger point is that they played old and slow--on a team that is clearly being built for speed.

So - while an Okposo type or a Duchene would be welcome, and a coup - I'm increasingly disinterested in older vets with great resumes (read: cap space salary dumps), specifically because they're old. The failure of the first line this year can be directly attributed, based on the eye test and their stats, to the sluggishness (and that's being generous) of two-thirds of the guys who comprised it.

Unless the old wheels we get happen to belong to Jaromir Jagr, I say no thanks, we're good--and I let our kids take the puck and run (and gun) with it.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Intriguing idea...

It is, and if Edmonton would do it, Realm - if he really wants to dial the phone for Ronnie - would have to get by me first!  :)

Edited by top-shelf-1

Okay, I just ignored this the first time you said it, but that's all I can stands and I can't stands no more!  :lol:

What counts is not whether somebody once was or could, maybe, still be a 50-point guy, but whether they actually are. Clearly - and despite playing on the same line - neither Eric nor Versteeg, two NHL veterans who should have been able to figure it out, were 50- or even 45- point guys this year. Based on the 33 points both amassed with the Canes in 63 games played, they'd have both ended with 43 points. So I think saying the Canes didn't get over the hump despite having these two guys is a stretch. I'd say the team almost did get over the hump despite having them!

You'll recall that no one was more excited than I was when we got Versteeg, but he was a disappointment. Another top winger Eric couldn't make it work with. Yeah, he picked up his game for maybe three weeks after sitting one out, but then it was back to "meh." I'd love to know how many wide-open nets both of them missed just before the deadline. But the larger point is that they played old and slow--on a team that is clearly being built for speed.

So - while an Okposo type or a Duchene would be welcome, and a coup - I'm increasingly disinterested in older vets with great resumes (read: cap space salary dumps), specifically because they're old. The failure of the first line this year can be directly attributed, based on the eye test and their stats, to the sluggishness (and that's being generous) of two-thirds of the guys who comprised it.

Unless the old wheels we get happen to belong to Jaromir Jagr, I say no thanks, we're good--and I let our kids take the puck and run (and gun) with it.

Fair points. But Verteeg and  Eric with their 43 points paces, were still #4 and #5 on the list.  Versteeg had a rough patch, and he's streaky. He was in the end just a few points off 50. Eric is the guy who was supposed to be more than that.

Looking at the current remaining forwards and projecting more on them is also a dangerous thing. Rask had a career year at 48 points. Yes, he was playing hurt, but that is still his career year to this point. Will he push forward to 60 points? It's a fair bet, but then again, this was the year that Lindholm "should" have broken out based on the year 3 breakout of many players. Last year Lindholm: 39 points, this year: 39 points.

Most really good teams are indeed made up mostly of their own draft picks, but almost all of them also have well placed, key veteran pick ups.

When I look at the line ups we were icing at the end of this year? Yikes. I think adding one or two key vets up front can work out, and this team could use them. UFA's though, may not be the answer. Really, outside of the value with upside pick ups late in free agency, it probably isn't. But a key trade could. There you pick up a real asset, not just a veteran on his back 9.

It is, and if Edmonton  Colorado would do it, Realm - if he really wants to dial the phone for Ronnie - would have to get by me first!  :)

top, I'm not sure if you're for or against a Faulk for Duchene trade. Would you be blocking realm's path to the phone or beating him to it?