The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I really think this team can be an exciting team. There are still many questions and the team is far from complete but it did become competitive last season.

Hey, I know two things;

1. My projection posts are long.

2. They have not always panned out.

I still stand behind it.

Over on the UFA thread there is a lot of angst that we did not splash a bigger forward, and I feel it too. I'll give my opinion on that over there, but GMRF did pick up Stempniak, which, if he is good for 40 points really does give this team's developing talent a chance to step up this year. It's true that they could regress, or not improve. But to expect guys going into their 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th NHL season to improve is not a crazy bet. Forwards are said to peak at 27.  Of our top 9 on the team before UFA, Jordan Staal is the only one to be at his peak age.

Also, defenseman peak at 28. Our D not named Hainsey? 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, with our top prospects: 18, 19. 20.

This is a crazy young team even with old man Stempniak at 33, now by far the elder statesman forward along with McClement. But our top 9 had one guy over 30 and the entire forward corps has two: both 33.

So this is a very young team.

Again, expecting improvement from key guys with less than 4 NHL seasons under their belts? Not crazy.

Look at my goal increase production predictions. They are only a few goals for most guys. The only one that is a major improvement is Lindholm. In that sense that is the one where I am expecting our #5 overall pick to get to 20 goals in his 4th season. Based on last year, it is a big jump up, but he already put up 17 goals two years ago at age 19.

I have heard that Lindholm was one of those guys, like Murphy, and others, who never really got how you have to train in the offseason to be good in the NHL. The thought was expressed last year that his lower body was just not NHL level. I have also heard that the Canes are seeing to it, that he arrives in shape this year. He has the skill. He put up 17 goals in his second season at 19. Lindholm could break out much bigger.

TT? This guy came into the playoffs in his first NHL taste and put up 10 points in 18 playoff games. I have watched him. He absolutely has the skills, and especially on the PP. Last year was his first full NHL season, with 35 games the year before. Expecting him to increase from 35 points? Not crazy.

Rask? Again, third full season. Played a lot of last year injured. Has basically gotten seriously better EVERY year since he showed up in Charlotte. Yet I'm only projecting 4 more goals.

Over the years some predictions have not panned out. But you know who utterly failed? Our veterans. Anyone on here predict 3 years ago that E Staal would have three years averaging LESS than 50 points? Last year 40? And while some did predict it, Semin had a very good year in his one year deal. That guy plummeted like a bag of lead. And Cam Ward absolutely spit the bit for a couple of years there.

Skinner ran into major concussion. J Staal broke his leg.

Seems we might have more depth this year, but we are not going to tolerate losing a top guy.

Still, expecting improvements from really young players, who are on the improvement curve? Maybe not happen, but not a bad bet.

Still, expecting improvements from really young players, who are on the improvement curve? Maybe not happen, but not a bad bet.

Being a man who has made wagers before in all sports, I don't think it is a good bet to project improvement on the unknown or history to back it up. It is an optimistic view to project improvement in the youth but without the history to back it up, not a good bet. We don;t know what their true talent level is at this point in time. Projecting improvement from Nordstrom/Nestrasil/PDG is an unknown and not a good bet. I hope they do,but I would not project increased goals from them at this point in time. AHO has not even played in a NHL game yet, he should be scorer but until he plays a few years in the NHL we have no clue. Boychuck comes to mind as many thought he was going to be a huge contributor,where is he now? 

In the past I made predictions about guys with lots of history to back it up: Ward, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Alex Semin, etc. Those have been even worse bets.

And Rask and Lindholm and Skinner, have history. The predictions for improvement are very marginal from their best.

TT did it in the playoffs. And true, Aho has not done it in the NHL, but destroying World Juniors, Killing it in the elite FInnish men's league at age 18, and Men's World tourney? Yes, he still has to prove it, but there is basis for that prediction. And it's not just me Francis and company had him pegged for the team even before some of that.

Still predictions are hot and cold for sure. It's a risky business. Luckily I don't have any money on it.

I just think there are solid reasons for optimism. The majority of my predictions are marginal improvements from guys sill on the upslope of their careers.

But we shall see. I definitely could be wrong.

Edited by remkin

Skinner-Rask-Stemp

Nordy-Staal-Nesty

This is hands down the worst top 6 I have ever seen since being a Canes fan. BTW Greensboro was closer to me when they played there. The way I see it, Lindy and TT make or break our playoff hopes.

Edited by bluedevil58

I agree there are reasons for optimism but I just wouldn't project increased production from Nordstom,Nestrasil,PDG, or even project on AHO at this point in time. I think the one thing we all agree on is that we hope they all light it up!

Skinner-Rask-Stemp

Nordy-Staal-Nesty

This is hands down the worst top 6 I have ever seen since being a Canes fan. BTW Greensboro was closer to me when they played there. The way I see it, Lindy and TT make or break our playoff hopes.

That will not be our top 6. TT will be in the top 6.

In my defense I stated that prior to the Versteeg trade. If the Canes acquire onw more 40 point guy then I will change my tone. 1 more 40 point guy and this team stands a much better chance for the post season. That's not being unrealistic. But then RF has states that he likes the group so that's that. The team must be prepping to sell.

Edited by bluedevil58

In my defense I stated that prior to the Versteeg trade. If the Canes acquire onw more 40 point guy then I will change my tone. 1 more 40 point guy and this team stands a much better chance for the post season. That's not being unrealistic. But then RF has states that he likes the group so that's that. The team must be prepping to sell.

BD, if it  is too painful for you why do you continue to be on this board or even watch games? You are in a lot of pain.

Is Gary working on a bobble head for Marcoux? I need something to hang my Canes hat on.http://www.rds.ca/hockey/marcoux-nie-avoir-ete-embauche-1.168362

I gotta say, I personally don't have any goalie coach bobble heads, but that one I'd want.

There would have to be a small counter weight in the back of the head, or it would just keep looking down.

Is this as bad as it feels? I just can't seem to stop. I mean that schnoz is just something to behold. Hey, he pulls it off, but yes, I'd go get that bobblehead.

That Marcoux bobblehead would have to have some kind of massive counter weight system to keep it from toppling over.  I don't know if Gary has it in him.

That Marcoux bobblehead would have to have some kind of massive counter weight system to keep it from toppling over.  I don't know if Gary has it in him.

Not if you lay it on it's back.Great spot for hats or to use in games of horseshoes.

The team must be prepping to sell.

You can stop trolling this line anytime, BD. And frankly, you should be thankful I'm not moderating, b/c there's a separate thread for such speculation, and you've been directed there numerous times.

There's a difference between being on topic and adding lines just to provoke a reaction. Given that this line was not included in your OP, I think it's easy to see why you added it.

At 3 - 3.5m is it really a mistake? I would gladly have a 1 C for that price. Regardless of point production the dude was a puck possession monster. I think his career will be rejuvenated with Parise on his line. Either way I'm not going ro bash the guy because for far too long he had elite line wingers such as LaRose on his line and he still managed to put up 70 point seasons. He will be missed. Edited by bluedevil58

Not to hijack the fascinating, if not frequently repetitive discussion of the optimistic amongst us trying to convince those who proclaim doom for the Canes at every turn, that the sun will indeed shine someday, I have a puzzling thought I'd like to bring up.

Now, I know that in our armamentarium, we are blessed to employ one Eric , who reputedly is a statistical guru. I certainly accept that at face value, and celebrate that RF was able to cover those bases in the current highly competitive NHL. So, my puzzlement revolves around requirements of the expansion draft, and although there are a few snippets on here by a few concerning our Defense, and more specifically Justin Faulk, we seem to have a "razor thin" plan of protecting him, unless I'm not understanding some elements? It seems that one thing Eric should be counted on in this predicament, is to help guide RF through this pending mine field?

Talk has evolved that the Wiz was essentially sacrificed because, due to his injury last year, he could not be our "sacrificial lamb" to the expansion draft? Ergo, we were forced to keep the to date underperforming Murphy in the fold.

Now, apparently we've just completed a deal for another Dman, Matt Tennyson, who also could be offered up to the expansion team, save for the fact that he was only signed for 1 year.

Thus, I ask, Murphy seems as the only player standing between losing Faulk or not. My point, if we are counting on Murph as the savior in this situation, what happens if he incurs an injury? Further, does this suggest that RF continues his quest for another defenseman as the off season progresses?

One more thought, can a D be brought in during the season and still be available for the expansion draft? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

I don't think Eric would have returned for that price, and I don't think he is a 1c any longer. I believe his last 70 point season was 11-12, and his numbers have declined since. Staal is a really good guy, but as a player, he got old young. I would love to see him get back to what he was, but, I'm afraid, the player of the last two years is what he is. I wouldn't be suprised to see him bought out, or exposed to the expansion draft.

Thus, I ask, Murphy seems as the only player standing between losing Faulk or not. My point, if we are counting on Murph as the savior in this situation, what happens if he incurs an injury? Further, does this suggest that RF continues his quest for another defenseman as the off season progresses?

One more thought, can a D be brought in during the season and still be available for the expansion draft? 

We have to expose one defenseman who is under contract in 17-18, and who played in at least 40 NHL games this season, or 70 NHL games combined in 15-16 and 16-17.

Murphy, if he is signed for two more years, would need to appear in 35 games this season to meet the critera for exposing a defenseman in the expansion draft.

I think RF will still sign another defenseman that qualifies for expansion. 

I can see the potential. I also foresee much more excitement at the games. Still undecided about becoming a STH again. I do not see a move.

While I understand the frustration of some who post here, I think a reality check is in order. We are a "non-traditional" hockey market. We are one of the smaller markets in the league. PK has never had, or been willing to part with, the resources to spend to the cap. Imagine what the discrepancy in our budget and the Canadian teams and big market teams would be if there were no cap and floor. And we have never made an early signing for big dollars when the UFA market opened.

Now the positive news. We have a major league franchise in Raleigh. While we have not had recent success, we have won one more cup than a lot of NHL franchises. When we have made the playoffs, we have generally done well. We get to see the best hockey players in the world, whether on our team or someone else's. JR accomplished a lot with this team, but by the time he left, his leadership had grown stale for this team. RF has accumulated a lot of young talent and prospects that give us a chance at long term success. We did very well from December through April of last year and the most important pieces of that team return, with potential upgrades for the players who left. The future looks bright and the team should be exciting this year. If everything falls into place, there is no reason we should not be competitive for a playoff berth.

As far as relocation, other than spending our money for tickets and merchandise, we as fans cannot control this. PK and Bettman say it is not going to happen. If it does, I'll be sad, but until it does, I'm going to be a loyal fan.

THE GLASS IS HALF FULL. Let's support our team.

I don't think Eric would have returned for that price, and I don't think he is a 1c any longer. I believe his last 70 point season was 11-12, and his numbers have declined since. Staal is a really good guy, but as a player, he got old young. I would love to see him get back to what he was, but, I'm afraid, the player of the last two years is what he is. I wouldn't be suprised to see him bought out, or exposed to the expansion draft.

Especially considering his "elite talent " crack after his signing.  You couldn't score with the Rangers, you really thing the Wild are more "elite"?