The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Luke, Adam, Brian are chatting about something.

M.M. was just in Vegas.

I know nothing, but the disjoint tweet conversation among the those three is weird.

Bummer.  I've nearly stopped listening to the morning show because it seemed like they limited Mike's hockey talk to zero.  Lauren is OK, but she's not a hockey person.  Just like Mark before her wasn't.

Clearly, management was throttling him.  I noticed, and I tuned out.  Probably why I missed the announcement this morning.

Media contracts tend to clump over the summer.  Don't be surprised if Mike doesn't pop up in Vegas.  Seriously.  After a non-compete period, inserting him, say, year end will align perfectly with the growing look to hockey there.  Vegas will need someone like him.  It won't just start October 2017, they'll have a lot to report on before.

Well, that's about the crappiest thing sports radio could do. Adam Gold and Joe Ovies are about the biggest joke in the afternoon that I've ever heard. Neither has a clue about hockey, or anything else. Mike was tremendous on The Aftermath which I faithfully tuned in to on the way back home after every game. That ESPN channel fades tremendously as I approach home, but now, who cares. Hope MM pops back up here, and certainly pray he's not off to Vegas.

He and John Forsland always seemed to have a genuine close relationship, I wonder how that will change?

Edited by KJUNKANE

I hate to see anyone lose their job, but I wasn't a fan. I hope he lands on his feet.

I'm less worried about Mike M., and more worried about the way our media treats hockey in this market.  Mike will land somewhere.  And I wouldn't be surprised if it is Vegas.

Taylor Zharzour REALLY irked me back in '05 during the lockout.  He had a startup sports radio station going on, and he belittled hockey and our market so bad, it was disgraceful.  Glad he has his gig on XM, but good riddance from here.

The Mark Roberts experiment was, uh, a disaster.  And Mark Thomas didn't care about hockey.

Between WRAL/CBC and Curtiss, we are heading for no-mans-land.

Edited by wxray1

OK, more news here.  Adam Gold will "cover" hockey.   That's it, I'm done.  Adam Gold and Joe O. are ... I better stop now and calm down.  I won't be listening to Adam.   If I consume the game, it will be Chuck K. only.  No before or after.  

I'm done with sports radio in this market.  I got hooked on sports media after 9/11 in order to clear my mind of issues of the day.  Instead, all these shows are increasingly getting political.  Adam is at the top of my list in that arena.  And Sports Shop is not my demographic.  Good for those guys, but not my cup of tea. 

I'm done.  Thank goodness for XM.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/sports-shop-moves-to-buzz-morning-drive/15801103/

OK, more news here.  Adam Gold will "cover" hockey.   That's it, I'm done.  Adam Gold and Joe O. are ... I better stop now and calm down.  I won't be listening to Adam.

Unbunch your panties. It says "interim" on Gold.

I tried to give him a chance but I can't tell if I didn't like him or just can't stand most "talk radio" types. I felt he had to always be right even if he was arguing with a fan.

Meh...

The best thing about Mike for me is he seemed to really be an enthusiastic hockey fan and really cared about the Canes beyond the job.  We need more of that not less.  This does leave a void that is concerning.

I admit I don't listen to Adam Gold. I go out of my way not to by having XM.  That and his show isn't on in Edenton.   B)

I called in to his show one time during the 08 run and my buddy was loading a 4-wheeler on a trailer.  He complained about the noise and asked what was going on.  When I told him we we leaving a hunting camp he went off on me.  I got 2 good whacks back at him before I got cut off.  Then he spent a good 5 minutes after that cutting me down for shooting a dadgum deer when I was off the air.

Anyway, like I said, Mike was mostly tolerable half the time and I'll give him credit with putting up with some of the morons who called into the Aftermath.

And BD, in the role he was asked to fill, he did have to be somewhat of a homer, but that's why they always brought in Forslund to balance him out, which was good, regardless of whether you cared for Mike or not.

Personally, I thank him for his time and hope we find somebody that's at least a better option than Adam Gold and his flunkies or one of those fill-in guys we would get from time to time who made Chantel look like she could win a Peabody award.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The best thing about Mike for me is he seemed to really be an enthusiastic hockey fan and really cared about the Canes beyond the job.  We need more of that not less.  This does leave a void that is concerning.

I admit I don't listen to Adam Gold. I go out of my way not to by having XM.  That and his show isn't on in Edenton.   B)

I called in to his show one time during the 08 run and my buddy was loading a 4-wheeler on a trailer.  He complained about the noise and asked what was going on.  When I told him we we leaving a hunting camp he went off on me.  I got 2 good whacks back at him before I got cut off.  Then he spent a good 5 minutes after that cutting me down for shooting a deer when I was off the air.

Anyway, like I said, Mike was mostly tolerable half the time and I'll give him credit with putting up with some of the morons who called into the Aftermath.

Right.  Like him or not, we've lost a public advocate for hockey.  This market now has very little media presence out there lifting up the team.  This matters for the team's success.  Yes it does.

As for Gold and his politics... Well, CBC/WRAL have become very editorial, pushing their agenda in all their media and sports (Bulls) properties.  I got to sports to get away from it, not get preached at.  Gold fits right into their mold. 

Now I'm off to unwad my panties.

Edited by wxray1

MM did tend to drone and repeat at times, but I agree, he was genuinely interested in hockey, and had a decent knowledge of the game. I don't have a deep feeling about it, but given the hit or miss nature of some of these more peripheral positions, I would guess his replacement is as likely to be worse as better.

I'd rather pick a goalie in the third than have anything to do with Edmonton's rejects or trade bait.  There is a limit to the land of misfit toys.

Stick with the plan GMRF.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Right. Like him or not, we've lost a public advocate for hockey. This market now has very little media presence out there lifting up the team. This matters for the team's success. Yes it does.

As for Gold and his politics... Well, CBC/WRAL have become very editorial, pushing their agenda in all their media and sports (Bulls) properties. I got to sports to get away from it, not get preached at. Gold fits right into their mold.

Adam gold is awful. I will not be able to listen to so called coverage by him. He doesn't know hockey and does not like hockey. One time some poor old man came on his show and thought he was promoting his book about enforcers. Gold proceeded to light the guy up about fighting in hockey really attacked he guy and hockey. It was embarrassing I can't figure how that guy is still on he air here except isis unable to move on to better opps like all the other people that were better. It might behoove the canes to get someone good that actually likes hockey This sucks. Gold is not good at hockey. Bad news. Edited by caryhurricanes

Right.  Like him or not, we've lost a public advocate for hockey.  This market now has very little media presence out there lifting up the team.  This matters for the team's success.  Yes it does.

As for Gold and his politics... Well, CBC/WRAL have become very editorial, pushing their agenda in all their media and sports (Bulls) properties.  I got to sports to get away from it, not get preached at.  Gold fits right into their mold. 

I remember on draft lottery night in April, the Wral sports news girl announced as her last topic of the 6oclock sports news that "tonight is the NHL draft, tune in to see who the Canes pick".  Definite face palm moment.

Morning danimal, glad to see someone sharing the site with me this early in am. You and several others are so correct in your angst at local media broadcast, or lack thereof, of all things HOCKEY. How many on here have been totally disgusted lately by the very obvious deluge of the coverage heaped on the NBA on 99.9? I simply can't stand the sport, because, in my mind, it is the antithesis of SPORT. Thus when I read an editorial like I did the other day, implying that hockey needs to adopt more of the methods the NBA uses, I want to throw my hands up and scream.

At any rate, can't wait for the draft tonight.

So apparently Yakapov can be had for a third round pick.

Not a fan, but might he'd be worth a shot for that. Talk about cheap. A #1 overall pick.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nail-yakupov-s-trade-value-is-at-bargain-basement-levels-164338367.html

I'd rather pick a goalie in the third than have anything to do with Edmonton's rejects or trade bait.  There is a limit to the land of misfit toys.

Stick with the plan GMRF.

I don't know, man.  Yakupov hasn't lived up to his $2.5M salary, but he only has a year left on his contract.  I actually wouldn't be opposed to a gamble under the circumstances.  He's a RW who looked pretty darned good in the OHL and who ended up on a team whose success has been considerably less than the sum of its parts for a decade now - could be the system isn't helping him at all.  If he could buy into RF & BPs program, it could possibly be a steal of a deal.  I mean we have 3 thirds... he could certainly prove to be a better option than many of the players available in those slots.