The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

So the schedule just came out...

We can all 'break down' the schedule to the 10th power but bottom line? Win. Get in the playoffs this season or be total chumps for missing them for the 8th straight season. The Hurricanes excuse bag is officially empty. Ronnie and Bill have had their grace period. Each player no matter their name must earn their minutes or take a seat in the press box until they rediscover their will to compete and win.

I couldn't agree more, J is worth every penny he is being paid. Other GMs know that too. Anything is possible in the RF world but remember in RF words any deal would have to make sense.

For me the return would have to be fairly epic to move Jordan right now.

I keep looking at Edmonton and Columbus with their juicy and extra juicy picks and wonder..(not about Jordan, who I think is going nowhere) but if we can get their picks.

Edited by remkin

Just a slight feeling I have so I'm gonna throw it out there. I know nobody else agrees, but I would not be surprised at all for a "Jordan Staal' blockbuster trade soon.  Just saying man, I know we think everything is great since RF's statement, but ya never really know.

Conspiracy theorists...  who is missing from this photo, prominently displayed on the Canes site?

I typically view this announcement as the "Face of the Franchise" for this season's marketing.

Not stirring the pot, but yeah, I am stirring the pot.  You get a few tells and then you determine what you think the down cards are.

skinnoah.jpg

Gotta say, I think Jordan's worth every bit of that contract, that is, if your not blinded by point totals only and consider all the other things he brings.

I couldn't agree more, J is worth every penny he is being paid. Other GMs know that too. Anything is possible in the RF world but remember in RF words any deal would have to make sense.

Me three.

He isn't a supermodel, but damn, he cooks like nobody's business and keeps a spotless house. It's hard to put a price tag on that. All joking aside, I think if Francis put a "for sale" sign on his neck, there would be more than a few GM's ready to bite on that contract.

Conspiracy theorists...  who is missing from this photo, prominently displayed on the Canes site?

I typically view this announcement as the "Face of the Franchise" for this season's marketing.

Not stirring the pot, but yeah, I am stirring the pot.  You get a few tells and then you determine what you think the down cards are.

skinnoah.jpg

Ahhh, good catch, I didn't even notice that there is no J. Staal pics on any advertising right now. Skinner,hannifin,Faulk on there. That might speak a bunch about whats going on behind the scenes. I'm sure the GM has a say in what pics will be used on promos and website covers. Or maybe its just pre cautionary in case it doesn't work out. Guess we'll find out really soon.

Edited by danimal-ch1

Ahhh, good catch, I didn't even notice that there is no J. Staal pics on any advertising right now. Skinner,Rask,Faulk on there. That might speak a bunch about whats going on behind the scenes. I'm sure the GM has a say in what pics will be used on promos and website covers. Or maybe its just pre cautionary in case it doesn't work out. Guess we'll find out really soon.

Yes it doesn't necessarily mean the guy is going to be traded, but it could mean he might be traded.  Easier to promote the guys you know you will keep for now. 

No way, no how that poster extrapolates to JS being traded. I believe the context of that poster is to emphasize the budding youth to generate enthusiasm. Jordan Staal is worth way more than his Point Total, and 29 other GMs likely agree.

Here is my prediction: we make a move, but Jordan Staal is not part of it.

Jordan would have to want out too, because of the NTC. I know that there was some consternation about trading Eric, but Francis has said Jordan is over it.

The function of Nest/J/Nord as an effective line, opens up a lot of possibilities and makes us better sooner.

I would argue that we just need to find one more center, and with Aho and TT, we are set. But if we trade Jordan, it only makes sense if he brings back a good center. But he is a good center....just don't see it.

I agree Top, but only a half season of performing like that in the last few years could scare some off.   Either way that situation goes I would be happy.  If he stays and continues to perform like that than we are good, If he goes and we are completely rid of the Staal era and move on with 3-4 new faces in our top 6 than that's exciting too. A brand new team with a brand new captain and new star would be nice.

I'm hoping for a whole roster of stars, and not a "superstar" in the bunch. Guys who can adapt to any style of play, find the opposition's weaknesses and hammer them on those weaknesses. We just can't do the locked-in, long-term-deal-for-big-bucks thing. Tying our hands that way, especially after what we've just lived through when those kinds of deals go bad, would be foolhardy. Even if we could absorb that kind of situation, we shouldn't want to expose ourselves to the possibility.

The speed of the game today means skating ability is number one, with puck handling and shooting (together) a close second. Skating ability declines after 30 but for the rarest exceptions. Gone are the days where one guy makes or breaks your roster and dominates into his mid 30s, and I think we're building in a way that's tailored to that new reality.

Speaking of Taylor...

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'm hoping for a whole roster of stars, and not a "superstar" in the bunch. Guys who can adapt to any style of play, find the opposition's weaknesses and hammer them on those weaknesses. We just can't do the locked-in, long-term-deal-for-big-bucks thing. Tying our hands that way, especially after what we've just lived thorough when those kinds of deals go bad, would be foolhardy. Even if we could absorb that kind of situation, we shouldn't want to expose ourselves to the possibility.

The speed of the game today means skating ability is number one, with puck handling and shooting (together) a close second. Skating ability declines after 30 but for the rarest exceptions. Gone are the days where one guy makes or breaks your roster and dominates into his mid 30s, and I think we're building in a way that's tailored to that new reality.

I approve this ad. 

ESPN did a logo makeover for every team if it relocated to Vegas.  Here's the Canes:

carolina.png

Among my favorites: they turned the Bruins logo into a poker chip.  And they turned the Devil's tail into one of those "Live Show" neon sign arrows you see at strip clubs, lol.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16044186/nhl-national-hockey-league-team-logos-redesigned-las-vegas

Edited by LakeLivin

Salary cap is $73m

Cap floor is $54m

We are currently at ~$47.1m (including Aho - not including Ryan/Saarela)

After signing Rask and Murphy we will be about $2m-3m below the cap floor.

So, we could offer Okposo $6.75m over 6 years and only be at ~$59m. That's a good chunk of money but I'd do it.

Skinner - Rask - Okposo
Nordstrom - Staal - Nestrasil
Aho - Teuvo - Lindholm
Bickell - McClement - Di Giuseppe

Hainsey - Faulk
Hanifin - Wisniewski
Slavin - Pesce
Murphy

Ward
Lack

That team with about $14m-15m remaining is solid.

We have two 1st rounders in the draft to keep stocking up on prospects.

And we still have flexibility to ultimately upgrade at goaltender which is obviously the biggest weak spot.

(But we won't sign Okposo so I shouldn't get my hopes up).
Edited by TheFaulker

No way, no how that poster extrapolates to JS being traded. I believe the context of that poster is to emphasize the budding youth to generate enthusiasm. Jordan Staal is worth way more than his Point Total, and 29 other GMs likely agree.

Skinner budding youth? He and Jordan about the same age. Eric was not used on anything after the beginning of the season last year and he was our star captain. It doesn't mean anything definite, but I believe it at least says "we are uncertain if Jordan is going to be the face of this team next year so lets just put the few guys we know will be here on posters". If J. was all over the posters it would mean there was no chance he was being traded. I'm not saying I fully believe it will happen but I would not be surprised one bit if it does, and definitely wouldn't go as far as as saying "there is no way, no how that poster extrapolates to JS being traded". All speculation and opinions though, still fun to debate it for now.

Skinner budding youth? He and Jordan about the same age. Eric was not used on anything after the beginning of the season last year and he was our star captain. It doesn't mean anything definite, but I believe it at least says "we are uncertain if Jordan is going to be the face of this team next year so lets just put the few guys we know will be here on posters". If J. was all over the posters it would mean there was no chance he was being traded. I'm not saying I fully believe it will happen but I would not be surprised one bit if it does, and definitely wouldn't go as far as as saying "there is no way, no how that poster extrapolates to JS being traded". All speculation and opinions though, still fun to debate it for now.

Eric wasn't used because he was in the last year of his deal, and was very likely to be moved at the TD. Jordan is in what, by all metrics, are his prime years, and is under contract for five more years with an NTC. (Also, just FYI, Skinner is 3-1/2 years younger.)

I think the piece is targeted mainly at former and yet-to-re-up season ticket holders who consult the new schedule to see what games they'd pick. "Tickets start at $16" is prominent, and my guess is that the players featured have more to do with the impending draft than any kind of potential move. They're two of our best picks. 

Wait... Faulk is one of our best picks too--and he's not featured, either!  :omg:

Edited by top-shelf-1

ESPN did a logo makeover for every team if it relocated to Vegas.  Here's the Canes:

carolina.png

Among my favorites: they turned the Bruins logo into a poker chip.  And they turned the Devil's tail into one of those "Live Show" neon sign arrows you see at strip clubs, lol.

Excellent!

Thanks top, for clarifying some of the points I was attempting to make about the preseason poster. I guess that withdrawal from postseason play for seven years can sharpen one's senses to innuendo, but to me, searching for hidden meanings in words, photos or what have you, is like reading tea leaves. Coincidence could make one seem like a guru, and Staal may be grumbling behind the scenes, but I just don't see how a responsible GM could trade out an important element on his team, thus creating another GAPING hole in his already thin lineup?

carolina.png

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16044186/nhl-national-hockey-league-team-logos-redesigned-las-vegas

The whole thing was kind of hit-and-miss. The Hurricanes' one is good, the Bruins-logo-as-poker-chip is decent. The Red Wings' winged roulette wheel was kinda lame, as were some that would be hard to incorporate a "Vegas touch" into, like the Wild or the Predators.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/2016-nhl-free-agency-the-top-players-to-sign-and-the-ones-to-avoid

Interesting brief summary of the top UFA's, and categorizes them.

Basically, it comes down to the best picks being Okposo or Eriksson. (Stamkos is favored as a one time rare chance to pick up a franchise center who is only 26 years old, so yeah, but he's coming to Raleigh? Hard to see from either end really).

There are definitely some warning flags on both Okposo and Erikkson: Okposo: will he perform without Tavares, and his style likely leads to some decrease in production with age, Erikkson: was trailing off before one good year last year, and age.

But there are much brighter flags for overpayment on:

Lucic, Backes, Ladd, and Brouwer. Good players, but high risk to end up being bad contracts. Combination of getting overpaid/termed and trailing production as time goes on.

Buyer Beware Red Flags on Boedker, and one Eric Staal.

Personally I make a run at Stamkos for the fun of it, then try to get Okposo or Erikkson. Maybe at least kick the tires on Ladd, but for the love of all that's good and just, do not even glance at E. Staal.

Edited by remkin

The whole thing was kind of hit-and-miss. The Hurricanes' one is good, the Bruins-logo-as-poker-chip is decent. The Red Wings' winged roulette wheel was kinda lame, as were some that would be hard to incorporate a "Vegas touch" into, like the Wild or the Predators.

The Black Hawks one that substitutes a showgirl feathered headdress for the Indian Chieftain one borders on the sacrilegious, but it's pretty funny.  Turning the Panther's logo into a Siegfried & Roy type cat jumping through a hoop was one of the more cleaver ones imo. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Glad someone said what the Panthers one was, I had no idea what they were getting at.

I liked the Bluejackets one throwing dice.