The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

A TSA guy just told me that he spoke with RF the other day and he was on his way to Buffalo solo. The guy asked about acquiring Fleury. RF replied with: "No, he is way too soft." True story unless the TSA was lying to me.

I don't know, man.  Yakupov hasn't lived up to his $2.5M salary, but he only has a year left on his contract.  I actually wouldn't be opposed to a gamble under the circumstances.  He's a RW who looked pretty darned good in the OHL and who ended up on a team whose success has been considerably less than the sum of its parts for a decade now - could be the system isn't helping him at all.  If he could buy into RF & BPs program, it could possibly be a steal of a deal.  I mean we have 3 thirds... he could certainly prove to be a better option than many of the players available in those slots.

Maybe.  But it might mean we end up paying 2 lazy underperforming Russian wingers.(Thanks a lot, Sasha! :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: )

Maybe.  But it might mean we end up paying 2 lazy underperforming Russian wingers.(Thanks a lot, Sasha!

Agreed, but Yakupov makes nowhere close to what Sasha makes, plus it's only for a year - not like we'd be be handcuffed or paying a buyout stipend for 5 years if he doesn't work out.  Dudeman might not be the answer anyway, but even this year, with his lowest point totals yet, he had the same number of points as Nestrasil (played 5 more games, mind).  I just wonder if it's the system that's getting him and a change of scenery would make a difference.  But yeah, i'm also fully aware of how often changes in scenery truly make a difference.  So yeah...

Yeah, just throwing it out there. I don't have any kind of wish for Yakapov, but what a fall from grace. The rare #1 overall miss..

But a third rounder? I know, I know, Pesce, but on average only 12% of all guys taken after the second round (combined) have any kind of impact on the NHL. And, as realm points out, we have 3 third rounders, including two in a row.

This guy was #1 overall pick. We have cap space. If he can't even crack our third line, just waive him.

Those would be the arguments. In the end, I probably pass on him too though. I know the stat is vague, but he is already -88 in his young career. How to use this stat on a team that was hugely negative as a group? Relative ranking over time. The last three years, he has been at the bottom of the team in plus/minus. 2/3 he was dead last.

This means to me that a guy who is cherry picking and cheating and playing the "wrong" way, still can only marginally produce points. Too many bad habits to unlearn.

Pass.

Edited by remkin

Morning danimal, glad to see someone sharing the site with me this early in am. You and several others are so correct in your angst at local media broadcast, or lack thereof, of all things HOCKEY. How many on here have been totally disgusted lately by the very obvious deluge of the coverage heaped on the NBA on 99.9? I simply can't stand the sport, because, in my mind, it is the antithesis of SPORT. Thus when I read an editorial like I did the other day, implying that hockey needs to adopt more of the methods the NBA uses, I want to throw my hands up and scream.

At any rate, can't wait for the draft tonight.

Yeah, my favorite is when I hear certain bars in the area advertise that they are the " #1 place to watch Hurricanes hockey", than I get there and nothing but football and basket ball on. When I ask them to put it on everyone looks at me like I'm a pain in the butt crazy guy. I hate that, it's our only major league team in central NC and the bars got Nebraska football and florida basketball on instead. Of course this all changes when we make the playoffs, then suddenly everyone supports the Canes. Lol, better that than nothing I guess.

Draft Day!

I'd take Yak. For a third rounder next year, which I know wouldn't get him. The thing about Yakupov is he has been stuck with Edmonton his whole professional career. Seguin struggled, although not as much as Yakupov, before his trade to Dallas where his potential became reality. So Yakupov somewhat quickly improving in a new system is not impossible. Not likely, but not impossible. Also wirth noting we really don't know what it's like behind the scenes in Edmonton.

So apparently Yakapov can be had for a third round pick.

Not a fan, but might he'd be worth a shot for that. Talk about cheap. A #1 overall pick.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nail-yakupov-s-trade-value-is-at-bargain-basement-levels-164338367.html

If there is any validity that he could be had for a 3rd rd pick, I'd give it a shot. It's not like we are loaded at the RW. He has a quick left hand shot and isn't afraid of going into the paint. He's far away from his prime at 22, perhaps a change in locations could revitalize his game. One of the negatives that I have read is that he sees himself as one style of player......Sasha vs 2.0?

Another lazy Russian? No thanks! Change of scenery can help get hos game back on track? When did he ever have a great season?

Edited by bluedevil58

Wasn't Adam Gold on 850 the buzz before 99.9 took over Canes broadcasting?

Yes he was. Even back before the Canes. He wasn't about it then, never has been, and still is not. I have no clue how or why he's been around as long as he has. His voice is as annoying as his personality is irritating. Never could stand the guy and it's hard to not wish bad things upon him.

He's the ESPN of triangle sports radio. I'm sure he'd rather cancel a Canes broadcast and talk about the spelling bee. There should almost be a hate thread for him...

Ya seriously gotta look at the Canes promotion dept though. Why cant they get local media on board after all these years!?

Edited by Whattausay

Work ethic was the slam on Yakupov right off the jump. I think everything points to us seeking a bona fide RW, and I only see us taking him if there is something more coming as well (cough Eberle cough cough). In which case I'd take him; with one year left on his deal, we'd find out real quick - and cheap - if he'll join Pastor Bill's Church of You're Only As Good As Your Last Shift or be condemned to eternal damnation in the KHL.

Edited by top-shelf-1

From TSN’s Ryan Rishaug:  

“The price on Yakupov, if and when he gets traded, and he’s not paired with something else, we’re talking a third-round pick right now. The value is just not there. I think they’re holding out, waiting and hoping, but that range of a low second-round pick or a third-round pick is what’s out there.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nail-yakupov-s-trade-value-is-at-bargain-basement-levels-164338367.html;_ylt=AwrBT_3jSG1XWnkAfCRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMm43aWFsBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE5MTBfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Just so you don't think I'm winging this one.

Edited by remkin

Ya seriously gotta look at the Canes promotion dept though. Why cant they get local media on board after all these years!?

Exactly.  Here was a chance to get the DRAFT (not lottery pick, LOL) into the sports news.

And what happens?  Capitol Broadcasting fires the guy who would talk about it the day before the event.  CBC is more concerned about getting a bunch of round ball fanatics in place before basketball season starts.  Hockey was never even on their radar.

This stuff matters, folks.  It hurts this market.  Those of you worried about a "canexit" should be concerned about events like this.

Edited by wxray1

The concern for me is that it could mark a shift in coverage by Capital Broadcasting for hockey in Raleigh. It is too early to tell. Without commenting on the pros or cons of Adam Gold he did post a niece piece on the web site today. It wasn't a barn burner and really didn't give anything new but instead appeared to be an introduction piece. But it was encouraging to see.

NBCsports

Per Swiss newspaper Le Matin, Nathan Gerbe is reportedly close to signing on with National League A side Geneve-Servette

The Swiss newspaper does point out that Gerbe is a free agent so it isn't a done deal yet

I would say Adam Gold knows more about hockey than people give him credit for. That said, the sports radio in this town devotes precious little to hockey.

Was there something else behind the MM firing? Was it a contract negotiation? Did he talk about using the wrong bathroom? Just seems odd, but what do I know.

rem, although Adam Gold might know "more than we give him credit for", he constantly comes off to me at least as a condescending *edit*!!He, coupled with Joe Ovies always launch into the most inane drivel on the drive in to our games, that if it weren't for the spot they give to Forslund prior to the game, I'd shut off 99.9.

Sorry for the deleted spot, but the word rear end will do as well.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Do you guys think we're done in the goalie market? There are a lot of names (Fleury, Bishop, Elliot and more) floating around in the rumor mill. I'd like to see Francis look into adding either a real #1 or an upgraded backup.

Agree BD58, please not Fleury!!! I've always thought of him as wimpish,  and he traditionally folds during playoffs. No, anyone but him.

On another front, I kinda am holding my breath, hoping that RF may make a play for Loui Ericksson or David Backes should the latter become available?

Edited by KJUNKANE

I would say Adam Gold knows more about hockey than people give him credit for. That said, the sports radio in this town devotes precious little to hockey.

Was there something else behind the MM firing? Was it a contract negotiation? Did he talk about using the wrong bathroom? Just seems odd, but what do I know.

The other possibility is that MM wants to do PBP, and was lobbying the LV group since it became obvious they're gonna get a team, his bosses got wind of it, and they shut him down here until he left.

As to how much time they devote to hockey, that's a "give the people what they want" thing. Here, that's football, basketball and NASCAR. Of course, if people's kids were playing hockey - which would be a lot more likely if PK went all in on it in this market - their listening preferences might change.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Agree BD58, please not Fleury!!! I've always thought of him as wimpish,  and he traditionally folds during playoffs. No, anyone but him.

Well, we have Ward who craps up the start of every season, so maybe Fleury keeps up in the mix until Ward decides it's time to show up...

I'm kidding, of course - don't want Fleury.  But still not bouncing off the walls at the prospect of another Ward/Lack season.