The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

A good signing and a good sign. I too was a little surprised at the length of the contract (only because RF hasn't signed long term deals) but at the same time encouraged. It shows RF is willing to sign a longer deal with a player he believes is worth it and a part of the team long term.

and happy RF got this done and it didn't drag out over the summer.

I wonder if the Rask signing might have been one where the term positions in the negotiation were actually reversed from the typical?  Think about it this way if you're negotiating around a salary at $4m/yr:

Rask at 6 yrs means you're locking him in at $4m/ yr for the 2 seasons starting with 2021/22 when he'll be 27 and 28 years old, pretty much peak production for the typical NHL forward.  

Rask at 4 years means you're negotiating with him 4 years down the road at the inflated NHL salary rate at that time, plus after Rask has presumably upped his game (hopefully considerably). 

Obviously it's a matter of risk/ reward for both sides.  But depending on how a player projects his career growth, I can see how some players would have preferred a 4yr $16m deal to a 6yr $24m deal, while the team felt the opposite. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 13m13 minutes ago

Canes' Victor Rask says he feels "really good" about the new contract. "This is where I want to be. We have something really good going on."

Rask said the only goal he has set for next season is getting Canes in the playoffs. "We've made some good trades, draft picks."

:thumbsup2:

I wonder if the Rask signing might have been one where the term positions in the negotiation were actually reversed from the typical?  Think about it this way if you're negotiating around a salary at $4m/yr:

Rask at 6 yrs means you're locking him in at $4m/ yr for the 2 seasons starting with 2021/22 when he'll be 27 and 28 years old, pretty much peak production for the typical NHL forward.  

Rask at 4 years means you're negotiating with him 4 years down the road at the inflated NHL salary rate at that time, plus after Rask has presumably upped his game (hopefully considerably). 

Obviously it's a matter of risk/ reward for both sides.  But depending on how a player projects his career growth, I can see how some players would have preferred a 4yr $16m deal to a 6yr $24m deal, while the team felt the opposite. 

Shorter Lake: This is the ultimate carrot-and-stick type deal. 

If Rask becomes that player we all believe he can be, he gets his big reward at the peak of his career--and if we can't match or beat what others might be offering, we've gotten lots of years at a good number.

It's becoming clear that RF's plan is to study everything JR did--and do the opposite.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'm also surprised at the length since this is RF's first 3+ year signing, but if GM Realm were to sign anyone on this team for that length it would probably be Rask.  I see nothing about an NTC/NMC in that brief - i'm hoping (and expecting) that's because there isn't one, not because they just failed to mention it.  And that's actually a huge consideration because 6 years is way too long to be saddled with a player if he takes a step or three back (such as more than one of JR's signings did) at a later point in his contract.

I thought JR had given Faulk too much, too soon when he did his deal. That has turned out to be one of the few good things JR did at the end of his reign of terror. While the bridge deal is cheaper in the short run, but the deals to buy some of the early UFA years can really pay off when they hit. Rask should be rounding into his peak statistical years at the end of this deal. As long as there isn't a regression, this seems like a great deal.

Cousin Vinny approves

Edited by super_dave_1

Got my reading all the way to realm before the NTC came up. I am pretty sure there isn't one. It is annoying that it is often not mentioned though. If Francis wants to avoid a big part of JR's mistakes it is the combination of money, term AND NTC"s. It is a lethal combination of risk. Since Rask got pretty good money and very good term, I am assuming Francis didn't include a NTC.

At $4 million for 6 years, there is risk that Rask falls way off, which would be bad. But if he falls just a little off, he would still be tradeable even if the trade is not a great hockey trade.

Anyways, it is hard to find a player in the Cane's organization that has more steadily improved every single year to date. HIs first year of camp here, Rask looked slow and behind the play. He was ok, but never really stood out. He want back an put up a ppg in the WHL, good, but not stand out. Came back to camp the next year and looked much better, but still not NHL ready. Same results in AHL. Then Charlotte and put up about .5 ppg in his first full AHL season, but improved steadily as that year went on. When he cam back in 2014 he bust onto the scene with very impressive preseason numbers. He was solid with 33 points, looking better than that on the ice. Then last year puts up 48 points, despite playing injured and again looking even better than his numbers. Just a steady progression.

Will he regress? Definitely possible, but there are good reasons to think not. 1. He has progressed every single year to date. 2. He's shown the eyeball skill level. 3. He was injured. 4. He may play with players who will bring more this year.

Seems like a good bet to me.

I'm a little surprised at the term, but for a guy Rask's age, it works out well for both him and for the Hurricanes. Others have pointed that out, so I won't.

I do look forward to seeing how he plays with a little security. Some guys it frees up because they can relax, some guys it makes complacent. Rask hasn't yet shown that he's a guy who is satisfied with the status quo.

So in the doldrums any rumors are at least briefly interesting.

This SI piece talks of Krejci to the Canes as a possibility, though in the end probably not, but also adds this:

Speaking of the Hurricanes, that stockpile of young defense has them ideally situated to land the scoring help they desperately need this season. The trick is finding the right partner ... and deciding which of their current and future blueliners they might be willing to part with. It's unlikely that Justin Faulk would be available (though his name came up in discussions regarding Taylor Hall), and Jaccob Slavin and Noah Hanifin are likely locked in as well. The organization won't want to move Jake Bean either, at least not until they have a better handle on what their 2016 first pick might become. But that leaves some promising talent up for grabs in the right scenario, including Haydn Fleury (seventh, 2014), Brett Pesce, Roland McKeown and Trevor Carrick.

The Canes haven't made the playoffs since 2009, and GM Ron Francis would love to end his personal three-year drought. That doesn't happen without improving an attack that generated just 2.39 goals per game last season (27th). This year's group will be better with the additions of Teuvo Teravainen and Sebastian Aho. Both are potential top-six options. And Elias Lindholm, the fifth pick in the 2013 draft, is poised for a breakthrough in his third NHL season ... if he amps up the effort to match his undeniable skill.

But Francis needs at least one sure thing up front if he wants to move this team into playoff contention. He'll make a move before the new campaign starts.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/07/12/nhl-trade-rumors-david-krejci-shane-doan-contract-montreal-canadiens-pk-subban

Mostly generic contemplation of all the trade fodder we sort of have on defense. But interesting that they also see the potential with TT and Aho and calls for a breakout for Lindholm, something a few of us have been mentioning.

I know Krejci would not be seen as sticking with the plan. in some ways he is the opposite of the plan: He's about to go onto the wrong side of 30, and his contract is the kind we are generally trying to avoid, rich, long and NTC. But, the guy is a 60-65 point producer consistently and definitely passable 1C. He is plus 50 over the past 3 years, consistently at or near the top of his team. Our depth down the middle would be instantly playoff caliber, as would our forward depth, and he might be gettable without having to move the beloved Faulk.

Yes, sometimes I drift one slot from the plan. Most teams add at least one guy to the base.

I very highly doubt we do it, but...

Kregci, Jordan, Rask down the middle, with Skinner. Lindholm, Aho, Teravainen, Stempniak et all on the wings? How can we not be at least tempted by that? That is a playoff team with decent performances and a possible goes deep surprise if TT, Rask and Linholm step it up, let alone Aho.

Oh, and he scored .83 ppg over 89 playoff games and is a plus 28 in the playoffs and has his name on the cup (scoring nearly a ppg during those playoffs).  So the veteran leadership thing and the deep run in the playoffs thing, and cup thing, is on the resume, which would be good for our young brood.

Just food for thought in this down time...and even if we did drift from the plan one time, he does have the NTC and could block the deal anyway.

Edited by remkin

I could see making an exception to add the right veteran but I'm not sure Krejci is the guy, especially given the major contract implications he'd bring.  In addition to some of the other concerns, Krejci is much more of a playmaker than a goal scorer.  Only 2 seasons with more than 20 goals, and then just barely (22 and 23).  If we were going to take on the burden of a contract like his, wouldn't it be for someone that's more of a pure goal scorer given that's our biggest weakness?

Edited by LakeLivin

Not a fan of the Krejci move.

How about this for a move?

Nash and Klein

for

PDG??, Hainsey, & a pick.

Klein becomes the draft sacrificial lamb and Nash hopefully gets to 25-30 goals.

Not a fan of the Krejci move.

How about this for a move?

Nash and Klein

for

PDG??, Hainsey, & a pick.

Klein becomes the draft sacrificial lamb and Nash hopefully gets to 25-30 goals.

Or he becomes E. Staal V2.0.  right when a chunk of our Yutes will need new and bigger contracts.

Or he becomes E. Staal V2.0.  right when a chunk of our Yutes will need new and bigger contracts.

Agree.  Of the many players mentioned, Nash is at high risk of an ESV2.0 debacle.

I see what you're saying but Bickell, McClement, & Stalberg will fall off after this season. That equates to 7.5 million. TT and Nestrasil would need to be re-signed. An added bonus is if Nash doesn't bring at least 25 goals we could expose him to the draft for the last year of his contract.

Edited by gocanes0506

I just read the Rask deal includes a modified no trade

cardiaccane.com - The five year deal includes a modified no trade clause in the last two seasons. The modified no trade clause includes a 10 team no trade list.

This doesn't bother me but I expect it might some.  If Rask plays like many of us expect he will the NT won't come into play. Either way RF will know how this deal plays out long before the NT kicks in.

I do wonder if this contract marks the next step in our rebuild. The evaluation stage is over (ok player evaluation is never really over) and the rebuild is beginning to add or keep the pieces that  will bring that long awaited "winning culture" back to Raleigh.

I do wonder if this contract marks the next step in our rebuild. The evaluation stage is over (ok player evaluation is never really over) and the rebuild is beginning to add or keep the pieces that  will bring that long awaited "winning culture" back to Raleigh.

I think it does mark that GMRF has enough confidence that Rask can be a consistent 2C/3C and paid him that way.

My impression of the system that GMRF is installing is a system with lots of options available.

For lack of a better metaphor, JR seemed to approach GMing like it was a vine moving through time, with a single direction with a few leaves branching off here and there but locked into his one main direction since he had guys locked up for eternities.

RF instead has a robust tree with a LOT of branches available to him.  He can prune the ones that he doesn't like, he's got a lot more branches around.  He has the flexibility to change it year to year.  So many options gives him a lot more moves he can make to correct issues that crop up, and pick and choose what to keep year to year.

Vine GMing:  Long contracts, NTC's, trading draft picks for established FAs

Tree GMing:  Shorter contracts, limited NTCs, prospect scouting/eval/draft/develop, lots in the system at all levels

I would expect that we will see this system continue for a long time, i.e. every year there will be guys that have proven to be worthy branches and some pruning.  I mean, we have already seen that we have potentially 9 guys ready to play NHL D.  We may see some pruning now of guys we would not normally prune.  And that branch hopefully we hand over the fence to the neighbor, and he hands over a cutting from his tree for us to graft on.

We have already seen some of our pruned guys getting signed by other teams.  This is a good sign.  

I see what you're saying but Bickell, McClement, & Stalberg will fall off after this season. That equates to 7.5 million. TT and Nestrasil would need to be re-signed. An added bonus is if Nash doesn't bring at least 25 goals we could expose him to the draft for the last year of his contract.

Exposure does not mean taken.  I enjoy looking at the garbage neighbors set out on the curb with the word "free" on it, but have only rarely taken it.

Chances are if he is good and exposed, he's gone.  If he's struggling, then he's our boat anchor.

Edited by wxray1

I'm not bothered by a limited NTC at the end of the contract. Sure, I'd love it to have no NTC, but players want them, and it is limited, and it's at the end.

I do think Francis is creating a push system where there the prospect pool is deep and the best guys push up, and if there are too many of them deals can be made. But he also knows at some point you need at least a little elite talent to go with your depth if you are to be a perennial cup contender. Hence he was in on Hall and Drouin. Right now the hope is multiple bets on the table, and we have more good bets on prospects with upside by far than any time I can remember.

I still think at some point not picking high in the draft, GMRF will make at least one move to gain legit elite talent. He might even still do it this year. Now, if a couple of our bets really deliver, maybe not, but odds are that at least one piece of that defensive talent gets moved for offensive talent.

Still, it is going to be fun watching these guys vie for spots knowing that they can be replaced if they don't bring it.

I still think at some point not picking high in the draft, GMRF will make at least one move to gain legit elite talent. He might even still do it this year. Now, if a couple of our bets really deliver, maybe not, but odds are that at least one piece of that defensive talent gets moved for offensive talent.

Still, it is going to be fun watching these guys vie for spots knowing that they can be replaced if they don't bring it.

I get the same feeling. The moves thus far feel incomplete. I'm not sure this will be the year to acquire an elite talent but I think we have another move or two yet to come this off-season.

This shouldn't diminish the hope I have for the players already acquired or prospects vying for a roster spots. I really am excited watching this team grow.  Even without additional moves my expectations are for more improvement this upcoming season.

I'm not bothered by a limited NTC at the end of the contract. Sure, I'd love it to have no NTC, but players want them, and it is limited, and it's at the end.

I do think Francis is creating a push system where there the prospect pool is deep and the best guys push up, and if there are too many of them deals can be made. But he also knows at some point you need at least a little elite talent to go with your depth if you are to be a perennial cup contender. Hence he was in on Hall and Drouin. Right now the hope is multiple bets on the table, and we have more good bets on prospects with upside by far than any time I can remember.

I get the same feeling. The moves thus far feel incomplete. I'm not sure this will be the year to acquire an elite talent but I think we have another move or two yet to come this off-season.

This shouldn't diminish the hope I have for the players already acquired or prospects vying for a roster spots. I really am excited watching this team grow.  Even without additional moves my expectations are for more improvement this upcoming season.

I think it is a different mindset forcing a move when you are close to a championship.  For right now, I like the approach that there is no reason to go out on a limb and just keep building.  I am sure he would make a move if it was a sweet deal but no reason to force it because we really don't know what we have right now.  We got a lot of lotto tickets but the ping pong balls are still in the hopper.