The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Saw an interesting trade proposal on Today's Slapshot:

Murphy for Yakopov straight up...

Long term Bean could be what Murphy was supposed to be, and Murphy is RH.

Sure Yakopov is a tough case in a guy who almost has to go to the AHL and re learn at least some semblance of a three zone game, but at this point, the former #1 overall pick might be worth taking a shot at. He'll probably never be a top line player, but if he can be re trained a bit in defense, he could be a really good third liner. And we're talking Murphy here, who himself might end up on the Boychuk track really soon.

He's only 22 and only played for one terrible organization.

I don't know, I'm just tossing this out there. I really don't like his -88 and even with that much cheating he's never put up more than 33 points, but the guy was a machine in juniors and maybe as a project?

Not really pushing this one, just wondering what people think.

Edited by remkin

I don't see what we gain with Yakupov based on the other moves we've made this off-season. Given the competition we're already going to see for wingers in the bottom six in camp, we need a bona fide top-six winger at this point, not a project. 

I'd rather keep Murphy and hope he can pick up where he left off before the injury last year--unless including him in a deal brings that bona fide RW here.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by top-shelf-1

I think I agree. Give Murphy one more chance...

I definitely agree we don't need another project. We need one more for real guy.

These discussions of Murphy make me like the Jake Bean pick even more.

I am assuming the Canes will qualify Murph - they have until 5 tomorrow to send in their list of RFA's they intend to extend offers to.

I really dont want to trade Fleury unless its the only way we can get an NHL proven 55pointer.  I like having so much talented D in the hole.  We have enough cap space, draft picks and other pieces to make good trades or FA signings for 55 pointers.  Keep Fleury, Hannifin, Slavin, Pesce, Bean and Faulk and the rest of the D prospects can go if it betters our offense. I know you have to give something up good to get something good but I feel RF has put himself in a position where he can keep the best and still make a deal with the second string of D prospects.  Smart man, setting us good for a bright future.

FOX Sports, NHL agree on in-market streaming

I haven't seen any details over cost, access etc but in a world that is turning away from cable it appears on the surface to be a good move.

Saw an interesting trade proposal on Today's Slapshot:

Murphy for Yakopov straight up...

Long term Bean could be what Murphy was supposed to be, and Murphy is RH.

Sure Yakopov is a tough case in a guy who almost has to go to the AHL and re learn at least some semblance of a three zone game, but at this point, the former #1 overall pick might be worth taking a shot at. He'll probably never be a top line player, but if he can be re trained a bit in defense, he could be a really good third liner. And we're talking Murphy here, who himself might end up on the Boychuk track really soon.

He's only 22 and only played for one terrible organization.

I don't know, I'm just tossing this out there. I really don't like his -88 and even with that much cheating he's never put up more than 33 points, but the guy was a machine in juniors and maybe as a project?

Not really pushing this one, just wondering what people think.

Never been a Murphy fan and never will. A straight up trade I would say yes in a heartbeat. 

I think I agree. Give Murphy one more chance...

I definitely agree we don't need another project. We need one more for real guy.

For me it's not even about one more chance. It's about the *ahem* project you know vs. the one you don't.

I do like signing Nash though. I know McClemment is signed and does a nice job, but Nash has some offensive upside. He could have a nice career as 4th line center too. I like him as a depth move. Terry? Not so much.

Edited by remkin

I do like signing Nash though. I know McClemment is signed and does a nice job, but Nash has some offensive upside. He could have a nice career as 4th line center too. I like him as a depth move. Terry? Not so much.

I agree with Nash over Terry and McClement.  I'd also put Terry over McClement, however - haven't been overly impressed with that guy.  McClement's the one that's signed for another year, though.

GM realm re-signs Nash as his 4th-line center, re-signs Terry to a 2-way and sends him to Charlotte, and trades McClement for table scraps...

I'd nix the Nash possibility. His only contribution was when he use to score lots of goals. Now he is just streaky with goals.  He would be like E Staal who would disappear for 8-10 game stretches then score a couple and go back into hiding.  Stick (for the most part) with the youth movement.  If I were bringing a veteran in it would have to do alot with the leadership that person brings. I would like to see us sign David Backes from St. Louis.  Does it all...and has some swagger.

I'd nix the Nash possibility. His only contribution was when he use to score lots of goals. Now he is just streaky with goals.  He would be like E Staal who would disappear for 8-10 game stretches then score a couple and go back into hiding.  Stick (for the most part) with the youth movement.  If I were bringing a veteran in it would have to do alot with the leadership that person brings. I would like to see us sign David Backes from St. Louis.  Does it all...and has some swagger.

I'm torn on Backes.. He would be great, but I'm worried about $ and years he would want...plus he's definitely not young

so, I see a lot of teams today have released their QO list for RFA, and who they are not going to give a QO. Anyone know when the Canes list will be out???

Edited by rocheccw

and these weren't

Forwards Zach Boychuk, Anthony Camara, Dane Fox, Carter Sandlak and Justin Shugg, defensemen Danny Biega, Michal Jordan and Rasmus Rissanen and goaltender Rasmus Tirronen were not tendered qualifying offers and will become unrestricted free agents on Friday, July 1. Rissanen signed a two-year contract with Jokerit of the KHL on May 2.

Canes Qualify Rask, Six Others

The Boychuk era is officially over, I think

And so the long (8 year) Boychuck Hurricane saga, finally comes to a merciful and quiet end.

Unless we sign him back as a free age......no, no, lets not think it. It is over.

Edited by remkin

Looking at the defensive situation.  As far as players under contract or RFAs, i'm coming up with this.  Am i missing anyone here?

LHD -

Carrick

Chelios

Fleury

Hainsey

Hanifin

Jordan RFA

Lowe RFA

Robertson RFA

Slavin

RHD -

Biega RFA

Faulk

Ganly

McKeown

Murphy RFA

Pesce

Wesley

Wisniewski

All told this isn't quite as lopsided L vs R as i had in my head - nor as full.  I'd expect an RFA or two to be re-signed, but if they aren't, the org has 6 on each side.  Enough to fill Raleigh and Charlotte.  But someone breaks a leg 47 seconds into the season, no matter which side, there's a need for more, whether it's one of those RFAs or someone from the 'outside'.

Looking at it this way gives me a better understanding of the Bean pick yesterday.  Despite the thought that we're bursting at the seams with defense, particularly on the left, we really do need more on each side, and could stand actually an extra high-caliber LHD and high-caliber RHD right now - and preferably ones who would be upgrades over just re-signing Jordan and Murphy.  It also gives me a better idea why a trade with EDM didn't happen - anyone RF gave up, whether it be uber-prospect Fleury, the oft-maligned Murphy, or my favorite punching bag Faulk, leaves him with a strong need to finding another defenseman right now.

Yesterday makes a little more sense to me now..

Updating my own list now that RFA qualifying has given me something to update...

LHD -

Carrick

Chelios

Fleury

Hainsey

Hanifin

Lowe RFA

Robertson RFA

Slavin

RHD -

Faulk

Ganly

McKeown

Murphy RFA

Pesce

Wesley

Wisniewski

8 LHDs, 7 RHDs.  No point being made here at this time, just throwing that out there.

Surprised we're (apparently) not signing Nash.

Whether we're letting him test the market to get the best price on a later re-up or just cutting the cord, that decision, and what feels to me like Tolchinsky being the new Gerbe, could be telling. Ryan at $600k NHL rather than Nash (last deal 1.15 mil) as our depth 4C saves us $500k. Tolchinsky saves another 1.4 million compared to Gerbs' last deal.

Okposo here we come?

Surprised we're (apparently) not signing Nash.

Whether we're letting him test the market to get the best price on a later re-up or just cutting the cord, that decision, and what feels to me like Tolchinsky being the new Gerbe, could be telling. Ryan at $600k NHL rather than Nash (last deal 1.15 mil) as our depth 4C saves us $500k. Tolchinsky saves another 1.4 million compared to Gerbs' last deal.

Okposo here we come?

Nash is a UFA. Still to be determined

Nash is a UFA. Still to be determined

I get that, so is Gerbs--but reading the release, I got the vibe that he's being turned loose. He should have been an easy re-sign by now if it was going to happen. He seemed to find a new level in the second half, and I'd like to keep him around.

Still, given the younger Cs in the system and Ryan's bargain price, turning him loose would make sense--if we're going all-in on an FA.

Edited by top-shelf-1