The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Better than buying out McC to save 375k, I think.

It's not to save $.  It's simply because I think the Canes would be a better team with Nash as the 13th forward than with McClement.  Think about it from a flexibility perspective if, say, one of our right wings went down.

It's not to save $.  It's simply because I think the Canes would be a better team with Nash as the 13th forward than with McClement.  Think about it from a flexibility perspective if, say, one of our right wings went down.

Then waive McC and send him to Charlotte if he clears.

Then waive McC and send him to Charlotte if he clears.

Yeah, I should have included that as an option.  Of course, moving McClement is only necessitated if RF is going to bring in another forward or two. 

Edited by LakeLivin

GM Coastal would come in and fire all of you post haste, except the VP of Bobbleheads.  No room for Settlers in this organ-eye-zation.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Ah yes, I see that.  GM Coastal finds a place for ex-GM Dave on his staff.  You can't have to many NTWA certified thread winners for guidance.  The rest of you are fired.  Gary, now about those new bobbleheads.........

No one is more of a Gerbs fan than myself.. however Im tired of players who hit the pipes, almost score or are one skate shy of making a play... Time to say good-bye to the Terry's. Nashies..Gerbers..Malonas and so forth, great guys with big hearts but imo up-grades in all positions is the plan

(the buyout period ends tomorrow)   

And one would get us closer to the floor, and a (did GM Top mention?) SIX YEARS YOUNGER GUY WHO CAN ALSO PLAY WING.

Oops, sorry. GM Top did mention that, didn't he? But GM Top must take his leave. GM Top needs to help Jimmy, because... 

JIMMY'S DOWN!!

93db0d9743f8e6e1d97835cdd39184d1.jpg

Francis adds full time wizard to the scouting staff.

Johnston Retires; Whitney Added as Pro Scout By Terrell Williams

“Ray has done terrific work for us as a part-time scout, earning this position as a full-time scout. He had a terrific playing career that included a Stanley Cup in Carolina, and his knowledge of the game and our league is an asset to the organization.”

I Don't think this is what Peters meant when he said he was going to watch RF do his magic but whatever works!

Francis adds full time wizard to the scouting staff.

Johnston Retires; Whitney Added as Pro Scout By Terrell Williams

I Don't think this is what Peters meant when he said he was going to watch RF do his magic but whatever works!

In honesty i'm more upset about Johnston leaving than Whitney signing on full-time.  There have been a couple flubs to be sure (Paradis anyone?), but for the most part our scouting has been in good hands over the past 11 years.  Any word on who takes his spot as director?

Adding my 2 cents on the McClement/Nash debate:

I agree Nash is the better player, however, this team is going to be one of if not the youngest team next season. You have to have some vets sprinkled in to help the young ones. With that said, McClement plays that role far better than Nash. Yes we still have JStaal, Hainsey, and Wiz as vets, but it can't hurt to have McClement's presence in the locker room.

You have to have that balance between young and experience. With McClement already signed, it's actually a pretty easy decision on who you keep. They aren't going to buy him out, and trading him now, would be pointless. The deadline would be a better trade time if we are out of the playoffs. 

The other thing we need to think about is this expansion draft. I'm having a real hard time finding guys that the Canes can expose based on the rules, without giving up our core forwards (JStaal, Skinner, Rask, Lindholm). With being a young team, we will have a lot of guys that will be exempt due to be 1st or 2nd year pros (i.e Aho, Teuvo, Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin). Or guys who are upcoming free agents (i.e McClement, Hainsey, Wiz, Bickell). Francis has to go out and sign a Free Agent or 2 for at least 2 years and be able to expose them.

Edited by caniac247

Man Oilers just gave up Hall for Laarson. Oilers got hosed because of their desperation for defense. Would have loved to make a similar trade with them.

I hear you, and don't disagree in general.

I just hope no one is including me in that category since over the past 3 years I've been one of the most vocal here in stating that I thought that the Canes needed more talent.  And still do, thinking we jettison Gerbe, Terry, and McClement, hopefully for significant upgrades.  While I'd love us to be so deep that there isn't room for a player like Nash on the roster, I just don't see that as realistically happening with the Canes next season.  If it does, than I'll happily say "syonara and good luck" to Nash along with the 3 I mentioned above.

I agree and should of clarified my thoughts that Keeping Nash was based on an assumption that we did not acquire one or two better forwards than what we have signed already. If RF makes a few more quality upgrades to the offense that are better than Nash, I'd wish him the best as well.

Man the PK swap makes zero sense for Montreal.

Stamkos staying in TB 8 years 8.5 AAV. There goes our chance at getting a decent winger on July 1st because everyone else was focused on Stamkos.

Now TB is on the clock for moving cap money to keep RFAs.

Man the PK swap makes zero sense for Montreal.

Stamkos staying in TB 8 years 8.5 AAV. There goes our chance at getting a decent winger on July 1st because everyone else was focused on Stamkos.

Now TB is on the clock for moving cap money to keep RFAs.

There also goes my prediction that he would break $10.5 million. Of course he didn't actually go to market.

I would have signed him to that deal. Tampa is going to be very good for a long time.

And yes, Okposo, Erikksson et all just smiled widely.

Edited by remkin