The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I'm still not sure we're done, but I think the camp dynamics our moves so far have set up are interesting. Bickell, Stemp and Stalberg all have something to prove. I think Stalberg adds experience to that young third line and Stemp fills in on the second for Nesty until they're sure he's ready. Give Skinner, Rask and TT a chance to find some chemistry; they certainly have speed, in spades.

We have a lot of very versatile forwards that can play either center or wing. I expect to see the lines change quite a bit but I thoughr Stahlberg was to bolster the 4th line. I don't see him as a top 6 player. The preds learned it the hard way wheb they dropped 4.5m on him.

Edited by bluedevil58

I think anyone that gets overly tied up in who's on the 1st line isn't really smelling what Francis and Peters are stepping in. I don't believe they are building a team of traditional 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. Peters certainly wants to roll 4 lines.

At least that's what I'm hanging my hat on since the team doesn't really have top, 1st line talent.

Edited by super_dave_1

I'm still not sure we're done, but I think the camp dynamics our moves so far have set up are interesting. Bickell, Stemp and Stalberg all have something to prove. I think Stalberg adds experience to that young third line and Stemp fills in on the second for Nesty until they're sure he's ready. Give Skinner, Rask and TT a chance to find some chemistry; they certainly have speed, in spades. 

A line of Skinner Rask TT just sounds...small to me. Seems like that's a line that can be pushed around quite a bit.

jerome87, I agree that we currently have no clue what our eventual lines will be, and with at least 5 new players to look at, no way we have an inkling of their chemistry. Your proposed lines look reasonable, how ever 1 glaring error I see, and I am biased for this player, but you totally left out DiGiusippe? Also, I question Skinner on 1st line, yet I don't know who else to p-lace there?

I like PDG; I'm just not sure where he fits in.

I think anyone that gets overly tied up in who's on the 1st line isn't really smelling what Francis and Peters are stepping in. I don't believe they are building a team of traditional 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. Peters certainly wants to roll 4 lines.

At least that's what I'm hanging my hat on since the team doesn't really have top, 1st line talent.

I see that too Dave. Last season at times it was difficult (for me) to tell the difference between the lines as traditional 1-2-3 lines. The advantage for Peters IMO is he can shift both players and entire lines depending on the opponent and game flow. I do see the fourth line as a more traditional role with the exception that he uses them more than many teams and expects possession time and some scoring chances from them.

I'm excited to see how all this plays out.

OB, but last year Peters was pretty limited as to how he could use the 4th line by the resources he had available, no?  Hopefully this year he has a lot more flexibility . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

I agree 100%. The one thing I hope for is that we can find more consistency in our lines and do not have a change every night. Find something in camp that appears to work and perform minor tweaks when required. I think we will see more of PDG than Bickell, Bickell to be used more against the physical teams.

I do think that some of the no top line thing is out of necessity as much as design.

The one thing everyone wants is secondary scoring, especially from line 3.

In our case we have this line of Nest/J/Nord that can basically hold serve vs the other team's top lines. So, what ever we want to call the other lines, they have to outproduce lines 2 and 3 of the other team.

I do think think we can do that.

Now if we land Duchenne that might change...

Edited by remkin

Yup, rolling four lines and wearing opponents down with relentlessness have been BP's mantras since Day One, and these moves get us closer. That in itself is exciting.

Whether it's Duchene or someone else, I do expect icing on the play. Er, cake!! (Three months?? Really?????)

The hockey dog days of summer.....

I do also think our 4th line could have more scoring punch than ever. Just don't get much scoring out of McClement, but PDG and Stalberg both have more than 4th line pop, and so can Bickell.

I still think at some point we are going to need at least one (ideally two) elite forwards to get to that top tier, but we have fixed depth, and we have a few guys with the potential to be close to, if not elite in the future.

Edited by remkin

OB, but last year Peters was pretty limited as to how he could use the 4th line by the resources he had available, no?  Hopefully this year he has a lot more flexibility . . .

Definitely true. That will be half the fun to see if the system changes to a more traditional or if the system is interchangeable lines for specific challenges.

Rask is nowhere close to being a 1st line center - compare to other teams starting centers - he's just not there.  Skinner plays a shy-away game physically so he's not a first liner either.  We still need top 3 forward help, period. Our best 1st line combo is a 2nd line on the top 10 NHL teams.

No-one is mentioning Julien Gauthier our 1st rounder who scored 41 goals/16 assists last season in the QMJHL which is a superior hockey league loaded with skaters plus the kid is 6'4" and weighs 241 lbs.  Ronnie said after putting his arm around the guy he's NHL ready physically.  Not to mention he is a weightlifting freak on account of his dad/granddad being body builders. Training camp will decide but on paper coming into the league he should be on our roster opening night; willing to stick his nose in the muck.

Elite Prospects Says:

An explosive power forward who boasts an elite-level skill package. Takes nothing for granted and plays with hard-nosed work ethic. Tremendous vision and outstanding hockey sense; thrives under pressure and doesn't stray from the high-percentage play. Willingness to play physical and win battles in his own end makes him a vital asset, stepping up at the game's key moments. Exceptional skating ability allows him to stay with, if not ahead, of each unfolding play. Refined puckhandling skills allow him to maintain puck control at breakneck speeds. All-in-all, a prolific scorer whose attitude and innate abilities will constantly propel him into dominance. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=213464#sthash.O9LWaxaY.dpuf
Edited by raleighcaniac

Rask is nowhere close to being a 1st line center - compare to other teams starting centers - he's just not there.  Skinner plays a shy-away game physically so he's not a first liner either.  We still need top 3 forward help, period. Our best 1st line combo is a 2nd line on the top 10 NHL teams.

No-one is mentioning Julien Gauthier our 1st rounder who scored 41 goals/16 assists last season in the QMJHL which is a superior hockey league loaded with skaters plus the kid is 6'4" and weighs 241 lbs.  Ronnie said after putting his arm around the guy he's NHL ready physically.  Not to mention he is a weightlifting freak on account of his dad/granddad being body builders. Training camp will decide but on paper coming into the league he should be on our roster opening night; willing to stick his nose in the muck.

Elite Prospects Says:

An explosive power forward who boasts an elite-level skill package. Takes nothing for granted and plays with hard-nosed work ethic. Tremendous vision and outstanding hockey sense; thrives under pressure and doesn't stray from the high-percentage play. Willingness to play physical and win battles in his own end makes him a vital asset, stepping up at the game's key moments. Exceptional skating ability allows him to stay with, if not ahead, of each unfolding play. Refined puckhandling skills allow him to maintain puck control at breakneck speeds. All-in-all, a prolific scorer whose attitude and innate abilities will constantly propel him into dominance. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=213464#sthash.O9LWaxaY.dpuf

If Gauthier was top 9 ready, that would be a huge help. In many ways, I'm more excited about Gauthier than I am Bean.

Edited by jeromeo87

Elite Prospects Says:

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if RF knows something about Gauthier - okay a lot of things - we don't! His highlight reel is impressive.

I just think the org is reluctant to put anyone straight from Juniors to the show. I think both the Lindholm and Murphy experiences scared them off doing so except in the rarest of cases (Noah Hanifin), and rightly so. The Q isn't a bad league, but there's zero emphasis on D (as Bean's highlight reel, which featured not one defensive play, shows).

Unless Gauthier just kills it in camp and preseason, I have to think the plan is to start him in CLT, and if he can be dominant in the AHL right from the jump and for his first half-season, maybe he gets puts on the fast track.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if RF knows something about Gauthier - okay a lot of things - we don't! His highlight reel is impressive.

I just think the org is reluctant to put anyone straight from Juniors to the show. I think both the Lindholm and Murphy experiences scared them off doing so except in the rarest of cases (Noah Hanifin), and rightly so. The Q isn't a bad league, but there's zero emphasis on D (as Bean's highlight reel, which featured not one defensive play, shows).

Unless Gauthier just kills it in camp and preseason, I have to think the plan is to start him in CLT, and if he can be dominant in the AHL right from the jump and for his first half-season, maybe he gets puts on the fast track.

I agree with your last comment that he may start off in the AHL and make the jump to Raleigh if he's playing well down there - if he doesn't find a spot on the big team right out of camp. I don't think you can use the Lindholm/Murphy reasoning in this instance for why he should start in Charlotte first.  Those two were boys in boys bodies (maybe still are) trying to play with men whereas Gauthier is a boy playing in a mans body - a big mans body. You won't see him getting swatted around with no fight like Lindholm has the last couple of years. I would go so far as to say Lindholm should start this season in Charlotte and if he plays well then bring him up.  His confidence last season was zero, why will it be any better 7 months later this October?  He needs to earn it or play 4th line minutes this season or sit in the press box and feel the sting...As for Bean he is a boy who isn't ready for the mens league yet (NHL).  Bean played in the WHL not QMJHL last season.

Edited by raleighcaniac

raleighcaniac, hate to point out the obvious, but just the post ahead, there was a completion of several exchanges which seem to indicate to me, as well as several previous posters, based on this coach's words and actions for the past 1 1/2 years, that apparently recognizing a perpetual weakness in the Canes, he is getting away from the "traditional 4 line concept". Now I'm not trying to be insulting, and for the most part, I agree with your thoughts on Rask, but if we are transitioning to constant 4 line pressure, with ability to score on all 4, than Rask doesn't have to be a "1st line center".

kjunkane I'm not insulted. This is an opinion based forum where no-one has a clue what management is thinking or saying internally. All posts here are speculation driven at best.  BP says nothing publicly just like Ronnie.  They feed a few teasers here and there thats it. Are the Canes preparing for a 4 line game v top line, 2nd line, 3rd line, 4th line game? Who knows? Certainly nobody here knows unless you bank on "several exchanges from previous posters" talk.  I don't. Its good if Rask doesn't have to be a first line center because he isn't one - not even close. No matter if a team says it plays a 4 line pressure game where all lines contribute don't ever think that there isn't a top line and second line that you turn to to score the majority of goals.

Edited by raleighcaniac

kjunkane I'm not insulated. This is an opinion based forum where no-one has a clue what management is thinking or saying internally. All posts here are speculation driven at best.  Are the Canes preparing for a 4 line game v top line and on down style line up? Who knows? Certainly nobody here unless you bank on speculation. Its good if Rask doesn't have to be a first line center because he isn't one - not even close.

Based on what Francis says, we know nothing. He doesn't ever, say, anything. All I have to go on is what I see, and that's a team built to win without superstars. If that means rolling 4 quality lines with specific abilities, then I'm down if that results in wins. With the right players and coaching, two second lines and two third lines may be as good or better than a first, second, third, and fourth.

#Moneypuck

Edited by super_dave_1

Can he play in Charlotte?  He's only 18.

We have a lot of very versatile forwards that can play either center or wing. I expect to see the lines change quite a bit but I thoughr Stahlberg was to bolster the 4th line. I don't see him as a top 6 player. The preds learned it the hard way wheb they dropped 4.5m on him.

I don't know if anyone made this connection yet, I don't remember...

But doing some research, it appears that Stalberg and Bickell played together on the 3rd line for Chicago, and it was considered a dominating 3rd line (along with Shaw).

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-13/sports/ct-spt-0214-blackhawks-chicago--20130214_1_viktor-stalberg-bryan-bickell-dave-bolland

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/05/02/hoge-on-the-hawks-third-line-playing-with-something-to-prove/

So perhaps this was also a chemistry move that was attempted.

Also, he has been and played "middle 6" for the Rangers and was liked by the fan base pretty universally, they were upset that they didn't fee up for a similar $ amount when we signed him.

He's not 4th line.

I don't know if anyone made this connection yet, I don't remember...

But doing some research, it appears that Stalberg and Bickell played together on the 3rd line for Chicago, and it was considered a dominating 3rd line (along with Shaw).

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-13/sports/ct-spt-0214-blackhawks-chicago--20130214_1_viktor-stalberg-bryan-bickell-dave-bolland

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/05/02/hoge-on-the-hawks-third-line-playing-with-something-to-prove/

So perhaps this was also a chemistry move that was attempted.

Also, he has been and played "middle 6" for the Rangers and was liked by the fan base pretty universally, they were upset that they didn't fee up for a similar $ amount when we signed him.

He's not 4th line.

Fits right in there if you are going to roll 4 lines consistently.

On Gauthier, there is a ton of discussion on him in the draft thread.

Several of us, myself included are very optimistic about him, and Francis did quip at the draft that he's big enough and skates well enough to play in the NHL now. But I don't see him being ready in terms of hockey IQ, and overall game. He does have a lot of skill though, so, I guess you never know. 

The Q is a good league, but my understanding is that defense is softer, and goals are a bit inflated there. Still, he put up a ton even with that considered. If you go to the draft thread there is video showing an impressive array of offensive skills too.

Also, he is a power forward, not an elite playmaker, so the task could be more doable.

He cannot play in the AHL until he hits 20, so it's NHL or Juniors.

Aho will make this team. Francis has all but said it. If you start counting forwards there really isn't room for Gauthier. I guess if he comes in and blows the doors off we could make a trade, but I really think he's back in juniors this year. If true, I would watch his year in Juniors and tournaments because he could have a decent shot next year.

Edited by remkin

I don't care what you call him (1st liner, etc.), but what's on my wish list is another elite scorer.  I'm defining that as someone who, in addition to putting up points within the system, occasionally creates goals on his own.  Ignoring our new additions (since I'm not familiar with them enough to judge), I see Skinner as the only Cane that's likely to occasionally steal us a point or 2 on his own.  And like a goalie stealing a game, just a couple of extra points generated by a player like that could make a huge difference at the end of the regular season when a playoff spot is on the line.

On Gauthier: can we send him to Finland to play in the men's league there?  Think of how much better he'll fit in with the Canes when he returns after picking up a bit of the Finnish language. :P