The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I was just looking at the Contract Chart page on the Canes site.  Right now Ryan Murphy is in the "In the system" list, not the "Hurricanes roster" list.  Looks like Faulk, Hainsey, Slavin, Pesce, and Hanifin are locks, and slots 6 and 7 are up for grabs at Camp.

Murphy isn't signed yet, so I think that is why.  Correct?

Murphy isn't signed yet, so I think that is why.  Correct?

Except that Victor Rask is also qualified, but not signed, and he's still listed on the Canes' roster.

Except that Victor Rask is also qualified, but not signed, and he's still listed on the Canes' roster.

I was going to say it might just have been that he wasn't on the NHL roster at the end of the season, but Aho.  Don't know.  Count me as one of those, however, who thought Murphy actually looked like he halfway belonged last year up until the concussion.  Not a world-beater i mean, but halfway belonged.

I was going to say it might just have been that he wasn't on the NHL roster at the end of the season, but Aho.  Don't know.  Count me as one of those, however, who thought Murphy actually looked like he halfway belonged last year up until the concussion.  Not a world-beater i mean, but halfway belonged.

The "roster" page shows guys who were on the roster at the end of the season and are under contract or have QOs (thus Rask). It also includes guys we've added through trades since the season ended, thus TT, Bickell, Stemp, Stalberg and Tennyson's inclusion.

"In the system" is everyone else.

Edited by top-shelf-1

So after Development Camp, I got to thinking about something.

The number of forwards on the team, or in the system, who are young and have large potential upside. It is unprecedented for this team.

This is why I've been saying that while it would be nice to add a top-tier guy like an Okposo, we can be just fine without one. The paradigm has shifted in this org; this is NOT the "we like our group" Canes, where guys from Plymouth got a chance because--well, they were from Plymouth.

This team is now hiring proven pros and guys with the clear potential to be. We're getting them at the best possible price - ELCs - and telling them they must EARN their ice time, where in the past they got it by default.

If the pros and prospects we've assembled can get us to the dance this year, the lasting, character- and team-building realities of that are hard to overstate. The better news is that even if they miss, it won't be for lack of effort or talent, and that cohesion will still have occurred and will be place going forward. That is a wholesale change that has been a long time coming--and one that was never going to happen until JR got the heck out of Dodge.

Edited by top-shelf-1

The "roster" page shows guys who were on the roster at the end of the season and are under contract or have QOs (thus Rask). It also includes guys we've added through trades since the season ended, thus TT, Bickell, Stemp, Stalberg and Tennyson's inclusion.

Murphy was qualified and he's "in the system", not on the "roster" part of that chart.  I think it's just a mistake by the webmaster.

Murphy was qualified and he's "in the system", not on the "roster" part of that chart.  I think it's just a mistake by the webmaster.

I said the same thing but then deleted my post because i realized he said 'on the roster at the end of the season and have QOs.  Either way, though, i don't think we can read anything into it - the webmaster has no early information because i seriously doubt RF or BP themselves have made the decision.  If he wasn't still in the mix, even if at the bottom of the barrel, he wouldn't have been qualified.

Except Aho is in the roster section.   Not that it matters.  Top kid gets the #6 slot, unless GMRF can fleece a Cap strapped team out of a top 6 dman during the summer.

Except Aho is in the roster section.   Not that it matters.  Top kid gets the #6 slot, unless GMRF can fleece a Cap strapped team out of a top 6 dman during the summer.

You're right, not that it matters -- but Aho is not listed in the roster section. Which is why I concluded you had to be on the roster for the last game and under contract or offered a QO, or be a pickup through trade, to be listed on the roster now.

Agree with Realm, though, it's not about inside info on the part of the webmaster, just the standards dictating which list s/he puts guys on.

Eeesh. Ours days are reduced to this :lol: DROP THE PUCK!!

Edited by top-shelf-1

This is why I've been saying that while it would be nice to add a top-tier guy like an Okposo, we can be just fine without one. The paradigm has shifted in this org; this is NOT the "we like our group" Canes, where guys from Plymouth got a chance because--well, they were from Plymouth.

This team is now hiring proven pros and guys with the clear potential to be. We're getting them at the best possible price - ELCs - and telling them they must EARN their ice time, where in the past they got it by default.

If the pros and prospects we've assembled can get us to the dance this year, the lasting, character- and team-building realities of that are hard to overstate. The better news is that even if they miss, it won't be for lack of effort or talent, and that cohesion will still have occurred and will be place going forward. That is a wholesale change that has been a long time coming--and one that was never going to happen until JR got the heck out of Dodge.

It's kind of sneaky how in the midst of all the first round, first picking of defensemen, then the surprise hits of Pesce and Slavin, Francis has used the expiring contracts and good drafting to assemble forward prospects also.

I think back to when our prime prospects in the system were Boychuk, Dalpe and Bowman and....well that's probably about it. To the list I posted. If all of Saarela, Aho, Zykov, Gauthier, Roy, Kuokken, arrive as advertised? Wow.

All this angst is why it was so good to see some hockey at the arena on Saturday, even if it was just prospect camp.

I was streaming it here at home and some butz hit a utility pole down the street about 5 mins in. My network and everything else in the house was down for two hours. Pffftt.

I'm actually considering watching "Benders." 

Canes fans are ready to explode.

I pity the the team that faces us in PNC when we make the dance this season.

It's going to be pretty funny if we make the dance this season. There is another good article on NHL.com about us. It states that TT could put.up 60 points this season.

In past years the thesis for playoffs included certain veterans getting to a level at least near where they'd been before. They didn't. Now the thesis is about a bunch of young players progressing.

But what we have now is legitimately talented young players. Watching TT a few times the last couple of years, this is a high talent guy. Same w/ Aho and Gauthier for sure, and it sounds like a few others too.

But there is hidden potential in guys like Rask but especially Lindholm. If Lindholm gets his lower body into shape he could really hit his stride this year. There is definitely 60 point potential in him. Rask too.

Most prognosticators just don't factor that kind of stuff in. But if TT, Lindholm and Rask up their games and Aho is anywhere near expectations, that's a lot of improvement right there.

Stick with the plan.

What I see Francis doing is a long term plan for sustainable success. Some here are ready for him to change lanes, but the cruise control is set. Edmonton has been drafting forwards on their fruitless rebuild since 2006. Francis knows the importance of drafting defense (which JR never got) and that to build long term sustainable success that he just can't afford a bad contract in a budget market with a half full building.

He added 3 veteran forwards and a talented young player over the summer to a team that was competitive last year. If the utes continue their assent to their peak contribution age of about 28 years old, we should be positioned quite well going forward. I'd rather hope for a 21 year old to improve than a 32 year old to find the Fountain of Youth.

That is a lot of writing to say "stick with the plan", but it wasn't Remesque at least. (insert smilie face here)

Edited by super_dave_1

What I see Francis doing is a long term plan for sustainable success. Some here are ready for him to change lanes, but the cruise control is set. Edmonton has been drafting forwards on their fruitless rebuild since 2006. Francis knows the importance of drafting defense (which JR never got) and that to build long term sustainable success that he just can't afford a bad contract in a budget market with a half full building.

When JR obtained J. Staal, it was a surprise.  When Dumoline was announced as part of the deal, it was a disaster.  I mean, WT_ JR?

Wow, I'm a bit surprised at length and $ on that deal.  He better keep taking steps up and not backwards with his production. As long as he does that than he is well worth it.  I just don't 100% trust that he is going to be a consistent 50plus point scorer.  Guess RF has to take a little Risk somewhere to solidify a team. This was a good spot to do it.  I can't wait to see him this year, should be a big one for him.