The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2016 Off-Season Talk

Yahoo Sports did a re-draft for the 2013 draft based on actual points produced in the NHL.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/backdraft-2013--2014---2015--ranking-the-forwards--defensemen---goalies-from-the-2013--2014---2015-nhl-drafts-145732713-nhl.html?nhp=1

They did other years too, but 14 and 15 have too little data.

Most impressive:

Brett Pesce #4 Dman despite being picked #66 overall.

Most interesting:

Elias Lindholm #4 forward, with a ton of points between him and #5.

Kind of points out how crazy it would be to give up on him this early.

This team is sooo young. Every one of these young guys is subject to being run at by the opposition because the Canes have NO-ONE to push back. Lindholm got slapped around like a redheaded step child last season and all the Canes on the ice just watched and did nothing. No surprise he had zero confidence last season playing against men - no-one had his back the entire season. Whats Peters going to do?  Send Hainsey over the boards to fight? That will really make the other team respect us. We could have maybe got David Backes, but he's too old everyone says...well someone has to watch over the flock of Canes chicks while they grow and as of right now if I am rough customer on another team playing the Canes it would be easy to intimidate or beat up any Cane and no-one on the roster would do a thing about it or if they did they too would probably get their face filled in. The Canes need to step out of their boring fun, family environment comfort zone and find a couple of players with a % of snarl and reputation because right now its 100% meow and meow doesn't get you far in this league. Kane would sell tickets pulling his weight doing some nasty work while being a 20+ goal scorer. He would help some of the kiddies in the locker room gain some confidence to play like men. Comparing him to Manziel, an addict desperately in need of help, who's professional and private life is a total train wreck, is a ridiculous comment.

If you were talking about the season before last I'd agree with you completely about Lindholm.  But I just didn't see that last season, and I was looking for it.  Matter of fact, the only thing that stood out to me was the Skinner incident and I think Simmonds once or twice.  Of course, I was watching on tv so it's possible I missed stuff.  But I was watching on tv the year before, and I still caught plenty then. 

As rem alluded to, I think the intimidation thing is more an artifact of the past rather than a significant issue with today's game.  And I still have to wonder if Peters feels the same given the way he used Malone last year.  I susect he wasn't willing to take the penalties in exchange for Malone's physicality. Of course, that's pure speculation on my part.

Oh, and no to Kane imo, not on this team.  We're just too young.  Now if we had strong veteran leadership he might be worth the chance.  But we're not at that point in the re-booting of the franchise. 

Edited by LakeLivin

And 2011 

DEFENSEMEN

Draft position NHL GP NHL Points

Dougie Hamilton  9th overall  260 126

Adam Larsson 4th overall  274  69

Jonas Brodin  10th overall  263  54

Oscar Klefbom  19th overall  107  35

Ryan Murphy  12th overall  124  35

Edited by remkin

Sean Monahan with 159 points.

Go figure.

Monahan was who we should have drafted. I said it on draft night in 2013, and I still feel that way.

But I hope Lindholm contiunes to improve!!!

Too late for that! Let's give Lindy a chance. As suggested above he started playing center last season and stepped his game up. He belongs at center IMO. My concern is the lack of physicality and scoring on the TT-Lindy-Aho line. All theswe guys look like passers.

Edited by bluedevil58

If I was a pat myself on the back kind of guy I would - but I'm not.

Monahan has lived up to his billing in that draft.

You do deserve kudos for that call.

I went back and skimmed through the discussion on that draft. It was probably our first really good pre-draft discussion thread. The thing went 74 pages. Lots of good points and interesting predictions.

The thread can be found here: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/21377-poll-and-with-the-5th-pick-in-the-2013-nhl-draft-the-carolina-hurricanes-pick/

Coastal was the first one to praise Monahan on page 15:

I've seen Monahan play in person.  He's the real deal, and is a man playing with boys. 

The others mostly watching on TV, a lot of scouting reports and expert analyses.  I really get into the prospect world.

I'm not condoning picking Monahan, just saying if he is there, it just seems like a good safe pick, and more along our style of drafting.

And you defended him as a player throughout the thread.

Several of us agreed that he would be the most likely JR pick. Clearly we were wrong on that. There was a post that there was a zero chance that JR would take Lindholm over Monahan because he didn't take Europeans. But there was a good consensus that Monahan was a JR type pick.

A long gone poster: TeamJelly was very early on the idea that we might pick Lindholm, but most of the board, yours truly included were more interested in Nichushkin or trading down. Really outside of a few mentions, Lindholm was a bit of a surprise. We were thinking JR would either take a flyer on Nich, or if not trade down, or if not trade down or Nich:  pick Monahan. cclifford was also down with Lindholm. By June 17th word was coming out that we would likely pass on Nich, and the trade down talk took off.

I did have one prescient moment noting that the Cane's website's write up of Lindholm was over-the-top gushing pre-draft. 

A large group on the site wanted Barkov, but knew he wouldn't be there and most wanted Drouin, but also felt he'd be gone.

Around June 22, about 8 days pre draft, we started thinking it might come down to Lindy vs. Monahan, but that was still mixed in with trade down and Nichushkin talk.

Really (nearly) all of us*, felt that there was little space between Monahan and Lindholm and either would be a good pick.

* there was one Monahan detractor who said he'd be a third line center at best, but basically everyone else said just about flip a coin between who would be better between Lindy and Monahan.

No doubt Nichushikin drew the most passion and sucked up most of the oxygen. Some wanted him bad, some wanted to steer clear of him. I wanted him, but softened when it came out that he his bad combine added to his bad World Juniors, and ended up favoring a trade down to get defense.

So where we stand it is hard to argue with the current re draft. At this point Monahan is the clear winner in the Lindy - Monahan pairing. The other guys ahead on the list were not available, and I don't think many predicted that Monahan would be at #1 at this point, but there he is.

It is worth noting though that the final verdict is still not in. Three seasons is not quite enough to close the door on particularly the pick of Lindholm. It is possible that Lindy is what we have seen and will never quite put it together in an elite way. BUT it is still possible that he was rushed, and then didn't quite get the level of training and commitment needed to be a star in the NHL and is figuring that out and could still break out. If Monahan continues to be a solid break out burgeoning star, he will likely have been the better pick, but if Lindy finds his game and becomes a 65 point guy, that is still way better than 90% of that draft class.

Promising back then: Bob McKenzey had Lindholm #5. "Some scouts had Lindholm ahead of Barkov". Many felt that Lindholm's skill set could compare to Peter Forsburg.

There is no doubt that Monahan was all of the player Coastal told us he could be. There is still doubt that Lindholm won't be. I mean that is a double negative kind of way: I have high hopes that Lindholm really arrives this year.

Edited by remkin

Swap Monahan and Lindy, and this forward group suddenly looks a lot different.

If Monahan had been faced with constantly-shifting linemates and unable to play his natural position like Lindholm, he might well have posted similar numbers. 

On top of that, Monahan has played in international competition just once since becoming an NHL player. Lindholm has played every summer since 2011--until this one. That's a crapload of hockey.  

Monahan skipped the IIHF again this year, along with three other Flames--despite being picked by their own GM (who was Team Canada's co-GM for the WCs), and offered an all-expenses-paid trip to Russia. He is, however, playing in Bettman's Follies this fall.

I'm eager to see Lindholm play for the first time with what Monahan has had for three years: steady linemates and downtime over the summer. With TT and Aho on either side, I think he's poised for a breakout year.

Lindholm definitely lost a lot of confidence (to me) in that first brutal year where he was getting rocked on every shift.  I remember distinctly how bad I felt for the guy.

I'm also believing this is Lindholm's year to really break out.

I'm in agreement with both of the above.  I keep going back to a segment they showed on tv the season before last with Lindholm and Skinner "competing" in a mini skills contest.  Lindholm came out on top in almost all of the drills they did.  I'm waiting to see that manifest itself on the ice during gameplay.  Hopefully this is the year.

I'll join the chorus about Lindholm and this upcoming season.  I'll go a little further and say I EXPECT it from him, hope to not be disappointed, and will explain why.

The first part should be simple to fix, namely get fit and be a pro.  Brind'Amour calling him out is a testimony about this shortcoming.  I think he has the work ethic and motivation to right this issue.

The second part is simply my opinion, being he was poorly fit with Eric Staal as his most frequent line mate.  http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time_on_ice_stats.php?ds=8&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=CAR&c=0+1+3+5+8+9+11+13+29+31+33#hr=&sr=

IMO Eric was too slow and not responsible in the defensive zone.  IMO Elias made more of a 200 foot effort and paid more attention to defense (despite his large minus rating).  Matching him with linemates to get up/down the ice with more pace will allow for better use of Lindholm's skill.

We'll see....

Yeah Peters has said that Lindholm, Aho and Teravainen IS a line.

That has a lot of skill. Also, Aho has a phenomenal tendency to dominate the plus minus thing. He did it best in his entire men's league, he did it again in the World Junior Tourney. I think that will be a fun line to watch and probably our "third" line.

That has a lot of skill. Also, Aho has a phenomenal tendency to dominate the plus minus thing. He did it best in his entire men's league, he did it again in the World Junior Tourney. I think that will be a fun line to watch and probably our "third" line.

Lots of skill and lots of passing... They will be dominated by more physical lines in their own zone. Hopefully one of the 3 will be selfish with the puck.

For those having sign-on problems and password update problems this is a work around I used. Here

Now back to the Linds and Finns talk

Lots of skill and lots of passing... They will be dominated by more physical lines in their own zone. Hopefully one of the 3 will be selfish with the puck.

Fair points, but I would say of the three only TT is a purer playmaker. Lindholm has a very good shot, and Aho has a lot of goals (20 in 45 games) to go with his assists playing vs men. Lindholm and TT have been playing in the NHL, and I don't really think Lindy will get physically dominated. But TT is a bit softer, and Aho is definitely a finesse player.

But note this highlight reel where Aho goes to the net a lot, and has a very accurate shot.  For the slick play watch from the 3:26 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mze_PM5BC7Q

I think you have two guys who can score and pass and one pass first playmaker.

Edited by remkin

Nice line..

Does that make Lindholm the center? I believe TT has experience at center, as well. It would nice to see Lindholm get ample time at center..

Skinner Rask Stempniak

Nordstrom Staal Stalberg

Aho Lindholm TT

Bickell McClement Nestrasil

Nice line..

Does that make Lindholm the center? I believe TT has experience at center, as well. It would nice to see Lindholm get ample time at center..

Skinner Rask Stempniak

Nordstrom Staal Stalberg

Aho Lindholm TT

Bickell McClement Nestrasil

All three cam play all three forward positions, but I believe Peters has said Lindy will center.

I think the hope is that Nesty is ready to go with Staal and Nordy, but that, given his injury, he might need fewer minutes to get into game shape. If that happens, I'm hopeful PDG gets that slot. Michael Smith guesses Stalberg is slotted on the fourth, and it's an open question whether Bickell makes the team, although the org is saying the right things.  

Edited by top-shelf-1