The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

I tend to agree - if anything else happens, make it something big.  Bringing in yet another 3rd-liner?  Why?  Unless RF has just completed a not-yet-announced trade of Lindholm for Quick (i wish) and needs to replace Lindholm on the 3rd...

I would wholeheartedly agree that we are counting on young players taking a step or two forward and a couple of vets at least staying close to holding serve, and if they all fail to step up, we will fall far short. That said, we don't need all cylinders to fire to make the playoffs. We could tolerate one or even two misfires since there are so many names on the list, especially if one really over delivers.

If we assume Aho makes the team, then we have a clear cut top 9 plus PDG. So if any of Aho, Staal, Skinner, Teravainen, Lindholm, Nestrasil, Nordstrom, Stempniak, or Rask faulter, we have PDG, who really is a top 9 player. If we need more, we have a bunch of guys in Charlotte from Tolchinsky to McGinn to the younger guys who could get a chance. Or even bump Stahlberg or Bickell if he's good, and bring up checkers for 4th line duty.

Just my hunch, but I don't think we pick up a lower mid range vet forward. Now of course we will just since I think that...

Edited by remkin

Now of course we will just since I think that...

:unsure: haha..every time I post something I think makes sense I think now watch they are going to do just the opposite.

In RF we  trust.

To CAR: Filppula, Valtteri & Kucherov, Nikita

To TB: Lindholm, Elias & Our 1st + Rags 2nd.

Or some variation of a two for one where we take an over paid 3rd liner(Filippula) to go with a first line wing in Kucherov.

TB gets a younger 3rd line center, & cap space to extend Johnson, Palat, & Drouin!!! All due for a raise next year.

I know it's a pipe dream, but just dream about adding a 60pt Kucherov to our line up!!!

To CAR: Filppula, Valtteri & Kucherov, Nikita

To TB: Lindholm, Elias & Our 1st + Rags 2nd.

Or some variation of a two for one where we take an over paid 3rd liner(Filippula) to go with a first line wing in Kucherov.

TB gets a younger 3rd line center, & cap space to extend Johnson, Palat, & Drouin!!! All due for a raise next year.

I know it's a pipe dream, but just dream about adding a 60pt Kucherov to our line up!!!

Probably need to add a couple more 1st round picks from our end to make that work. No way Tampa would give up a 60+ point per year player at age 22 for your offer. I'd love to have him, as well, but the price would be huge.

Probably need to add a couple more 1st round picks from our end to make that work. No way Tampa would give up a 60+ point per year player at age 22 for your offer. I'd love to have him, as well, but the price would be huge.

Yeah, I know...I was counting Lindholm as a 1st rounder :P...I would even add a high end prospect since we are stocked with them now, or our 2nd.

I have several post where I'm trying to get GMRF to call Yzerman and play lets make a deal with Kucherov, but I know it's not going to happen...TB won't really be in cap trouble until next year. Until Kucherov is signed I'll keep hope alive.  :score:

Edited by rocheccw

I really hope Lindholm improves/progresses. It seems more and more it's a make or break season depending on how Lindy performs in some shape or form.

Yeah, me too. And if he is between Aho and TT, he really has no excuse. That line should be really good both offensively and defensively given both TT and Aho's reputations. Plus, it is likely the "third" line and should get favorable match ups.

IF Lindy...IF TT...IF Aho....IF Ward Starts on time.. IF Paul Maurice.. IF Muller..just maybe, IF PK had opened the PB (pocket book) then we might not have so many if's....Laughs, my IF bucket is full of hope toooo

No point in repeating myself there. I'm just going to run with the card that we have been dealtdealt and see hoe it all pans out. At leaet the team has a formidable blue line. That's the first time I can say that in what seems like forever...

A lot of high hope for this line up as is,....there are a lot of if's. And if those if's don't pan out than this could be a pretty bad team. We still need one more true 60point guy and I think RF is still trying to find one. Same ol same ol, nothing else to talk about in late July!

And don't get me wrong, my hope is high that this could all pan out and be a playoff team. But.....we need all of our if's to live up to expectations.

Edited by danimal-ch1

The thing about it is that everything is an if.  If Semin could have continued his point-per-game pace, if ES hadn't suffered that knee injury, if JS hadn't taken 4 years to match his Pittsburgh numbers (thanks in part to a broken leg), if Whitney hadn't 'Whitneyed' us, if Wisniewski hadn't been injured, if Pitkanen hadn't lost his heel on an icing play, if Lack had kept up his numbers from Vancouver, if Versteeg hadn't been off and on.  Aho and Lindholm may break out.  They may not.  RF may package them for a 60-point forward to comes in and scores 60+ points.  He may package them for a 60-point forward who comes in with an off-year and barely scratches 30.  He may even package them a 60-point forward who tears his ACL 47 seconds into his first game and then we'll be wishing we had those "ifs" back.

I'm all for finding the sure thing (if there's such a thing as a sure thing) but with RF's 'build from within' philosophy, "ifs" are a given.  I'd still rather have that than to trade a bunch of "ifs" for supposed sure things who don't live up to expectations, and it's never a given they will.

So this is obvious but we should expect some of the players to exceed our hopes, and some to fall short.  So with so many open questions on how guys are going to perform we will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

This is the season of optimism.

So this is obvious but we should expect some of the players to exceed our hopes, and some to fall short.  So with so many open questions on how guys are going to perform we will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

As posted in the "Image" thread:

Questions.jpg

I agree, but what all the "IFers" are ignoring is that two big changes have taken place, beyond those in the lineup:

(1) Guys will not be playing on NHL ice if they are not (first) ready, AND (second) fulfilling their assignments within BP's system; and

(2) We have the money to go out and get guys IF :) the guys still here do not bring what they're expected to.

Never, since Lavi, have these two critical conditions existed in this organization. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Canes getting some notice over on TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/canes-on-the-rise-thanks-to-winning-the-shot-differential-battle-1.530926

"So, yes, the signs are very encouraging for this Carolina group – a true ‘outsider’ from our usual playoff discussions, but one that could certainly become a problem for contenders within the next season or two. The underlying numbers have grown increasingly encouraging to the point where one would be foolish to consider them as an ‘also ran’.

That brings us to the most important part of the discussion, though: What next?

The key will be systemic evolution – from a team that can simply win the shot-share, to a team that can win the shot-share and translate that to winning the goal share.

Maybe that means a bit more of an aggressive player acquisition strategy for the forward or goaltending group. I think there’s more reason to be patient with the attackers right now considering how young that core is. But, this team does feel one goaltender trade away from solving their puck-stopping issues – an area that I think people should be skeptical with, so long as Cam Ward is getting big minutes and Eddie Lack struggles in back-up work.

Either way, keep an eye on the Hurricanes over the next couple of years. Bill Peters has this team heading in the right direction, and they could become a playoff caliber team in short order."

The best thing this club has going at the moment is you have to earn it.  RF and BP aren't going to settle for players who don't.

I see the ifs as an exciting time for a Canes fan. Training camp should be great. If you have a spot you have to show you deserve to keep it and if you want a spot you have to show you have earned it.

If your sent down to Charlotte it is to give you a chance to improve and have a chance to earn your spot with the big boys.

I  found this, a 2017 mock draft from the "Hockey Writers".  Funny how we get love from some media outlets, and then some prospect "expert" just sticks us in our usual draft position.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-mock-draft-the-next-ones-summer-edition/

I'm a believer, and can't wait to get this season rolling.

I  found this, a 2017 mock draft from the "Hockey Writers".  Funny how we get love from some media outlets, and then some prospect "expert" just sticks us in our usual draft position.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-mock-draft-the-next-ones-summer-edition/

I'm a believer, and can't wait to get this season rolling.

Amen. August is going to feel about three off-seasons long. Traverse City could prove irresistible. 

On the "ifs" I would point out that we are rebuilding. The process is built on "ifs".

The two options are try to trade or sign UFA's that are "proven" veterans, or build through the draft and development model. There are risks either way. Essentially JR tried the first way. He did have some success, (Jussi Jokinen, Andre Sekera) but in the end more veterans that he brought in, or paid dearly to stay, (each of whom had a proven track record BTW), failed miserably (Semin), broke down (Ruutu), got hampered by age, injuries, our whatever: Eric Staal, Cam Ward, Jeff Skinner and more, or just didn't live up to past production (Jordan Staal). All of those guys either solidly or miserably fell bellow expectations. Basically with this approach you place far more risk on each player with big salaries, because they've got proven production numbers in the NHL.

I opened an Island based on the "ifs" based on guys with proven track records: J. Staal in Pittsburgh (60 point guy), Eric Staal in Carolina, even A. Semin, who put up a dazzling stretch of a ppg during the lock out year only to fall faster than a lead brick to utter nothingness. Ruutu had not one, but both hips operated on. J. Skinner suffered serial concussions pushing him farther from the net, and dropping him way off, even "proven" guys like Chad LaRose and Gerbe, fell off.

Now our risk is spread out over many chips in play. But now they are many young and rising chips. We have drafted well, especially the second round, but also Francis has made those deadline moves to gain even more picks and prospects (and Teravainen). Yes, we are counting on a lot of guys developing, but guys developing is the way it's supposed to go. Guys are supposed to develop. Sure some may not, but if a guy has shown the skills, and even late season improvements in one or two NHL seasons, it is not crazy to expect them to continue to develop. It may not happen, but it is the expected thing. It is what should happen.

So if you were to bet on Teravainen's point production, for instance, smart money would bet on him to improve that. If you look at V. Rask, who has improved every year, was playing injured, and is in just his third year, the smart bet would be improvement. Similarly for Lindholm, who scored 17 goals as a 19 year old, and is trainging much better this year, that he should be able to get back to closer to 20G and at least up his assists by a few, getting him close to 50 points, that is a good bet. And don't forget that every one of those names may have even bigger upside. PDG has only had one partial season, and was on a 34 point pace. He's 22.

But then looking to the prospect pool with guys like Aho, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Roy, Zykov, Saarela, Poturalski, Tolchinski, McGinn. That list used to be Terry, Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman... those guys will not all pan out. But they don't have to. The point is draft and develop and let the cream rise. But we have serious prospects now.

So there are a lot of "ifs". That's the point. The more the better. We are playing the volume game at this point. Plant a bunch of seeds and see if any of them grow up.

Most likely at some point we need to adjust our D talent for a blue chip forward. But outside of that, I like our chances.

But with all of these "ifs" is a ton of possibility too. Add to that a smart GM and a really good coach?

I have to check on the Island.

Edited by remkin

On the "ifs" I would point out that we are rebuilding. The process is built on "ifs".

The two options are try to trade or sign UFA's that are "proven" veterans, or build through the draft and development model. There are risks either way. Essentially JR tried the first way. He did have some success, (Jussi Jokinen, Andre Sekera) but in the end more veterans that he brought in, or paid dearly to stay, (each of whom had a proven track record BTW), failed miserably (Semin), broke down (Ruutu), got hampered by age, injuries, our whatever: Eric Staal, Cam Ward, Jeff Skinner and more, or just didn't live up to past production (Jordan Staal). All of those guys either solidly or miserably fell bellow expectations. Basically with this approach you place far more risk on each player with big salaries, because they've got proven production numbers in the NHL.

I opened an Island based on the "ifs" based on guys with proven track records: J. Staal in Pittsburgh (60 point guy), Eric Staal in Carolina, even A. Semin, who put up a dazzling stretch of a ppg during the lock out year only to fall faster than a lead brick to utter nothingness. Ruutu had not one, but both hips operated on. J. Skinner suffered serial concussions pushing him farther from the net, and dropping him way off, even "proven" guys like Chad LaRose and Gerbe, fell off.

Now our risk is spread out over many chips in play. But now they are many young and rising chips. We have drafted well, especially the second round, but also Francis has made those deadline moves to gain even more picks and prospects (and Teravainen). Yes, we are counting on a lot of guys developing, but guys developing is the way it's supposed to go. Guys are supposed to develop. Sure some may not, but if a guy has shown the skills, and even late season improvements in one or two NHL seasons, it is not crazy to expect them to continue to develop. It may not happen, but it is the expected thing. It is what should happen.

So if you were to bet on Teravainen's point production, for instance, smart money would bet on him to improve that. If you look at V. Rask, who has improved every year, was playing injured, and is in just his third year, the smart bet would be improvement. Similarly for Lindholm, who scored 17 goals as a 19 year old, and is trainging much better this year, that he should be able to get back to closer to 20G and at least up his assists by a few, getting him close to 50 points, that is a good bet. And don't forget that every one of those names may have even bigger upside. PDG has only had one partial season, and was on a 34 point pace. He's 22.

But then looking to the prospect pool with guys like Aho, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Roy, Zykov, Saarela, Poturalski, Tolchinski, McGinn. That list used to be Terry, Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman... those guys will not all pan out. But they don't have to. The point is draft and develop and let the cream rise. But we have serious prospects now.

So there are a lot of "ifs". That's the point. The more the better. We are playing the volume game at this point. Plant a bunch of seeds and see if any of them grow up.

Most likely at some point we need to adjust our D talent for a blue chip forward. But outside of that, I like our chances.

But with all of these "ifs" is a ton of possibility too. Add to that a smart GM and a really good coach?

I have to check on the Island.

What he said.  The biggest if is 'if this team wins more games than enough other teams, they'll make the playoffs'.  There are different ways to get there, and so far i'm liking RF's 'draft and develop' over JR's 'sell the whole litter of calves to buy 2 old cows who gave out the most milk 3 years ago'.

Hurricanes are still too clubby a franchise signing the nice guy types. As a team they lack the necessary attitude and swagger that gets teams deep into the playoffs. Fighting is losing steam in the NHL but not meanness. Maybe this season a killer instinct emerges, maybe not. Until they show some bona fide nasty in their game PNC will not be a hard rink to play in for the visitors.

Edited by 5 4 Fighting