The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

That's all the evidence you need about GMRF wanting to trade Faulk.  Easily could have gotten it done for Hall.

Evolution is taking its course!!!

I guess a part of rebuilding your team is watching other teams around you get worse. This is a great day for Hurricane fans, even though we haven't done anything.

I'm not following. NJ definitely got better. EDM getting worse doesn't affect us very much. TB got better as Stamkos isn't a 10 AAV player. Montreal won't see the loosideness of the trade until 2-3 years.

That's all the evidence you need about GMRF wanting to trade Faulk.  Easily could have gotten it done for Hall.

Unless EDM desired a defensive defenseman over an offensive defenseman.  I know if i were in their shoes, i certainly would have.

I'm not following. NJ definitely got better. EDM getting worse doesn't affect us very much. TB got better as Stamkos isn't a 10 AAV player. Montreal won't see the loosideness of the trade until 2-3 years.

For now, I'm going to give NJ a win, but I don't think this makes them better than us.  Larsson was good for them, and Hall has a reputation for not putting in effort, which doesn't really fit their style of play.  He also won't have a 1st line center.

Tampa was already better than us, but this leaves Detroit without a replacement for Datsyuk.  IMO, Carolina is going to surpass them in the standings next season.

I think Montreal will see the effect from this trade immediately.  They play a fast, uptempo game and like to get out in transition, which Subban thrived in.  Subban is just flat out better than Weber.  Weber is also signed into his 40's.  Montreal got a little worse imo.

Right now, the eastern conference teams I have penciled into the playoffs:

Washington

Tampa

Pitts

Florida

Two NYC teams

If we can acquire another 50+ pt scorer before the season, we are definitely in the mix for a playoff spot.

Go read the Edmonton message board of your choice and enjoy, that is if you enjoy a complete collective meltdown.

There also goes my prediction that he would break $10.5 million. Of course he didn't actually go to market.

I would have signed him to that deal. Tampa is going to be very good for a long time.

And yes, Okposo, Erikksson et all just smiled widely.

Florida doesn't have a state income tax, which effectively bumps that $8.5m up to ??  I'm sure Stamkos factored that into his decision.

For now, I'm going to give NJ a win, but I don't think this makes them better than us. Larsson was good for them, and Hall has a reputation for not putting in effort, which doesn't really fit their style of play. He also won't have a 1st line center.

Tampa was already better than us, but this leaves Detroit without a replacement for Datsyuk. IMO, Carolina is going to surpass them in the standings next season.

I think Montreal will see the effect from this trade immediately. They play a fast, uptempo game and like to get out in transition, which Subban thrived in. Subban is just flat out better than Weber. Weber is also signed into his 40's. Montreal got a little worse imo.

Right now, the eastern conference teams I have penciled into the playoffs:

Washington

Tampa

Pitts

Florida

Two NYC teams

If we can acquire another 50+ pt scorer before the season, we are definitely in the mix for a playoff spot.

I can see what you're saying but Detroit will get their people this offseason. With Stamkos out of the picture our ability to get a 50+ point person goes down. Detroit will target a center and a winger.

That Subban trade, wow.  I don't know what the situation is up there in Montreal, but didn't Subban just donate a bunch of millions to charity in that community?  Very odd trade.

Sweet jeebus...what a whirlwind half hour!!!  Stamkos, Subban/Weber, Hall/Larsson...and a LOT of teams with a TON of cap space now.  Get ready for some insane bidding wars for Lucic, Eriksson, etc come Friday at noon.

Looking at the stats, I think Edmonton got royally screwed on the Hall trade...I'm just not seeing where Larsson is really going to improve their D.  In the long run, I think the Preds got the better end of that trade.

Just got me thinking how Edmonton yet again gets one of the elite forwards in yet another draft. Just ain't right. At some point there just needs to be an "enough already" rule.

Maybe Edmonton gets to protect about 5 players from the expansion draft and let the Black Knights just pick them clean.

Edited by remkin

Just got me thinking how Edmonton yet again gets one of the elite forwards in yet another draft. Just ain't right. At some point there just needs to be an "enough already" rule.

Maybe Edmonton gets to protect about 5 players from the expansion draft and let the Black Knights just pick them clean.

You won't get any argument out of me on that...Edmonton is the prime example of squandering the obvious and tanking for the pick.

AWAC, I don't think there's a ton of teams with a large amount of cap space.  A lot of teams may only have $50-55 in available space currently, but there are other factors to consider.  

Take Buffalo for example.  Currently, their cap hit is at $57 million.  They have 5 RFA's to re-sign, one of which is their best defender.  That would likely bump them up to $64 million.  They also need another goaltender.  And in 2 years, they're going to have to re-sign Kane, and give significant raises to Bennett and Eichel.  In two years, they're going to be a cap-strapped team, and they haven't shown they're ready to even be a playoff threat, much less an actual contender.  They had no business being in on Stamkos in the 1st place, have placed little value on defense, and they'll never be a contender until they get a legit goalie.

There are other teams in the exact same boat as Buffalo, like Calgary, Ottawa, Vancouver, Colorado, etc.

Hall for Larson straight up makes me just wonder, purely theoretically of course, what they would have given in addition to Hall for Faulk?

PK17. I would agree. I still believe our best chance at good young forward(s) is a RFA rights trade. Teams will run out of money quickly.

TB is now in serious cap issues

Minnesota has to be the worst off. 10 mil in space and they need 8 roster players.

Here's what I think happens: Franchise sits the first few days...maybe even two weeks...out of the fray.  He lets the big names go in what will end up being bidding wars between teams wanting to land the big fish.  Hell, I think he may even wait til late July before starting to make moves with the leftovers and the cap-space discards...because, by then, the bigger teams will have spent themselves out of the cap and he will get to cherry-pick the leftovers, and get a decent discount in the process.

Not sure what they are smoking in Montreal and Edmonton. Even if you think Weber and Subban are a wash this year, Weber is signed for 10 more years (into his 40s), and his cap hit is only about $1 million less than Subban's. I don't get to see Weber play much, but There must be something going on w/Subban in Montreal that the public does not know. I thought he was their most popular player. And that isn't even the worst trade of the day. I'm stunned that Edmonton would part w/Hall for Larsen. I guess if you draft first overall 8 or 9 years in a row (well almost), you have to give away a 24 year old top line forward to make room for the other 7 you drafted. Too bad we could not get in on Hall.

I do admire Stamkos for sticking with Tampa for at least $2 million less than he could have gotten elsewhere. Yeah, he saves part of that since there is no state income tax in Florida, but he clearly put the team first and left Tampa with more $$ to sign their other good young players. Bishop is bound to be gone by Friday. Wonder if we might make a run at him?

What would you guys give for Rick Nash 30% retained? That'd be about $5.5m for two seasons.

Over the past 3 seasons he ranks 10th in 5v5 points per 60 mins (2.31). NYR seem desperate to get rid of his contract so we could get away with another fleecing. I think he is definitely capable of putting up 50 points on our team.

PK17. I would agree. I still believe our best chance at good young forward(s) is a RFA rights trade. Teams will run out of money quickly.

TB is now in serious cap issues

Minnesota has to be the worst off. 10 mil in space and they need 8 roster players.

There was a discussion about TB on another board.  Here's their scenario:

Tampa Bay currently only has $9.5 million in cap space remaining.  They have to sign Kucherov, Killorn, Nesterov, and Namestnikov.

Killorn's value should equal $2.75 million AAV (similar numbers as Lindholm)

Namestnikov's value should be $2.5 million AAV (slightly less numbers than Linholm)

Nesterov's value should be $1.5 million AAV (Sustr's contract)

Kucherov's value should be $7 million AAV (elite winger status)

Those numbers alone put them over the cap limit.  The sucky part for TB is next season, when they're going to have to give significant raises to Hedman, Johnson, Drouin, and Vasilevskiy with the only contract coming off the books being Bishop.

Hedman's likely to jump from $4 million AAV to $7 million AAV

Johnson's likely to jump from $3 million AAV to $5-6 million AAV

Drouin's likely to jump from $3 million AAV to $5-6 million AAV 

Vasilevskiy's likely to jump from his ELC contract to $4 million

Yzerman has done a good job up until this point of keeping a contender.  He kept Drouin when he was nearly forced to make a trade.  He didn't sell low on Bishop when the vultures were plucking at their cap problems.  And by hook or crook, he managed to sign Stamkos for significantly less than he would've got on the open market.  But his time is up.  There's just no way he's going to be able to keep all these players.  Even if he managed to get all his current RFA's signed this season, there's absolutely no room for his free agents next year, when the cap is probably going to go down.  At some point, and probably before the beginning of the season, they're going to have to give away Bishop.

A member of another board brought up a good point that teams would be stupid to NOT offer Kucherov an offer sheet that they know TB can't afford.  If i'm GMRF, i'd offer him $7-7.5 million AAV for 6 yrs, or i'm trying to pry Drouin away from them.  Kucherov would fit in perfectly in Carolina, as he's a near 70pt player and he plays right wing.