The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Krejci to the Canes? 30 years old, injury plagued, and signed for 5 more years at over $7m per. I'm sure Boston would love to snipe one of our young defensemen for Krejci, but Cousin Vinny passes.

Research the London Knights organization. Maybe unfamiliar with recent happenings? They are stacked again for next season. Juolevi and Rubstov signed there as well.

And this coming from a guy who holds the Swedish and Finnish leagues in high regard.

I think if it's any other team he would have likely stayed in Europe. The Knights drafted the kid in the Euro draft and the stars aligned.

Now I can read about him in English without Google translate.

I know about the organization byt there he will be playing with kids compared to playing against grown men in a more physical Finnish league.

The first half of the Krejic article I was sold on pulling the trigger getting him here, 62plus points for the last 4 seasons straight, vet leadership, fits the system. But then when I got to the part about 2 hip surgeries and a shoulder.....not so sure. That would be huge gamble and RF doesn't seem to do huge gambles with older guys and big contracts. 5 more years at 7mil.....no way.

Couldn't let the snippet "grown men in a more PHYSICAL Finnish league" pass without a comment. Now I don't claim to have ANY expertise concerning any overseas league, Russian, Swedish, Finnish or otherwise, but I always thought that one of the adjustments that overseas players had to make, due to smaller ice size(I guess that should be 2 adjustments) was the speed of the NHL game, as well as the PHYSICALITY!!

Thus, no matter against grown men or not, this does not seem to compute, bd58.

Yeah on Krejci I end up voting no too, but for slightly differing reasons. I know it goes against the grain to take on a salary like Krejci, and I don't like the NTC. But if there were no downside, Boston wouldn't be looking to move him. He's 30, but with this style he should have at least 3 prime years, maybe more, then at least two good years. 

The stat that jumped out at me was that he was #11 in the league in assists/60. In simplest terms, he would be the best playmaker on the team for 2/3 of the teams in the league. That instant elite forward. 

To me his contract vs. his potential effect on the team is a push,with a slight nod to taking him, but his skill set is what we need, so I'd tip over to taking him on if this was sort of like just picking up his contract.

But that's the problem. This is not just a contract dump. The Bruins want something serious back. And Francis has shown that he not ready to give much of anything back to anyone unless the guy coming our way is well under 30 with upside, and that is not quite Krejci.

The line ups listed above are ripe with potential, and to me Francis feels comfortable going with that. I do think he is still looking, and if he could have done say Fleury for Hall, maybe he pulls that trigger, but I agree he doesn't go for this one.

Assuming Krejci is good to go this year, he would make us an instant contender. But taken together, the price is just too high. At some point I still think we will make a move similar to this, but not this one.

Edited by remkin

FWIW Michael Smith had the following in his latest Tweetmail, assuming Nesty is good to go:

Nordstrom-Staal-Nestrasil

Skinner-Rask-Stempniak

Teravainen-Lindholm-Aho

Stalberg-McClement-Bickell

That line up could be deceptively good, and what's better it should improve as time goes on. 

The deception is that while N/S/N is not a typical first line, they can match most team's first lines in plus minus, and they were actually scoring pretty well in the back half of the year. But that Nordstrom and Nestrasil do is form a line w/ Jordan that works, without using up our scoring and playmaking wingers. Then we just need our other lines to outscore the other guy's, especially lines 2 and 3. 

If Teravainen-Lindolm-Aho find their stride, that is a ton of hidden potential for one of the best third lines in the NHL.  Letting those guys go up against bottom pair defensemen? Could be huge. 

And Skinner's offensive numbers are first line straight up, and Rask already put up 50, as did Stempniak. If that line comes together it could be top 10 second line, or better. 

So we play your top line even, then beat you with our scoring depth. 

That could work.

That line up could be deceptively good, and what's better it should improve as time goes on. 

The deception is that while N/S/N is not a typical first line, they can match most team's first lines in plus minus, and they were actually scoring pretty well in the back half of the year. But that Nordstrom and Nestrasil do is form a line w/ Jordan that works, without using up our scoring and playmaking wingers. Then we just need our other lines to outscore the other guy's, especially lines 2 and 3. 

If Teravainen-Lindolm-Aho find their stride, that is a ton of hidden potential for one of the best third lines in the NHL.  Letting those guys go up against bottom pair defensemen? Could be huge. 

And Skinner's offensive numbers are first line straight up, and Rask already put up 50, as did Stempniak. If that line comes together it could be top 10 second line, or better. 

So we play your top line even, then beat you with our scoring depth. 

That could work.

interesting to me that every year Skinner somewhow gets put on the third line when he is our only true 1st line scorer. I get what the thinking of this line up is and how it is supposed to work but it has to be a little insulting to Jeff. Everyone wants to say "I'm a first line NHL player". Nesty and Nordstrom are definitely not 1st liners but I guess if they click with Jordan like they did for a while last year than it could work. Still, I would rather have a "true top line" and than make Jordan,Nesty,Nords a second line where they belong.

FWIW Michael Smith had the following in his latest Tweetmail, assuming Nesty is good to go:

Nordstrom-Staal-Nestrasil

Skinner-Rask-Stempniak

Teravainen-Lindholm-Aho

Stalberg-McClement-Bickell

Great,let's drop the puck!

interesting to me that every year Skinner somewhow gets put on the third line when he is our only true 1st line scorer. I get what the thinking of this line up is and how it is supposed to work but it has to be a little insulting to Jeff. Everyone wants to say "I'm a first line NHL player". Nesty and Nordstrom are definitely not 1st liners but I guess if they click with Jordan like they did for a while last year than it could work. Still, I would rather have a "true top line" and than make Jordan,Nesty,Nords a second line where they belong.

Don't get wound up on 1st/2nd/3rd line designations. It is going to be who gets the minutes and who is on the ice at the important times. That listed first line is obviously a shutdown line, and may get the hardest defensive assignments and the most minutes. The other lines will most likely do the heavy lifting with scoring.

Edited by super_dave_1

Don't get wound up on 1st/2nd/3rd line designations. It is going to be who gets the minutes and who is on the ice at the important times. That listed first line is obviously a shutdown line, and may get the hardest defensive assignments and the most minutes. The other lines will most likely do the heavy lifting with scoring.

You beat me to it, Vinny!

I'll just add that the scoring Jordan's line brought in the second half was a direct result of it "getting" the transition game, i.e., that offense begins in your own zone. You could almost see that switch flip for that line, and Skinner's strides in his own end last year, using those great hands to win pucks, indicates that he and Rask are on the cusp. Stempniak could be the straw that stirs the drink. What Rask and Skinner can learn from him will serve them well for the rest of their careers.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

Right I understand that, do a lot of other teams have their top scoring wingers on 3rd line duty? Just wasn't sure if that's becoming more common or we are doing our own thing with BP. Seems most teams have their best guys on lines 1 and 2.

I think at least two things have led to our atypical line alignments:

1. Jordan, Nestrasil, and Nordstrom became so effective as a shutdown line that could also produce offensive pressure. 

Didn't need to put top scoring wingers on that line, plus it would not have the same shutdown effect.

2. The fall off of Eric Staal and atypical talents of Skinner, and struggles of Lindholm to raise his game to #5 overall pick, have largely left us without that classic prototypical first line.

The last time we had anything resembling a formidable first line was when E/Tlusty/ and he who shall not be named-sky played at that level for part of the lockout year. 

Also, at least as of this moment, we don't have that 70 point upper elite forward, let alone two. We have guys who might get there: Skinner, Lindholm, Aho, Teravanen, Gauthier, maybe Rask, and frankly Jordan was at that pace for a couple of months, but as of this moment we don't.

To me though, the fact that Nordstrom/Jordan/Nesty can equalize the other guys top lines, by bringing down their scoring and equalling that number, our depth could be enough. 

So we suddenly have so much depth, that a guy like PDG, a nice rising player, with upside might not even crack the opening day line up.

Not only do we have that depth, but it it mostly young guys potentially on the cusp of breaking out. Looking at our forwards, outside of Stempniak, I don't really see anyone who couldn't or shouldn't improve from last year. 

Teravainen, Lindholm, and Rask should all improve with TT and Lindholm poised for big moves up. 

Anyways, again, if our "first" line, matches your first line, but we are holding our scorers back on our second and third lines, then you have a problem. 

Edited by remkin

I guess the big unknown is what exactly can Aho bring to the line up?  I hope he is an impact now player.  I just know that in the past when we've banked on prospects to contribute right off the bat it hasn't really panned out (Rask, Nash, Tolchinsky, Dalpe, Welsh, etc).  Should be an interesting season.  We will see what happens!

A major goal for the season should be improvement in the following stats:

1 goal games: GP=45, W=20, L=25

OT Goals (win/loss):  W=8, L=11

Shootout (win/loss):  W=2, L=5

Folks, that's load of available points.  Even if the team improves to .500 it puts them at the doorstep of post-season by duplicating last year's other games for W/L.

I think they can do better.

Folks, that's load of available points.  Even if the team improves to .500 it puts them at the doorstep of post-season by duplicating last year's other games for W/L.

This is why the goaltending issue concerns me.

This is why the goaltending issue concerns me.

I get that concern, but the fault for that poor OT/SO performance and the number of one-goal games had as much to do with our inability to put the puck in the net, particularly on the PP. 

If the 'tending can be as good as it was in the second half, the speed and scoring we've added should get us there.

As always, it's about getting out of the gate. The absence of Eric alone makes me feel roughly 2000 percent better about our prospects for doing that this year. 

My point is that the margin for error is razor thin in these games. Better performance on the PP and goal scoring in general will help, but so would an improvement in goal. Maybe we will see the 2nd half performance all this season. Maybe we will trip over the starting line again.

My point is that the margin for error is razor thin in these games. Better performance on the PP and goal scoring in general will help, but so would an improvement in goal. Maybe we will see the 2nd half performance all this season. Maybe we will trip over the starting line again.

I understand.

That razor-thinness you mention affects all teams these days, but when you have the preponderance of AHL-quality talent up front that we have had for so long, the wheels can fall off anytime. I guess my point is just that with the O we've added, we're more in the mix before the puck ever drops this year - though I'll grant you that I'd feel better with Quick between the pipes - than we've been in a long time. 

Somewhere back about 20-30 pages ago I did a long, remkineque, analysis of the total goals needed to be on the cusp and solid playoffs and cup contender. There is a strong correlation: shocker. We fell short on goals allowed too, but by a considerably smaller margin. I then projected improvements and tried to predict replacements for E and Versteeg. Bottom line, I think we'll get not only to the cut line, but to the solidly in the playoffs line. But that just my prediction.

The OT and SO tallies do matter, but usually for only a few teams. Still, if we are a borderline team we definitely could be on that list.

These outcomes are where elite skill matters even more. I think we will do better with younger speedier, slick guys out there.

As to predicting Aho, Lindholm who also had to adjust to small ice and NHL speed, came in at 18 and put up a 30 point pace, then at 19 put up 39. Given what Aho has done between 18 and 19 vs. men, elite juniors, and again men in the World Tournament , I think 35 points is a good guess, but he could go higher.

Edited by remkin

Rask gets some love in NHL Network's list of the top 40 breakout players of last season:

32. Victor Rask, C, Carolina Hurricanes
Rask had 21 goals and 48 points. The second-year center played in 80 games, just as he did in 2014-15, when he had 11 goals and 33 points, and proved to be an integral part of Carolina's offense. 

Rask, 23, had five power-play goals and a team-high 18 power-play points. He scored five game-winning goals (second on the Hurricanes), including two in overtime. Rask had six multipoint games, including two two-goal games and one three-assist game. His 13.1 shooting percentage was second on Carolina to Jordan Staal's 13.2.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Right I understand that, do a lot of other teams have their top scoring wingers on 3rd line duty? Just wasn't sure if that's becoming more common or we are doing our own thing with BP. Seems most teams have their best guys on lines 1 and 2.

Pens just won the cup with 4 lines that could score, & with top guys on the third line.

My favorite interview is the one from Coach Barry Trotz  after the caps lost the playoff series to the pens!!!

He said: "Our 1st two lines were even with Crosby, & Malkin's lines, but we just had no answer for the HBK line." 

HBK is Carl Hagelin, Nick Bonino, & Phil Kessel. Kessel is your top line scoring wing playing on a third line on a deep team.

A lot of teams will be trying to match the speed and depth of the Pens. I think the Canes young core is headed in that direction!

OT and shootouts are always a major problem, need to improve in that area and perhaps increased scoring potential will increase the bar in that area.

I get that concern, but the fault for that poor OT/SO performance and the number of one-goal games had as much to do with our inability to put the puck in the net, particularly on the PP. 

If the 'tending can be as good as it was in the second half, the speed and scoring we've added should get us there.

As always, it's about getting out of the gate. The absence of Eric alone makes me feel roughly 2000 percent better about our prospects for doing that this year. 

Yes I concur,not a goal tending issue but the inability to score. I'm thinking we will see much more production this year. Let's not forget Eric was no speed demon out there, increased speed may result in more shooting percentages.