The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

McKeown could be getting a shot. He had a great season and was Captain of his team. Or they are thinking about playing a left shot on the right side.

I can't imagine them thinking Murphy would be better than Wiz.

I'm thinking RF goes in big on Mikkel Boedker as he fits the age requirement and also can play the LW/RW. He still hasn't hit his prime and we could utilize him for years to come.Go for it RF!

Edited by slapshot02

Either we're being total cheap skates or this is space cleared to make a move or moves via FA.

Truth be told...  I would be utterly shocked if we brought in a top tier forward.  I think the top 6 is set.

Gotta be moves, and with some serious coin - without Wiz we struggle just to hit the floor...

There is 0 way we need the cap space. I can't see us adding another D man. This deal makes less sense the more time goes on.

Kinda like the build-up to a magic trick? BP warned us...  :D

Either we're being total cheap skates or this is space cleared to make a move or moves via FA.

Truth be told...  I would be utterly shocked if we brought in a top tier forward.  I think the top 6 is set.

Cheap?  Still paying $2m of the $3 owed.  Plus someone is going to come in to backfill and cost money.  Don't see how there is a ton of savings here unless RF really thinks Wiz won't work at all.  This has to be more of a roster move than a money move.

Gotta say, RF is RF and keeps his cards close.  All the talk here is just conjecture.  I've seen a lot of "this must be what is going on..." kind of talk.  it is fun to read, but in the end, nonsense, because nobody saw this one coming.

Wow.

Wow.

With the caveat that we've been faked out before thinking one thing meant another, having this happen the day before Free Agency starts really does smack of a move coming.

It is also possible that Francis has his eye on a RH defenseman as part of that move, or thinks Murphy is up to the task.

That said, it could also be to clear out space to take on another bad contract type deal, sort of like the TT deal.

It is also possible that all or part of this had to do with Wiz's actual ability to play well. Coming back from that injury and an entire year off? Could take a while to get back to game speed, and we can not have a slow start.

THAT said, the timing really makes one think something else is coming. Also, since Francis has been able to talk with UFA's maybe he already has something lined up.

Edited by remkin

Perhaps RF thinks one of the yutes is ready to fill the spot. Who knows how Wiz would of been since the ACL injury.

Look how well Rod played post-ACL tear...

I'm wondering about Frans Nielsen or Troy Brouwer. Unless he's going for the big dog Okposo. Just hard to really think we land the big fish. But this does leave one wondering.... :letssee: .

It is also possible that all or part of this had to do with Wiz's actual ability to play well. Coming back from that injury and an entire year off? Could take a while to get back to game speed, and we can not have a slow start.

Coming back from an ACL is very tough and at 32 it raises a question on his skating capabilities. Perhaps there was a question on whether he could keep up with the speed that both RF and BP want. Since we have no clue on how he was during his continual rehab it's hard to say. I'm sure RF had his finger on the pulse.

I'm wondering about Frans Nielsen or Troy Brouwer. Unless he's going for the big dog Okposo. Just hard to really think we land the big fish. But this does leave one wondering.... :letssee: .

IMO I think Okposso is going to be greatly over paid and I don't think RF will fall into that trap. I can see him going in at top range for a mid tier player.

The more I read into it the more it sounds like the Wiz buy out was related to the expansion draft. Hanifin, Pesce, Slavin are all exempt. Hainsey and Wiz are free agents next summer. That leaves Faulk as the only guy that fits under the "40/70 rule". There's no way we expose him. So we buyout Wiz and sign another vet to a 2-year deal and expose him for the expansion draft.

I think that makes sense. But it's all confusing to be honest.

With the conclusion of the 1st buyout window, Canes set to have highest buy-out caphit at $5.83M. CAR: 5.83M COL: 3.6M MIN: 2.5M NSH: 2.12M

The more I read into it the more it sounds like the Wiz buy out was related to the expansion draft. Hanifin, Pesce, Slavin are all exempt. Hainsey and Wiz are free agents next summer. That leaves Faulk as the only guy that fits under the "40/70 rule". There's no way we expose him. So we buyout Wiz and sign another vet to a 2-year deal and expose him for the expansion draft.

That's my take.  Plus Wiz has a NMC, which explains why this wasn't announced earlier in the day because without the clause he would have to go through waivers first.

Don't forget the annual FA's were too expensive press conference at 3pm tomorrow.

Hoping for some magic though.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm thinking it may have been as much or more health related as contract related.  I'm wondering if RF had concerns regarding how effective Wiz would be next season. And instead of waiting to see, RF decided to be proactive given that the buyout period ends tonight. 

We know cap isn't going to be an issue for the Canes (at least the cap ceiling :P), and the actual $ was for "only" $3m (down from the AAV of $5.5m). 

If it is a strategy related to the expansion draft, any rule against re-signing Wiz to a 2 year deal at a much reduced rate? As in, I wonder if it's possible that RF and Wiz collaborated on the deal beforehand?   

Edited by LakeLivin

Certainly the buyout window closing would explain the timing. Not so much to free up space for tomorrow, but for whenever.

It would go against the grain in a major way for us to land a guy tomorrow.

As Coastal said, one can hope....

The injury does seem like the simplest explanation, but I keep going back to those expansion draft rules.  Maybe the expansion draft informed the decision to buy him out if there were concerns over his health.

I still can't see the Canes leaving Faulk unprotected.

I think one of Hainsey or Wiz had to be bought out due to the upcoming expansion draft. In that case Wiz is the obvious choice to buy out. Coming off a bad injury and missing an entire season. Whereas Hainsey has been here a couple seasons and seems to be a good guy to have in the locker room for the young guys. 

So if I'm understanding this right, we HAVE to expose 1 Dman who has played at least 40 games the prior year or 70 the last two years, who is under contract during the expansion draft (and 2 forwards). Hainsey and Wiz would not qualify not only due to games played, but they will not be under contract. 

Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin are exempt. Hainsey will be gone, as would Wiz.

Murphy would need to play in 35 games this year and we could expose him, but who knows if he makes 35 games OR if we want to expose him if he suddenly plays well.

That would leave Faulk which is unacceptable.

So then we have to move out Wiz to get a guy under contract for 2 years so we can expose that guy instead of Faulk.

Makes sense.

Then we also have to figure out the two forwards...

Edited by remkin

Maybe it is expansion related.  I was thinking about the # of d-men you can protect, but there's also this:

* All Clubs must expose for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b ) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Right now that's Faulk and our 3 wonder-yutes, right?  Because Hainsey isn't under contract for '17-'18.  Wiz wasn't either, and the games requirement might have been a dicey proposition even if he was.  Murphy would fit the bill if we signed him for 2 more years and played him in 35 games next season, but who wants to box us in that way? 

Maybe we bring back Liles for 2 years (just kidding, I'm sure RF will be looking for a right handed d-man). 

edit: I was writing this as rem was posting above.

Edited by LakeLivin

So if I'm understanding this right, we HAVE to expose 1 Dman who has played at least 40 games the prior year or 70 the last two years, who is under contract during the expansion draft (and 2 forwards). Hainsey and Wiz would not qualify not only due to games played, but they will not be under contract. 

Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin are exempt. Hainsey will be gone, as would Wiz.

Murphy would need to play in 35 games this year and we could expose him, but who knows if he makes 35 games OR if we want to expose him if he suddenly plays well.

That would leave Faulk which is unacceptable.

So then we have to move out Wiz to get a guy under contract for 2 years so we can expose that guy instead of Faulk.

Makes sense.

Then we also have to figure out the two forwards...

I've been looking at the forward situation and as of right now I think we will have to expose one of Nordstrom or Nestrasil. Of course it depends on what happens in free agency. We can protect 7 forwards.

Players who are exempt:

Aho

Di Giuseppe

Players we'd like protect:

Staal

Skinner

Rask

Lindholm

Nestrasil

Nordstrom

Teuvo (not 100% sure we have to protect him but I think we do)

That's seven players. 

Bickell, McClement will be free agents and don't apply.

So if we sign a top 6 forward, that gives us 8 players who we would like to protect. One has to go. Of the ones on that list, I'd assume of one Nordstrom or Nestrasil would have to be exposed. Or if they sign an older free agent (Vanek for example), we could leave him exposed in order to keep our younger core together.