The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

My point is to trade McClement if possible, and sign Nash.

Nash > McClement makes us better. About 89% more productive from our 4th line center to be exact.

If you look at Nash as a 4th liner, his numbers are actually good.

The others from the collection of low priced veterans aren't an upgrade either, most of them are much older, while Nash is just peaking, and Nash knows the system.

The major upgrades need to be in the top 9. Minor upgrades on the 4th line are still upgrades.

Edited by remkin

Im a   Nash   guy.... always plays his position well, just need a  few more goals from him... He is gritty in the corners too..

I hope the Canes don't have to settle for Nash, recognizing he has value as others have outlined.  I still have faith there are more moves that push guys down in the lineup. After all, we are discussing Riley Nash while being below the cap floor, and will likely be right at the floor after signing Rask and adding in Aho's contract.

I also think RF has a vision for a fourth line, and we haven't seen it yet.

That's about it.  :pray:

Edited by coastal_caniac

Matt Cullen made $800,000 last season as the 4th line center.

If you saw how he played in the playoffs, wow.

That's what 4th line center money is.

If you go to Bleacher Report and look up winners and losers in this year draft, Hockey News gave the Hurricanes an A+.  Ronnie and his Staff are doing real good things for this team and I think we all agree he found a budding excellent coach to mold and polish the team. I think I saw only two teams with A+. Most others at B+ to C-. 

Releasing these UFA's is all part of Ronnies big picture.  If he wants to bring back Nash or Gerbe for example he knows where they will slot in plus spend time in the press box.  I also think we have finally got enough assets to trade for or under cap sign a solid 30-35 goals a year top 6 forward. Just my .02

Agree, but let's definitely not Settle For Anything Less Than 3 BobbleHead Nights.

y3hC6Z.jpg

The boy has his hoop, the girl her faceless doll.....

Edited by coastal_caniac

Waddell probably reads this board and will take this to heart, but get it wrong. We'll end up with "Hoop Night" and "Faceless Doll Night"...because we're Settlers.

We released Nash once and brought him back. I will say this. If we keep McClement, then I don't want Nash. We can find a winger for sure. I will also say this. If we release Nash and bring him back it will imply that we looked and couldn't do better. I will also say this, if we keep McClement, we are settlers.

But on one thing we can agree, we NEED bobbleheads!

Plus, people love those things. I can't remember a bobblehead night where there was a single bobblehead left over. So, at least get 10,000 people in there.

Edited by remkin

At least they need to do bobbleheads on nationally televised game nights. It would put some butts in seats and we wouldn't look all QC bound to the uneducated.

Morning tweets from Chip

Canes GM Ron Francis says he has had no contact with Eric Staal, indicating it is extremely unlikely Staal might return to Carolina

Francis, on Staal, says it would be "unfair to us and to him to bring him back and ask him to accept a different role than the one he had."

Francis says he continues to look for a top-six or top-nine forward, but did not want to discuss potential targets.

Francis noted Eric Staal was "a great player in our market for a long time." Ended comments on Staal by saying, "We wish him the best."

That should put an end to any Staal back to Hurricanes rumors

You guys are harsh. Nash has about the same stats as Nordy and Nesty. He can skate RW and Center 3rd or 4th line, plays PP and PK. He isn't going to set the world on fire but he does have his pluses.

I'm thinking RF wants to keep slots open and Nash is 27 so my guess is we won't sign him but I won't be surprised if we do. But really a dime a dozen player. Not everyone is a top 6 forward but you still need a bottom 9

Nash made $1,150,000 last season and I doubt he will sign for less

This is exactly right, and (IMO) exactly what is going on.

The sense in keeping Nash and moving McClement is obvious; Nash is 6 years younger and a Canes lifer. I think the notion that he's worth only the league minimum is overdone. We signed him to a one-year deal last summer because we thought he could fill a specific need. He went out and filled that role and then some, as OBX points out, with some very solid work on the wing.

My guess is Nash wants the same number he's making now or a bit more and, as a 27-year-old who has been here his whole professional career, feels he has also earned some term. That is not unreasonable, and I'm still hopeful we'll include McClement in a deal and be able to bring Riley back. 

EDIT: Our other FAs should all be toast, but to those who characterize rewarding a guy who's hung in, played the system, can play any forward position, and is 6 years younger than the guy now slotted at 4C as "settling" -- please explain.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Morning tweets from Chip

That should put an end to any Staal back to Hurricanes rumors

Hallelujah! and can I get an AMEN brothers and sisters!!??

mosque2-articleLarge.jpg

Edited by top-shelf-1

multiple available players > Nash > multiple available players > McClement > multiple available players

Nash is no Stamkos, but he's filled his role well and knows the system.  There are numerous guys i'd rather have than Nash, but i'd way rather have Nash than McClement.  But McClement is under contract , alas.

GM realm doesn't want to stick with the status quo, but he still signs Nash as his 4th-line center, signs Terry to a 2-way and sends him to Charlotte, and trades McClement for a box of Fruity Pebbles.  He uses his FA money to go out and find a 1st-line center, not waste it on a 4th-line center.  Nash is already an upgrade over McClement.  GM realm also loves Gerbe, but he lets him go along with Malone.

...though the possibility remains that Ryan has already been signed with the 4th-line center spot in mind.  He's an upgrade over McClement too, i think...

Edited by realmdrakkar

multiple available players > Nash > multiple available players > McClement > multiple available players

Nash is no Stamkos, but he's filled his role well and knows the system.  There are numerous guys i'd rather have than Nash, but i'd way rather have Nash than McClement.  But McClement is under contract , alas.

GM realm doesn't want to stick with the status quo, but he still signs Nash as his 4th-line center, signs Terry to a 2-way and sends him to Charlotte, and trades McClement for a box of Fruity Pebbles.  He uses his FA money to go out and find a 1st-line center, not waste it on a 4th-line center.  Nash is already an upgrade over McClement.  GM realm also loves Gerbe, but he lets him go along with Malone.

...though the possibility remains that Ryan has already been signed with the 4th-line center spot in mind.  He's an upgrade over McClement too, i think...

Terry should go to Europe, and we should buy him a ticket. But BP likes him, and in Bill we trust.

I think Ryan is the backup 4C and leader in CLT. I think it's between Nash and McClement for 4C, and that if McC can't be moved and Nash doesn't come back, McC is included in a TD deal and Ryan plays 4C the rest of the way.

But let's project that out, and assume we're making the playoffs this year. With McC not extended, how sensible is it to change up your 4C at the TD? Maybe you let McC play out the season and get no return after the playoffs - not that he'd bring much - but why wouldn't you instead lock in a younger 4C now for the next three years at the same price, and take whatever you can get for McC?

Dime a dozen or not, any "new" 4C will have to learn the system. Nash already knows it--and if RF is after a wing, the Cs we've now got are the Cs we've got to choose from.

I agree with Rem: If it's a choice between McC and Nash, McC is "settling." Going with Nash would be rewarding a guy who's worked hard and has the added benefit of multi-position versatility.

Edited by top-shelf-1

GM Dave would be fine signing Nash and trading McC. GM Dave gets that Nash is an upgrade. GM Dave also understands that he runs a budget team, and any money spent has to be given up from somewhere else. GM Dave may have tried to trade McC, and found no takers without giving away something. GM Dave saw GM JR give away assets to get rid of money on the books. GM Dave doesn't like that approach. GM Dave knows that he can't afford to send McC to Charlotte and just "eat it". GM Dave probably tries to trade McC up to the point that Nash signs with somebody, and if that happens, GM Dave realizes that he can't have everything.

GM Dave doesn't like people that refer to themselves in the 3rd person. GM Dave hates that. (sarcasm alert)

Edited by super_dave_1

McC is signed through 2017. We could move him but his possession numbers and face off are pretty good. Still as pointed out if you need to improve your team you have to make choices.

We really need a to improve our top 6 so not sure Nash or McC factor in unless McC would be part of a trade that brings that asset to you.

The difference between Nash and McClement is McC is under contract, and probably overpaid if you try and trade him.  Nash isn't.  I like Nash better, but it is what it is.

Maybe I was a bit harsh about saying Nash is league minimum, but the basic point is there are a lot of players who will work really hard to stay on an NHL team for around the league minimum.  Derek Ryan is a prime example.  If I can save $ to distribute more among my top 9 I do that.

Yeah the question sort of might end up being McClement's trade value. For GM Remkin, I'd take a 5th rounder just to move on. McClement is a perfectly nice 4th line center in terms of possession and faceoffs, but faceoffs are one of the most over-rated stats in hockey, and possessing the puck has only taken us so far. Someone has to put the dang thing in the net. Even marginal gains on the 4th line matter more and more these days.

GM Remkin is glad that all of the other GM's are focused enough to care about marginal improvements on the 4th line. He is also increasingly sorry to have started this third person stuff...

McClement's drop off in production from the previous season to this past one was big (almost 50%).  If I'm GM and I think the 33yo McClement fell off an age related cliff instead of some other factor (and I'm intent on still acquiring another forward or 2), I've got to think about trading him or buying out the last year of his contract.  Buying him out saves $733k this year and costs us $367k next season.  McClement seems like a great team guy which makes it a tough decision, but that's what a GM is paid to do.

(the buyout period ends tomorrow)   

Edited by LakeLivin

I've got to think about trading him or buying out the last year of his contract.  Buying him out saves $733k this year and costs us $367k next season.

He's of more value as a 13th forward (GM Dave thinks) if that is the option.