The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Bean played in the WHL not QMJHL last season.

I don't think you've studied Lindholm's history fully. He has been put in top-line roles waaaaaay too soon, and played in a much better league prior to doing so. Study what he did in Europe against men. You're saying Gauthier will make it b/c he's a man already--but he was playing against boys, and barely got PPG numbers in a league where top prospects get 1.5 PPG consistently. The Q and WHL are both Canadian Junior Leagues--and no defense is played in either of them.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love Gauthier to make the team out of camp. But the AHL is a big step up from the Q for anybody--and the NHL is a huge one.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Apologies if this has been posted but I'm late to see that Riley Nash signed with Boston for 900,000K per - two years.  Not surprising to see him catch on elsewhere fairly quickly.

Can he play in Charlotte?  He's only 18.

Yes. 18 by Sept 15 of the season about to begin is the rule. He'll turn 19 on 10/15 of this year. He's also completed three full seasons in Juniors.

Can he play in Charlotte?  He's only 18.

Yes. 18 by Sept 15 of the season about to begin is the rule. He'll turn 19 on 10/15 of this year. He's also completed three full seasons in Juniors.

Unfortunately no.  I'm pretty sure top is quoting the AHL by-laws, but not taking into account the age agreement clause with the CHL.

Any player already playing for a team in the CHL when he is drafted will be ineligible to play for the minor professional leagues until he is 20 (by December 31st of that season) or has played four seasons in the CHL.

Apologies if this has been posted but I'm late to see that Riley Nash signed with Boston for 900,000K per - two years.  Not surprising to see him catch on elsewhere fairly quickly.

I looked in on the Bruins fan forum since they picked up both Liles and Nash.

Most are very happy with the Nash signing, thinking he's a cheap, solid 4th line center who can fill in for spot 3rd line duty as needed.

The feeling about Liles is split, especially at a price of $2m. 

I wouod have preferred to waive or buyour McClemment and have Nash center the 4th line. McClemment is just terrible.

Can't argue with you there, but i got the vibe from RF's press conference that there were issues of some kind with Nash.  All i can imagine with McClement is that provides a lot of leadership - he certainly doesn't bring a lot of game.  Or maybe RF simply couldn't find anyone who would take him and he didn't want to buy out another contract.  Hopefully he's nothing more than a 13th forward and we don't see him play much this season.

realm, hadn't seen that blurb, but have to think there was something amiss with this player, even though he was one of my favorites? His personal life must have also been problematic, as he apparently separated, if not divorced his wife and if I'm not mistaken, they had 4 kids. Now don't get me wrong, as I don't hold that fact against him, having been divorced myself, but just wonder if that outside the arena turmoil might have affected his on ice play?

I think McClement is fine in that role, and unlike bd58, do not think he is "horrible", although not much of a scoring threat, however I have a sneaky suspicion that Bickell might just surprise us (at least I hope he will).

On Nash, we hashed that all out earlier on here, but I had also wanted to see him back and McClement moved. Nash has almost twice as much offense in him. But McClement is signed and there seemed to be some terseness in Francis press conference about Nash.

Gauthier cannot play in the AHL. Theoretically he could go to Europe. Auston Mathews did it. Very uncommon though, and pretty unlikely.

While physically ready, I think no on the total game being ready, and rushing him, also, there is at the moment, no spots open for a scoring forward. Time will tell, but I just don't see it barring injury, and probably not even then.

Unfortunately no.  I'm pretty sure top is quoting the AHL by-laws, but not taking into account the age agreement clause with the CHL.

Gauthier cannot play in the AHL. 

Thanks for the correction, guys. I completely forgot about the NHL-CHL collusion rule designed to guarantee the further enrichment of CHL owners, who are already getting their players practically for free. Another stellar feature of Bill Watters' beloved "our sport." And another reason for our scouts to focus on Europe and the NCAA.

Edited by top-shelf-1

On Nash, we hashed that all out earlier on here.

I know that but I thought it was interesting he took a haircut from what he was making here.  I also think he was way over-valued here from what he actually brought to the team.

I also think it's funny people are trying to cook up some reason he wasn't resigned other than this:

Riley Nash - versatile but inconsistent (scores goals in spurts) fourth liner who can kill penalties.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Can't argue with you there, but i got the vibe from RF's press conference that there were issues of some kind with Nash.  All i can imagine with McClement is that provides a lot of leadership - he certainly doesn't bring a lot of game.  Or maybe RF simply couldn't find anyone who would take him and he didn't want to buy out another contract.  Hopefully he's nothing more than a 13th forward and we don't see him play much this season.

I think he's our 4th line and 1st PK unit C whether we like it or not. I personally am fine with it. Yes, Nash plays a much more offensively minded style and I'd have preferred to keep him around, but as others have observed, something appears off between him and the boss.

Still, with McClement you know what you get: a fourth line C who wins faceoffs (55.3 percent, 25th best in the league). Faceoff wins are important on the PK and for the traditional role of the 4th line (throwing the opposition's scoring lines off balance). We took a step back on the PK last year (especially in the first half) after it was nothing short of great in '14-'15. I think the hope is that giving McC some new guys to work with might get it back to where it was.

Overall, we did everything badly in the first half of last season. The D wasn't settled, the PK was bad, goaltending was streaky (to put it kindly) and we (still) had little semblance of a PP. I think most of us were encouraged by the three-game win streak to close October, but November is where we lost our shot at the playoffs. With all the culture and personnel changes that have now occurred, this is really the last big hurdle: Getting out of the gate fast. It's gotta happen every year, and though both RF and BP play things close to the vest, both have been plenty vocal on that.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I would love to see that rule changed to at least allow for 1st round picks to be assigned to the AHL if desired. I get that they don't want to strip the CHL, but sending a kid like Gauthier back to juniors probably does not maximize his growth as a player.

Edited by super_dave_1

I would love to see that rule changed to at least allow for 1st round picks to be assigned to the AHL if desired. I get that they don't want to strip the CHL, but sending a kid like Gauthier back to juniors probably does not maximize his growth as a player.

Yup. But maximizing player growth i$n't why the rule exi$t$.

If the age eligibility for the AHL is 18, it should apply to all players. If the CHL doesn't like it, too bad. But that ain't gonna happen.

I know that but I thought it was interesting he took a haircut from what he was making here.  I also think he was way over-valued here from what he actually brought to the team.

I also think it's funny people are trying to cook up some reason he wasn't resigned other than this:

Riley Nash - versatile but inconsistent (scores goals in spurts) fourth liner who can kill penalties.

It is indeed. I agree that Nash is nothing to fret about. Just that we get so little offense from McClement. He is a very solid player and does the little things, and we don't need a lot of scoring from the 4th line, but without a prototypical first line or super elite forwards, out best shot this year would seem to be depth of scoring, especially the "bottom 6". I like other moves to shore that up, I just wish McClement brought a touch more offense.

Edited by remkin

Not only "does not maximize", but wonder if it might even stunt their growth top? I know what I'm about to suggest would likely be viewed by some as underhanded, and to our Canadian brethren as heresy, but could someone in an organization gently suggest to a player in that position that bolting to Europe might be the more direct course to the NHL? Not like there are no underhanded situations going on behind the scene often.  

Yup. But maximizing player growth i$n't why the rule exi$t$.

Well, at first I had put "stunts" growth, but then I changed it. The rule is only to keep the CHL propped up financially. CHL is basically the NCAA without all the pesky scholastic stuff to get in the way. Except of course that the American pro leagues don't care when they strip talent away.

Well, at first I had put "stunts" growth, but then I changed it. The rule is only to keep the CHL propped up financially. CHL is basically the NCAA without all the pesky scholastic stuff to get in the way. Except of course that the American pro leagues don't care when they strip talent away.

Exactly. It's basically the Hoop Dreams of hockey, as this piece outlines: http://thehockeywriters.com/its-time-to-fix-the-canadian-hockey-league/

Exactly. It's basically the Hoop Dreams of hockey, as this piece outlines: http://thehockeywriters.com/its-time-to-fix-the-canadian-hockey-league/

Interesting article top.

I've been railing against the 20 yo absolute rule forever on here. There ought to be some kind of exemption for each team.

Probably the ideal thing would be a split. Go back to Juniors for the first half of the year, then have an exemption for one player per team to have the option to go AHL. But of course that kind of leaves the Junior team hanging, but it happens to the AHL vs NHL and in minor league baseball all the time. Just the nature of running a minor league team.

Anyway, at least change the age to 19.

I don't see a change happening as long as hockey continues to become a US sport (financially) rather than a Canadian sport (the whole this is our game thing).

Exactly. Controlling the Jr. leagues' profitability is Canada's way of reaping profits from the sport in the smaller markets in that country, and it isn't going to be told how to run "its sport." Unless... 

a finding of unfair labor practices could be obtained against a WHL team in this country - Seattle, Portland, Spokane. That might force change in Canada, but as the article says, the state of Washington was denied gate revenue info when it tried to investigate. Why it didn't issue a subpoena probably says as much about the value of Jr. hockey to local economies in the US as in Canada, and shows how few apparently seem to care whether players earn more than an allowance or get a proper education.

NHL.com has us as one of the top 5 most improved teams in the eastern conference.  Here is the article:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-eastern-conferences-most-improved-teams/c-281115894

It is interesting that they would pick us. TT was a slick move and a great pickup, but Stempniak a bit more under the radar, and really can't expect much from Bickell. To me those moves held us steady from the loss of  E and Versteeg, but the improvements will come from young guys picking their games up, which is kind of subtle and not usually the stuff that gets the media types picking you.

Not only "does not maximize", but wonder if it might even stunt their growth top? I know what I'm about to suggest would likely be viewed by some as underhanded, and to our Canadian brethren as heresy, but could someone in an organization gently suggest to a player in that position that bolting to Europe might be the more direct course to the NHL? Not like there are no underhanded situations going on behind the scene often.  

Sometimes I wish that there was the same sort of "loan" possibility in hockey like there exists in European soccer. That way, if a team drafted someone like Gauthier who is clearly physically ready for the NHL but needs work on skating or hockey IQ or whatever, they could be loaned to a team in Finland or Sweden or Switzerland for a season.

The downside, of course, is that the team would have to sign the player to their ELC and waste a year of it with them in Europe, as opposed to having the player sign directly with a Euro team and preserve that year of ELC.