The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

The other possibility is that MM wants to do PBP, and was lobbying the LV group since it became obvious they're gonna get a team, his bosses got wind of it, and they shut him down here until he left.

I agree.  We won't know.  He was very open about going to Vegas.  A lot of people go to Vegas.  But you have to admit his timing was quite interesting.

I liked Mike whether it was driving home listening to him on the Afterbirth (loss) or Aftermath (win).  He didn't spend alot of time putting a shine on it if it was a bad performance.  He knows the game and spoke with knowledge.  Now he's gone...

Like I said in an earlier post I was up in Toronto a week ago and 3 pages of hockey news in the Toronto Star and Toronto Sun sports section.  I think its safe to say we're all die hard hockey fans but the reality is that we live in an embarrassingly weak, weak, weak hockey market.  If the Canes aren't in the middle of the pack by the end of next season by way of attendance then start wringing your hands again as the Quebec chatter picks up.  PK seems to be a bit of a loony at this point in his life; a wild card who might easily sell to an out-of-towner who moves the team.  With the exception of Jim Goodnight who is not a hockey fan, who else has deep enough pockets here to buy the team and stay?

:rofl:

I didn't say he was Chuck Kaiton. :P

Just that the bar was set pretty low for him on here.

I get the style thing, (brought up by others) but that's a different issue.

Anyway, I would not be happy w/ Gold being the main guy, but he does ok with the locker room interviews.

Edited by remkin

Do you guys think we're done in the goalie market? There are a lot of names (Fleury, Bishop, Elliot and more) floating around in the rumor mill. I'd like to see Francis look into adding either a real #1 or an upgraded backup.

I think I made the same comment in the goalie thread, but I think that the counter strategy to getting one of the best backups now through trade is to wait, wait wait towards the trade deadline, see who has emerged with 2/3 of next season over, and swoop in for an ultra cheap deal as the value of the 2nd goalies on teams approaches zero.

The best thing about Mike for me is he seemed to really be an enthusiastic hockey fan and really cared about the Canes beyond the job.  We need more of that not less.  This does leave a void that is concerning.

I admit I don't listen to Adam Gold. I go out of my way not to by having XM.  That and his show isn't on in Edenton.   B)

I called in to his show one time during the 08 run and my buddy was loading a 4-wheeler on a trailer.  He complained about the noise and asked what was going on.  When I told him we we leaving a hunting camp he went off on me.  I got 2 good whacks back at him before I got cut off.  Then he spent a good 5 minutes after that cutting me down for shooting a dadgum deer when I was off the air.

Anyway, like I said, Mike was mostly tolerable half the time and I'll give him credit with putting up with some of the morons who called into the Aftermath.

And BD, in the role he was asked to fill, he did have to be somewhat of a homer, but that's why they always brought in Forslund to balance him out, which was good, regardless of whether you cared for Mike or not.

Personally, I thank him for his time and hope we find somebody that's at least a better option than Adam Gold and his flunkies or one of those fill-in guys we would get from time to time who made Chantel look like she could win a Peabody award.

MM reminds me of good ole Chopper Harrison back in the day, except not as hyper about hockey. Chopper was a great ambassador to try and get hockey going in the early days.

MM reminds me of good ole Chopper Harrison back in the day, except not as hyper about hockey. Chopper was a great ambassador to try and get hockey going in the early days.

Forgot about Chopper...   :)

I think I made the same comment in the goalie thread, but I think that the counter strategy to getting one of the best backups now through trade is to wait, wait wait towards the trade deadline, see who has emerged with 2/3 of next season over, and swoop in for an ultra cheap deal as the value of the 2nd goalies on teams approaches zero.

Peters was just on XM. Didn't really give up much info, but did really seem to be on the Francis talking point that Ward is underrated. I really think we're going Ward/Lack. I'm not sure we could trade Lack with his current contract to be honest. We need him to up his stock a bit.

I liked Mike whether it was driving home listening to him on the Afterbirth (loss) or Aftermath (win).  He didn't spend alot of time putting a shine on it if it was a bad performance.  He knows the game and spoke with knowledge.  Now he's gone...

Like I said in an earlier post I was up in Toronto a week ago and 3 pages of hockey news in the Toronto Star and Toronto Sun sports section.  I think its safe to say we're all die hard hockey fans but the reality is that we live in an embarrassingly weak, weak, weak hockey market.  If the Canes aren't in the middle of the pack by the end of next season by way of attendance then start wringing your hands again as the Quebec chatter picks up.  PK seems to be a bit of a loony at this point in his life; a wild card who might easily sell to an out-of-towner who moves the team.  With the exception of Jim Goodnight who is not a hockey fan, who else has deep enough pockets here to buy the team and stay?

The bold is my biggest worry.  

Any of you who may follow business may be familiar with the Sumner Redstone saga (Viacom CEO) currently going on.  There's a trend out there of wealthy men who own businesses to not know when to let go, and then when they let go, it is done in very poor ways.  Signs of this happening usually involve fights with boards or partners, disaffection of family, and new wives 1/2 their age or younger.  That's a checklist I don't like right now.

Sorry to see MM go. He was the only sports talk radio guy who really cared about hockey, and it says a lot that 99.9 and Capital Broadcasting are the broadcast station for the Canes and don't have any on air talent who focus on hockey. Not a fan of Adam Gold. His focus is college BB and football followed by the Panthers. I think he and Ovies spend more time talking about the Hornets than the Canes.

One thing I disagree with that is showing up on the boards are the references to NASCAR. It definitely has a lot of fans in NC but they don't listen to talk radio and NASCAR is rarely mentioned on the local stations. Remember the ads on TV when the Canes first moved to Raleigh with Richard Petty and Keith Primeau? Don' t think they converted many hockey fans. Those fan bases are never going to intersect.

Looking at the defensive situation.  As far as players under contract or RFAs, i'm coming up with this.  Am i missing anyone here?

LHD -

Carrick

Chelios

Fleury

Hainsey

Hanifin

Jordan RFA

Lowe RFA

Robertson RFA

Slavin

RHD -

Biega RFA

Faulk

Ganly

McKeown

Murphy RFA

Pesce

Wesley

Wisniewski

All told this isn't quite as lopsided L vs R as i had in my head - nor as full.  I'd expect an RFA or two to be re-signed, but if they aren't, the org has 6 on each side.  Enough to fill Raleigh and Charlotte.  But someone breaks a leg 47 seconds into the season, no matter which side, there's a need for more, whether it's one of those RFAs or someone from the 'outside'.

Looking at it this way gives me a better understanding of the Bean pick yesterday.  Despite the thought that we're bursting at the seams with defense, particularly on the left, we really do need more on each side, and could stand actually an extra high-caliber LHD and high-caliber RHD right now - and preferably ones who would be upgrades over just re-signing Jordan and Murphy.  It also gives me a better idea why a trade with EDM didn't happen - anyone RF gave up, whether it be uber-prospect Fleury, the oft-maligned Murphy, or my favorite punching bag Faulk, leaves him with a strong need to finding another defenseman right now.

Yesterday makes a little more sense to me now..

Nice thoughts realm. It does make things go down a bit better.

I'm pretty sure Francis is going to use his cap space, and smarts, and maybe a D prospect to find a forward for this year.

I put it in the Draft thread, but as well laid out as your analysis is, I just think our "4 forwards" list was snatched and gone, and we went to the BPA. If nothing else this gives us the most stock as it were, for future moves.

If all of our highly touted D men develop to their fullest potential.

Bean, Hanifin, Fleury, Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, McKeown That is 7 top 4 defensemen. Then there's Murphy.

Nice problem to have, but the real problem is that if they all do, at some point there is no way to pay them all.

But that is really OK. Because it will take another 3 years minimum to really know what they will all bring, and Bean maybe even one more year. By having that many top flight D prospects, Francis can pick and choose the best, and move a couple of them for needs. We get a top NHL defense and fill needs up front or goal, down the line.

This was not plan A. Plan A was to move up or pick the 4 forwards we wanted. But this was Plan B, and it could end up working out fine.

Edited by remkin

Do you guys think we're done in the goalie market? There are a lot of names (Fleury, Bishop, Elliot and more) floating around in the rumor mill. I'd like to see Francis look into adding either a real #1 or an upgraded backup.

I guess RF believes in Ward/Lack and am pretty sure we are not getting a new goalie this summer. I recently watched replays of a couple of Lack's early season starts with us... Well, it was painful. I wish Lack could get back to how good he was before the trade. Why couldn't he get it that he is viewed as our potential #1 by some (or even many)? Of course I wouldn't say that he was provided with every opportunity to become the one last season... But... Maybe RF should tell him straight?  :D "Be the one! We are ready to rely on you!". In this case, we have signed Ward only to trade him later and not lose him for nothing. What do you guys think, would we trade him during the upcoming season and after? No matter how good or bad will he start (and I believe he will be the starting goalie, although I would give Lack a chance, maybe the start in the first 2 or 3 games).

Realm,

I see what you're getting at. I see Jordan, Beiga, and Lowe being re-signed. On top of that we add Bean to the mix and it's safe to say another Dman some where else in the draft. I believe we'll be more than ok with trading 1 defenseman this offseason.

OK, Francis made a very slick move to pick up TT.

Then signed Ward and played the draft straight up.

Now we need one more move: sign Okposo or Erikkson, etc, or make one more trade for a scoring forward.

I do wonder about Scott Hartnell. Columbus reportedly wants out of his contract, and he'd pretty well fit the bill.

6'2" and with grit, he has averaged 55 points the last two years. He's a veteran presence too.

Yes, he's 32, but we are buying him for 3 years, and his salary goes down each year.

He's a LW and we need RW, but otherwise he makes some sense.

Since they want out of his contract, we might be able to pry him loose for less than normal.  But I don't know what.

But having a veteran that we "overpay" though not by that much, for 3 years could be better than opening the check book for 5 years of an older UFA.

Edited by remkin

I've been searching through teams similar to EDM (heavy at FWD but few D prospects) and TOR caught my eye. They could really use a nice defensive prospect to bring up with some of their shiny new toys. They have a good amount of forwards and we could be fitting trade partners. 

How would you guys feel about a Haydn Fleury for Kasperi Kapanen trade? I'm sometimes bad at gauging value, but I think these guys are pretty close.

Agree BD58, please not Fleury!!! I've always thought of him as wimpish,  and he traditionally folds during playoffs. No, anyone but him.

On another front, I kinda am holding my breath, hoping that RF may make a play for Loui Ericksson or David Backes should the latter become available?

Just a feeling Ericksson may go to Tampa or LA.

Now we need one more move: sign Okposo or Erikkson, etc, or make one more trade for a scoring forward.

Louie wants 5yrs 6mil per, too rich for PK. KO's price will also start at around 6 mil and 5-6yrs. I don't think either fit into PK's purse.

PK just had 19 million in salary come off the books. Granted some of that is eaten by Bickell and the eventual re-signing of Rask.

Should have a nice chunk available for a UFA or a trade.

How would you guys feel about a Haydn Fleury for Kasperi Kapanen trade? I'm sometimes bad at gauging value, but I think these guys are pretty close.

I think he has to be worth more than Kapanen. From everything I've seen, Kapanen's development has stalled. I think he'd be closer in value to Murphy.

How about a trade with Colorado?

They have a bevy of young O talent.

Trade for the rights to RW Grigorenko and G Pikard

For

Lacko Taco and young roster dman or Lacko, McKeown, and a mid pick

Avalanche have a young RW Finn in Rantenan to replace Grigorenko. Avalanche move 2 RFAs and get a young dman.

How about a trade with Colorado?

They have a bevy of young O talent.

Trade for the rights to RW Grigorenko and G Pikard

For

Lacko Taco and young roster dman or Lacko, McKeown, and a mid pick

Avalanche have a young RW Finn in Rantenan to replace Grigorenko. Avalanche move 2 RFAs and get a young dman.

Well Pickard had good stats on a team that is a Corsi dumpster fire......