The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I just really wonder if any of the top forwards in UFA will end up making sense in their deals.

I like Loui Eriksson. He is a 65 point, guy with 30 goal, 70 point potential. He is used in all situations. He is a plus 59 for his career, (a 119 point swing from Okposo). But the guy is 31 in July. He reportedly wants 5 years, $6 million. His past production is worth all of that. But the acquiring team get 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 year old Loui. Can he keep that production up? 

Milan Lucic would be an intriguing addition to a team in need of toughness and grit to go with it's Skinner. But he only put up 44 points this year despite playing 81 games. He's put up 60 multiple times though...he's "only" 28 in July. But he's probably looking for term, increasing the risk. Plus, he's been in Boston and LA and is begging LA to keep him on. Does not seem like he'd be thrilled with Raleigh.

I will say that this particular team could probably use Lucic's intangibles, and especially if we could find a pure skill play-making type through trade or draft etc, could be even better to have.

A. Ladd. Good, but declining? Stamkos? Yeah right.

Am I missing someone?

I tend to get the feeling that unless a guy really has a hankering for Raleigh, we are much more likely to wait till post frenzy, and the guys on this list might be gone...

Edited by remkin

Sure, just listing the top guys at forward and goal:

Stamkos

Backes

Okposo

Lucic

Ladd

Staal

Eriksson

Hudler

Reimer

Ward

A reasonable overpayment for a guy like Okposo would not be the worst thing that could happen. He's a RW which is a position of need. He scores, which is a position of need.

A reasonable overpayment for a guy like Okposo would not be the worst thing that could happen. He's a RW which is a position of need. He scores, which is a position of need.

Yeah, I tend to agree, but the analytics that Rem pointed out makes me question his fit here to a degree.

Seeing that BP is a system guy who wants speed, but also preaches defensive responsibility (re: Skinner, as the prime example), would the Hurricanes want to take the risk on Okposo? I'd be worried that his offensive production would slide even more by trying to work on his defense, let alone not having an elite center like Tavares to feed him.

Second, would Okposo even want to sign with a team that is going to insist that he work on eliminating turnovers and bad decisions?

He's a RW, he's under 30, he's productive and hard-nosed. That alone makes him worth a look, but that other stuff?

Ward is a nice guy and a class act but is he worth his current salary?

Very few would answer that question in the affirmative.  It's kind of sad that Reimer is the only other goaltender on rem's list.  Maybe we need a new poll asking if people would trade Faulk for a goaltender...

Very few would answer that question in the affirmative.  It's kind of sad that Reimer is the only other goaltender on rem's list.  Maybe we need a new poll asking if people would trade Faulk for a goaltender...

Guess Francis needs to go shopping for a goal tender before the start of the season.

Ward is a nice guy and a class act but is he worth his current salary?

Wrong question imo.  Ward has indicated that he really wants to stay in Raleigh and is almost assuredly open to a significant cut in salary.  Or at the very least, open to a deep discount from what anyone else will pay him, and that's not going to be anywhere near his current contract amount. 

I see the relevant questions as follows:

• Do we want Ward as our #1 goalie going forward?
  • If not, can we work out details that work for him as a backup (or maybe 1-B )?
  • Can RF get a better option at a price he's willing to pay?         
Edited by LakeLivin

I don't know if you can get it all done in one off season; two reliable 20+ goal scoring wingers and/or a tough as shyza winger to protect our young boys.  All that PLUS a starting goalie to replace Cam.  Not impossible but probably unlikely.  Agree with some others here that there is zero marquee value in coming to Raleigh if your a Grade A free agent and can get what you want from a top six team shopping for your talent.   I would focus on goal scoring wingers this off season.  I know goal tending wins cups but in fairness to Cam who had an average year (and Lack) how many goals were scored because of the other 5 Canes on the ice who left the Keeper out to dry. 

I don't know if you can get it all done in one off season; two reliable 20+ goal scoring wingers and/or a tough as shyza winger to protect our young boys.  All that PLUS a starting goalie to replace Cam.  Not impossible but probably unlikely.  Agree with some others here that there is zero marquee value in coming to Raleigh if your a Grade A free agent and can get what you want from a top six team shopping for your talent.   I would focus on goal scoring wingers this off season.  I know goal tending wins cups but in fairness to Cam who had an average year (and Lack) how many goals were scored because of the other 5 Canes on the ice who left the Keeper out to dry. 

You had me right up until you got to Lack. Eddie hung himself out to dry far too often, with juicy rebounds I could have scored on. From here.  :lol: That said, I don't think Cam and Eddie stole more than three games between them. That is nowhere near good enough, and if they'd managed about five more we're probably dancing right now. (Until tonight, anyway, when the Caps would complete their sweep of us instead of Philly.)

But we do agree - and this what I've been saying - that making the three moves you talk about is a tall order. That's why I think we sign a top FA (maybe an Okposo) even if it means overpaying him a bit, and hope that from among Aho, Saarela, Zykov, McGinn and Brown somebody is ready to take the next step. Okposo is tough and can score the puck, and regarding his defensive issues, I think BP straightens him out on that real quick, just as he did Skinner. 

Then I make goaltending my priority. I make Cam my 1-A and cap his workload at 32 games or so, and I go out and get a #1. Those two things - a top FA and a #1 keeper - seem possible at least, and (I think) address the two issues that kept us out of the playoffs this year. And as others have said, I think getting in next year has to be a top priority.

Then again, we're talking about RF, who has already shown promise as a dealmaker. If anybody can get these three deals done (and probably more), it's him, and I think just coming to play for him is attractive to a lot of guys, plus for the guy coaching Team Canada this year. Have to think schmoozing and talking up what's happening here is high on BP's priority list during that stint.

Just to throw another issue into the mix: what if Jordan wants out? Gut reaction is "bad" of course. But is it? We lose another NTC and gain another $6 million. Yes, he was great, our stud forward this year. But if he doesn't want to be here, do we want him here, either?

Edited by top-shelf-1

I really really hope, and think, that Jordan stays. But if he doesn't he may have upped his trade value a LOT with his play this year.

Jordan for Draisaitl. Jordan for RNH and Oilers first pick NOT lottery protected. etc. Jordan for Duchene and their pick, etc.

I would rather have Jordan here than just about any player save Hanifin. But if he had to go, he would return a lot, I think. Speculation of course, but still.

Last year? No. In a way, if it breaks this way, his massive improvement offensively the latter half of this year, could just get us near peak for him.

Of course, as always, there is that pesky little NTC hampering max return....

I still think he stays though.

Edited by remkin

I still think he stays though.

If his heart is fully in it, I hope he stays. If not, I hope he's honest about it and moves on.

My fear is that his "disappointment" that Eric isn't here persuades RF to bring Eric back.

Please. God. No. 

If his heart is fully in it, I hope he stays. If not, I hope he's honest about it and moves on.

I just think the reality is that all 3 Staals will realize that they can't manipulate GMs to get them into the same city. It's a fairy tale story, but there are financial limits on what teams can do. Is a team going to give up assets to attain JStaal and then have to go out and sign an EStaal just to make everybody feel warm and fuzzy?

It's a business, and they're all big boys. I think it will all work out.

I once thought EStaal would be back, but I don't feel that way any more. Maybe that's because I'm ready too move on. If management looks at him for what he currently is, and wants him back in that role, at an appropriate price...then I'm fine with that (and I'm sure that management is relieved to know that they have my approval). They know what his behind the scenes value is to the team and the youth that we don't know.

Edited by super_dave_1

Frankly I think management got him out the door and locked the door on his way out. If Eric was simply rented, we sure handled it differently then when Wesley was rented.

I'd say RF as well but he was retiring. 

I just think the reality is that all 3 Staals will realize that they can't manipulate GMs to get them into the same city. It's a fairy tale story, but there are financial limits on what teams can do. Is a team going to give up assets to attain JStaal and then have to go out and sign an EStaal just to make everybody feel warm and fuzzy?

It's a business, and they're all big boys. I think it will all work out.

I once thought EStaal would be back, but I don't feel that way any more. Maybe that's because I'm ready too move on. If management looks at him for what he currently is, and wants him back in that role, at an appropriate price...then I'm fine with that (and I'm sure that management is relieved to know that they have my approval). They know what his behind the scenes value is to the team and the youth that we don't know.

Yeah, you and I reached the same conclusion from different starting points. I was sure when he left, once RF spoke about term as the problem, that he wouldn't be back. I'm still *pretty* sure he won't. But with Jordan's stated "disappointment," and IF Eric would accept a shorter term and third-line minutes (as he has in NY), I have to wonder. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

So far it seems that Eric has been non-existent and not a factor at all in the games.  Ranger fans are cursing the trade right about now.  I don't think Eric ever truly recovered from that knee injury a year or two back.

So no longer 'fleeced'?

Agreed about the fairy tale.  If they all want to be on the same team so badly, then they should offer to renegotiate their contracts to where they're all making $2/3m a year for a short term so a team can afford to have all of them and then lose them if it doesn't work out.  If they require staying together, then (i don't know how it all works, but to be sure there's a way to) require limited NTC's where they'll accept any trade as long as they all go to the same team again.  A number of GMs would probably jump at the chance to have 3 Staals for less than $10m a year (hell, i'd even consider it if i'm RF).  Hell, if they all sign for $2.5m, i'm sure some GM would even take Jared as well and sit him in the pressbox and have all 4 for $10m a year.

But it'll never happen with the money they're making now...

If it were the media speculating about Jordan wanting to leave instead of fans on this board I'd accuse them of trying to create a story.  To my ears at least, the positive things he's said about the team and it's direction are greater than the disappointment he's noted about E leaving (usually in response to a direct question from the media).  I'd have been more surprised if he didn't express any disappointment about E; it's his brother and Jordan is human.  I fully expect Jordan to be back at full potential once the season starts next fall.  

Edited by LakeLivin