The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Maybe it is expansion related.  I was thinking about the # of d-men you can protect, but there's also this:

* All Clubs must expose for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b ) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Right now that's Faulk and our 3 wonder-yutes, right?  Because Hainsey isn't under contract for '17-'18.  Wiz wasn't either, and the games requirement might have been a dicey proposition even if he was.  Murphy would fit the bill if we signed him for 2 more years and played him in 35 games next season, but who wants to box us in that way? 

Maybe we bring back Liles for 2 years (just kidding, I'm sure RF will be looking for a right handed d-man). 

edit: I was writing this as rem was posting above.

One thing Lake, the wonder yutes are exempt.  So right now, it's Faulk.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Wow, nice analysis guys.

Glad the Cane's front office is on this.    Not joking either.  There have been some real gaffs by GMs missing out on easy rules in recent yeras.

However, the issue with signing a veteran forward and then leaving him exposed for the expansion draft is that we have to reach the cap floor. Let's say we give Rask $4.5 or so. We are still roughly $3-4m below the floor (I think). We are gonna have to spend some cash. If we overpay an older guy to help reach the floor and with the goal of leaving him exposed for the draft, Vegas might not want that contract and then we are stuck with it.

It'll be interesting to see how Francis handles it.

Or if we go out and sign a forward from FA, we could have him for one year free, then, if he delivers and fits the plan we expose someone else, if not we expose him.

Somehow exposing a guy just doesn't sound right...

Edited by remkin

A guy like Matt Martin on an overpaid two or three-year deal to shore up the fourth line I would be fine with.  He's exposed.  :huh:

But I'm sure agents aren't dummies either.

Edited by coastal_caniac

So we need to sign a cheap defenseman for the 6/7 slot that played close to 70 games last year to a 2 year contract.  The same thing for a 12/13 forward.  Nordstrom will almost have to be the other unprotected forward.  Nobody else that we would risk is under contract.

It's pretty simple in my eyes. You have to expose a Dman with 40/70 and a contract through 2017-2018

Wiz A) didn't have a contract through 2017-2018 and B ) played 1 game last year so risked not meeting 40/70 depending on how this season goes.

Hanifin, Pesce, Slavin are automatically protected. Hainsey doesn't have a contract through 2017-2018. Murphy won't have 40/70.

That leaves Faulk. So we could expose Faulk or cut Wiz and bring in a UFA Dman that meets the expansion draft requirements (they will likely play a lot this year to help meet 40/70, so no go on the young guys right now). I wouldn't take this move as a sign that we are going shopping tomorrow. I will think we wait for a reasonable deal for a forward in a few weeks.

Edited by BBC-line

I would agree, given that this was the deadline for a buyout and that it made sense from the expansion side of things, this likely has little to no impact on tomorrow, and things being what things are, signing a guy tomorrow would be exciting, but unlikely.

Still can hope...

Edited by remkin

I get it now. The expansion draft is the driving force behind the move and it makes sense. Even so I'm hoping for a little magic tomorrow.

Well there are Brian Campbell, Lovejoy or JML.

Also, in my eyes says we aren't moving Faulk for offense.

Campbell said he wants to go back to Chicago, and will take a discount to do so...so I won't count on him at all.

One thing Lake, the wonder yutes are exempt.  So right now, it's Faulk.

Sure, the 3 wunder-yutes are automatically exempt,  but I wonder if we could expose 1 if we wanted to.  Not that we'd want to, but what if RF hadn't handled the situation and we went with Wiz, Hainsey, Faulk, Fleury, and the 3 wonder-yutes next season?  Could we expose, say, Pesce instead of Faulk?  In a way, either would be an exception to meet the minimum games rule; Pesce because he's automatically exempt, Faulk because he's covered by one of the 3 d-man exemptions.  

Obviously it's a moot point since RF is handling it, but I'm curious about the technicality just the same . . . 

Edited by LakeLivin

Let us know what you find out.  I'm assuming the rule is the rule and those players are exempt, period.  That's been the premise of Faulker and my points on expansion rules and why Wiz was bought out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

So I'm messing around on the armchair GM feature on the Cap Friendly site.

I gave Rask $4.5m per season and Murphy $1.25m per season (just spit-balling). That put us at $47.3m against the cap. The cap floor is $54m. Simple math says we are $6.3m below the floor with the following roster:

Skinner - Rask - Teuvo

Nordy - Staal - Nesty

PDG - Aho - Lindholm

Bickell - McClement - ????

Slavin - Faulk

Hanifin - Pesce

Hainsey - Murphy

Cam

Lack

That's 19 players. 4 spots to fill and only need to spend $6m to reach the floor. I'd imagine a couple of those spots will come from Charlotte (maybe McGinn or Tolchinsky). So, we don't really have to overspend anywhere. Francis has a lot of options. But I think he'll play it safe and bring some vets on the cheap. 

With that said, Brouwer is who I want but not getting my hopes up.

Edited by TheFaulker

With that said, Brouwer is who I want but not getting my hopes up.

I'm more and more with you on that. He'd be a great addition.

Notable RHD that are UFA and likely in our price range:

Justin Schultz

Luke Schenn

Roman Polak

Ben Lovejoy

Jamie McBain (lol)

Lovejoy or JML may be on 2 year contract list. JML did decently for the squad. I also believe we would go after someone like Vanek or an older winger to sign for 2 seasons for exposure.

Then in August make a deal for a decent young RFA winger that a team can't afford.

Read a tweet from a hockey insider that says barring any last minute deals, it appears Eriksson and Brower are going to Vancouver!

One minute that team wants to rebuild, then they do stuff like this.

Guess that means no Vancouver for EStaal.

Updating my own list now that RFA qualifying has given me something to update...

LHD -

Carrick

Chelios

Fleury

Hainsey

Hanifin

Lowe RFA

Robertson RFA

Slavin

RHD -

Faulk

Ganly

McKeown

Murphy RFA

Pesce

Wesley

Wisniewski

8 LHDs, 7 RHDs.  No point being made here at this time, just throwing that out there.

OK, just for giggles.

LHD -

Carrick

Chelios

Fleury

Hainsey

Hanifin

Lowe RFA

Robertson RFA

Slavin

RHD -

Faulk

Ganly

McKeown

Murphy RFA

Pesce

Wesley

If Peters truly doesn't want defensemen on their off-side, then either a RHD is going to be brought in, McKeown is ready to make the jump, or Murphy is the go-to guy.

Edited by realmdrakkar