The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Like I said, the annual press conference is at 3pm.

Yep. We'll all sit around eagerly waiting for nothing to happen.

I do wonder if some of the "2nd tier" guys will be antsy to get a chair before the music stops.

Problem is with the grit and 40 points, and Stamkos gone, I fear Brouwer may be closer to the bottom of tier one than the top of tier two.

And we are at best tier two players.

Edited by remkin

Canes hire Curtis Joseph as goaltending consultant.  More news soon.

Reading the press release now...  "As goaltending consultant, Joseph will work closely with the Hurricanes' netminder prospects of the AHL..."

No talk about The Nose.  Sounds like an extra, new position targeted at guys in the system.

Edited by wxray1

I think Murphy would qualify for exposure if he plays enough games this year, no? So you play him 5-6, then expose him. Problem solved.

Maybe we shore up goaltending if something's there.

As for any forward moves today, I'm with everybody on Troy Brouwer. Also on my wish list:

Duchene

Landeskog

Boedker

and (of course) Eberle

I think Murphy would qualify for exposure if he plays enough games this year, no? So you play him 5-6, then expose him. Problem solved.

As for any forward moves today, I'm with everybody on Troy Brouwer. Also on my wish list:

Duchene

Landeskog

Boedker

and (of course) Eberle

Yeah, Murphy could qualify if we played him enough games. But I don't know if the team has any desire to play him that many games. The buyout of Wiz kinda indicates that.

Canes hire Curtis Joseph as goaltending consultant.  More news soon.

Reading the press release now...  "As goaltending consultant, Joseph will work closely with the Hurricanes' netminder prospects of the AHL..."

No talk about The Nose.  Sounds like an extra, new position targeted at guys in the system.

This is a great developmental move for our young goalies.

Yeah, Murphy could qualify if we played him enough games. But I don't know if the team has any desire to play him that many games. The buyout of Wiz kinda indicates that.

After the Wiz injury and before his own, Murph was on track to stay in the 5-6 slot, so I'm guessing that's the plan now.

Duchene

Landeskog

Boedker

and (of course) Eberle

Murphy only played 35 last season. You would have to play Murphy 35 games this year to reach 70 in 2 seasons. Idk about you but I don't quite call that a sure bet.

For me it becomes, take care of this situation now and ensure Faulk won't have to be exposed. Too much comes into play to risk it. Injuries namely.

Edited by BBC-line

Murphy only played 35 last season. You would have to play Murphy 35 games this year to reach 70 in 2 seasons. Idk about you but I don't quite call that a sure bet.

On the other hand, if we platoon him in the 5-6 slot with our "other" sixth, it shouldn't be too tough.

Or we could bring Seids back cheap since he was just bought out, and expose him :)

On the other hand, if we platoon him in the 5-6 slot with our "other" sixth, it shouldn't be too tough.

...unless he tears his ACL 47 seconds into his first shift.

Murphy might end up playing enough games to qualify. It's almost impossible to know right now. But I'd bet money we sign a vet Dman on a 2-3 year deal to ensure we don't have to expose Faulk.

Kane seems like a bad person. He's talented but I wouldn't want him on our team.

I'm still down for the Murphy for Yak trade though.

Edited by TheFaulker

Unleashing Kane on Raleigh could set hockey in the south back 10 years. Then again that would make it 2006. We might be able to live with that.

If that deal's there, I'm down. Evander Kane has had my undying respect ever since this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like the Sabres are trying to move him, not sure if they'd want Murphy. Just spitballing.

Reading they are about to sign Okposo, might make them lean more so toward trading Kane?

Kane for Murphy and a draft pick is a no-brainer.  Kane's baggage isn't that heavy (yet).  Nothing to lose in giving up Murphy.  Doubt Buffalo will let him go though, they have a good thing going there right now...

Duchene

Landeskog

Boedker

and (of course) Eberle

Not only would depending on Murphy playing 35 games this season entail some risk (including injury), we'd need to sign him for at least 2 years.  I just don't see RF willingly boxing himself in like that.  Seems a lot safer to just bring in a guy who's already qualified for exposure because he played at least 40 games last season.

Edited by LakeLivin