The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I would suggest that this actually is the year for a bigger move. I am not suggesting it will happen, but this team is going to be too good to end up picking in the top 8-10 now, so waiting for a draft pick isn't going to get us that guy. If Aho and TT are what they should be, we are one piece away. And that doesn't even count on any improvement from Lindholm or Rask.

As to guys for the future, we already have on the team:

Jordan, Skinner, Lindholm, Rask, Teuravainen, Aho, PDG, Nordstrom, Nestrasil,

We also will have this year's picks, as well as Roy, Saarela, Zykov, Tolchinski, McGinn and more in the pipeline.

Pick a name. Let's say we get Taylor Hall, but put in Duchene, probably even Okposo.

J Staal, Skinner, Hall, Rask, Lindholm, Teuravianen, Aho.....that's 7 top 6 guys.... how is that not enough?

Edited by remkin

I'd love to see Okposo...he's big, fast, fights when necessary, wore an A in NY, really good in the shootout and would look pretty darn good with Jordan and either Nesty or Nordstrom on the other side.

I've read that he's looking for 7 years and 50m+ though...that's a lot of cash and a lot of term. I don't think I'd make that deal. 5 years and 35m or so would be ideal. If another team wants to take on a 7 year deal, good for Kyle.

If RF truly has the confidence in the cellar he's built up that pretty much all of us think he has, i'd be very surprised if he signs anyone for longer than a 3-year term.  In 3 years every one of these prospects we speak so highly of will either be key cogs or will have proven themselves to be busts, in which case i have confidence RF will have already weeded them out.  Plus it simply doesn't seem to be his M.O. to sign people for crazy long terms.  Also keep in mind, of course, that with every year contracts will be ending and he's going to need money to keep them here.  A signing or a trade that gives him 1-3 years of a highly skilled top-6 forward sounds about right to me.

That said, watch him sign someone to a 10-year contract in the first 5 minutes of free agency...

In order to get 1-3 years he's going to have to trade for a guy with that much left on his deal, which I do think is a very possible move. But I'd doubt any high skill UFA signs for less than 4 years, and most of them will want 5 or more.

On another note, I've further simplified the draft contest. Pick 1-10 and our picks, answer three questions and your done!

Okposo is my ideal choice but I'm not getting my hopes up. There is going to be too much competition for him and I think he gets way overpaid by a Canadian team.

Duchene is my next favorite option. Skinner and Duchene together on the top line could be deadly. And we could put Rask as 3C rather than rush him to the top line. It'll be a steep price in a trade but we have the assets to do it. I think it'd be worth it.

Edited by TheFaulker

If we went Duchene, Jordan, Rask down the middle, it would work for two reasons.

1. J and Rask are both underslotted at 2C and 3C, and are instantly among the best in the league, and Duchene is at least an average 1C.

2. Since Nest/Nord/J works, that leaves us with prime wingers for the first and third lines in Lindy, Skinner, Aho and TT.

Thus that third line would be absolutely lethal no matter who we put with Rask. The goal of almost every team in the league (and our stated goal through multiple regimes): 3 scoring lines, would be a reality. Heck a 4th line of Bickell/Nash/PDG could put up some points too.

Edited by remkin

If we went Duchene, Jordan, Rask down the middle, it would work for two reasons.

1. J and Rask are both underslotted at 2C and 3C, and are instantly among the best in the league, and Duchene is at least an average 1C.

2. Since Nest/Nord/J works, that leaves us with prime wingers for the first and third lines in Lindy, Skinner, Aho and TT.

Thus that third line would be absolutely lethal no matter who we put with Rask. The goal of almost every team in the league (and our stated goal through multiple regimes): 3 scoring lines, would be a reality. Heck a 4th line of Bickell/Nash/PDG could put up some points too.

What do you think we'd have to give up in the trade? One of the firsts would definitely have to go. I don't know what prospects we'd be willing to send though.

What do you think we'd have to give up in the trade? One of the firsts would definitely have to go. I don't know what prospects we'd be willing to send though.

Yeah that's the rub. Previous discussions involved Faulk, which we've talked to death. I'm not sure picks would be enough. And I'm not sure we have any prospects that would get us there either. And if we start combining picks and elite prospects, almost certainly Francis doesn't want to go there. ie: both first rounders and Fleury. Too much.

I think to get to that level: Duchene, Draisaitl (to keep bringing him up), etc, we are talking Faulk. Now w/ Colorado I would still be tempted if we did Faulk and #21 for Duchene and #10. But to be honest I don't really see us moving Faulk this year, despite kicking at that can quite a bit.

So it is hard to find a deal that works without Faulk or a current forward we don't want to lose.

Edited by remkin

I have tried to find in the threads but how is Wisniewski coming along? 

Thanks in advance!

He was skating again before the season ended, but there is noticeably little "official word" from the org. 

I do think there is a lot of noise out there on other options too though.

Just heard that Columbus is open to trading #3. They want rid of Hartnell's contract. He's a righty and gritty. Good vor 40-50 points. He has three years left, but it goes down: $5 million/4.5/3/0. We could do that.

Not sure what other piece would have to go, but man getting Puljuarvi? There's your elite winger of the future. Probably could play this year. But next for sure. I hope we are a least kicking hard on that tire.

Edited by remkin

Just a slight feeling I have so I'm gonna throw it out there. I know nobody else agrees, but I would not be surprised at all for a "Jordan Staal' blockbuster trade soon.  Just saying man, I know we think everything is great since RF's statement, but ya never really know.

No Idea, haven't thought that far.  I do think it would be hard to talk another GM into his long term big contract.  He's good, ... but 45points per year average is not worth 6mil in most eyes.  I would expect to get a 50-60point player back for him because he's known to bring other skills to the table.  Just had a slight feeling something big is going to go down soon.  I can't imagine RF is gonna gamble on prospects becoming stars this season and Rasks and Linholms taking huge steps forward.  Gotta be some insurance that we are going to be good next year.  If there is any doubt in J's mind about playing here than I'd be shopping him hard trying to get something really nice back.

I would suggest that this actually is the year for a bigger move. I am not suggesting it will happen...

Given RF's direct reference to July 1, it could. Stating the obvious, it's going to come down to who is available and for how much, whether we're talking about free agency or trade. I do think RF would go more than five years for the right guy, but also that - let's just say it's Okposo - any NTC expires (or at least modifies) after the fifth year. Ronnie's too smart not to learn from what he's just been through. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

No Idea, haven't thought that far.  I do think it would be hard to talk another GM into his long term big contract.  He's good, ... but 45points per year average is not worth 6mil in most eyes. 

I think anybody looking at two-way play would say Jordan's priced exactly right, and - if he can keep the pace he achieved in the second half - he's a bargain by about $1.5 million.

I agree Top, but only a half season of performing like that in the last few years could scare some off.   Either way that situation goes I would be happy.  If he stays and continues to perform like that than we are good, If he goes and we are completely rid of the Staal era and move on with 3-4 new faces in our top 6 than that's exciting too. A brand new team with a brand new captain and new star would be nice.

Edited by danimal-ch1

No Idea, haven't thought that far.  I do think it would be hard to talk another GM into his long term big contract.  He's good, ... but 45points per year average is not worth 6mil in most eyes.  I would expect to get a 50-60point player back for him because he's known to bring other skills to the table.  Just had a slight feeling something big is going to go down soon.  I can't imagine RF is gonna gamble on prospects becoming stars this season and Rasks and Linholms taking huge steps forward.  Gotta be some insurance that we are going to be good next year.  If there is any doubt in J's mind about playing here than I'd be shopping him hard trying to get something really nice back.

We're pretty full up on barnyard animals, but the guy who traded for Jordan and signed him to that contract in the first place would likely give up Pittsburgh's entire farm for him, i would expect, and then probably give him an extension.  But we need someone for now, and i don't know who he would realistically give up who would help now.

Not sure i see a JS trade, but RF's quite adept at doing things none of us saw coming.

I hope like you-know-what that Franchise has learned from JR's miscues on trades from 2010-2014...because I can't stand to see anymore trades that involve us giving up decent players/prospects for bags of pucks!

RF has already come out and said he's still looking to acquire another top 6 talent.  Other media outlets have recently said RF's is still sniffing around the league for a top 6 forward.  In addition, there have been media outlets that suggest RF is going to go after Okposo.

To me, it's a huge mistake for RF to sign lesser forwards.  That's pulling a JR.  Percell and Hudler type guys aren't much of an upgrade over TT, and in the end it's only going to take up cap space and eventually prevent us from signing all our young talent and going after legit top forward.

It could be argued that you can get a top 6 forward for around $4m per, which is what Wiz's AAV is for his time in Carolina.  I'd love to see us Okposo, or another top 3 forward, but I wonder if RF will pay full retail in order to do so? My sense is that he's a value shopper (and a darn good one so far).  But I wonder what he'll do if it comes down to a true hockey trade (equal benefit to both sides)?