The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

E Staal to Min. 3 years. $3.5M AAV.

That's exactly the number I was guessing but I was thinking he'd only get 2 years.  Good luck up north, E.

I thought the face stretch was a joke to fit with the picture of Kane doing some face stretching on the Pen player.

It is not a joke!

That's faScial stretching - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascia

I know, it's funnier to say facial stretching with a pic of Kane distorting a Penguin's face. I'm such a killjoy...

Article on nhl.com

Center Eric Staal agreed to a three-year contract with the Minnesota Wild on Friday, according to the Star-Tribune.

The New York Rangers acquired Staal from the Carolina Hurricanes prior to the NHL Trade Deadline. However, he struggled to score in New York, like he had in recent years with Carolina, the only team he had played for prior to the trade.

Staal was better than a point-a-game player during the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season, but his offensive numbers have gone down steadily. He had 10 goals and 33 points in 63 games with the Hurricanes, then scored three goals and finished with six points in 20 games with the Rangers.

Staal was scoreless with a minus-7 rating in the Rangers' five-game loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference First Round.

Staal has never approached the 100 points he put up in 2005-06, when he helped the Hurricanes to their only Stanley Cup championship. But he had seven consecutive seasons (2005-12) with at least 70 points and has scored 21 or more goals nine times, most recently in 2014-15.

For his career, Staal has 325 goals and 456 assists in 929 games.

Ha ha Jonker, I was going to point that out and then it got funny.

The irony is I could actually use some fascial stretching.  But LOLing at this fascia/face mixup has been a good way to stretch the smiley muscles.

What would we do without a facial stretch therapist??

Canes Add Burniston to Full-Time Training Staff

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888031

That's faScial stretching - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascia

I know, it's funnier to say facial stretching with a pic of Kane distorting a Penguin's face. I'm such a killjoy...

Great move.  When I was younger and very active athletically my back was really tight (2 very experienced deep tissue massage guys said it was one of the worst they'd worked on).   It wasn't until I added myofascial release work to the deep tissue massage that I got everything loosened up.  And my activities were mainly a lot of basketball, softball, and working out.  Nothing near the beating that hockey players endure on a regular basis. I can definitely see the benefits of adding a guy like Burniston full time.  

I love that the Canes have added a lot of things to what some might view as the "periphery" (scouting, training, analytics, Cujo).  Now if they can just get the practice facility upgraded to somewhere in the same area code as a 1st class facility . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

We signed Viktor Stalberg 1 year @ 1.5m

And apparently Alexander Radulov signed with Montreal 1 year @ 5.75m

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Counting PGD, Canes have 11 forwards signed, and Rask and Aho make 13.  I think you are looking at the forward group.

Agree, just made that point over in the UFA thread.

Unless Francis makes the big trade, or finds just the right fit to bump Nesty or Nordstrom, I think we're done too.

And I think we're better than last year for what that's worth.

Sounds like the team is in talks to extend Bill Peters contract.

I also think we are better than last year, and until the puck drops there is always time to tweak things depending on what deal surfaces.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sounds like the team is in talks to extend Bill Peters contract.

I also think we are better than last year, and until the puck drops there is always time to tweak things depending on what deal surfaces.

Oh please, no!!!

I like the job he's done thus far, but until he makes the playoffs, no extensions or even talks of extensions!

Oh please, no!!!

I like the job he's done thus far, but until he makes the playoffs, no extensions or even talks of extensions!

Any suggestions on who would have done more with this team?

I really think that RF is trying to build something different in Raleigh than 1: anything we have seen in Raleigh before (long term thinking) and B: different from the other 29 GM's (because he knows he is working with less funding).  I think he has a vision and PBP is on the same page.  PBP has gotten more and more notoriety with his coaching of Team Canada. 

Edited by super_dave_1

So, as close as this team seemed, and as well as Pastor Bill did at limiting shots and getting shots, this team, in the end was well off the mark for any kind of playoff team in terms of scoring goals and stopping goals.

To put the final answer ahead of the analysis, to be in the playoffs are not in question group, this years team needs to:

Gain 30 total goals or .365 goals per game. And cut 16 goals, or .195 goals per game less.

I will say this. Getting splits on all teams is not feasible, and the Canes were awful early. So predicting some boost just by not starting in the mud, is reasonable. But for the purposes of this analysis, we look at the entire year.

This is how I break down the teams last year:

Cup Contenders: Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim.

Playoff Solid: Nashville, Florida, NYI, MIN. NYR.

Bubble, lucky: Det, Philly

So for this year, we are clearly not aiming to be in the cup contenders category. But the Playoff Soild can be a goal, and should be. Frankly we were probalby in between playoff solid and bubble team from December to the deadline in terms of play and the GF/GA.

So, looking at the categories and GF and GA, this is what we get:

GF:

Cup contenders: average: 237 (range: 218-267).

Solid playoff: average: 230

Bubble lucky: 214

Canes: 198

So, there was essentially no way. Not a single playoff team put up less than 214 goals for, but those were the bubble lucky teams, the lowest solid playoff team was 216 and that was a wild card team Minnesota, who only allowed 206.

Clearly if you are not going to put up as many you need to have the steel trap on goals allowed. The lowest scoring cup contender was

Anaheim, at 218, but they allowed the fewest goals in the entire NHL. Also, they are probably the biggest stretch to call cup contender.

Take them out and the NEXT leaps all the way to 224 (St. Louis, also a stingy D).

So, unless you have the steel trap D, you really need to be around 240 Goals For to be a cup contender. That is 42 more goals than we managed last year.

To be nearly assured the playoffs you need 230 goals for.  Only two teams who hit 230 missed the playoffs: Calgary and Boston. But Calgary allowed and astonishing GA of 260, by FAR the worst in the league. And Boston allowed 230. But Boston was a plus 10 team, and just missed the playoffs, and really was better than Philly or Detroit.

So 230 goals for is a pretty good number.

To hit that we need 32 more goals from somewhere.

GA:

Cup Teams: 204 (192-230)

Playoff Sure: 210

Bubble Luck: 212

Canes: 226

So, we were closer on this one. If, however, we can hit 212 goals allowed, we are there. That is 16 fewer goals. The fact that we are closer on this one is very important because this is the more important one. NO team that kept the opposition below 212 missed the playoffs. Not one.

If we get to 230/212, we are a stone cold playoff lock.

So, have our additions and subtractions netted us 30 more goals? 16 fewer goals?

Again, I'd love to see the splits for December to the Trade Deadline, because I bet we were on that pace for both ends. Just couldn't dig out of the hole.

Anyways, the D side should have an improved D, with our 3 wonder yutes better, and Faulk and Hainsey. So it will come down to goaltending. Can Cam stay consistent? Can Lack rediscover his game?

This will be critical because no solid playoff team allowed more than 217 goals except the offensive freak show in Dallas. And the ones that were close were more boarderline teams, and put up more than 230 goals for.

Goals against will likely come down to some better goal tending over the whole year. So not much to analyze there except that a huge amount of the badness was pre December, and a little post deadline, so there should be hope here.

So building on this theme, kind of echo'd with Top's recent UFA post:

This year: protect the assets, but give this team a real chance. Then, after the expansion draft, make a big move next year. Next year we will have McKeown, and Fleury ready for NHL duty, and maybe Guathier, and Bean will be cooking (see what I did there?) and several others still in the pipe line (Saarela, Zykov, Roy, McGinn, Tolchinsky, just to name a few).

But what about this year? Do we have a shot? Short answer: absolutely.

The defense is mostly set. We may add a guy to expose next year, but we also have Murphy, and RF seemed really hopeful about him suggesting he didn't really start putting the work in until last off-season, and recall he came in looking pretty darned good, got concussed and that was his year. So maybe, I've been a bit too harsh on him. I still think he's a guy who could arrive for good this year, or begin his perma AHL career. But that's a dichotomy, not an average. He could go either way, so let's plan on the good. And remember, his role is absolutely bottom half guy w/ PP time. He has more offense to bring, and we need that.

Anyways, this is about finding the goals this year.

The goals goal for me is 230. That's 2.8 goals per game. A gain of 32 goals over last year or .39 more goals/game.

First off, this team was probably on that pace Dec-early March. So an extreme optimist could say, "just take out the horrid start, and even last year's team makes the cut". But that's not overly reassuring, and plus, this year has another brutal road trip to start, and we've had more slow starts than good ones, so let's not cherry pick. Lets look at the whole year.

For the whole year, we were 32 goals shy of solid playoff team.

To make a long story short: (not my forte) we will need increased production from young players to close that gap. However, the moves of getting TT and Stepniak, basically puts us a bit AHEAD of Eric and Versteeg by at least 2 goals. Thus the marginal improvements of existing young players and a bump from Aho is what we need. But no uber breakouts are predicted here. Just marginal gains.

So the simplest place to start: Additions vs Subtractions: (not including Aho, just vets).

Lost:

Eric/Versteeg: 13 and 14 goals (projected full season): 27 goals lost. (assists are pretty close here so left off).

Gained:

TT/Stempniak: 13 goals, and 19 goals: 32 goals. PLUS 4.

One could estimate that Stempniak falls back, but I have to give the young gun a move forward. So, at least a wash, with serious upside potential for TT.

We held at least even (though paying WAY less).

OK, so that's not enough. We still need at least 30 goals more.

So, projections by remkin:

Last year/This year:

Skinner: 28/32:  + 3. Skinner put up 31 goals as an 18 year old. He put up 28 last year and didn't even get started until mid December.

J Staal: 20/25: +5 This is a bit of a stretch, but he was on a 30 goal pace during his great run. He put up 25 G in 62 games in 2013.

Rask: 21/25: +4 Rask is only in his 3rd NHL season. He 2X his goals year 1 to 2. He was injured much of the year. This is not a stretch.

Lindholm: 11/20: +9. This is the most important one. Lindholm could hit 25 goals. The skill is there, reportedly the work is finally coming.

Nordstrom: 10/15: +5: Nordstrom is too good to stay at only 10 goals. 15 is not a stretch. We need more than 10.

Nestrasil: 9/15 +6: Nesty may start slow this year, but how is this not a 15 goal guy? 13 goal pace last year.

Nash vs Aho: 9/15: +7: my guess is that Aho helps other's numbers up more than his, but he will beat Nash's 9.

PDG 7/14: +7:

That's 46 more goals. If we assume TT and Stemniak close the 2 from 32 to 30. Sure there may not be enough ice time for both PDG and Aho to put up around 15 G each, but we have a 16 goal buffer here.

We will lose Gerbe 3 and Terry 8. But others will fill those (Bickell, and Stahlberg in a cake walk) (I counted losing Nash's 9 above).

There's a lot more than we need there. So, some will be injured or fall short, but there is enough buffer.

But there's more:

Defense:

Faulk: 16/16:  even. Faulk will not have his crazy PP streak again, but he put up16G in 64 games. Put up 15 in 2014-15. He will get 16.

Hainsey: 5/4: -1 Hainsey is not a goal scorer 5 is his best in 7 years.

Slavin/JML: 6/5 -1: I think Slavin has way more offensive upside than we think. Five goals is not crazy.

Pesce: 4/5 +1: See Slavin: Pesce kind of faded at the end. He will come back strong and one more goal will be easy.

Hanifin: 4/6 +2: Hanifin is going to score more goals. I would bet on 7 this year. But I'll go conservative.

Murphy: 0/4 +4: Here he has to make the team and play and get PP time. But 4 goals is pretty low expectations.

Net: +5

Could be much more. We will activate the D, and the wonder yutes will be more comfortable.

We could easily have enough.

Edited by remkin

Any suggestions on who would have done more with this team?

I just have bad visions of what happened with Kirk...even though I think BP is an improvement.

What are you talking about?  Muller didn't get extended, he got fired.

IIRC, wasn't he rumored to be discussing extensions prior to his final season here?

IIRC, wasn't he rumored to be discussing extensions prior to his final season here?

No. That was JR's last year too, and whether to keep Kirk or replace him was entirely RF's call. His first major decision, in fact. And I think he made a pretty great one.

Which is why many of us are frustrated by the whiners. Ron has been very clear since he took over that this was going to be a long process. JR screwed this franchise six ways from Sunday. Anybody who thought it would be turned around overnight - let alone who has been hearing any suggestion of that from the org - hasn't been paying attention.

Edited by top-shelf-1

No. That was JR's last year too, and whether to keep Kirk or replace him was entirely RF's call. His first major decision, in fact. And I think he made a pretty great one.

Which is why many of us are frustrated by the whiners. Ron has been very clear since he took over that this was going to be a long process. JR screwed this franchise six ways from Sunday. Anybody who thought it would be turned around overnight - let alone who has been hearing any suggestion of that from the org - hasn't been paying attention.

I think you would agree at some point the long process has to become shorter. At that point you need to make the moves in the "future is now mode". We, IMO aren't at that point yet, we are still defining the team and in a building mode but soon, maybe not this year, but soon the rebuild has to show signs that it is working..one sign is making the playoffs.

I am very encouraged with what RF has accomplished and his overall rebuild. I see improvement and hope we see more this season. This team of young players could give us a very exciting season of hockey.

I think you would agree at some point the long process has to become shorter. At that point you need to make the moves in the "future is now mode". We, IMO aren't at that point yet, we are still defining the team and in a building mode but soon, maybe not this year, but soon the rebuild has to show signs that it is working..one sign is making the playoffs.

I am very encouraged with what RF has accomplished and his overall rebuild. I see improvement and hope we see more this season. This team of young players could give us a very exciting season of hockey.

Absolutely agree. And I do think making the playoffs this year is the goal, but that expansion, because of its effect on the FA pool, has made it harder. 

That said, I think everybody knows what's expected now, that the uncertainly that hung over the team like a wet blanket all last year is gone, and that if even half our guys take a step up, we're in.