The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Agree on the d-man, it definitely makes sense to pick up another right shot D-man this summer. But for some reason I was thinking that we'd be at risk if we didn't get a likely "exposable" d-man before the season starts.  But if worse comes to worse, we just buy the cheapest d-man on the market at the deadline.  There's no way Faulk is going to be subject to risk.

Maybe the RF plan will be clearer once we find out what he plans on doing with Murphy.  I might be wrong, but I did pick up some sense he might be willing to roll the dice with Murphy?

Maybe the RF plan will be clearer once we find out what he plans on doing with Murphy.  I might be wrong, but I did pick up some sense he might be willing to roll the dice with Murphy?

Yeah, I got the same feeling. And RF made Murphy a qualifying offer, no? I'd think that he's got to at least protect the asset until it's clear that there's no hope of getting anything out of him (playing or in trade).  Anyone know if a qualifying offer can be a 2-way?

Edited by LakeLivin

Yes, he got an offer.  But what I was referring to was if the contract is two years, assuming he gets one, then it would make Murphy eligible for the expansion draft if he played 35 games this season.  Rolling the dice so to speak.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Yes, he got an offer.  But what I was referring to was if the contract is two years, assuming he gets one, then it would make Murphy eligible for the expansion draft if he played 35 games this season.  Rolling the dice so to speak.

Gotcha.  Yeah, it would be interesting to see what the offer is.  And from my impression of RF, it wouldn't surprise me if he had a plan A and a plan B all depending on what else he can cook up out there. 

My question is, what is the definition of "played 35 games"? One shift per game? A set number of shifts per game > 1? Not a "healthy scratch"?

Why not play Murphy one shift a game for 35 games to start the season, then sit him? He'd meet the 70-in-two-seasons requirement then, and save having to sign a draft-eligible defenseman.

I'm still thinking the Hurricanes should have gone out on a limb and signed Justin Falk to a two-year cheap deal. I would love to have the announcers around the league dealing with a Faulk and a Falk on the same team. Heck, put them together as second-pair D and really drive people crazy.... :lol:

This is very true.  I was referring to the epic struggle to be miserable.  Far be it from me to stop that.

Sometimes it's best to ignore the oblivious.

The lineup card the coach hands the refs prior to faceoffs.

Is that it? A player doesn't need to see a second of ice time for it to count?

But as far as why not do it: you can only dress 18 skaters for a game, usually 12 forwards and 6 d-men.  You want each player contributing.

Edited by LakeLivin

The lineup card the coach hands the refs prior to faceoffs establishes "game".

On another note, I wish the hyperbole would stop.

Welcome to the off-season.

:beach:

Edited by coastal_caniac

On another note, I wish the hyperbole would stop. 

Yes.  Please keep it to a parabola instead.

When does the season start?  :)

Here's a wild possibility: depending on Wiz's health, it wouldn't shock me if RF offered to extend him for another year at a reduced rate as an expansion bait option should we need it.  I could see Wiz declining, based on both the offered salary and knowing he'd be bait.  Which would mean RF likely needs another expansion eligible d-man, which would make Wiz an odd man out. 

Wild speculation, probably not, but that type of move from RF wouldn't surprise me given the d-men we've already got locked in.  

Edited by LakeLivin

Here's a wild possibility: depending on Wiz's health, it wouldn't shock me if RF offered to extend him for another year at a reduced rate as an expansion bait option should we need it.  I could see Wiz declining, based on both the offered salary and knowing he'd be bait.  Which would mean RF likely needs another expansion eligible d-man, which made Wiz an odd man out. 

Wild speculation, probably not, but that type of move from RF wouldn't surprise me given the d-men we've already got locked in.  

Wiz was just bought out last week. If that was going to happen, it's not anymore.

Wiz was just bought out last week. If that was going to happen, it's not anymore.

Yeah, I meant I wonder if it there's any possibility it actually happened. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Yes.  Please keep it to a parabola instead.

When does the season start?  :)

I guess now.  ;)  I'm trying to figure out how to get to one of the evening skates this week but work is making it difficult.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Skinner Rask Stempniak

Nordstrom Staal Stalberg

Aho Lindholm Teravainen

Bickell McClement Nestrasil

Hanifin Faulk

Slavin Pesce

Hainsey Murphy

Ward

Lack

What's not to like??

Thank you, Jerome.

(And Tennyson is the new Jordan.)

We need a 7th D man anyways, so it would make sense to try to find a bottom pair guy we can put under a cheap contract for 2 years.

But on Murphy, whom I have been theoretically trying to trade all summer, my guess is he gets a serious chance. I'm also guessing that like last off season, he has been training better, and comes in looking pretty good.

1. It is not that hard to hide a bottom pair guy, even if he is not the best.

2. We need at least two options to expose to expansion.

3. Murphy is a servicable RHD,

4. Murphy still has upside. I really feel he will break one way or the other, but one way is to the good. He was drafted due to supposedly elite offensive talent.

5. If Murphy comes in and plays well, and we find another guy to get 35 games, we can keep Murphy, even if is is just to trade him.

ie; if he plays well his trade value will raise.

What's not to like??

Thank you, Jerome.

(And Tennyson is the new Jordan.)

Well, obviously Stempniak is not 1st line talent, but he's still a solid player; and I would like to see him with Skinner.

Is Stalberg top 6 talent?

And is Lindholm ready for center? That's a pretty young 3rd line..

There are still plenty of questions, and I'm sure the lines will be shuffled plenty. Hopefully Gauthier progresses quickly. We really need his size on the RW.

Skinner Rask Stempniak

Nordstrom Staal Stalberg

Aho Lindholm Teravainen

Bickell McClement Nestrasil

Hanifin Faulk

Slavin Pesce

Hainsey Murphy

Ward

Lack

Murphy. They are better when he's not in 80% of the time. I hope this is the year he proves me wrong but his positives haven't outweighed his negatives. Although Charlotte fans may be happy if he's up here more. Really I hope it happens for him but he seems like one of those guys the org keeps hoping and hoping but just don't make it.

Otherwise I'm excited for the season after seeing how peters did last year I'm very optimistic for this year.

Edited by caryhurricanes

jerome87, I agree that we currently have no clue what our eventual lines will be, and with at least 5 new players to look at, no way we have an inkling of their chemistry. Your proposed lines look reasonable, how ever 1 glaring error I see, and I am biased for this player, but you totally left out DiGiusippe? Also, I question Skinner on 1st line, yet I don't know who else to p-lace there?

Is Stalberg top 6 talent?

And is Lindholm ready for center? That's a pretty young 3rd line..

I'm still not sure we're done, but I think the camp dynamics our moves so far have set up are interesting. Bickell, Stemp and Stalberg all have something to prove. I think Stalberg adds experience to that young third line and Stemp fills in on the second for Nesty until they're sure he's ready. Give Skinner, Rask and TT a chance to find some chemistry; they certainly have speed, in spades.